1. Rowley J, Vander Hoorn S, Korenromp E, Low N, Unemo M, Abu-Raddad L, et al. Global and Regional Estimates of the Prevalence and Incidence of Four Curable Sexually Transmitted Infections in 2016. WHO Bulletin. 2019. Available from: https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/97/8/18-228486.pdf?ua = 1
2. Geneva World Health Organization. WHO HIV/AIDS fact sheet.; 2019 July 25 [cited 2 Aug 2019]. Available from: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/s/submission-guidelines#loc-references
3. Wang K, Yan H, Liu Y, Leng Z, Wang B, Zhao J. Increasing prevalence of HIV and syphilis but decreasing rate of self-reported unprotected anal intercourse among men who had sex with men in Harbin, China: results of five consecutive surveys from 2006 to 2010. INT J EPIDEMIOL. 2012;41(2):423. doi: 10.1093/ije/dyr182 22253304
4. Wu Z, Sullivan S, Wang Y, RotheramBorus M, Detels R. Evolution of China's response to HIV/AIDS. The Lancet. 2007;369(9562):679–90.
5. Lu F, Wang N, Wu Z, Sun X, Rehnstrom J, Poundstone K, et al. Estimating the number of people at risk for and living with HIV in China in 2005: methods and results. SEX TRANSM INFECT. 2006;82(Suppl 3):i87.
6. NCAIDS NCC. Update on the AIDS/STD epidemic in China in December 2017. Chin J AIDS STD. 2018;24(2):111. doi: 10.13419/j.cnki.aids.2018.02.01
7. Luo Y, Zhu C, Chen S, Geng Q, Fu R, Li X, et al. Risk factors for HIV and syphilis infection among male sex workers who have sex with men: a cross-sectional study in Hangzhou, China, 2011. BMJ OPEN. 2015;5(4):e6791.
8. Zhou Y, Li D, Lu D, Ruan Y, Qi X, Gao G. Prevalence of HIV and syphilis infection among men who have sex with men in China: a meta-analysis. BIOMED RES INT. 2014;2014(12):620431.
9. Liu Y, Tang HF, Ning Z, Zheng H, He N, Zhang YY. [Co-infections of HIV, syphilis and HSV-2 among men who have sex with men at the voluntary HIV counseling and testing clinics in Shanghai]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2017;38(10):1363–6. doi: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.0254-6450.2017.10.013 29060980
10. Das A, Li J, Zhong F, Ouyang L, Mahapatra T, Tang W, et al. Factors associated with HIV and syphilis co-infection among men who have sex with men in seven Chinese cities. INT J STD AIDS. 2015;26(3):145–55. doi: 10.1177/0956462414531560 24737881
11. Gao W, Li Z, Li Y, Qiao X. Sexual Practices and the Prevalence of HIV and Syphilis among Men Who Have Sex with Men in Lanzhou, China. JPN J INFECT DIS. 2015;68(5):370–5. doi: 10.7883/yoken.JJID.2013.477 25766603
12. Lynn WA, Lightman S. Syphilis and HIV: a dangerous combination. LANCET INFECT DIS. 2004;4(7):456–66. doi: 10.1016/S1473-3099(04)01061-8 15219556
13. Hook ER. Syphilis. LANCET. 2017;389(10078):1550–7. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)32411-4 27993382
14. Polansky A, Levy I, Mor Z. Risk factors of syphilis co-infection among HIV-infected men who have sex with men in Tel-Aviv, Israel. AIDS CARE. 2019;31(9):1157–61. doi: 10.1080/09540121.2019.1612006 31035774
15. Diaz A, Junquera ML, Esteban V, Martinez B, Pueyo I, Suarez J, et al. HIV/STI co-infection among men who have sex with men in Spain. Euro Surveill. 2009;14(48). doi: 10.2807/ese.14.48.19426-en 20003899
16. Hernandez I, Johnson A, Reina-Ortiz M, Rosas C, Sharma V, Teran S, et al. Syphilis and HIV/Syphilis Co-infection Among Men Who Have Sex With Men (MSM) in Ecuador. AM J MENS HEALTH. 2017;11(4):823–33. doi: 10.1177/1557988316680928 27923971
17. Peng X. China's demographic history and future challenges. SCIENCE. 2011;333(6042):581. doi: 10.1126/science.1209396 21798939
18. Nations U. World Population Ageing 2017 (ST/ESA/SER.A/408). 2017.
19. Zhou Y, Ding Y, Gu K, Lu X, Gao M, He N. Motivations for sexual risk behaviors among older men in Shanghai, China: a qualitative study. BMC PUBLIC HEALTH. 2014;14(1):802.
