1. Huxley DJ, O’Connor D, Larkin P. The pathway to the top: Key factors and influences in the development of Australian Olympic and World Championship Track and Field athletes. Int J Sports Sci Coa. 2017 Feb 21;12(2):264–275.
2. Sotiriadou KP, Shilbury D. Australian elite athlete development: An organizational perspective. Sport Manag Rev. 2009;12(3):137–148.
3. Barreiros A, Côté J, Fonseca AM. From early to adult sport success: Analyzing athletes' progression in national squads. Eur J Sport Sci. 2014 Jan 1;14(sup1):S178–S82.
4. Enoksen E. Drop-out rate and drop-out reasons among promising Norwegian track and field athletes. Scandinavian sport studies forum. 2011; 2: 19–43.
5. Møllerløkken NE, Lorås H, Pedersen AV. A systematic review and meta-analysis of dropout rates in youth soccer. Percept Motor Skills. 2015 Dec 1;121(3):913–922. doi: 10.2466/10.PMS.121c23x0 26595205
6. Vanden Auweele Y, De Martelaer K, Rzewnicki R, De Knop P, Wylleman P. Parents and coaches: A help or harm? Affective outcomes for children in sport. In: Vanden Auweele Y, editor. Ethics in youth sport. Leuven, Belgium: Lannoocampus 2004. p. 72.
7. Kearney PE, Hayes PR. Excelling at youth level in competitive track and field athletics is not a prerequisite for later success. J Sports Sci. 2018 Apr 18;36(21):2502–2509. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2018.1465724 29667867
8. Abbott A, Button C, Pepping GJ, Collins D. Unnatural selection: Talent identification and development in sport. Nonlinear Dynamics Psychol Life Sci. 2005 Jan;9(1):61–88. 15629068
9. Den Hartigh RJ, Hill Y, Van Geert PL. The development of talent in sports: A dynamic network approach. Complexity [Internet]. 2018 Aug 29 [cited 2019 Jul 12] 2018: [about 13 p]. Available from: doi: 10.1155/2018/5094179
10. Rees T, Hardy L, Güllich A, Abernethy B, Côté J, Woodman T, et al. The great British medalists project: A review of current knowledge on the development of the world’s best sporting talent. Sports Med. 2016 Aug 1;46(8):1041–1058. doi: 10.1007/s40279-016-0476-2 26842017
11. Sarmento H, Anguera MT, Pereira A, Araujo D. Talent identification and development in male football: A systematic review. Sports Med. 2018 Apr 1;48(4):907–931. doi: 10.1007/s40279-017-0851-7 29299878
12. Ericsson KA, Krampe RT, Tesch-Römer C. The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance. Psychol Rev. 1993 Jun 1;100(3):363–406.
13. Côté J, Baker J, Abernethy B. Practice and play in the development of sport expertise. In: Tenenbaum G, Eklund RC, editors. Handbook of sport psychology. New Jersey: Wiley; 2007. p. 184–202.
14. Güllich A, Emrich E. Evaluation of the support of young athletes in the elite sports system. Eur J Sport Soc. 2006;3(2):85–108.
15. Cobley S, Baker J, Wattie N. McKenna J. Annual age-grouping and athlete development. Sports Med. 2009;39(3):235–256. doi: 10.2165/00007256-200939030-00005 19290678
16. Brazo-Sayavera J, Martínez-Valencia MA, Müller L, Andronikos G, Martindale RJ. Relative age effects in international age group championships: A study of Spanish track and field athletes. PLoS One. 2018 Apr 24;13(4):e0196386. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0196386 29689117; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5916855.
17. Romann M, Cobley S. Relative age effects in athletic sprinting and corrective adjustments as a solution for their removal. PLoS One. 2015 Apr 6;10(4):e0122988. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0122988 25844642; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4386815.
18. Carling C, Le Gall F, Reilly T, Williams AM. Do anthropometric and fitness characteristics vary according to birth date distribution in elite youth academy soccer players? Scand J Med Sci Spor. 2009;19(1):3–9.
19. Ulbricht A, Fernandez-Fernandez J, Mendez-Villanueva A, Ferrauti A. The relative age effect and physical fitness characteristics in German male tennis players. J Sport Sci Med. 2015;14(3):634–642.
20. Helsen WF, Starkes JL, Van Winckel J. The influence of relative age on success and dropout in male soccer players. Am J Hum Biol.1998;10(6):791–8. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1520-6300(1998)10:6<791::AID-AJHB10>3.0.CO;2-1 28561412
21. Delorme N, Chalabaev A, Raspaud M. Relative age is associated with sport dropout: Evidence from youth categories of French basketball. Scand J Med Sci Spor. 2011;21(1):120–8.
22. Nakata H. Relationship between the relative age effect and lengths of professional careers in male Japanese baseball players: A retrospective analysis. Sports Med Open. 2017;3(1):21–25. doi: 10.1186/s40798-017-0090-3 28577222
23. Práxedes A, Moreno A, García-González L, Pizarro D, Del Villar F. The relative age effect on soccer players in formative stages with different sport expertise levels. J Hum Kinet. 2017;60(1):167–173.
