1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention NCfHS. Underlying Cause of Death 1999–2016 on CDC WONDER Online Database, released December, 2017.
2. Kolodny A, Courtwright DT, Hwang CS, Kreiner P, Eadie JL, Clark TW, et al. The prescription opioid and heroin crisis: a public health approach to an epidemic of addiction. Annual review of public health. 2015;36:559–74. doi: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031914-122957 25581144
3. Rudd RA. Increases in drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths—United States, 2010–2015. MMWR Morbidity and mortality weekly report. 2016;65.
4. (NIDA) NIoDA. Misuse of Prescription Drugs. August 1st, 2016:[Available from: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/misuse-prescription-drugs
5. Unick GJ, Ciccarone D. US regional and demographic differences in prescription opioid and heroin-related overdose hospitalizations. International Journal of Drug Policy. 2017;46:112–9. doi: 10.1016/j.drugpo.2017.06.003 28688539
6. Alexander MJ, Kiang MV, Barbieri M. Trends in Black and White opioid mortality in the United States, 1979–2015. Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass). 2018;29(5):707.
7. Mossey JM. Defining racial and ethnic disparities in pain management. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research®. 2011;469(7):1859–70.
8. Pletcher MJ, Kertesz SG, Kohn MA, Gonzales R. Trends in opioid prescribing by race/ethnicity for patients seeking care in us emergency departments. JAMA. 2008;299(1):70–8. doi: 10.1001/jama.2007.64 18167408
9. Mouton CP, Carter-Nolan PL, Makambi KH, Taylor TR, Palmer JR, Rosenberg L, et al. Impact of perceived racial discrimination on health screening in black women. Journal of health care for the poor and underserved. 2010;21(1):287. doi: 10.1353/hpu.0.0273 20173270
10. Hausmann LR, Jeong K, Bost JE, Ibrahim SA. Perceived discrimination in health care and use of preventive health services. Journal of general internal medicine. 2008;23(10):1679–84. doi: 10.1007/s11606-008-0730-x 18649109
11. Schulman KA, Berlin JA, Harless W, Kerner JF, Sistrunk S, Gersh BJ, et al. The Effect of Race and Sex on Physicians' Recommendations for Cardiac Catheterization. New England Journal of Medicine. 1999;340(8):618–26. doi: 10.1056/NEJM199902253400806 10029647.
12. Krieger N, Chen JT, Waterman PD. Decline in US Breast Cancer Rates After the Women’s Health Initiative: Socioeconomic and Racial/Ethnic Differentials. Am J Public Health. 2010;100(S1):S132–9. doi: 10.2105/ajph.2009.181628 20147667; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2837433.
13. Friedman GD, Cutter GR, Donahue RP, Hughes GH, Hulley SB, Jacobs DR, et al. CARDIA: study design, recruitment, and some characteristics of the examined subjects. Journal of clinical epidemiology. 1988;41(11):1105–16. doi: 10.1016/0895-4356(88)90080-7 3204420
14. Krieger N, Smith K, Naishadham D, Hartman C, Barbeau EM. Experiences of discrimination: validity and reliability of a self-report measure for population health research on racism and health. Social science & medicine. 2005;61(7):1576–96.
15. Radloff LS. The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied psychological measurement. 1977;1(3):385–401.
16. Valeri L, VanderWeele TJ. Mediation analysis allowing for exposure–mediator interactions and causal interpretation: Theoretical assumptions and implementation with SAS and SPSS macros. Psychological methods. 2013;18(2):137. doi: 10.1037/a0031034 23379553
17. VanderWeele TJ, Vansteelandt S. Odds Ratios for Mediation Analysis for a Dichotomous Outcome. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2010;172(12):1339–48. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwq332 21036955; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2998205.
18. Nandi A, Glymour MM, Kawachi I, VanderWeele TJ. Using marginal structural models to estimate the direct effect of adverse childhood social conditions on onset of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass). 2012;23(2):223.
