1. Hasin DS, Stinson FS, Ogburn E, Grant BF. Prevalence, correlates, disability, and comorbidity of DSM-IV alcohol abuse and dependence in the United States: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Archives of general psychiatry. 2007;64(7):830–42. doi: 10.1001/archpsyc.64.7.830 17606817
2. Grant BF, Goldstein RB, Saha TD, Chou SP, Jung J, Zhang H, et al. Epidemiology of DSM-5 alcohol use disorder: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions III. JAMA psychiatry. 2015;72(8):757–66. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.0584 26039070
3. Rehm J. The risks associated with alcohol use and alcoholism. Alcohol Research & Health. 2011;34(2):135.
4. Samokhvalov AV, Popova S, Room R, Ramonas M, Rehm J. Disability associated with alcohol abuse and dependence. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research. 2010;34(11):1871–8.
5. Dawson DA, Li T-K, Chou SP, Grant BF. Transitions in and out of alcohol use disorders: their associations with conditional changes in quality of life over a 3-year follow-up interval. Alcohol & Alcoholism. 2008;44(1):84–92.
6. Chermack ST, Blow FC. Violence among individuals in substance abuse treatment: the role of alcohol and cocaine consumption. Drug and alcohol dependence. 2002;66(1):29–37. doi: 10.1016/s0376-8716(01)00180-6 11850133
7. Walton MA, Cunningham RM, Goldstein AL, Chermack ST, Zimmerman MA, Bingham CR, et al. Rates and correlates of violent behaviors among adolescents treated in an urban emergency department. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2009;45(1):77–83. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2008.12.005 19541253
8. Goldstick JE, Lipton RI, Carter P, Stoddard SA, Newton MF, Reischl T, et al. The effect of neighborhood context on the relationship between substance misuse and weapons aggression in urban adolescents seeking ED care. Substance use & misuse. 2015;50(5):674–84.
9. Goldstick JE, Bohnert KM, Davis AK, Bonar EE, Carter PM, Walton MA, et al. Dual trajectories of depression/anxiety symptoms and alcohol use, and their implications for violence outcomes among drug-using urban youth. Alcohol and alcoholism. 2018.
10. Chou SP, Dawson DA, Stinson FS, Huang B, Pickering RP, Zhou Y, et al. The prevalence of drinking and driving in the United States, 2001–2002: results from the national epidemiological survey on alcohol and related conditions. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2006;83(2):137–46. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2005.11.001 16364565
11. Fisher JC, Bang H, Kapiga SH. The association between HIV infection and alcohol use: a systematic review and meta-analysis of African studies. Sexually transmitted diseases. 2007;34(11):856–63. doi: 10.1097/OLQ.0b013e318067b4fd 18049422
12. Walton MA, Resko S, Whiteside L, Chermack ST, Zimmerman M, Cunningham RM. Sexual risk behaviors among teens at an urban emergency department: relationship with violent behaviors and substance use. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2011;48(3):303–5. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.07.005 21338903
13. Johnston LD, Omalley P, Bachman J, Schulenberg J, Miech R. Monitoring future national survey results on drug use 1975–2013. Michigan: The National Institute on Drug Abuse, The National Institutes of Health. 2013:85.
14. Hakkarainen P, Metso L. Joint use of drugs and alcohol. European addiction research. 2009;15(2):113–20. doi: 10.1159/000209244 19293569
15. McCarty CA, Wymbs BT, King KM, Mason WA, Stoep AV, McCauley E, et al. Developmental consistency in associations between depressive symptoms and alcohol use in early adolescence. Journal of studies on alcohol and drugs. 2012;73(3):444–53. doi: 10.15288/jsad.2012.73.444 22456249
16. Caldwell TM, Rodgers B, Jorm AF, Christensen H, Jacomb PA, Korten AE, et al. Patterns of association between alcohol consumption and symptoms of depression and anxiety in young adults. Addiction. 2002;97(5):583–94. doi: 10.1046/j.1360-0443.2002.00092.x 12033659.
17. Steinberg L, Fletcher A, Darling N. Parental monitoring and peer influences on adolescent substance use. Pediatrics. 1994;93(6):1060–4.
18. Walden B, McGue M, Burt SA, Elkins I. Identifying shared environmental contributions to early substance use: the respective roles of peers and parents. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. 2004;113(3):440. doi: 10.1037/0021-843X.113.3.440 15311989
19. Steinberg L, Monahan KC. Age differences in resistance to peer influence. Developmental psychology. 2007;43(6):1531. doi: 10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1681 18020830
20. Bonar EE, Goldstick JE, Cunningham RM, Fernandez AC, Davis AK, Ilgen MA, et al. Individual and social factors related to trajectories of blackouts among underage drinkers in the emergency department. Alcohol and alcoholism. 2019.
