1. World Health Organization. Safe abortion: technical and policy guidance for health systems: World Health Organization; 2012.
2. Ganatra B, Gerdts C, Rossier C, Johnson BR Jr, Tunçalp Ö, Assifi A, et al. Global, regional, and subregional classification of abortions by safety, 2010–14: estimates from a Bayesian hierarchical model. The Lancet. 2017;390(10110):2372–81.
3. World Health Organization. Unsafe abortion incidence and mortality: global and regional levels in 2008 and trends during 1990–2008. 2012.
4. Haddad LB, Nour NM. Unsafe abortion: unnecessary maternal mortality. Reviews in obstetrics and gynecology. 2009;2(2):122. 19609407
5. Sedgh G, Bearak J, Singh S, Bankole A, Popinchalk A, Ganatra B, et al. Abortion incidence between 1990 and 2014: global, regional, and subregional levels and trends. The Lancet. 2016;388(10041):258–67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)30380-4.
6. World Health Organization. Safe abortion: technical and policy guidance for health systems: World Health Organization; 2003.
7. World Health Organization. Reproductive health strategy to accelerate progress towards the attainment of international development goals and targets. 2004.
8. Amo-Adjei J, Darteh EK. Unmet/met need for contraception and self-reported abortion in Ghana. Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare. 2017;13:118–24.
9. Faúndes A, Shah IH. Evidence supporting broader access to safe legal abortion. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics. 2015;131:S56–S9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2015.03.018.
10. Adjei G, Enuameh Y, Asante KP, Baiden F, A Nettey OE, Abubakari S, et al. Predictors of abortions in Rural Ghana: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2015;15(1):202. doi: 10.1186/s12889-015-1572-1 25885483
11. Sousa A, Lozano R, Gakidou E. Exploring the determinants of unsafe abortion: improving the evidence base in Mexico. Health Policy and Planning. 2009;25(4):300–10. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czp061 20008904
12. Tesfaye G, Hambisa MT, Semahegn A. Induced abortion and associated factors in health facilities of Guraghe Zone, southern Ethiopia. Journal of pregnancy. 2014;2014.
13. Samandari G, Wolf M, Basnett I, Hyman A, Andersen K. Implementation of legal abortion in Nepal: a model for rapid scale-up of high-quality care. Reproductive Health. 2012;9(1):7. doi: 10.1186/1742-4755-9-7 22475782
14. Thapa S. Abortion law in Nepal: the road to reform. Reproductive Health Matters. 2004;12(sup24):85–94.
15. Andersen KL, Basnett I, Shrestha DR, Shrestha MK, Shah M, Aryal S, et al. Expansion of Safe Abortion Services in Nepal Through Auxiliary Nurse-Midwife Provision of Medical Abortion, 2011–2013. J Jom 2016;61(2):177–84.
16. Puri M, Regmi S, Tamang A, Shrestha P. Road map to scaling-up: translating operations research study’s results into actions for expanding medical abortion services in rural health facilities in Nepal. Health Research Policy and Systems. 2014;12(1):24. doi: 10.1186/1478-4505-12-24 24886393
17. Tamang A, Puri M, Masud S, Karki DK, Khadka D, Singh M, et al. Medical abortion can be provided safely and effectively by pharmacy workers trained within a harm reduction framework: Nepal. Contraception. 2018;97(2):137–43. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2017.09.004 28935219
18. Puri MC, Raifman S, Khanal B, Maharjan DC, Foster DG. Providers’ perspectives on denial of abortion care in Nepal: a cross sectional study. Reproductive health. 2018;15(1):170. doi: 10.1186/s12978-018-0619-z 30305079
19. Shrestha DR, Regmi SC, Dangal G. Abortion: Still Unfinished Agenda in Nepal. Journal of Nepal Health Research Council. 2018;16(1):93–8. 29717298
20. Wu W-J, Maru S, Regmi K, Basnett I. Abortion Care in Nepal, 15 Years after Legalization: Gaps in Access, Equity, and Quality. Health and human rights. 2017;19(1):221. 28630554
21. Ministry of Health and Population (MOHP) [Nepal] NE, ICF International Inc,. Nepal Demographic and Health Survey 2016. Kathmandu,Nepal: Ministry of Health and Population, New ERA, and ICF International, Calverton, Maryland: 2017.
22. Puri M, Vohra D, Gerdts C, Foster DG. “I need to terminate this pregnancy even if it will take my life”: a qualitative study of the effect of being denied legal abortion on women’s lives in Nepal. BMC Women’s Health. 2015;15(1):85. doi: 10.1186/s12905-015-0241-y 26466784
23. Thapa S, Sharma SK, Khatiwada N. Women’s knowledge of abortion law and availability of services in Nepal. Journal of biosocial science. 2014;46(2):266–77. doi: 10.1017/S0021932013000461 23953960
24. Tuladhar H, Risal A. Level of awareness about legalization of abortion in Nepal: A study at Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital. Nepal Med Coll J. 2010;12(2):76–80. 21222401
25. Rocca C, Puri M, Dulal B, Bajracharya L, Harper C, Blum M, et al. Unsafe abortion after legalisation in Nepal: a cross-sectional study of women presenting to hospitals. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2013;120(9):1075–84.
26. Thapa S, Sharma SK. Women’s awareness of liberalization of abortion law and knowledge of place for obtaining services in Nepal. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health. 2015;27(2):208–16. doi: 10.1177/1010539512454165 23000795
27. Yogi A, Prakash K, Neupane SJ. Prevalence and factors associated with abortion and unsafe abortion in Nepal: a nationwide cross-sectional study. Bp, childbirth 2018;18(1):376.