24. Ford PR, Ward P, Hodges NJ, Williams AM. The role of deliberate practice and play in career progression in sport: The early engagement hypothesis. High Abil Stud. 2009 Jun 1;20(1):65–75.
25. Brazo-Sayavera J, Martínez-Valencia MA, Müller L, Andronikos G, Martindale RJ. Identifying talented track and field athletes: The impact of relative age effect on selection to the Spanish National Athletics Federation training camps. J Sports Sci. 2017 Nov 23;35(22):2172–8. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2016.1260151 27879175
26. Hollings SC, Hume PA, Hopkins WG. Relative-age effect on competition outcomes at the World Youth and World Junior Athletics Championships. Eur J Sport Sci. 2014;14(sup1):S456–S61.
27. Johnston K, Wattie N, Schorer J, Baker J. Talent identification in sport: A systematic review. Sports Med. 2018;48(1):97–109. doi: 10.1007/s40279-017-0803-2 29082463
28. Wrang CM, Rossing NN, Diernæs RM, Hansen CG, Dalgaard-Hansen C, Karbing DS. Relative age effect and the re-selection of Danish male handball players for national teams. J Hum Kinet. 2018;63(1):33–41.
29. Gibbs BG, Jarvis JA, Dufur MJ. The rise of the underdog? The relative age effect reversal among Canadian-born NHL hockey players: A reply to Nolan and Howell. Int Rev Sociol Sport. 2012;47(5):644–649.
30. Côté J, Macdonald DJ, Baker J, Abernethy B. When “where” is more important than “when”: Birthplace and birthdate effects on the achievement of sporting expertise. J Sports Sci. 2006;24(10):1065–1073. doi: 10.1080/02640410500432490 17115521
31. MacDonald DJ, Cheung M, Côté J, Abernethy B. Place but not date of birth influences the development and emergence of athletic talent in American Football. J Appl Sport Psychol. 2009;21(1):80–90.
32. Fraser-Thomas J, Côté J, MacDonald DJ. Community size in youth sport settings: Examining developmental assets and sport withdrawal. Revue phénEPS/PHEnex Journal. 2010;2(2). Available from: http://ojs.acadiau.ca/index.php/phenex/article/view/8.
33. Allen S, Duncan N. Birthplace effect analysis: World Class Programme (WCP) Athletes. London: UK Sport;2010.
34. MacDonald DJ, King J, Côté J. Abernethy, B. Birthplace effects on the development of female athletic talent. J Sci Med Sport. 2009;12(1):234–237. doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2007.05.015 17889609
35. Turnnidge J, Hancock D, Côté J. The influence of birth date and place of development on youth sport participation. Scan J Med Sci Sports. 2014;24(2):461–468.
36. Elgar FJ, Arlett C, Groves R. Stress, coping, and behavioral problems among rural and urban adolescents. J Adolescence. 2003;26(5):574–585.
37. Hancock DJ, Coutinho P, Côté J, Mesquita I. Influences of population size and density on birthplace effects. J Sports Sci. 2018;36(1):33–38. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2016.1276614 28078945
38. Kyttä M. Affordances of children's environments in the context of cities, small towns, suburbs and rural villages in Finland and Belarus. J Environ Psychology. 2002;22(1–2):109–123.
39. Baker J, Logan AJ. Developmental contexts and sporting success: Birth date and birthplace effects in national hockey league draftees 2000–2005. Brit J Sport Med. 2007;41(8):515–517.
40. Curtis JE, Birch JS. Size of community of origin and recruitment to professional and Olympic Hockey in North America. Sociol Sport J. 1987;4(3):229–44.
41. Schorer J, Baker J, Lotz S, Büsch D. Influence of early environmental constraints on achievement motivation in talented young handball players. Int J Sport Psychol. 2010;41:42–58.
42. “Boys and girls champs. regulations and advisory,” Inter-Secondary School Sports Association (ISSA), Jamaica. Available online: https://trackalerts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Champs-2017-rules.pdf. (accessed on 13 June 2019).
43. Scott R.A, Irving R, Irwin L, Morrison E, Charlton V, Austin K, et al. ACTN3 and ACE genotypes in elite Jamaican and US sprinters. Med Sci Sport Exer. 2010;42(1):107–12.
44. Morrison ES, Cooper P. Some bio-medical mechanisms in athletic prowess. W Indian Med J. 2006;55(3):205–209. doi: 10.1590/s0043-31442006000300015 17087108
45. Taylor OW. It's culture, not genes: Explaining why Jamaican sprinters are the fastest humans on Earth. Caribbean Quarterly. 2015;61(1):23–41.
46. Statistical Institute of Jamaica: Population and Housing Census 2011, General Report Volume I, 2012.
47. Henriksen K, Stambulova N, Roessler KK. Holistic approach to athletic talent development environments: A successful sailing milieu. Psychol Sport Exerc. 2010 May 1;11(3):212–22.
48. Soberlak P, Cote J. The developmental activities of elite ice hockey players. J Appl Sport Psychol. 2003;15(1):41–49.
49. Gould D, Horn T. Participation motivation in young athletes. In: Silva JM, Weinberg RS, editors. Psychological foundations of sport. Illinois: Human Kinetics; 1984. p. 359–370.