21. Hawkins JD, Catalano RF, Miller JY. Risk and protective factors for alcohol and other drug problems in adolescence and early adulthood: implications for substance abuse prevention. Psychological bulletin. 1992;112(1):64. doi: 10.1037/0033-2909.112.1.64 1529040
22. Ellis DA, Zucker RA, Fitzgerald HE. The role of family influences in development and risk. Alcohol Research and Health. 1997;21(3):218.
23. Chen MJ, Grube JW, Gruenewald PJ. Community alcohol outlet density and underage drinking. Addiction. 2010;105(2):270–8. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2009.02772.x 20078485
24. Bryden A, Roberts B, McKee M, Petticrew M. A systematic review of the influence on alcohol use of community level availability and marketing of alcohol. Health & place. 2012;18(2):349–57.
25. Goldstick JE, Heinze JE, Stoddard SA, Cunningham RM, Zimmerman MA. Age‐Specific Associations Between Violence Exposure and Past 30‐Day Marijuana and Alcohol Use. Journal of research on adolescence. 2018.
26. Scheier LM, Botvin GJ, Baker E. Risk and protective factors as predictors of adolescent alcohol involvement and transitions in alcohol use: a prospective analysis. Journal of Studies on Alcohol. 1997;58(6):652–67. doi: 10.15288/jsa.1997.58.652 9391926
27. Bucholz KK, McCutcheon VV, Agrawal A, Dick DM, Hesselbrock VM, Kramer JR, et al. Comparison of parent, peer, psychiatric, and cannabis use influences across stages of offspring alcohol involvement: evidence from the COGA prospective study. Alcoholism: clinical and experimental research. 2017;41(2):359–68.
28. Cunningham RM, Ranney M, Newton M, Woodhull W, Zimmerman M, Walton MA. Characteristics of youth seeking emergency care for assault injuries. Pediatrics. 2014;133(1):e96–e105. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-1864 24323994
29. Bohnert KM, Walton MA, Ranney M, Bonar EE, Blow FC, Zimmerman MA, et al. Understanding the service needs of assault-injured, drug-using youth presenting for care in an urban Emergency Department. Addictive Behaviors. 2015;41:97–105. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2014.09.019 25452051
30. Cunningham RM, Carter PM, Ranney M, Zimmerman MA, Blow FC, Booth BM, et al. Violent reinjury and mortality among youth seeking emergency department care for assault-related injury: a 2-year prospective cohort study. JAMA pediatrics. 2015;169(1):63–70. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.1900 25365147
31. Carter PM, Walton MA, Roehler DR, Goldstick J, Zimmerman MA, Blow FC, et al. Firearm violence among high-risk emergency department youth after an assault injury. Pediatrics. 2015;135(5):805–15. doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-3572 25847808
32. Goldstick JE, Carter PM, Walton MA, Dahlberg LL, Sumner SA, Zimmerman MA, et al. Development of the SaFETy score: a clinical screening tool for predicting future firearm violence risk. Annals of internal medicine. 2017;166(10):707–14. doi: 10.7326/M16-1927 28395357
33. Cunningham R, Knox L, Fein J, Harrison S, Frisch K, Walton M, et al. Before and after the trauma bay: the prevention of violent injury among youth. Annals of emergency medicine. 2009;53(4):490–500. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2008.11.014 19162376
34. Maio RF, Shope JT, Blow FC, Gregor MA, Zakrajsek JS, Weber JE, et al. A randomized controlled trial of an emergency department–based interactive computer program to prevent alcohol misuse among injured adolescents. Annals of emergency medicine. 2005;45(4):420–9. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2004.10.013 15795723
35. Kuntsche E, Knibbe R, Gmel G, Engels R. Why do young people drink? A review of drinking motives. Clinical Psychology Review. 2005;25(7):841–61. doi: 10.1016/j.cpr.2005.06.002 16095785
36. Cunningham R, Walton MA, Weber JE, O'Broin S, Tripathi SP, Maio RF, et al. One-year medical outcomes and emergency department recidivism after emergency department observation for cocaine-associated chest pain. Annals of emergency medicine. 2009;53(3):310–20. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2008.07.018 18824277
37. Walton MA, Chermack ST, Shope JT, Bingham CR, Zimmerman MA, Blow FC, et al. Effects of a brief intervention for reducing violence and alcohol misuse among adolescents: a randomized controlled trial. Jama. 2010;304(5):527–35. doi: 10.1001/jama.2010.1066 20682932
38. Roche J, Clery M, Carter PM, Dora-Laskey A, Walton MA, Ngo Q, et al. Tracking Assault‐injured, Drug‐using Youth in Longitudinal Research: Follow‐up Methods. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2018. |https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.13495.