28. World Health Organization, UNICEF. Managing complications in pregnancy and childbirth: a guide for midwives and doctors. 2017.
29. Ministry of Health and Population (MOHP) [Nepal] NE, ICF International Inc,. Nepal Demographic and Health Survey 2011. Kathmandu,Nepal: Ministry of Health and Population, New ERA, and ICF International, Calverton, Maryland: 2012.
30. National Planning Commission, 2015: Sustainable Development Goals, 2016–2030, National Report. Government of Nepal, National Planning Commission, Kathmandu, Nepal
31. Ministry of Health and Population (MOHP) [Nepal], New ERA, ICF International Inc. Nepal Demographic Health Survey 2006. Kathmandu,Nepal:Ministry of Health and Population, New ERA, and ICF International, Calverton, Maryland: 2007.
32. Ministry of Health and Population (MOHP) [Nepal]. Annual Report 2073/74 (2016/2017). Kathmandu,Nepal.
33. Shahabuddin A, De Brouwere V, Adhikari R, Delamou A, Bardaj A, Delvaux T. Determinants of institutional delivery among young married women in Nepal: Evidence from the Nepal Demographic and Health Survey, 2011. J Bo 2017;7(4):e012446.
34. Poudel S, Upadhaya N, Khatri RB, Ghimire PR. Trends and factors associated with pregnancies among adolescent women in Nepal: Pooled analysis of Nepal Demographic and Health Surveys (2006, 2011 and 2016). J Po 2018;13(8):e0202107.
35. Ghimire PR, Agho KE, Renzaho AM, Dibley M, Raynes-Greenow C. Association between health service use and diarrhoea management approach among caregivers of under-five children in Nepal. PloS one. 2018;13(3):e0191988. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0191988 29494611
36. Ghimire PR, Agho KE, Renzaho A, Christou A, Nisha MK, Dibley M, et al. Socio-economic predictors of stillbirths in Nepal (2001–2011). PloS one. 2017;12(7):e0181332. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0181332 28704548
37. Anderson R, Davidson P. Improving access to care in America: individual and contextual factors. Changing the US Health Care System San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. 2001:3–30.
38. Karkee R, Lee AH, Khanal V. Need factors for utilisation of institutional delivery services in Nepal: an analysis from Nepal Demographic and Health Survey, 2011. BMJ Open. 2014;4(3). doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004372 24650803
39. Babitsch B, Gohl D, von Lengerke T. Re-revisiting Andersen’s Behavioral Model of Health Services Use: a systematic review of studies from 1998–2011. GMS Psycho-Social-Medicine. 2012;9:Doc11. doi: 10.3205/psm000089 23133505
40. Khanal V, Adhikari M, Karkee R, Gavidia T. Factors associated with the utilisation of postnatal care services among the mothers of Nepal: analysis of Nepal Demographic and Health Survey 2011. BMC Women’s Health. 2014;14(1):19. doi: 10.1186/1472-6874-14-19 24484933
41. Victora CG, Huttly SR, Fuchs SC, Olinto MT. The role of conceptual frameworks in epidemiological analysis: a hierarchical approach. International Journal of Epidemiology. 1997;26(1):224–7. doi: 10.1093/ije/26.1.224 9126524
42. Khanal V, da Cruz JLNB, Mishra SR, Karkee R, Lee AH. Under-utilization of antenatal care services in Timor-Leste: results from Demographic and Health Survey 2009–2010. JBp, childbirth. 2015;15(1):211.
43. Craney TA, Surles JG. Model-dependent variance inflation factor cutoff values. JQE 2002;14(3):391–403.
44. West BT. Statistical and methodological issues in the analysis of complex sample survey data: practical guidance for trauma researchers. JJots 2008;21(5):440–7.
45. Rogers C, Sapkota S, Paudel R, Dantas JA. Medical abortion in Nepal: a qualitative study on women’s experiences at safe abortion services and pharmacies. JRh 2019;16(1):105.
46. Mehata S, Paudel YR, Mehta R, Dariang M, Poudel P, Barnett S. Unmet need for family planning in Nepal during the first two years postpartum. BioMed research international. 2014;2014.
47. Fusco CLB. Unsafe Abortion: a serious public health issue in a poverty stricken population. Reprodução & Climatério. 2013;28(1):2–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.recli.2013.04.001.
48. Kulczycki A. Abortion in Latin America: changes in practice, growing conflict, and recent policy developments. Studies in family planning. 2011;42(3):199–220. 21972673
49. Mehata S, Paudel YR, Dotel BR, Singh DR, Poudel P, Barnett S. Inequalities in the use of family planning in rural Nepal. BioMed research international. 2014;2014.
50. Bell SO, Zimmerman L, Choi Y, Hindin MJ. Legal but limited? Abortion service availability and readiness assessment in Nepal. Health policy and planning. 2017;33(1):99–106.
51. Bingham A, Drake JK, Goodyear L, Gopinath C, Kaufman A, Bhattarai S. The role of interpersonal communication in preventing unsafe abortion in communities: the dialogues for life project in Nepal. JJohc 2011;16(3):245–63.
52. Thapa S, Sharma SK. Women’s awareness of liberalization of abortion law and knowledge of place for obtaining services in Nepal. JAPJoPH 2015;27(2):208–16. doi: 10.1177/1010539512454165 23000795