1. Passel JS, Cohn D. U.S. Unauthorized Immigrant Total Dips to Lowest Level in a Decade. Pew Hispanic Center. http://www.pewhispanic.org/2018/11/27/u-s-unauthorized-immigrant-total-dips-to-lowest-level-in-a-decade/. Published November 27, 2018. Accessed January 14, 2019.
2. Tarraf W, Vega W, Gonzalez HM. Emergency Department Services Use among Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Groups in the United States. J Immigr Minor Health. 2014;16(4):595–606. doi: 10.1007/s10903-013-9802-z 23447058
3. Gusmano MK. Lack of Coverage for Undocumented Patients Puts Pressure on the Health Care Safety Net. https://www.rwjf.org/en/blog/2014/09/lack_of_coveragefor.html. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Culture of Health Blog. Published September 26, 2014. Accessed January 14, 2019.
4. Derose KP, Bahney BW, Lurie N, Escarce JJ. Review: immigrants and health care access, quality, and cost. Med Care Res Rev. 2009;66(4):355–408. doi: 10.1177/1077558708330425 19179539
5. Zibulewsky J. The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA): What it is and what it means for physicians. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent). 2001 Oct; 14(4):339–46.
6. Maldonado CZ, Rodriguez RM, Torres JR, Flores YS, Lovato LM. Fear of discovery among Latino immigrants presenting to the emergency department. Acad Emerg Med. 2013 Feb;20(2):155–61. doi: 10.1111/acem.12079 23406074
7. Gamboa S. Donald Trump Announces Presidential Bid By Trashing Mexico, Mexicans. NBC News. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/donald-trump-announces-presidential-bid-trashing-mexico-mexicans-n376521. Published June 16, 2015. Updated June 16, 2015. Accessed January 14, 2019.
8. Desjardins L. What is Donald Trump’s 10-Point immigration plan? PBS NewsHour. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/donald-trumps-10-point-immigration-plan. Published September 1, 2016. Accessed January 14, 2019.
9. Osnos E. President Trump’s First Term. The New Yorker. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/09/26/president-trumps-first-term. Published September 26, 2016. Accessed January 14, 2019.
10. Trump DJ. Executive Order 13768: Enhancing Public Safety in the Interior of the United States. The White House, Office of the Press Secretary. https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-enhancing-public-safety-interior-united-states/. Published January 25, 2017. Accessed January 14, 2019.
11. Gamboa S, Soto VD, Nuño SA. Trump Ends Convention as He Started Campaign: Linking Immigrants to Crime. NBC News. https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-conventions/trump-ends-convention-he-started-campaign-linking-immigrants-crime-n614551. Published July 21, 2016. Updated July 22, 2016. Accessed January 14, 2019.
12. Bialik K. ICE Arrests went up in 2017, with biggest increases in Florida, northern Texas, Oklahoma. Pew Research Center. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/02/08/ice-arrests-went-up-in-2017-with-biggest-increases-in-florida-northern-texas-oklahoma/. Published February 8, 2018. Accessed January 14, 2019.
13. McCarthy J. Immigration Up Sharply as Most Important U.S. Problem. Gallup. https://news.gallup.com/poll/244925/immigration-sharply-important-problem.aspx. Published November 20, 2018. Accessed January 14, 2019.
14. Tinney D, Quinlan S. Explaining the Trump Victory: Populist Sentiments and the 2016 Presidential Election. Comparative Study of Electoral Systems (CSES). Published May 3, 2017. Accessed January 14, 2019.
15. American Immigration Council. US Citizen Children Impacted by Immigration Enforcement. https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/us-citizen-children-impacted-immigration-enforcement. Published May 23, 2018. Accessed January 31, 2019.
16. Harris PA, Taylor R, Thielke R, Payne J, Gonzalez N, Conde JG. Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support. J Biomed Inform. 2009 Apr;42(2):377–81. Epub 2008 Sep 30. doi: 10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010 18929686.
