1. Debas HT, Donkor P, Gawande A, Jamison DT, Kruk ME, Mock CN (eds). Essential Surgery: Disease Control Priorities; Obstetric Fistula. Third edition. Washington (DC): The World Bank; 2015.
2. Maheu-Giroux M, Filippi V, Samadoulougou S, Castro MC, Maulet N, Meda N, et al. Prevalence of symptoms of vaginal fistula in 19 sub-Saharan Africa countries: a meta-analysis of national household survey data. Lancet Glob Health 2015; 3: e271–78. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(14)70348-1 25889469
3. Bashah DT, Worku AG, Mengistu MY. Consequences of obstetric fistula in sub-Sahara African countries, from patients’ perspective: a systematic review of qualitative studies. BMC Women's Health 2018; 18:106. doi: 10.1186/s12905-018-0605-1 29925358
4. Ahmed S, Holtz SA. Social and economic consequences of obstetric fistula: life changed forever? Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2007; 99 Suppl 1: S10–5.
5. Drew LB, Wilkinson JP, Nundwe W, Moyo M, Mataya R, Mwale M, et al. Long-term outcomes for women after obstetric fistula repair in Lilongwe, Malawi: a qualitative study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2016; 16: 2. doi: 10.1186/s12884-015-0755-1 26732574
6. United Nations Population Fund. Campaign to end fistula. 2019. Accessed from: http://www.endfistula.org/what-fistula. Accessed on 12 April 2019.
7. World Health Organization. Sexual and reproductive health: End fistula. Restore Women's Dignity. 2019. Accessed from: https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topics/maternal_perinatal/fistula/en/. Accessed on: 11 April 2019.
8. Tunçalp Ö, Tripathi V, Landry E, Stanton CK, Saifuddin Ahmed S. Measuring the incidence and prevalence of obstetric fistula: approaches, needs and recommendations. Bull World Health Organ 2015; 93: 60–62. doi: 10.2471/BLT.14.141473 25558110
9. Lewis G, de Bernis L (eds). Obstetric fistula: Guiding principles for clinical management and programme development Geneva: World Health Organization; 2006.
10. Khisa AM, Omoni GM, Nyamongo IK, Spitzer RF. ‘I stayed with my illness’: a grounded theory study of health seeking behaviour and treatment pathways of patients with obstetric fistula in Kenya. BMC Womens Health 2017; 17: 92. doi: 10.1186/s12905-017-0451-6 28962566
11. Cichowitz C, Watt MH, Mchome B, Masenga GG. Delays contributing to the development and repair of obstetric fistula in northern Tanzania. Int Urogynecol J 2018; 29(3): 397–405. doi: 10.1007/s00192-017-3416-2 28836060
12. Baker Z, Bellows B, Bach R, Warren C. Barriers to obstetric fistula treatment in low‐income countries: a systematic review. Trop Med Int Health 2017; 22(8): 938–9. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12893 28510988
13. MEASURE DHS/ICF International. Demographic and Health Surveys methodology: Sampling and household listing manual. Calverton, MD: ICF International;2012.
14. Gele AA, Salad AM, Jimale LH, Kour P, Austveg B, Kumar B. Relying on visiting foreign doctors for fistula repair: The profile of women attending fistula repair surgery in Somalia. Obstet Gynecol Int 2017; 2017: 6069124. doi: 10.1155/2017/6069124 28761443
15. United Nations Population Fund and Engender Health. Obstetric fistula needs assessment report: Findings from nine African countries. New York: Engender Health; 2003.
16. Velez A, Ramsey K, Tell K. The campaign to end Fistula: What have we learned? Findings of facility and community needs assessments. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2007; 99 Suppl 1: S143–50.
17. Maheu-Giroux M, Filippi V, Maulet N, Samadoulougou S, Castro MC, Meda N, et al. Risk factors for vaginal fistula symptoms in Sub-Saharan Africa: a pooled analysis of national household survey data. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2016; 16: 82. doi: 10.1186/s12884-016-0871-6 27098261
18. Atuyambe L, Mirembe F, Tumwesigye NM, Annika J, Kirumira EK, Faxelid E. Adolescent and adult first-time mothers' health seeking practices during pregnancy and early motherhood in Wakiso district, central Uganda. Reprod Health 2008; 5: 13. doi: 10.1186/1742-4755-5-13 19116011
19. Banke-Thomas OE, Banke-Thomas AO, Ameh CA. Factors influencing utilisation of maternal health services by adolescent mothers in Low-and middle-income countries: a systematic review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2017;17(1): 65. doi: 10.1186/s12884-017-1246-3 28209120
20. Nardos R, Browning A, Chen CCG. Risk factors that predict failure after vaginal repair of obstetric vesicovaginal fistulae. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009; 200: 578.e1-578.e4.
21. Egziabher TG, Eugene N, Ben K, Fredrick K. Obstetric fistula management and predictors of successful closure among women attending a public tertiary hospital in Rwanda: a retrospective review of records. BMC Res Notes 2015; 8:774. doi: 10.1186/s13104-015-1771-y 26654111
22. Ramsey K, Iliyasu Z, Idoko L. Fistula fortnight: innovative partnership brings mass treatment and public awareness towards ending obstetric fistula. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2007;99 Suppl 1: S130–6.
23. Delamou A, Delvaux T, Beavogui AH, Toure A, Kolié D, Sidibé. Factors associated with the failure of obstetric fistula repair in Guinea: implications for practice. Reprod Health 2016; 13: 135. doi: 10.1186/s12978-016-0248-3 27821123
24. Tunçalp Ö, Isah A, Landry E, Stanton CK. Community-based screening for obstetric fistula in Nigeria: a novel approach. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2014; 14: 44. doi: 10.1186/1471-2393-14-44 24456506