1. Davis C. Premier League 2017 prize money: How much your club is in line to earn this season?. The Telegraph [Internet]. 2017 4th January 2018. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/16/premier-league-2017-prize-money-much-club-line-earn-season/.
2. McCourt I. Parma relegated to Serie D after failing to find a new owner. The Guardian [Internet]. 2015. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/22/parma-relegated-serie-d-fail-new-owner.
3. Colley WN. Colley’s bias free college football ranking method: The Colley matrix explained. Princeton University, Princeton. 2002.
4. Langville AN, Meyer CD. Who’s # 1?: the science of rating and ranking. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 2012.
5. Beggs CB, Shepherd SJ, Emmonds S, Jones B. A novel application of PageRank and user preference algorithms for assessing the relative performance of track athletes in competition. PLoS One. 2017;12(6):e0178458. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0178458 28575009.
6. Keener JP. The Perron-Frobenius theorem and the ranking of football teams. SIAM review. 1993;35(1):80–93.
7. Dayaratna KD, Miller SJ. The pythagorean won-loss formula and hockey. The Hockey Research Journal. 2013;2012/13:193–209.
8. Caro CA, Machtmes R. Testing the utility of the pythagorean expectation formula on division one college football: an examination and comparision to the Morey model. Journal of Business & Economic Research. 2013;11(12):537–42.
9. Bradley RA, Terry ME. Rank analysis of incomplete block designs: I. the method of paired comparisons Biometrika. 1952;39(3/4):324–45.
10. Mchale I, Morton A. A Bradley-Terry type model for forecasting tennis match results. International Journal of Forecasting. 2011;27(2):619–30.
11. Lasek J, Szlavik Z, Bhulai S. The predictive power of ranking systems in association football. International Journal of Applied Pattern Recognition. 2013;1(1):27–46.
12. Agresti A. An introduction to categorical data analysis: Wiley; 2018.
13. Van Haaren J, Davis J, editors. Predicting the final league tables of domestic football leagues. Proceedings of the 5th international conference on mathematics in sport; 2015.
14. Burer S. Robust rankings for college football. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports. 2012;8(2):1–22.
15. Chartier TP, Harris J, Hutson KR, Langville AN, Martin D, Wessell CD. Reducing the Effects of Unequal Number of Games on Rankings. IMAGE-The Bulletin of the International Linear Algebra Society. 2014;52(1).
16. Govan AY, Meyer CD, editors. Ranking national football league teams using google’s pagerank. AA Markov Anniversary Meeting; 2006; Charleston: Boson Books.
17. Balreira EC, Miceli BK, Tegtmeyer T. An Oracle method to predict NFL games. Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports. 10(2):183–96.
18. Mease D. A penalized maximum likelihood approach for the ranking of college football teams independent of victory margins The American Statistician. 2003;57(4):241–8.
19. Tsokos A, Narayanan S, Kosmidis I, Baio G, Cucuringu M, Whitaker G, et al. Modeling outcomes of soccer matches. Machine Learning. 2018:1–19.
20. van der Zaan T. Predicting the outcome of soccer matches in order to make money with betting. Rotterdam: Erasmus University Rotterdam; 2017.
21. Heuer A, Rubner O. How does the past of a soccer match influence its future? Concepts and statistical analysis. PloS one. 2012;7(11):e47678. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0047678 23226200
22. Heuer A, Muller C, Rubner O. Soccer: Is scoring goals a predictable Poissonian process? Europhysics Letters. 2010;89:38007.
23. Saraiva EF, Suzuki AK, Filho CAO, Louzada F. Predicting football scores via Poisson regression model: applications to the National Football League. Communications for Statistical Applications and Methods. 2016;23(4):297–319.
24. Constantinou AC. Dolores: A model that predicts football match outcomes from all over the world. Machine Learning. 2018:1–27.
25. Razali N, Mustapha A, Yatim FA, Ab Aziz R, editors. Predicting Football Matches Results using Bayesian Networks for English Premier League (EPL). IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering; 2017: IOP Publishing.
26. Louzada F, Suzuki AK, Salasar LEB. Predicting match outcomes in the English Premier League: Which will be the final rank? Journal of Data Science. 2014;12:235–54.
