1. Mikos RA. Marijuana Law, Policy, and Authority. New York: Wolters Kluwer Law & Business; 2017.
2. Parrish J. Investing in Cannabis Companies and Legalization Efforts in Tn Part 2. Presentation at the Nashville City Club, Nashville, TN, Feb 2018.
3. Hudak J. Marijuana: A Short History. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press; 2016.
4. Gettman J. Marijuana V. Cannabis: Pot-Related Terms to Use and Words We Should Lose. High Times. 2015 Sept 10 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://hightimes.com/culture/marijuana-vs-cannabis-pot-related-terms-to-use-and-words-we-should-lose/, https://perma.cc/2L6C-CRYP.
5. National Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators. Providing a Legal Framework When Jurisdictions Decide to Decriminalize, Commercialize and Tax Cannabis 2017–12 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://nhcsl.org/resources/resolutions/2017/2017-12/, https://perma.cc/GS6Q-8X4R.
6. Davis C, Hill ME, Phillips R. Taxing Cannabis: Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy; 2019 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads/012319-TaxingCannabis_ITEP_DavisHillPhillips.pdf.
7. Booth M. Cannabis: A History. London: Picador; 2015.
8. Thompson M. The Mysterious History of ‘Marijuana'. National Public Radio. 2013 July 22 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/07/14/201981025/the-mysterious-history-of-marijuana.
9. Lee MA. Smoke Signals: A Social History of Marijuana—Medical, Recreational, and Scientific. New York: Scribner; 2012.
10. OED Online. Cannabis 2018 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/27087?redirectedFrom=cannabis#eid.
11. OED Online. Marijuana. 2018 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: www.oed.com/view/Entry/114102?redirectedFrom=marijuana#eid.
12. Piper A. The Mysterious Origins of the Word ‘Marihuana’. Sino-Platonic Papers 2005;153.
13. Holson LM. Marijuana, Reefer, Weed: How Language Keeps Evolving for the Devil’s Lettuce. The New York Times. 2019 July 4 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/04/style/marijuana-weed-cannabis-pot.html.
14. Capatides C. Why Captains of Cannabis Industry Don’t Like the ‘M Word’. Cbs News. 2016 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/big-pot-the-m-word-marijuana/.
15. Kaufmann R. Weed? Marijuana? Cannabis? Word Choice Crucial for Mmjentrepreneurs. Marijuana Business Daily. 2013 July 18 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://mjbizdaily.com/roy-kaufmann-weed-marijuana-cannabis-word-choice-crucial-for-cannabis-entrepreneurs/, https://perma.cc/4QR4-XGLJ.
16. Fine D. Too High to Fail: Cannabis and the New Green Economic Revolution. New York: Avery Publishing; 2012.
17. Harborside. Why We Don’t Say Marijuana. Undated [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://www.shopharborside.com/blog/why-we-dont-say-marijuana/
18. Chong D, Druckman JN. Framing Theory. Annual Review of Political Science. 2007:103–26.
19. Smith TW. That Which We Call Welfare by Any Other Name Would Smell Sweeter. Public opinion quarterly. 1987;51:75–83.
20. Schuldt JP, Konrath SH, Schwarz N. 'Global Warming' or 'Climate Change'? Whether the Planet Is Warming Depends on Question Wording. Public opinion quarterly. 2011;75(1):115–24.
21. Rudolph TJ. Political Trust, Ideology, and Public Support for Tax Cuts. Public Opinion Quarterly. 2009;73(1):144–58.
22. Villar A, Krosnick J. Global Warming Vs. Climate Change, Taxes Vs. Prices: Does Word Choice Matter? Climactic Change. 2011;105(1–2):1–12.
23. Converse PE. The Nature of Belief Systems in Mass Publics. In: Apter DE, editor. Ideology and Discontent. New York: Free Press; 1964. p. 206–61.
24. Schneider A, Ingram H. Social Construction of Target Populations: Implications for Politics and Policy. American Political Science Review. 1993;87(2):334–47.
25. Nelson T, Kinder DR. Issue Frames and Group-Centrism in American Public Opinion. Journal of Politics. 1996;58(4):1055–78.
26. Schlussel D. The Mellow Pot-Smoker’: White Individualism in Marijuana Legalization Campaigns. California Law Review. 2017;105:885.
27. Musgrave P, Wilcox C. The Highs and Lows of Support for Marijuana Legalization among White Americans. In: Tate K, Taylor JL, Sawyer MQ, editors. Something’s in the Air: Race, Crime, and the Legalization of Marijuana. New York: Routledge; 2014. p. 79–91.
28. Yahoo News. Yahoo News/Marist Poll, Mar, 2017 [Survey Question]. USMARIST.041717Y.R12. In: Marist College Institute for Public Opinion [producer], editor. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY: Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, iPOLL [distributor],; 2017.
29. Bonnie RJ, Whitebread CH Jr. The Forbidden Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge: An Inquiry into the Legal History of American Marijuana Prohibition. Virginia Law Review 1970;56:971–1203.
30. Pew Research Center for the People & the Press. Pew Research Center for the People & the Press Poll, Oct, 2017 [Survey Question]. USSSRS.010518p.R91. In: Social Science Research Solutions [producer], editor. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY: Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, iPOLL [distributor]; 2017.
31. Gallup Organization. Gallup Poll, Oct, 2017 [Survey Question]. USGALLUP.102517.R16. In: Gallup Organization [producer], editor. Cornell University, Ithaca, NY: Roper Center for Public Opinion Research, iPOLL [distributor]; 2017.
32. Dougherty C. Cannabis, Marijuana, Weed, Pot? Just Call It a Job Machine. The New York Times. 2019 Apr 25 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/business/economy/jobs-in-cannabis-weed-marijuana.html.
33. Broyles LM, Binswanger IA, Jenkins JA, Finnell DS, Faseru B, Cavaiola A, et al. Confronting Inadvertent Stigma and Pejorative Language in Addiction Scholarship: A Recognition and Response. Substances Abuse 2014;35(3):217–21.
34. Wilhelm J. Understanding Medical Vs. Adult-Use Cannabis Dispensaries. Leafly. Undated [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/what-is-a-marijuana-dispensary.
35. McCarthy J. Two in Three Americans Now Support Legalizing Marijuana. Gallup News: Politics. 2018 Oct 22 [cited 2019 Sept 4]. Available from: https://news.gallup.com/poll/243908/two-three-americans-support-legalizing-marijuana.aspx, https://perma.cc/A5NP-Z5CA.
36. Gilens M. Why Americans Hate Welfare. Chicago: University of Chicago; 1999.
37. A Bill for an Act Relating to Medical Marijuana, Hawaii State Legislature S.B. 786 (2017).
38. Fairchild HH. Black, Negro, or Afro-American? The Differences Are Crucial! Journal of Black Studies 1985;16:47–55.
39. Martin BL. From Negro to Black to African American: The Power of Names and Naming. Political Science Quarterly. 1991;106:83–107.
40. Sigelman L, Tuch SA, Martin JK. What’s in a Name? Preference for ‘Black’ Versus ‘African-American’ among Americans of African Descent. Public Opinion Quarterly. 2005;69:429–38.
41. Caulkins JP, Kilmer B, Kleiman MAR. Marijuana Legalization: What Everyone Needs to Know, 2nd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 2016.