1. Mandelblatt JS, Sheppard VB, Neugut AI (2013) Black-white differences in breast cancer outcomes among older Medicare beneficiaries: does systemic treatment matter? Jama 310: 376–377. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.8273 23917286
2. Silber JH, Rosenbaum PR, Clark AS, Giantonio BJ, Ross RN, et al. (2013) Characteristics associated with differences in survival among black and white women with breast cancer. Jama 310: 389–397. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.8272 23917289
3. van Ravesteyn NT, Schechter CB, Near AM, Heijnsdijk EAM, Stoto MA, et al. (2011) Race-specific impact of natural history, mammography screening, and adjuvant treatment on breast cancer mortality rates in the United States. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention: a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology 20: 112–122.
4. Iqbal J, Ginsburg O, Rochon PA, Sun P, Narod SA (2015) Differences in breast cancer stage at diagnosis and cancer-specific survival by race and ethnicity in the United States. JAMA 313: 165–173. doi: 10.1001/jama.2014.17322 25585328
5. Warner ET, Tamimi RM, Hughes ME, Ottesen RA, Wong YN, et al. (2015) Racial and Ethnic Differences in Breast Cancer Survival: Mediating Effect of Tumor Characteristics and Sociodemographic and Treatment Factors. J Clin Oncol 33: 2254–2261. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2014.57.1349 25964252
6. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (www.seer.cancer.gov) Research Data (1975–2015). National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, released April 2018, based on the November 2017 submission.
7. Hammond ME, Hayes DF, Dowsett M, Allred DC, Hagerty KL, et al. (2010) American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for immunohistochemical testing of estrogen and progesterone receptors in breast cancer (unabridged version). Arch Pathol Lab Med 134: e48–72. doi: 10.1043/1543-2165-134.7.e48 20586616
8. Sparano JA, Wang M, Zhao F, Stearns V, Martino S, et al. (2012) Race and hormone receptor-positive breast cancer outcomes in a randomized chemotherapy trial. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 104: 406–414. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djr543 22250182
9. O'Brien KM, Cole SR, Tse CK, Perou CM, Carey LA, et al. (2010) Intrinsic breast tumor subtypes, race, and long-term survival in the Carolina Breast Cancer Study. Clin Cancer Res 16: 6100–6110. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-1533 21169259
10. Ma H, Lu Y, Malone KE, Marchbanks PA, Deapen DM, et al. (2013) Mortality risk of black women and white women with invasive breast cancer by hormone receptors, HER2, and p53 status. BMC Cancer 13: 225. doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-13-225 23642215
11. DeSantis CE, Ma J, Goding Sauer A, Newman LA, Jemal A (2017) Breast cancer statistics, 2017, racial disparity in mortality by state. CA Cancer J Clin 67: 439–448. doi: 10.3322/caac.21412 28972651
12. Neugut AI, Zhong X, Wright JD, Accordino M, Yang J, et al. (2016) Nonadherence to Medications for Chronic Conditions and Nonadherence to Adjuvant Hormonal Therapy in Women With Breast Cancer. JAMA Oncol 2: 1326–1332. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.1291 27281650
13. Partridge AH, Wang PS, Winer EP, Avorn J (2003) Nonadherence to adjuvant tamoxifen therapy in women with primary breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 21: 602–606. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2003.07.071 12586795
14. Hershman DL, Kushi LH, Shao T, Buono D, Kershenbaum A, et al. (2010) Early discontinuation and nonadherence to adjuvant hormonal therapy in a cohort of 8,769 early-stage breast cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 28: 4120–4128. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2009.25.9655 20585090
15. Hershman DL, Tsui J, Wright JD, Coromilas EJ, Tsai WY, et al. (2015) Household net worth, racial disparities, and hormonal therapy adherence among women with early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 33: 1053–1059. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2014.58.3062 25691670
16. Biggers A, Shi Y, Charlson J, Smith EC, Smallwood AJ, et al. (2016) Medicare D Subsidies and Racial Disparities in Persistence and Adherence With Hormonal Therapy. J Clin Oncol 34: 4398–4404. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2016.67.3350 27998232
17. Hill DA FS, Lomo L, Wiggins C, Barry M, Prossnitz E, Royce M. (2017) Breast cancer survival, survival disparities, and guideline‑based treatment. Breast Cancer Res Treat.
18. Albain KS, Unger JM, Crowley JJ, Coltman CA Jr., Hershman DL (2009) Racial disparities in cancer survival among randomized clinical trials patients of the Southwest Oncology Group. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 101: 984–992. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djp175 19584328
19. Hershman DL, Unger JM, Barlow WE, Hutchins LF, Martino S, et al. (2009) Treatment quality and outcomes of African American versus white breast cancer patients: retrospective analysis of Southwest Oncology studies S8814/S8897. Journal of clinical oncology: official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 27: 2157–2162.
20. Huo D, Hu H, Rhie SK, Gamazon ER, Cherniack AD, et al. (2017) Comparison of Breast Cancer Molecular Features and Survival by African and European Ancestry in The Cancer Genome Atlas. JAMA Oncol 3: 1654–1662. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2017.0595 28472234