1. Bureau USC. Profile of general population and housing characteristics:2010 Demographic Profile Data 2010 [July 17, 2019]. https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_DP_DPDP1&src=pt.
2. National Science Foundation NCfSaES. Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering: 2017. Special Report NSF 2017;17–310.
3. Schultz PW, Hernandez PR, Woodcock A, Estrada M, Chance RC, Aguilar M, et al. Patching the Pipeline:Reducing Educational Disparities in the Sciences Through Minority Training Programs. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis. 2011;33(1):95–114. doi: 10.3102/0162373710392371 24285910
4. Valantine HA, Collins FS. National Institutes of Health addresses the science of diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2015;112(40):12240–2.
5. Hernandez PR, Woodcock A, Estrada M, Schultz PW. Undergraduate Research Experiences Broaden Diversity in the Scientific Workforce. BioScience. 2018;68(3):204–11. doi: 10.1093/biosci/bix163
6. Gibbs KD Jr, Basson J, Xierali IM, Broniatowski DA. Decoupling of the minority PhD talent pool and assistant professor hiring in medical school basic science departments in the US. Elife. 2016;5:e21393. doi: 10.7554/eLife.21393 27852433
7. Hurtado S, Clayton-Pedersen AR, Allen WR, Milem JF. Enhancing campus climates for racial/ethnic diversity: Educational policy and practice. The Review of Higher Education. 1998;21(3):279–302.
8. Sciences NAo, Engineering NAo, Medicine Io. Expanding Underrepresented Minority Participation: America’s Science and Technology Talent at the Crossroads. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2011. 286 p.
9. Nikaj S, Roychowdhury D, Lund PK, Matthews M, Pearson K. Examining trends in the diversity of the US National Institutes of Health participating and funded workforce. The FASEB Journal. 2018;32(12):6410–22.
10. Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities. The CURE paradigm: enhancing workforce diversity. [Bethesda, Md.]: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute; 2011. 60 p.
11. Institute NC. Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities Annual Report. 2011:112.
12. Institute NC. Partnerships to Advance Cancer Health Equity (PACHE) 2015 [updated February 17, 2015]. https://www.cancer.gov/about-nci/organization/crchd/diversity-training/pache.
13. Coronado GD, O’Connell MA, Anderson J, Loest H, Ogaz D, Thompson B. Undergraduate cancer training program for underrepresented students: Findings from a minority institution/cancer center partnership. Journal of Cancer Education. 2010;25:32–5. doi: 10.1007/s13187-009-0006-0 20082168
14. Coronado GD, Shuster M, Ulrich A, Anderson J, Loest H. Strategies for diversifying the pool of graduate students in biomedical sciences. Journal of cancer education: the official journal of the American Association for Cancer Education. 2012;27:436–42.
15. Thompson B, O’Connell MA, Loest H, Anderson J, Westcott R. Understanding and Reducing Obstacles in a Collaboration between a Minority Institution and a Cancer Center J Health Care Poor Underserv. 2013;24.
16. Bureau USC. Quick Facts New Mexico [July 17, 2019]. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NM.
17. University NMS. Quick Facts 2018 [July 17, 2019]. https://oia.nmsu.edu/files/2019/01/2018-Quick-Facts-Final.pdf.
18. Bureau USC. Quick Facts Washington [July 17, 2019]. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/WA.
19. Mathur A, Cano A, Kohl M, Muthunayake NS, Vaidyanathan P, Wood ME, et al. Visualization of gender, race, citizenship and academic performance in association with career outcomes of 15-year biomedical doctoral alumni at a public research university. Plos One. 2018;13(5):e0197473. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0197473 29771987
20. Junge B, Quinones C, Kakietek J, Teodorescu D, Marsteller P. Promoting undergraduate interest, preparedness, and professional pursuit in the sciences: An outcomes evaluation of the SURE program at Emory University. CBE—Life Sciences Education. 2010;9(2):119–32. doi: 10.1187/cbe.09-08-0057 20516357
21. Ramirez AG, Gallion KJ, Perez A, Adeigbe RT, Munoz E, Pasick RJ. Éxito!: Making an Impact in Training Latinos for Doctorates and Cancer Research. Journal of Cancer Education. 2018. doi: 10.1007/s13187-018-1397-6 30014170
22. Gardner SA, Salto LM, Riggs ML, Casiano CA, De Leon M. Supporting the Writing Productivity of Biomedical Graduate Students: An Integrated, Structured Writing Intervention. CBE life sciences education. 2018;17(3):ar45. doi: 10.1187/cbe.16-12-0350 30142043