1. Malik G. (2009) 'Role of auxiliary nurse midwives in National Rural Health Mission', Nursing Journal of India, 100(4), pp. 88–90. 20527493
2. Anand V. and Ahmed N. (2013) 'To know the gaps in ANM Training School’s course in relation to the dynamic role of ANM in Public Health System of India', Journal of Nursing and Health Science, 2(3), pp. 16–21.
3. Prasad R. and Dasgupta R. (2013) 'Missing Midwifery: Relevance for Contemporary Challenges in Maternal Health', Indian Journal of Community Medicine: Official Publication of Indian Association of Preventive & Social Medicine, 38(1), pp. 9–14.
4. Mavalankar D. and Suresh V. K. (2010) The Changing Role of Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANM) in India: Implications for Maternal and Child Health (MCH)," Working Papers id:2755, eSocialSciences.
5. Ganguly E. and Garg B. S. (2013) 'Quality of health assistants in primary health centres in rural maharashtra, India', Health services insights, 6, pp. 9–13. doi: 10.4137/HSI.S11226 25114556
6. Iyer, A. and Jesani, A. (1999) Barriers to the Quality of Care: The Experience of Auxiliary Nurse-Midwives in Rural Maharashtra.: In Improving Quality of Care in India's Family Welfare Programme edited by Population Council. http://www.womenstudies.in/elib/sys_and_serv/hc_barriers_to_the_quality.pdf (Accessed: 17/11/2019).
7. Singh S., Upadhyaya S., Deshmukh P., Dongre A., Dwivedi N., Dey D. et al. (2018) 'Time motion study using mixed methods to assess service delivery by frontline health workers from South India: methods', Human Resources for Health, 16(1), pp. 17. doi: 10.1186/s12960-018-0279-7 29609599
8. India State-level Disease Burden Initiative Collaborators (2017) 'Nations within a nation: variations in epidemiological transition across the states of India, 1990–2016 in the Global Burden of Disease Study', The Lancet, 390(10111), pp. 2437–2460.
9. Indian Nursing Council (2012) Syllabus and Regulations: Auxiliary Nurse and Midwives. New Delhi.
10. Indian Nursing Council (2013) Amendments for Auxiliary Nurses and Midwives syllabus and regulation
11. National Portal of India (2018) Ayushman Bharat—National Health Protection Mission. https://www.india.gov.in/spotlight/ayushman-bharat-national-health-protection-mission (Accessed: 17/11/2019).
12. Scott, K., Javadi, D. and Gergen, J. (2018) India's Auxiliary Nurse-Midwife, Anganwadi Worker, Accredited Social Health Activist, Multipurpose Worker, and Lady Health Visitor Programs: CHW Central: A global resource for and about community health workers. Available at: https://www.chwcentral.org/blog/indias-auxiliary-nurse-midwife-anganwadi-worker-accredited-social-health-activist-multipurpose.
13. Pyone T., Smith H. and van den Broek N. (2017) 'Frameworks to assess health systems governance: a systematic review', Health Policy and Planning, 32(5), pp. 710–722. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czx007 28334991
14. Pawson R. and Tilley N. (1997) Realistic Evaluation. SAGE Publications, p. 235.
15. The Census Organization of India (2011) Pune City Census 2011 data. https://www.census2011.co.in/census/city/375-pune.html (Accessed: 17/11/2019).
16. Creswell J. W. (2013) Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches. SAGE Publications.
17. Graneheim U. H. and Lundman B. (2004) 'Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness', Nurse Educ Today, 24(2), pp. 105–12. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2003.10.001 14769454
18. Sheikh K., Saligram P. S. and Hort K. (2015) 'What explains regulatory failure? Analysing the architecture of health care regulation in two Indian states', Health Policy Plan, 30(1), pp. 39–55. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czt095 24342742
19. Peters D. H. and Muraleedharan V. R. (2008) 'Regulating India's health services: To what end? What future?', Social Science & Medicine, 66(10), pp. 2133–2144.
20. Bearak B. 2000. In India, the wheels of justice hardly move. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/01/world/in-india-the-wheels-of-justice-hardly-move.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm (Accessed 25 Aug 2018)
21. Mackey T. K., Vian T. and Kohler J. (2018) 'The sustainable development goals as a framework to combat health-sector corruption', Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 96(9), pp. 634–643. doi: 10.2471/BLT.18.209502 30262945
22. Alam K., Tasneem S. and Oliveras E. (2012) 'Retention of female volunteer community health workers in Dhaka urban slums: a case-control study', Health Policy Plan, 27(6), pp. 477–86. doi: 10.1093/heapol/czr059 21900361
23. Rahman S. M., Ali N. A., Jennings L., Seraji M. H., Mannan I., Shah R.,et al (2010) 'Factors affecting recruitment and retention of community health workers in a newborn care intervention in Bangladesh', Hum Resour Health, 8, pp. 12. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-8-12 20438642
24. Kok M. C., Kane S. S., Tulloch O., Ormel H., Theobald S., Dieleman M., et al (2015b) 'How does context influence performance of community health workers in low- and middle-income countries? Evidence from the literature', Health Res Policy Syst, 13, pp. 13. doi: 10.1186/s12961-015-0001-3 25890229
25. Razee H., Whittaker M., Jayasuriya R., Yap L. and Brentnall L. (2012) 'Listening to the rural health workers in Papua New Guinea—the social factors that influence their motivation to work', Soc Sci Med, 75(5), pp. 828–35. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.04.013 22632846
26. Erchick D. J., George A. S., Umeh C. and Wonodi C. (2017) 'Understanding Internal Accountability in Nigeria’s Routine Immunization System: Perspectives From Government Officials at the National, State, and Local Levels', International Journal of Health Policy and Management, 6(7), pp. 403–412. doi: 10.15171/ijhpm.2016.150 28812836
27. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare-India (2016) Operational guidelines: Prevention, screening and control of common non-communicable diseases, New Delhi: MOHFW.
28. George A. (2009) ''By papers and pens, you can only do so much': views about accountability and human resource management from Indian government health administrators and workers', Int J Health Plann Manage, 24(3), pp. 205–24. doi: 10.1002/hpm.986 19384895
29. Bosch-Capblanch X., Liaqat S. and Garner P. (2011) 'Managerial supervision to improve primary health care in low- and middle-income countries', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, (9).
30. Kok M. C., Ormel H., Broerse J. E. W., Kane S., Namakhoma I., Otiso L. et al (2017) 'Optimising the benefits of community health workers' unique position between communities and the health sector: A comparative analysis of factors shaping relationships in four countries', Glob Public Health, 12(11), pp. 1404–1432 doi: 10.1080/17441692.2016.1174722 27133127
31. Kok M. C., Kane S. S., Tulloch O., Ormel H., Theobald S., Dieleman M. et al (2015b) 'How does context influence performance of community health workers in low- and middle-income countries? Evidence from the literature', Health Res Policy Syst, 13, pp. 13. doi: 10.1186/s12961-015-0001-3 25890229