1. UN (United Nations) Reports. 2017. World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision. Working Paper No. ESA/P/WP.250. Dep. of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, New York, USA.
2. Bodirsky BL, Popp A, Lotze-Campen H, Dietrich JP, Rolinski S, Weindl I, et al. Reactive nitrogen requirements to feed the world in 2050 and potential to mitigate nitrogen pollution. Nature Communications. 2014; 5: 38–58.
3. Stagnari F, Ramazzotti S, Pisante M. Conservation Agriculture: A Different Approach for Crop Production through Sustainable Soil and Water Management: a review. In: Lichtfouse E, ed. Organic Farming, Pest Control and Remediation of Soil Pollutants. 2009. Dordrecht, NL: Springer, 56–83.
4. Iocola I, Bassu S, Farina R, Antichi D, Basso B, Bindi M, et al. Can conservation tillage mitigate climate change impacts in Mediterranean cereal systems? A soil organic carbon assessment using long term experiments. European Journal of Agronomy. 2017; 90: 96–107.
5. López-Garrido R, Madejón E, Murillo JM, Moreno F. Short and long-term distribution with depth of soil organic carbon and nutrients under traditional and conservation tillage in a Mediterranean environment (southwest Spain). Soil Use Manage. 2011; 27: 177–185.
6. Tsialtas JT, Theologidou GS, Karaoglanidis GS. Effects of pyraclostrobin on leaf diseases, leaf physiology, yield and quality of durum wheat under Mediterranean conditions. Crop Protection. 2018; 113: 48–55.
7. Hirel B, Tétu T, Lea PJ, Dubois F. Improving nitrogen use efficiency in crops for sustainable agriculture. Sustainability. 2011; 3: 1452–1485.
8. Xie Y, Xiong Z, Xing G, Sun G, Zhu Z. Assessment of nitrogen pollutant sources in surface waters of Taihu Lake region. Pedosphere. 2007; 17: 200–208.
9. Raun WR, Johnson GV. Improving nitrogen use efficiency for cereal production. Agronomy Journal. 1999; 91: 357–363.
10. Duan Y, Xu M, Wang B, Yang X, Huang S, Gao S. Long-term evaluation of manure application on maize yield and nitrogen use efficiency in China. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 2011; 75: 15–62.
11. Lassaletta L, Billen G, Grizzetti B, Anglade J, Garnier J. 50 year trends in nitrogen use efficiency of world cropping systems: the relationship between yield and nitrogen input to cropland. Environmental Research Letters. 2014; 9: 105011–105020.
12. Samborski S, Tremblay N, Fallon E. Strategies to make use of plant sensors-based diagnostic information for nitrogen recommendations. Agronomy Journal. 2009; 101: 800–816.
13. Greenwood DJ, Lemaire G, Gossef P, Cruz A, Draycott A, Neeteson JJ. Decline in percentage N of C3 and C4 crops with increasing plant mass. Annals of Botany. 1990; 66: 425–436.
14. Justes E, Mary B, Meynard JM, Machet JM, Thelier-Huche L. Determination of critical nitrogen dilution curve for winter wheat crops. Annals of Botany. 1994; 74: 397–407.
15. Justes E, Jeuffroy MH, Mary B. Wheat, barley, and durum wheat. In: Lemaire G, eds. Diagnosis of the nitrogen status in crops. Berlin, DE: Springer- Verlag; 1997; 73–91.
16. Sadras OV, Lemaire G. Quantifying crop nitrogen status for comparisons of agronomic practices and genotypes. Field Crop Research. 2014; 164: 54–64.
17. Busetto L, Casteleyn S, Granell C, Pepe M, Barbieri M, Campos-Taberner M, et al. Downstream Services for Rice Crop Monitoring in Europe: From Regional to Local Scale. IEEE IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. 2017; 10: 5423–5441.