39. Sheehan DV, Lecrubier Y, Sheehan KH, Amorim P, Janavs J, Weiller E, et al. The Mini-International Neuropsychiatric Interview (MINI): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10. Journal of clinical psychiatry. 1998.
40. Handelsman L, Stein JA, Grella CE. Contrasting predictors of readiness for substance abuse treatment in adults and adolescents: A latent variable analysis of DATOS and DATOS-A participants. Drug and alcohol dependence. 2005;80(1):63–81. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2005.03.022 15894434
41. Sieving RE, Beuhring T, Resnick MD, Bearinger LH, Shew M, Ireland M, et al. Development of adolescent self-report measures from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. Journal of adolescent health. 2001;28(1):73–81. doi: 10.1016/s1054-139x(00)00155-5 11137909
42. Humeniuk R, Ali R, Babor TF, Farrell M, Formigoni ML, Jittiwutikarn J, et al. Validation of the alcohol, smoking and substance involvement screening test (ASSIST). Addiction. 2008;103(6):1039–47. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2007.02114.x 18373724
43. Piersma HL, Reaume WM, Boes JL. The Brief Symptom Inventory (BSI) as an outcome measure for adult psychiatric inpatients. Journal of clinical psychology. 1994;50(4):555–63. doi: 10.1002/1097-4679(199407)50:4<555::aid-jclp2270500410>3.0.co;2-g 7983203
44. Procidano ME, Heller K. Measures of perceived social support from friends and from family: Three validation studies. American journal of community psychology. 1983;11(1):1–24. doi: 10.1007/bf00898416 6837532
45. Zimmerman M. Flint [Michigan] Adolescent Study (FAS): A Longitudinal Study of School Dropout and Substance Use, 1994–1997. Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) [distributor]; 2014.
46. Zimmerman MA, Caldwell CH, Bernat DH. Discrepancy Between Self‐Report and School‐Record Grade Point Average: Correlates With Psychosocial Outcomes Among African American Adolescents 1. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. 2002;32(1):86–109.
47. Straus MA, Hamby SL, Boney-McCoy S, Sugarman DB. The revised conflict tactics scales (CTS2) development and preliminary psychometric data. Journal of family issues. 1996;17(3):283–316.
48. Jackson CH. Multi-state models for panel data: the msm package for R. Journal of Statistical Software. 2011;38(8):1–29.
49. Aguirre‐Hernández R, Farewell V. A Pearson‐type goodness‐of‐fit test for stationary and time‐continuous Markov regression models. Statistics in medicine. 2002;21(13):1899–911. doi: 10.1002/sim.1152 12111896
50. Marschall-Lévesque S, Castellanos-Ryan N, Vitaro F, Séguin JR. Moderators of the association between peer and target adolescent substance use. Addictive behaviors. 2014;39(1):48–70. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2013.09.025 24183303
51. Perkins HW, Haines MP, Rice R. Misperceiving the college drinking norm and related problems: a nationwide study of exposure to prevention information, perceived norms and student alcohol misuse. Journal of studies on alcohol. 2005;66(4):470–8. doi: 10.15288/jsa.2005.66.470 16240554
52. Cadigan JM, Haeny AM, Martens MP, Weaver CC, Takamatsu SK, Arterberry BJ. Personalized drinking feedback: A meta-analysis of in-person versus computer-delivered interventions. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2015;83(2):430. doi: 10.1037/a0038394 25486373
53. Prince MA, Carey KB. The malleability of injunctive norms among college students. Addictive Behaviors. 2010;35(11):940–7. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2010.06.006 20598806
54. Patrick ME, Schulenberg JE. How trajectories of reasons for alcohol use relate to trajectories of binge drinking: National panel data spanning late adolescence to early adulthood. Developmental psychology. 2011;47(2):311. doi: 10.1037/a0021939 21219061
55. Savaşan A, Çam O. The effect of the psychiatric nursing approach based on the Tidal Model on coping and self-esteem in people with alcohol dependency: a randomized trial. Archives of psychiatric nursing. 2017;31(3):274–81. doi: 10.1016/j.apnu.2017.01.002 28499567
56. D'Amico EJ, Parast L, Shadel WG, Meredith LS, Seelam R, Stein BD. Brief motivational interviewing intervention to reduce alcohol and marijuana use for at-risk adolescents in primary care. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology. 2018;86(9):775. doi: 10.1037/ccp0000332 30138016
57. Keyes KM, Grant BF, Hasin DS. Evidence for a closing gender gap in alcohol use, abuse, and dependence in the United States population. Drug and alcohol dependence. 2008;93(1–2):21–9. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2007.08.017 17980512
58. Steinka-Fry KT, Tanner-Smith EE, Dakof GA, Henderson C. Culturally sensitive substance use treatment for racial/ethnic minority youth: A meta-analytic review. Journal of substance abuse treatment. 2017;75:22–37. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2017.01.006 28237051