19. Inc. SI. SAS Software version 9.4, 2002–2012. Cary, NC.
20. Lyapustina T, Castillo R, Omaki E, Shields W, McDonald E, Rothman R, et al. The contribution of the emergency department to opioid pain reliever misuse and diversion: a critical review. Pain practice. 2017;17(8):1097–104. doi: 10.1111/papr.12568 28226416
21. Shiels MS, Freedman ND, Thomas D, de Gonzalez Berrington A. Trends in US drug overdose deaths in non-Hispanic black, Hispanic, and non-Hispanic white persons, 2000–2015. Annals of internal medicine. 2018;168(6):453–5. doi: 10.7326/M17-1812 29204603
22. Nelson A. Unequal treatment: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Journal of the National Medical Association. 2002;94(8):666. 12152921
23. Mustillo S, Krieger N, Gunderson EP, Sidney S, McCreath H, Kiefe CI. Self-reported experiences of racial discrimination and Black–White differences in preterm and low-birthweight deliveries: the CARDIA Study. American Journal of Public Health. 2004;94(12):2125–31. doi: 10.2105/ajph.94.12.2125 15569964
24. Cunningham TJ, Berkman LF, Kawachi I, Jacobs DR, Seeman TE, Kiefe CI, et al. Changes in waist circumference and body mass index in the US CARDIA cohort: fixed-effects associations with self-reported experiences of racial/ethnic discrimination. Journal of biosocial science. 2013;45(2):267–78. doi: 10.1017/S0021932012000429 22856616
25. Womack VY, Ning H, Lewis CE, Loucks EB, Puterman E, Reis J, et al. Relationship between perceived discrimination and sedentary behavior in adults. American journal of health behavior. 2014;38(5):641–9. doi: 10.5993/AJHB.38.5.1 24933133
26. Borrell LN, Jacobs DR Jr, Williams DR, Pletcher MJ, Houston TK, Kiefe CI. Self-reported racial discrimination and substance use in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Adults Study. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2007;166(9):1068–79. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwm180 17698506
27. McLaughlin KA, Hatzenbuehler ML, Keyes KM. Responses to Discrimination and Psychiatric Disorders Among Black, Hispanic, Female, and Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Individuals. American Journal of Public Health. 2010;100(8):1477–84. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2009.181586 20558791
28. Clark TT, Salas-Wright CP, Vaughn MG, Whitfield KE. Everyday discrimination and mood and substance use disorders: a latent profile analysis with African Americans and Caribbean Blacks. Addictive behaviors. 2015;40:119–25. doi: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2014.08.006 25254321
29. McCabe SE, Bostwick WB, Hughes TL, West BT, Boyd CJ. The Relationship Between Discrimination and Substance Use Disorders Among Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Adults in the United States. American Journal of Public Health. 2010;100(10):1946–52. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2009.163147 20075317
30. Chavez LJ, Ornelas IJ, Lyles CR, Williams EC. Racial/ethnic workplace discrimination: association with tobacco and alcohol use. American journal of preventive medicine. 2015;48(1):42–9. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2014.08.013 25441232
31. Landrine H, Klonoff EA. The schedule of racist events: A measure of racial discrimination and a study of its negative physical and mental health consequences. Journal of Black Psychology. 1996;22(2):144–68.
32. Martin JK, Tuch SA, Roman PM. Problem drinking patterns among African Americans: the impacts of reports of discrimination, perceptions of prejudice, and" risky" coping strategies. Journal of health and social behavior. 2003:408–25. 14582316
33. Pascoe EA, Smart Richman L. Perceived discrimination and health: a meta-analytic review. Psychological bulletin. 2009;135(4):531. doi: 10.1037/a0016059 19586161
34. James K, Jordan A. The opioid crisis in Black communities. The Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics. 2018;46(2):404–21.
35. Case A, Deaton A. Rising morbidity and mortality in midlife among white non-Hispanic Americans in the 21st century. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2015;112(49):15078–83.