18. Shanyu H, Yuxin M, Qiang C, Yinkun Y, Guangming Z, Weifeng Y, et al. A New Critical Nitrogen Dilution Curve for Rice Nitrogen Status Diagnosis in Northeast China. Pedosphere. 2018; 28: 814–822.
19. Debaeke P, Justes E. Relationship between the Normalized SPAD Index and the Nitrogen Nutrition Index: application to durum wheat. Journal of Plant Nutrition. 2006; 29: 75–92.
20. Confalonieri R, Li T, Hasegawa T, Yin X, Zhu Y, Boote K, et al. Uncertainties in predicting rice yield by current crop models under a wide range of climatic conditions. Global Change Biology. 2015; 21: 1328–1341. doi: 10.1111/gcb.12758 25294087
21. Olfs HW, Blankenau K, Brentrup F, Jasper J, Link A, Lammel J. Soil and plant-based nitrogen-fertilizer recommendations in arable farming. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science. 2005; 168: 414–431.
22. Samborski S, Kozak M, Azevedo RA. Does nitrogen uptake affect nitrogen uptake efficiency, or vice versa? Acta Physiology Plant. 2008; 30: 419–420.
23. Evans RJ. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia. 1989; 78: 9–19. doi: 10.1007/BF00377192 28311896
24. Zheng HL, Liu YC, Qin YL, Chen Y, Fan MS. Establishing dynamic thresholds for potato nitrogen status diagnosis with the SPAD chlorophyll meter. Journal of Integrative Agriculture. 2015; 14: 190–195.
25. Ravier C, Jeuffroy MH, Gate P, Cohan JP. Combining user involvement with innovative design to develop a radical new method for managing N fertilization. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. 2017; 110: 117–134.
26. Arregui LM, Quemada M. Drainage and nitrate leaching in a crop rotation under different N-fertilizer strategies: application of capacitance probes. Plant and Soil. 2006; 288: 57–69.
27. Ali AM, Thind HS, Sharma S, Singh Y. Site-specific nitrogen management in dry direct-seeded rice using chlorophyll meter and leaf colour chart. Pedosphere. 2015; 25: 72–81.
28. Zhao S, Li K, Zhou W, Qiu S, Huang S, He P. Changes in soil microbial community, enzyme activities and organic matter fractions under long-term straw return in north-central China. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment. 2016; 216: 82–88.
29. Yuan Z, Ul-Karim STA, Cao Q, Lu Z, Cao W, Zhu Y, et al. Indicators for diagnosing nitrogen status of rice based on chlorophyll meter readings. Field Crop Research. 2016; 185: 12–20.
30. Lin FF, Qiu LF, Deng JS, Shi YY, Chen LS, Wang K. Investigation of SPAD meter-based indices for estimating rice nitrogen status. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 2010; 71: 60–65.
31. Prost L, Jeuffroy MH. Replacing the nitrogen nutrition index by the chlorophyll meter to assess wheat N status. Agronomy for Sustainable Development. 2007; 27: 321–330.
32. Ziadi N, Bélanger G, Claessens A, Lefebvre L, Tremblay N, Cambouris AN, et al. Plant-based diagnostic tools for evaluating wheat nitrogen status. Crop Science. 2010; 50: 2580–2590.
33. Orsini R, Basili D, Belletti M, Bentivoglio D, Bozzi CA, Chiappini S, et al. Setting of a precision farming robotic laboratory for cropping system sustainability and food safety and security: preliminary results. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 2019; 275: 1–8.
34. FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization). World Reference Base for Soil Resources. World Soil Resources Report 103. 2006. IUSS, ISRIC, FAO. Rome, Italy.
35. Seddaiu G, Iocola I, Orsini R, Iezzi G, Roggero PP. Long-term effects of tillage practices and N fertilization in rainfed Mediterranean cropping systems: durum wheat, sunflower and maize grain yield. European Journal Agronomy. 2016; 77: 166–178.
36. Wood CW, Reeves DW, Himelrick DG. Relationships between chlorophyll meter readings and leaf chlorophyll concentration, N status, and crop yield: a review. Proceedings Agronomy Society of New Zeland. 1993; 23: 1–9.