27. Jurman G. Seasonal linear predictivity in national football championships. arXiv:151106262v1 [statAP] 19 Nov 2015. 2015.
28. Baker LB, Stofan JR, Hamilton AA, Horswill CA. Comparison of regional patch collection vs. whole body washdown for measuring sweat sodium and potassium loss during exercise. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2009;107(3):887–95. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00197.2009 19541738.
29. Lasek J, Gagolewski M. The efficacy of league formats in ranking teams. Statistical Modelling. 2018;18(5–6):411–35.
30. Shin S, Ahnert SE, Park J. Ranking competitors using degree-neutralized random walks. PLoS One. 2014;9(12):e113685. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0113685 25517977.
31. opisthokonta.net. R functions for soccer league tables and result matrix. opisthokontanet [Internet]. 2012 4th January 2018. http://opisthokonta.net/?p=18.
32. Fagin R, Kumar R, Sivakumar D. Comparing top k lists. SIAM Journal on discrete mathematics. 2003;17(1):134–60.
33. Borchers HW. Pracma: practical numerical math functions. R package version. 2015;1(3).
34. Bunker RP, Thabtah F. A machine learning framework for sport result prediction. Applied Computing and Informatics. 2017.
35. Massey K. Statistical models applied to the rating of sports teams. Bluefield College. 1997.
36. World football Elo ratings [Internet]. 1997 [cited 10th March 2017]. http://www.eloratings.net/.
37. eloratings.net. World Football Elo Ratings [12th July 2019]. http://www.eloratings.net/about.
38. Lazova V, Basnarkov L. PageRank Approach to Ranking National Football Teams. arXiv preprint arXiv:150301331. 2015.
39. Suzuki K, Ohmori K. Effectiveness of FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking in predicting the results of FIFA World Cup finals. Football Science. 2008;5:18–25.
40. masseyratings.com. Massey Ratings [updated 12th July 2019]. https://www.masseyratings.com/index.htm.
41. Price S. How FIFA’s New Ranking System Will Change International Soccer. Forbes [Internet]. 2018 12th July 2019. https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2018/06/11/how-fifas-new-ranking-system-will-change-international-soccer/#18864e86c412.
42. BBC. Guide to the SPL split 2001 [9th June 2019]. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/1251646.stm.
43. Switzer A. The cost of relegation from the Premier League. The Telegraph. 2011;23.
44. Flint SW, Plumley DJ, Wilson RJ. You don’t know what you’re doing! The impact of managerial change on club performance in the English Premier League. Managing Leisure. 2014;19(6):390–9.
45. Blumrodt J, Desbordes M, Bodin D. Professional football clubs and corporate social responsibility. Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal. 2013;3(3):205–25.
46. Elias N, Dunning E. Quest for excitement: sport and leisure in the civilising process. Oxford: Blackwell; 1986.
47. Quirk J, Fort RD. Pay dirt: the business of professional team sports. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press; 1992.
48. Forrest D, Simmons R. Outcome uncertainty and attendance demand in sport: the case of English soccer. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series D (The Statistician). 2002;51(2):229–41.
49. Buraimo B, Simmons R. Do sports fans really value uncertainty of outcome? Evidence from the English Premier League. International Journal of Sport Finance. 2008;3(3).
50. Rumsby B. Premier League TV deal: Sky Sports break bank to dominate £5.136bn contract. The Telegraph [Internet]. 2015 4th January 2018. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11403761/Premier-League-TV-deal-Sky-Sports-break-bank-to-dominate-5.136bn-contract.html.
51. Johnson N. Premier League is 25 years old: Facts and figures behind the first quarter-century. BBC news [Internet]. 2017 4th January 2018. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40704646.
52. ter Weel B. Does Manager Turnover Improve Firm Performance? Evidence from Dutch Soccer, 1986–2004. De Economist. 2011;159(3):279–303.
53. Heuer A, Muller C, Rubner O, Hagemann N, Strauss B. Usefulness of dismissing and changing the coach in professional soccer. PLoS One. 2011;6(3):e17664. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0017664 21445335.
54. Sumpter D. Soccermatics: mathematical adventures in the beautiful game: Bloomsbury Publishing; 2016.