1. World Health Organization. Noncommunicable diseases Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2017 [Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs355/en/.
2. Blok AC. A middle-range explanatory theory of self-management behavior for collaborative research and practice. Nursing Forum. 2017;52(2):138–46. doi: 10.1111/nuf.12169 27438773
3. Barlow J, Wright C, Sheasby J, Turner A, Hainsworth J. Self-management approaches for people with chronic conditions: A review. Patient Education and Counseling. 2002;48(2):177–87. doi: 10.1016/s0738-3991(02)00032-0 12401421
4. Schulman-Green D, Jaser S, Martin F, Alonzo A, Grey M, McCorkle R, et al. Processes of self-management in chronic illness. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2012;44(2):136–44. doi: 10.1111/j.1547-5069.2012.01444.x 22551013
5. Battersby MW, Ask A, Reece MM, Markwick MJ, Collins JP. The Partners in Health scale: The development and psychometric properties of a generic assessment scale for chronic condition self-management. Australian Journal of Primary Health. 2003;9(3):41–52.
6. Petkov J, Harvey P, Battersby M. The internal consistency and construct validity of the partners in health scale: Validation of a patient rated chronic condition self-management measure. Quality of Life Research. 2010;19(7):1079–85. doi: 10.1007/s11136-010-9661-1 20437206
7. Smith D, Harvey P, Lawn S, Harris M, Battersby M. Measuring chronic condition self-management in an Australian community: Factor structure of the revised Partners in Health (PIH) scale. Quality of Life Research. 2016;26(1):149–59. doi: 10.1007/s11136-016-1368-5 27432251
8. Battersby M, Harris M, Smith D, Reed R, Woodman R. A pragmatic randomized controlled trial of the Flinders Program of chronic condition management in community health care services. Patient Education and Counseling. 2015;98(11):1367–75. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2015.06.003 26146240
9. Miller WR, Lasiter S, Ellis RB, Buelow JM. Chronic disease self-management: A hybrid concept analysis. Nursing Outlook. 2015;63(2):154–61. doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2014.07.005 25241136
10. Unger WR, Buelow JM. Hybrid concept analysis of self-management in adults newly diagnosed with epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behavior. 2009;14(1):89–95.
11. Penarrieta-de Cordova I, Barrios FF, Gutierrez-Gomes T, Pinonez-Martinez Mdel S, Quintero-Valle LM, Castaneda-Hidalgo H. Self-management in chronic conditions: Partners in health scale instrument validation. Nurs Manage (London). 2014;20(10):32–7.
12. Lenferink A, Effing T, Harvey P, Battersby M, Frith P, Van Beurden W, et al. Construct validity of the Dutch version of the 12-Item Partners in health scale: Measuring patient self-management behaviour and knowledge in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. PloS One. 2016;11(8):e0161595. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0161595 27564410
13. Chiu TML, Tam KTW, Siu CF, Chau PWP, Battersby M. Validation study of a Chinese version of Partners in health in Hong Kong (C-PIH HK). Quality of Life Research. 2017;26(1):199–203. doi: 10.1007/s11136-016-1315-5 27216940
14. Battersby MW, Kit JA, Prideaux C, Harvey PW, Collins JP, Mills PD. Implementing the flinders model of self-management support with aboriginal people who have diabetes: Findings from a pilot study. Australian Journal of Primary Health. 2008;14(1):66–74.
15. Baxter C, Morello A, Smith D, Norton L, Bentley D. A preliminary investigation of the Partners in Health scale measurement properties in patients with end stage renal disease. Australian Journal of Primary Health. 2017;23(3):288–93. doi: 10.1071/PY16095 28076747
16. Walker RC, Marshall MR, Polaschek NR. A prospective clinical trial of specialist renal nursing in the primary care setting to prevent progression of chronic kidney: A quality improvement report. BMC Family Practice. 2014;15(1):155.
17. Fotu M, Tafa T. The Popao model: A Pacific recovery and strength concept in mental health. Pacific Health Dialog. 2009;15(1):164–70. 19585747
18. Convery E, Meyer C, Keidser G, Hickson L. Assessing hearing loss self-management in older adults. International journal of audiology. 2018;57(4):313–20. doi: 10.1080/14992027.2017.1390268 29081257
19. Hawkins M, Osborne RH. Health literacy questionnaire: Translation and cultural adaptation procedure. Australia: Deakin University; 2012.