37. Arnon DJ. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology. 1949; 24: 1–15. doi: 10.1104/pp.24.1.1 16654194
38. Dumas A. Annales de Chimie. 1826; 33: 342.
39. Buckee GK. Determination of total nitrogen in Barley, Malt and Beer by Kjeldahl procedures and the Dumas combustion method. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry. 1994; 100: 57–64.
40. Zadoks JC, Chang TT, Konzak CF. A decimal code for the growth stages of cereals. Weed Research. 1974; 14: 415–421.
41. Abdelhamid MT, Horiuchi T, Oba S. Composting of rice straw with oilseed rape cake and poultry manure and its effects on faba bean (Vicia faba L.) growth and soil properties. Bioresource Technology. 2003; 93: 183–189.
42. Uddling J, Gelang-Alfredsson J, Piikki K, Pleijel H. Evaluating the relationship between leaf chlorophyll concentration and SPAD chlorophyll meter readings. Photosynthesis Research. 2007; 91: 37–46. doi: 10.1007/s11120-006-9077-5 17342446
43. Netto AT, Campostrini E, Oliveira JG, Bressan-Smith RE. Photosynthetic pigments, nitrogen, chlorophyll a fluorescence and SPAD readings in coffee leaves. Scientia Horticulturae. 2005; 104: 199–209.
44. Zhao X, Liu SL, Pu C, Zhang XQ, Xue JF, Ren YX, et al. Crop yields under no-till farming in China: A meta-analysis. European Journal of Agronomy. 2017, 84: 67–75.
45. Farina R, Seddaiu G, Orsini R, Stieglich E, Roggero PP, Francaviglia R. Soil carbon dynamics and crop productivity as influenced by climate change in a rainfed cereal system under contrasting tillage using EPIC. Soil & Tillage Research. 2011; 112: 36–46.
46. De Sanctis G, Roggero PP, Seddaiu G, Orsini R, Porter CH, Jones JW. Long-term no tillage increased soil organic carbon content of rain-fed cereal systems in a Mediterranean area. European Journal of Agronomy. 2012; 40: 18–27.
47. Richardson AD, Duigan SP, Berlyn GP. An evaluation of non-invasive methods to estimate foliar chlorophyll content. New Phytologist. 2002; 153: 185–194.
48. Li HW, Gao HW, Wu HD, Li WY, Wang XY, He J. Effects of 15 years of conservation tillage on soil structure and productivity of wheat cultivation in northern China. Australian Journal of Soil Research. 2007; 45: 344–350.
49. Heyneke E, Watanabe M, Erban A, Duan G, Buchner P, Walther D, et al. Characterization of the Wheat Leaf Metabolome during Grain Filling and under Varied N-Supply. Frontiers in Plant Science. 2017; 8: 20–48. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2017.00020
50. Moussa-Machraoui SB, Errouissi F, Ben-Hammouda M, Nouira S. Comparative effects of conventional and no-tillage management on some soil properties under Mediterranean semi-arid conditions in north-western Tunisia. Soil & Tillage Research. 2010; 106: 247–253.
51. Jemai I, Ben Aissa N, Ben Guirat S, Ben-Hammouda M, Gallali T. Impact of three and seven years of no-tillage on the soil water storage, in the plant root zone, under a dry sub-humid Tunisian climate. Soil & Tillage Research. 2013; 126: 26–33.
52. Paudel KP, Lohr L, Cabrera M. Residue management systems and their implications for production efficiency. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 2006; 21: 124−133.
53. McGinnis L. Show me the money: Why economics is essential for sustainable agriculture. Agricultural Research. 2007; 55: 8–11.
54. López-Bellido L, Muñoz-Romero V, López-Bellido RJ. Nitrate accumulation in the soil profile Long-term effects of tillage, rotation and N rate in a Mediterranean Vertisol. Soil and Tillage Research. 2013; 130: 18–23.