17. Ortega AN, McKenna RM, Kemmick Pintor J, Langellier BA, Roby DH, Pourat N, et al. Health Care Access and Physical and Behavioral Health Among Undocumented Latinos in California. Med Care. 2018 Nov;56(11):919–26. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000985 30216201
18. Hacker K, Anies M, Folb BL, Zallman L. Barriers to health care for undocumented immigrants: a literature review. Risk Manag Healthc Policy 2015;8:175–83. doi: 10.2147/RMHP.S70173 26586971
19. Sommers BD. Stuck between Health and Immigration Reform—Care for Undocumented Immigrants. New Engl J Med 2013;369:593–5. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp1306636 23883331
20. Zallman L, Finnegan KE, Himmelstein DU, Touw S, Woolhandler S. Implications of Changing Public Charge Immigration Rules for Children Who Need Medical Care. JAMA Pediatr [Internet]. 2019 Jul 1 [cited 2019 Oct 10];173(9):e191744. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.1744
21. Katz MH, Chokshi DA. The "Public Charge" Proposal and Public Health: Implications for Patients and Clinicians. JAMA 2018;320:2075–6. doi: 10.1001/jama.2018.16391 30285073
22. Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds: A Proposed Rule by the Homeland Security Department on 10/10/2018. 83 FR 51114. https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/10/10/2018-21106/inadmissibility-on-public-charge-grounds
23. State of California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General. Hate Crime in California 2017. OpenJustice. https://openjustice.doj.ca.gov/resources/publications. Published July 9, 2018. Accessed January 29, 2019.
24. Watson T. Inside the Refrigerator: Immigration Enforcement and Chilling Effects in Medicaid Participation. Am Econ J: Economic Policy 2014;6:313–38.
25. Batalova J, Fix M, Greenberg M. Chilling Effects: The Expected Public Charge Rule and Its Impact on Legal Immigrant Families’ Public Benefits Use. https://www.migrationpolicy.org/research/chilling-effects-expected-public-charge-rule-impact-legal-immigrant-families. Published June 2018. Accessed January 31, 2019
26. Lopez WD, Kruger DJ, Delva J, Llanes M, Ledón C, Waller A, et al. Health Implications of an Immigration Raid: Findings from a Latino Community in the Midwestern United States. J Immigr Minor Health 2017;19:702–8. doi: 10.1007/s10903-016-0390-6 27041120
27. National Immigration Law Center. Rights: Immigration Enforcement at Health Care Facilities [Internet]. National Immigration Law Center. 2019 [cited 27 August 2019]. Available from:https://www.nilc.org/get-involved/community-education-resources/know-your-rights/health-provider-patient-rights-imm-enf/
28. LA County Office of Immigrant Affairs. Your Rights [Internet]. LA County Office of Immigrant Affairs. 2019 [cited 27 August 2019]. Available from: http://oia.lacounty.gov/know-your-rights/
29. Asad AL, Clair M. Racialized legal status as a social determinant of health. Soc Sci Med 2018;199:19–28. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2017.03.010 28359580
30. Samra S, Taira BR, Pinheiro E, Trotzky-Sirr R, Schneberk T. Undocumented Patients in the Emergency Department: Challenges and Opportunities. West J Emerg Med. 2019 Aug 12. doi: 10.5811/westjem.2019.7.41489 [Epub ahead of print]
31. Castaneda H, Holmes SM, Madrigal DS, Young ME, Beyeler N, Quesada J. Immigration as a social determinant of health. Annu Rev Public Health 2015;36:375–92. doi: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182419 25494053
32. Cavazos-Rehg PA, Zayas LH, Spitznagel EL. Legal status, emotional well-being and subjective health status of Latino immigrants. J Natl Med Assoc. 2007;99:1126–31. 17987916
33. Statement on Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Reporting in Immigrant Communities NR18122ra [Internet]. Los Angeles (CA): Los Angeles Police Department; 2019 Apr 27 [cited 2019 Oct 10]. Available from: http://www.lapdonline.org/central_news/news_view/63831
34. Fetters A. When Fear of Deportation Keeps Families From Help After a Shooting [Internet]. The Atlantic. 2019 [updated 2019 Aug 4; cited 27 Aug 2019]. Available from: https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/595441/
35. Náñez DM, Moroti K, Warnock S, Hawthorne T, Alvarado M, Yasukawa M, et al. After El Paso, Latinos across America voice a new kind of fear [Internet]. Mclean (VA): USA Today Network, azcentral; 2019 Aug 16 [updated 2019 Aug 17; cited 2019 Aug 26]. Available from: https://www.azcentral.com/in-depth/news/nation/2019/08/16/el-paso-texas-mass-shooting-latino-hispanic-reaction-fears/1992555001/.
36. Kimberlin CL, Winterstein AG. Validity and reliability of measurement instruments used in research. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2008;65:2276–84. doi: 10.2146/ajhp070364 19020196