1. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, (2018), Specialist Homelessness Services annual report 2017–18, Canberra, AIHW. [20/7/2018]. Available from https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/homelessness-services/specialist-homelessness-services-2017-18/contents/contents
2. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Census of Population and Housing: Estimating homelessness, 2016 Canberra, ACT: Australian Bureau of Statistics; 2016 [20/7/2018]. Available from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/PrimaryMainFeatures/2049.0?OpenDocument.
3. Australian Bureau of Statistics 2016 [cited 8 Nov 2017]. In 4906.0—Personal Safety, Australia, 2016: Key Findings [Internet]. Canberra, ACT, Australia. Available from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4906.0
4. Baker CK, Cook SL, Norris FH. Domestic violence and housing problems: a contextual analysis of women’s help-seeking, received informal support and formal system response. Violence Against Women. 2003; 9:7, 754–783. doi: 10.1177/1077801203009007002
5. Australian Human Rights Commission, Fact sheet: Domestic and family violence—a workplace issue, a discrimination issue, 4 Dec 2014. https://www.humanrights.gov.au/our-work/sex-discrimination/publications/fact-sheet-domestic-and-family-violence-workplace-issue#fn19
6. Everson N, Levett-Jones T, Lapkin S, Pitt V, Van Der Riet P, Rossiter R et al. Measuring the impact of a 3D simulation experience on nursing students’ cultural empathy using a modified version of the Kiersma-Chen Empathy Scale. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 2015; 24, 2849–2858 doi: 10.1111/jocn.12893 26178187
7. Levett-Jones T, et al. Measuring the impact of a point-of-view disability simulation on nursing students’ empathy using the comprehensive state empathy scale. Nurse Education Today. 2017; 57:75–81. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2017.09.007
8. Everson N, Levett-Jones T, Pitt V. The impact of educational interventions on the empathic concern of health professional students: A literature review. Nurse Education in Practice. 2018; 31:104–111. doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2018.05.015 29852474
9. Hess J, Fila N. The manifestation of empathy within design: findings from a service-learning course, CoDesign, 2016;12:1–2, 93–111, doi: 10.1080/15710882.2015.1135243
10. Everson N, Levett-Jones T, Pitt V, Lapkin S, Van Der Riet P, Rossiter R et al. Analysis of the empathic concern subscale of the emotional response questionnaire in a study evaluating the impact of a 3D cultural simulation. International Journal of Nursing Education Studies, 2018;15:1, 1–14.
11. Nowak M, The Complicated history of Einfuhlung, ARGUMENT: Biannual Philosophical Journal, 1/2011, No. 2, 301–326
12. Garramone V. Einfühlung and architecture: About language from things to design criteria, Archi-DOCT, July 2013; 1:1,73, Available from http://www.enhsa.net/archidoct/
13. Lanzoni S. Empathy: a history, New Haven: Yale University Press; 2018, 8
14. Davis MH. Empathy. In: Stets JE, Turner JH, editors. Handbook of Sociology and Social Research, New York: Springer; 2006. pp. 443–466
15. Krznaric R. Empathy: Why it matters, and how to get it, New York: Ebury; 2015
16. Bloom P. Empathy and its discontents, Trends in Cognitive Sciences. 2017; 21:1, 24–31, doi: 10.1016/j.tics.2016.11.004 27916513
17. Zurek PP, Scheithauer H. Towards a more precise conceptualization of empathy: An integrative review of literature on definitions, associated functions and developmental trajectories. International Journal of Developmental Science. 2017;11:3–4, 57–68. doi: 10.3233/DEV-16224
18. Courtney-Pratt H, Levett-Jones T, Lapkin S, Pitt V, Gilligan C, Rossiter R et al. Development and psychometric testing of the Satisfaction with Cultural Simulation Experience Scale. Nurse Education in Practice. 2015; 15:6, 530–536. doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2015.07.009 26320780
19. Dean S, Foureur M, Zaslawski C, Newton-John T, Yu N, Pappas E. The effects of a structured mindfulness program on the development of empathy in healthcare students. NursingPlus Open. 2017; 3:1–5. Available at http://www.nursingplusopen.com/article/S2352-9008(16)30020-6/fulltext#s0025.
20. Batt-Rawden SA, et al. Teaching empathy to medical students: an updated, systematic review. Academic Medicine. 2013; 88:8, 1171–1177 doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e318299f3e3 23807099
21. Fuertes J., Anard P., Haggerty G., Kestenbaum M & Rosenblum G. The Physician–patient Working Alliance and patient Psychological Attachment, Adherence, Outcome Expectations, and Satisfaction in a Sample of Rheumatology Patients. Journal of Behavioural Medicine. 2015. 41 (2): 60–68
22. Reynolds WJ, Scott B. Do nurses and other professional helpers normally display much empathy? Journal of Advanced Nursing, 2000;31: 226–234. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01242.x 10632813
23. Rees-Lewis J. Patient views on quality care in general practice: Literature review, Social Science & Medicine. 1994; 39:5, 655–670, doi: 10.1016/0277-9536(94)90022-1
24. Wagner K & Blower J. Animating architecture: empathy and architectonic space. Art in Translation, 2014;6:4, 399–435, doi: 10.1080/17561310.2014.11425537
25. Lifchez R. Teaching a social perspective to architecture students, Journal of Architectural Education, 1978;31:3, 11–15, doi: 10.1080/10464883.1978.10758135
26. Ghajargar M, Longo L, Gargiulo E, Giannantonio R. Empathy workshop: When project team and pilot users exchange experiences. The Design Journal. 2017; 20:sup1, S3837–S3848, doi: 10.1080/14606925.2017.1352887
27. Batson C.D. (2009). "These things called empathy: eight related but distinct phenomena". In Decety J. & Ickes W. (Eds.), The Social Neuroscience of Empathy (pp. 3–15). Cambridge: MIT press.
28. Mestre MV, Samper P, Frías MD, Tur AM, Are women more empathetic than men? A longitudinal study in adolescence, The Spanish Journal of Psychology. 2009;12: 1.
29. Furnham A. Response bias, social desirability and dissimulation. Personality and Individual Differences. 1986;7, 385–400. doi: 10.1016/0191-8869(86)90014-0
30. Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) 2016 [cited 8 Nov 2017]. In 4906.0—Personal Safety, Australia, 2016: Key Findings [Internet]. Canberra, ACT, Australia. Available from: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4906.0
31. Feder GS, Hutson M, Ramsay J, Taket AR. Women exposed to intimate partner violence: expectations and experiences when they encounter health care professionals: a meta-analysis of qualitative studies. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1, 22–37. doi: 10.1001/archinte.166.1.22 16401807
32. Hegarty KL, et al. Women's evaluation of abuse and violence care in general practice: a cluster randomised controlled trial (weave). BMC Public Health 2010; 10:1, 2
33. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) 2017 [cited 12 February, 2018]. Specialist Homelessness Services 2015–16. Available from: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/homelessness-services/specialist-homelessness-services-2016-17/contents/contents
34. Phipps M, Dalton L, Maxwell H, Cleary M. Women and homelessness, a complex multidimensional issue: findings from a scoping review, Journal of Social Distress and the Homeless, 2019; 28:1, 1–13, doi: 10.1080/10530789.2018.1534427
35. Pettigrew T, Tropp L. How does intergroup contact reduce prejudice? Meta-analytic tests of three mediators, European Journal of Social Psychology, 2008, doi: 10.1002/ejsp.562