1. Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Kanzya tyosa [Patient survey 2012]. Tokyo: Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare; 2012. Japanese. Available from: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/kanja/14/index.html Cited 17 December 2014.
2. Eurostat European Commission. Statistics explained: disability statistics—health. Luxembourg: Eurostat European Commission; 2018. Available from: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Disability_statistics Cited November 2015.
3. Ward BW, Schiller JS, Goodman RA. Multiple chronic conditions among US adults: a 2012 update. Prev Chronic Dis. 2014;11: E62. doi: 10.5888/pcd11.130389 24742395
4. Vooijs M, Leensen MCJ, Hoving JL, Wind H, Frings-Dresen MHW. Perspectives of people with a chronic disease on participating in work: a focus group study. J Occup Rehabil. 2017;27(4): 593–600. doi: 10.1007/s10926-016-9694-6 28101790
5. Noordik E, Nieuwenhuijsen K, Varekamp I, van der Klink JJ, van Dijk FJ. Exploring the return-to-work process for workers partially returned to work and partially on long-term sick leave due to common mental disorders: a qualitative study. Disabil Rehabil. 2011;33(17–18): 1625–1635. doi: 10.3109/09638288.2010.541547 21171843
6. McDiarmid MA, Squibb K, Engelhardt S, Oliver M, Gucer P, Wilson PD, et al. Surveillance of depleted uranium exposed gulf war veterans: health effects observed in an enlarged “friendly fire” cohort. J Occup Environ Med. 2001;43(12): 991–1000. doi: 10.1097/00043764-200112000-00001 11765683
7. Li X, Gignac MAM, Anis AH. The indirect costs of arthritis resulting from unemployment, reduced performance, and occupational changes while at work. Med Care. 2006;44(4): 304–310. doi: 10.1097/01.mlr.0000204257.25875.04 16565630
8. Cassidy JD, Carroll LJ, Cote P. The Saskatchewan health and back pain survey. The prevalence of low back pain and related disability in Saskatchewan adults. Spine. 1998;23(17): 1860–1866. doi: 10.1097/00007632-199809010-00012 9762743
9. Kraut A, Walld R, Tate R, Mustard C. Impact of diabetes on employment and income in Manitoba, Canada. Diabetes Care. 2001;24(1): 64–68. doi: 10.2337/diacare.24.1.64 11194243
10. Haynes RB, Sackett DL, Taylor DW, Gibson ES, Johnson AL. Increased absenteeism from work after detection and labeling of hypertensive patients. N Engl J Med. 1978;299(14): 741–744. doi: 10.1056/NEJM197810052991403 692548
11. Lerner D, Adler DA, Chang H, Lapitsky L, Hood MY, Perissinotto C, et al. Unemployment, job retention, and productivity loss among employees with depression. Psychiatr Serv. 2004;55(12): 1371–1378. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.55.12.1371 15572564
12. de Boer AG, Taskila T, Ojajarvi A, van Dijk FJ, Verbeek JH. Cancer survivors and unemployment: a meta-analysis and meta-regression. JAMA. 2009;301(7): 753–762. doi: 10.1001/jama.2009.187 19224752
13. Gourdeau J, Fingold A, Colantonio A, Mansfield E, Stergiou-Kita M. Workplace accommodations following work-related mild traumatic brain injury: what works? Disabil Rehabil. 2018 [2018 Nov 18]. doi: 10.1080/09638288.2018.1503733 30451033
14. Jetha A, Chen C, Mustard C, Ibrahim S, Bielecky A, Beaton D, et al. Longitudinal examination of temporality in the association between chronic disease diagnosis and changes in work status and hours worked. Occup Environ Med. 2017;74(3): 184–191. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2016-103569 27694137
15. Munir F, Leka S, Griffiths A. Dealing with self-management of chronic illness at work: predictors for self-disclosure. Soc Sci Med. 2005;60(6): 1397–1407. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2004.07.012 15626533
16. Collins NL, Miller LC. Self-disclosure and liking: a meta-analytic review. Psychol Bull. 1994;116(3): 457–475. doi: 10.1037/0033-2909.116.3.457 7809308
17. Lindsay S, McDougall C, Sanford R. Disclosure, accommodations and self-care at work among adolescents with disabilities. Disabil Rehabil. 2013;35(26): 2227–2236. doi: 10.3109/09638288.2013.775356 23594050
18. Moorman RH. Relationship between organizational justice and organizational citizenship behaviors: do fairness perceptions influence employee citizenship? J Appl Psychol. 1991;76(6): 845–855.
19. Elovainio M, Kivimäki M, Vahtera J. Organizational justice: evidence of a new psychosocial predictor of health. Am J Public Health. 2002;92(1): 105–108. doi: 10.2105/ajph.92.1.105 11772771
20. Colella A, Paetzold R, Belliveau MA. Factors affecting coworkers’ procedural justice inferences of the workplace accommodations of employees with disabilities. Pers Psychol. 2004;57(1): 1–23.
21. Inoue A, Tsutsumi A, Eguchi H, Kawakami N. Organizational justice and refraining from seeking medical care among Japanese employees: a 1-year prospective cohort study. Int J Behav Med. 2019;26(1): 76–84. doi: 10.1007/s12529-018-9756-6 30484083
22. Seckin-Celik T, Çoban A. The effect of work stress and coping on organizational justice: an empirical investigation of Turkish telecommunications and banking industries. Management. 2016;11(4): 271–287.