20. Maindal HT, Kayser L, Norgaard O, Bo A, Elsworth GR, Osborne RH. Cultural adaptation and validation of the Health literacy questionnaire (HLQ): Robust nine-dimension Danish language confirmatory factor model. SpringerPlus. 2016;5(1):1232. doi: 10.1186/s40064-016-2887-9 27536516
21. Ericsson KA, Simon HA. Verbal reports as data. Psychological rewiew. 1980;87(3):215.
22. Hofmeyer A, Sheingold BH, Taylor R. Do you understand what I mean? How cognitive interviewing can strengthen valid, reliable study instruments and dissemination products. International Journal of Educational Research. 2015;11(4):261.
23. Kilpatrick SJ, Papile L-A, Macones GA. Guidelines for Perinatal Care. 8 ed. Washington, SC: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2017.
24. Terwee CB, Bot SD, Boer MRd, Windt DAvd, Knol DL, Dekker J, et al. Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2007;60(1):34–42. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2006.03.012 17161752
25. Polit DF. Statistics and data analysis for nursing research. 2nd ed. Boston, Canada: Pearson; 2010. xii, 440 p. p.
26. Streiner DL, Norman GR, Cairney J. Health measurement scales: A practical guide to their development and use. 5 ed. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press; 2015.
27. Poitras M-E, Fortin M, Hudon C, Haggerty J, Almirall J. Validation of the disease burden morbidity assessment by self-report in a French-speaking population. BMC Health Services Research. 2012;12:35. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-12-35 22333434
28. Hudon C, Lambert M, Almirall J, Cook M, editors. The reliability of the french version of the Patient Activation Measure. 40th Annual meeting of North American Primary Care Research Group 2012; New Orleans.
29. Hudon C, Chouinard M-C, Bélanger A, Fortin M, Freund T, Almirall J, et al. The Self-efficacy for managing chronic disease scale–French version: A validation study in primary care. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. 2014;2(4):533–8.
30. Richard AA, Shea K. Delineation of self‐care and associated concepts. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. 2011;43(3):255–64. doi: 10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01404.x 21884371
31. Hinkin TR. Scale development principles and practices. Research in organizations: Foundations and methods of inquiry. 2005:161–79.
32. Hibbard JH, Stockard J, Mahoney ER, Tusler M. Development of the Patient Activation Measure (PAM): Conceptualizing and measuring activation in patients and consumers. Health services research. 2004;39(4p1):1005–26.
33. Wilde MH, Garvin S. A concept analysis of self‐monitoring. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2007;57(3):339–50. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.04089.x 17233653
34. Lorig KR, Sobel DS, Ritter PL, Laurent D, Hobbs M. Effect of a self-management program on patients with chronic disease. Effective Clinical Practice. 2001;4(6):256–62. 11769298
35. Bayliss EA, Ellis JL, Steiner JF. Subjective assessments of comorbidity correlate with quality of life health outcomes: Initial validation of a comorbidity assessment instrument. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 2005;3(1):51.
36. Statistic IS. IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 23.0. IBM Corp2015.
37. Terwee CB, Bot SD, de Boer MR, van der Windt DA, Knol DL, Dekker J, et al. Quality criteria were proposed for measurement properties of health status questionnaires. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2007;60(1):34–42. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2006.03.012 17161752
38. Portney LG, Watkins MP. Foundations of clinical research: Applications to practice. 3rd revised ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson; 2015. xix, 892 pages p.
39. Brislin RW. Back-translation for cross-cultural research. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 1970;1(3):185.
40. Guillemin F, Bombardier C, Beaton D. Cross-cultural adaptation of health-related quality of life measures: Literature review and proposed guidelines. Journal of clinical epidemiology. 1993;46(12):1417–32. doi: 10.1016/0895-4356(93)90142-n 8263569
41. Leppink J, Pérez-Fuster P. We need more replication research: A case for test-retest reliability. Perspectives on Medical Education. 2017;6(3):158–64. doi: 10.1007/s40037-017-0347-z 28390030