20. Goodroad BK. HIV and AIDS in People Older Than 50. J GERONTOL NURS. 2003;29(4):18–24. doi: 10.3928/0098-9134-20030401-07 12710355
21. Liu H, Lin X, Xu Y, Chen S, Shi J, Morisky D. Emerging HIV Epidemic Among Older Adults in Nanning, China. AIDS PATIENT CARE ST. 2012;26(10):565.
22. Lindau S, Schumm L, Laumann E, Levinson W, O'Muircheartaigh C, Waite L. A study of sexuality and health among older adults in the United States. NEW ENGL J MED. 2007;357(8):762–74. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa067423 17715410
23. Huang MB, Ye L, Liang BY, Ning CY, Roth WW, Jiang JJ, et al. Characterizing the HIV/AIDS Epidemic in the United States and China. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13(1):h13010030.
24. Pearline RV, Tucker JD, Yuan LF, Bu J, Yin YP, Chen XS, et al. Sexually transmitted infections among individuals over fifty years of age in China. Aids Patient Care & Stds. 2010;24(6):345–7.
25. Zhang W, Lu R, Wu G. Analysis of the epidemiological characteristics of HIV/AIDS among older adults in Chongqing. Chongqing Medicine. 2017;46(6):815–7. doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1671–8348.2017.06.030
26. Hei F, Wang L, Qin Q, Ding Z, Wang L. Epidemiological analysis on the characteristics and related factors of HIV/AIDS in 50-year and older Chinese population. Chin J Epidemiol. 2011;32(5):526–7. doi: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.0254-6450.2011.05.025
27. Ning Z, Fu J, Zhuang M, Park JA, Ibragimov U, He N, et al. HIV and syphilis epidemic among MSM and non-MSM aged 50 and above in Shanghai, China: A yearly cross-sectional study, 2008–2014. Glob Public Health. 2018;13(11):1625–1633. doi: 10.1080/17441692.2018.1427271 29419357
28. Shenzhen Statistics Bureau. SHENZHEN STATISTICAL YEARBOOK 2018.: China Statistics Press; 2018.
29. Shenzhen Statistical Bureau. The sixth national census data of Shenzhen in 2010.; 2016.
30. Yang S, Chiu A, Lin Q, Zeng Z, Li Y, Zhang Y, et al. HIV epidemics in Shenzhen and Chongqing, China. PLOS ONE. 2018;13(2):e192849. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0192849
31. Cai Y, Song Y, Liu H. Factors associated with syphilis/HIV infection among men who have sex with men in Shenzhen,2011–2016. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2017;11(51):994–1000. doi: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.0253-9624.2017.11.008
32. Cai Y, Song Y, Hong F. Joinpoint regression analysis on trends of syphilis/HIV prevalence among men who have sex with men in Shenzhen. Chin J AIDS STD. 2017;23(1):33–5.
33. Li YZ, Xu JJ, Qian HZ, You BX, Zhang J, Zhang JM, et al. High prevalence of HIV infection and unprotected anal intercourse among older men who have sex with men in China: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2014;14(1):531.
34. Wu Z, Xu J, Liu E, Mao Y, Xiao Y, Sun X, et al. Editor's choice: HIV and Syphilis Prevalence Among Men Who Have Sex With Men: ACross-Sectional Survey of 61 Cities in China. CLIN INFECT DIS. 2013;57(2):298–309. doi: 10.1093/cid/cit210 23580732
35. Xu HL, Jia MH, Min XD, Zhang RZ, Yu CJ, Wang J, et al. Factors influencing HIV infection in men who have sex with men in China. ASIAN J ANDROL. 2013;15(4):545–9. doi: 10.1038/aja.2013.51 23708455
36. Cai AJ, Tian T, Zhang Z, Zhao XL, Ye Y, Li YY, et al. HIV infection and associated factors in men who have sex with men and also with women in Urumqi from 2010 to 2014. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2016;37(11):1509–13. doi: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.0254-6450.2016.11.015 28057144
37. Merrigan M, Azeez A, Afolabi B, Chabikuli ON, Onyekwena O, Eluwa G, et al. HIV prevalence and risk behaviours among men having sex with men in Nigeria. SEX TRANSM INFECT. 2011;87(1):65–70. doi: 10.1136/sti.2008.034991 20820061
38. Guo Y, Li X, Stanton B. HIV-related behavioral studies of men who have sex with men in China: a systematic review and recommendations for future research. AIDS BEHAV. 2011;15(3):521–34. doi: 10.1007/s10461-010-9808-7 21053064
39. Tao XH, Jiang T, Shao D, Xue W, Ye FS, Wang M, et al. High prevalence of syphilis among street-based female sex workers in Nanchang, China. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2014;5(4):449–55. doi: 10.4103/2229-5178.142491 25396127
40. Zheng C, Xu JJ, Hu QH, Yu YQ, Chu ZX, Zhang J, et al. Commercial sex and risk of HIV, syphilis, and herpes simplex virus-2 among men who have sex with men in six Chinese cities. BMC INFECT DIS. 2016;16(1):765. doi: 10.1186/s12879-016-2130-x 28003032
41. Shan D, Yu MH, Yang J, Zhuang MH, Ning Z, Liu H, et al. Correlates of HIV infection among transgender women in two Chinese cities. INFECT DIS POVERTY. 2018;7(1):123. doi: 10.1186/s40249-018-0508-2 30509315
42. Williams E, Donnelly J. Older Americans and AIDS: some guidelines for prevention. SOC WORK. 2002;47(2):105–11. 12019797
43. La Fleur F. Small. What Older Adults Know about HIV/AIDS: Lessons from an HIV/AIDS Education Program. EDUC GERONTOL. 2009;36(1):26–45.
