1. Lozano R, Wang H, Foreman KJ, Rajaratnam JK, Naghavi M, Marcus JR, et al. Progress towards Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5 on maternal and child mortality: an updated systematic analysis. Lancet. 2011;378(9797):1139–1165. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61337-8 21937100
2. March of Dimes. March of Dimes global report on birth defects. The hidden toll of dying and disabled children. 2006; http://www.marchofdimes.org/materials/global-report-on-birth-defects-the-hidden-toll-of-dying-and-disabled-children-full-report.pdf. Accessed December 22, 2015.
3. March of Dimes, Save the Children, World Health Organization. Born too soon: The global action report on preterm birth. Geneva: World Health Organization.;2012.
4. United Nations Children Fund. Trends in estimates of maternal deaths, 1990–2015. 2015; https://data.unicef.org/topic/maternal-health/maternal-mortality/. Accessed May 7, 2018.
5. United Nations Data, United Nations Children Fund. Annual number of births (Births). 2018; http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=SOWC&f=inID%3A75. Accessed May 7, 2018.
6. Victora CG, Bahl R, Barros AJ, França GV, Horton S, Krasevec J, et al. Breastfeeding in the 21st century: Epidemiology, mechanisms, and lifelong effect. Lancet. 2016;387(10017):475–490. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01024-7 26869575
7. Lawn JE, Gravett MG, Nunes TM, Rubens CE, Stanton C. Global report on preterm birth and stillbirth (1 of 7): definitions, description of the burden and opportunities to improve data. BMC pregnancy and childbirth. 2010;10 Suppl 1:S1.
8. GBD 2013 Mortality and Causes of Death Collaborators. Global, regional, and national age-sex specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality for 240 causes of death, 1990–2013: A systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet. 2015;385(9963).
9. Meier PP, Furman LM, Degenhardt M. Increased lactation risk for late preterm infants and mothers: Evidence and management strategies to protect breastfeeding. Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health. 2007;52(6):579–587.
10. Kuehl J. Cup feeding the newborn: What you should know. Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing. 1997;11(2):56–60. 9391366
11. Lang S. Cup-feeding: An alternative method. Midwives Chron Nurs Notes. 1994;107:171–176.
12. World Health Organization (WHO). Guidelines on optimal feeding of low birth-weight infants in low- and middle-income countries. Geneva;2011.
13. World Health Organization (WHO). Managing newborn problems: A guide for doctors, nurses, and midwives. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2003.
14. World Health Organization (WHO). Breastfeeding Counselling: A training course Trainer’s Guide Part One. 1993.
15. Penny F, Judge M, Brownell E, McGrath JM. Cup feeding as a supplemental, alternative feeding method for preterm breastfed infants: An integrative review. Matern Child Health J. 2018;22:1568–1579. doi: 10.1007/s10995-018-2632-9 30328044
16. Yilmaz G, Caylan N, Karacan CD, Bodur I, Gokcay G. Effect of cup feeding and bottle feeding on breastfeeding in late preterm infants: a randomized controlled study. Journal of human lactation: official journal of International Lactation Consultant Association. 2014;30(2):174–179.
17. McKinney CM, Glass RP, Coffey P, Rue T, Vaughn MG, Cunningham M. Feeding Neonates by Cup: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Matern Child Health J. 2016;20(8):1620–1633. doi: 10.1007/s10995-016-1961-9 27016350
18. Glass RP, Wolf LS. Incoordination of sucking, swallowing, and breathing as an etiology for breastfeeding difficulty. Journal of human lactation: official journal of International Lactation Consultant Association. 1994;10(3):185–189.
19. Thorley V. Cup feeding: Problems created by incorrect use. Journal of Human Lactation. 1997;13(1):54–55. doi: 10.1177/089033449701300118 9233187
20. Laerdal. Nifty feeding cup: User guide. 2016; http://cdn.laerdal.com/downloads/f4227/Att_1_to_00035812_Nifty_DFU.pdf.
21. Dubowitz LM, Dubowitz V, Goldberg C. Clinical assessment of gestational age in the newborn infant. Pediatrics. 1970;77(1):1–10.
22. Marinelli KA, Burke GS, Dodd VL. A comparison of the safety of cupfeedings and bottlefeedings in premature infants whose mothers intend to breastfeed. J Perinatol. 2001;21(6):350–355. doi: 10.1038/sj.jp.7210539 11593367
23. Aloysius A, Hickson M. Evaluation of paladai cup feeding in breast-fed preterm infants compared with bottle feeding. Early human development. 2007;83(9):619–621. doi: 10.1016/j.earlhumdev.2006.12.004 17289306
24. Malhotra N, Vishwambaran L, Sundaram KR, Narayanan I. A controlled trial of alternative methods of oral feeding in neonates. Early human development. 1999;54(1):29–38. doi: 10.1016/s0378-3782(98)00082-6 10195713
25. Conde-Agudelo A, Diaz-Rosello JL. Kangaroo mother care to reduce morbidity and mortality in low birthweight infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;8(CD002771).
26. Chan GJ, Valsangkar B, Kajeepeta S, Boundy EO, Wall S. What is kangaroo mother care? Systematic review of the literature. Journal of Global Health. 2016;6(1):e1–9.
27. Lawn JE, Mwansa-Kambafwile J, Horta BL, Barros FC, Cousens S. ‘Kangaroo mother care’ to prevent neonatal deaths due to preterm birth complications. International journal of epidemiology. 2010;39(Supple1):i144–154.
28. World Health Organization. Managing newborn problems: a guide for doctors, nurses, and midwives. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization,;2003.
29. Seidman G, Unnikrishnan S, Kenny E, Myslinski S, Cairns-Smith S, Mulligan B, et al. Barriers and enablers of kangaroo mother care practice: A systematic review. PloS one. 2015;10(5):e0125643. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0125643 25993306
30. Dowling DA, Meier PP, DiFiore JM, Blatz M, Martin RJ. Cup-feeding for preterm infants: mechanics and safety. Journal of human lactation: official journal of International Lactation Consultant Association. 2002;18(1):13–20.
31. Becker GE, Smith HA, Cooney F. Methods of milk expression for lactating women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;9:Cd006170. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006170.pub5 27684560
32. Boo NY, Nordiah AJ, Alfizah H, Nor-Rohaini AH, Lim VK. Contamination of breast milk obtained by manual expression and breast pumps in mothers of very low birthweight infants. Journal of Hospital Infection. 2001;49(4):274–281. doi: 10.1053/jhin.2001.1117 11740876