23. Boxall P, Macky K. Research and theory on high-performance work systems: progressing the high-involvement stream. Hum Resour Manage. 2009;19(1): 3–23. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-8583.2008.00082.x
24. Vandenberg RJ, Richardson HA, Eastman LJ. The impact of high involvement work processes on organizational effectiveness: A second-order latent variable approach. Group Organ Manage. 1999;24(3): 300–339. doi: 10.1177/1059601199243004
25. Guest DE. Human resource management and employee well-being: towards a new analytic framework. Hum Resour Manage. 2017;27(1): 22–38. doi: 10.1111/1748-8583.12139
26. Horppu R, Martimo K-P, Viikari-Juntura E, Lallukka T, MacEachen E. Occupational physicians’ reasoning about recommending early return to work with work modifications. PLoS One. 2016;11(7): e0158588. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0158588 27367908
27. Eguchi H, Tsutsumi A, Inoue A, Kachi Y. Links between organizational preparedness and employee action to seek support among a Japanese working population with chronic diseases. J Occup Health. 2019;61(5):407–414 doi: 10.1002/1348-9585.12057 31050089
28. Gender Equality Bureau Cabinet Office. The fiscal 2018 government white paper on gender equality. Tokyo: Gender Equality Bureau Cabinet Office; 2018. Available from: http://www.gender.go.jp/english_contents/about_danjo/whitepaper/pdf/ewp2018.pdf Cited June 2018.
29. Corporate profile. Macromill, Inc. 2019. Available from: URL: https://www.macromill.com/company/
30. Inoue A, Kawakami N, Tsutsumi A, Shimazu A, Tsuchiya M, Ishizaki M, et al. Reliability and validity of the Japanese version of the Organizational Justice Questionnaire. J Occup Health. 2009;51(1): 74–83. doi: 10.1539/joh.l8042 19096197
31. Statistics Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. Labor force survey. Tokyo: Statistics Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications; 2018. Available from: https://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/roudou/results/annual/ft/index.html Cited February 1, 2019.
32. International Labour Organization. International Standard Classification of Occupations 2008 (ISCO-08): Structure, group definitions and correspondence tables: 2012. Geneva: International Labour Organization; 2016. Available from: URL: http://www.ilo.org/public/english/bureau/stat/isco/isco08/ Cited 21 June 2016.
33. Bies RJ, Moag JF. Interactional justice: communication criteria of fairness. In: Lewicki RJ, Sheppard BH, Bazerman MH, editors. Research on negotiations in organizations, Vol. 1. Greenwich: JAI Press; 1986. p. 43–55.
34. DeConinck JB. The effect of organizational justice, perceived organizational support, and perceived supervisor support on marketing employees’ level of trust. J Bus Res. 2010;63(12): 1349–1355. doi: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2010.01.003
35. Yang LQ, Bauer J, Johnson RE, Groer MW, Salomon K. Physiological mechanisms that underlie the effects of interactional unfairness on deviant behavior: the role of cortisol activity. J Appl Psychol. 2014;99(2): 310–321. doi: 10.1037/a0034413 24099347
36. Herr RM, Bosch JA, van Vianen AE, Jarczok MN, Thayer JF, Li J, et al. Organizational justice is related to heart rate variability in white-collar workers, but not in blue-collar workers—findings from a cross-sectional study. Ann Behav Med. 2014;49(3): 434–448. doi: 10.1007/s12160-014-9669-9 25472852
37. Kumamoto-Healey J. Women in the Japanese labour market, 1947–2003: a brief survey. Int Lab Rev. 2005;144(4): 451–472. doi: 10.1111/j.1564-913X.2005.tb00577.x
38. Benson J, Yuasa M, Debroux P. The prospect for gender diversity in Japanese employment. Int J Hum Resour Man. 2007;18(5): 890–907. doi: 10.1080/09585190701249495
39. The Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training. Danzyo seisyainno carrier to ryouritushienni kansuru tyousa kekka [The survey about the carrier and the balance support among the male and female full-time workers]. Tokyo: The Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training; 2014. Available from: URL: https://www.jil.go.jp/institute/research/2014/119.html Cited 31 March 2014.
40. Inoue A, Kawakami N, Eguchi H, Miyaki K, Tsutsumi A. Organizational justice and physiological coronary heart disease risk factors in Japanese employees: a cross-sectional study. Int J Behav Med. 2015;22(6): 775–785. doi: 10.1007/s12529-015-9480-4 25792152
41. Boot CR, Koppes LL, van den Bossche SN, Anema JR, van der Beek AJ. Relation between perceived health and sick leave in employees with a chronic illness. J Occup Rehabil. 2011;21(2): 211–219. doi: 10.1007/s10926-010-9273-1 21153689
42. de Wind A, Boot CRL, Sewdas R, Scharn M, van den Heuvel SG, van der Beek AJ. Do work characteristics predict health deterioration among employees with chronic diseases? J Occup Rehabil. 2018;28(2): 289–297. doi: 10.1007/s10926-017-9716-z 28660365
43. Kontos EZ, Emmons KM, Puleo E, Viswanath K. Contribution of communication inequalities to disparities in human papillomavirus vaccine awareness and knowledge. Am J Public Health. 2012;102(10): 1911–1920. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300435 22970692
44. Wang MP, Wang X, Lam TH, Viswanath K, Chan SS. Health information seeking partially mediated the association between socioeconomic status and self-rated health among Hong Kong Chinese. PLoS One. 2013;8(12): e82720. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0082720 24349347