44. He N. Sociodemographic characteristics, sexual behavior, and HIV risks of rural-to-urban migrants in China. BIOSCI TRENDS. 2007;1(2):72–80. 20103872
45. Zhang X, Zhang T, Pei J, Liu Y, Li X, Medrano-Gracia P. Time Series Modelling of Syphilis Incidence in China from 2005 to 2012. PLOS ONE. 2016;11(2):e149401. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0149401 26901682
46. Zhang Y, Chen P, Lu R, Liu L, Wu Y, Liu X, et al. Prevalence of HIV among men who have sex with men in Chongqing, China, 2006–2009: cross-sectional biological and behavioural surveys. SEX TRANSM INFECT. 2012;88(6):444–50. doi: 10.1136/sextrans-2011-050295 22457314
47. Zablotsky D, Kennedy M. Risk factors and HIV transmission to midlife and older women: knowledge, options, and the initiation of safer sexual practices. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes. 2003;33(2):122–30.
48. Heath J, Lanoye A, Maisto SA. The role of alcohol and substance use in risky sexual behavior among older men who have sex with men: a review and critique of the current literature. Aids & Behavior. 2012;16(3):578–89.
49. Klein H. A comparison of HIV risk practices among unprotected sex-seeking older and younger men who have sex with other men. AGING MALE. 2012;15(3):124–33. doi: 10.3109/13685538.2011.646343 22339079
50. Cao Z, Zhang HB, She M, Wang J, Xu J, Duan YW, et al. [Prevalence of HIV infection and sexual behaviors with both men and women among currently married men who have sex with men]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2012;33(5):488–91. 22883175
51. Zhang W, Xu JJ, Zou H, Zhang J, Wang N, Shang H. HIV incidence and associated risk factors in men who have sex with men in Mainland China: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. SEX HEALTH. 2016. doi: 10.1071/SH16001 27294689
52. Liu L. Prevalence and risk factors of sexually transmitted diseases among MSM infected with HIV: Chinese Center For Disease Control and Prevention; 2017.
53. Hong S, Xu J, Han X, Li JS, Arledge KC, Zhang L. HIV prevention: Bring safe sex to China. NATURE. 2012;485(7400):576–7. doi: 10.1038/485576a 22660303
54. Rositch AF, Cherutich P, Brentlinger P, Kiarie JN, Nduati R, Farquhar C. HIV infection and sexual partnerships and behaviour among adolescent girls in Nairobi, Kenya. INT J STD AIDS. 2012;23(7):468–74. doi: 10.1258/ijsa.2012.011361 22843999
55. Sentis A, Martin-Sanchez M, Arando M, Vall M, Barbera MJ, Ocana I, et al. Sexually transmitted infections in young people and factors associated with HIV coinfection: an observational study in a large city. BMJ OPEN. 2019;9(5):e27245. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-027245 31061051
56. Brown MJ, Serovich JM, Kimberly JA, Umasaborbubu O. Disclosure and Self-Efficacy Among HIV-Positive Men Who Have Sex with Men: A Comparison Between Older and Younger Adults. Aids Patient Care & Stds. 2015;29(11):625.
57. Halkitis PN, Kingdon MJ, Barton S, Eddy J. Facilitators and Barriers to HIV Status Disclosure Among HIV-positive MSM Age 50 and Older. Journal of Gay & Lesbian Mental Health. 2016;20(1):41–56.