1. Zou Y, Huang M. Opportunities and challenges for crop production in China during the transition period. Acta Agron Sin. 2018; 44: 791–795.
2. Zou Y. Development of cultivation technology for double cropping rice along the Changjiang River valley. Sci Agr Sin. 2011; 44: 254–262.
3. Peng S, Tang Q, Zou Y. Current status and challenges of rice production in China. Plant Prod Sci. 2009; 12: 3–8.
4. Peng S. Reflection on China’s rice production strategies during the transition period. Sci Sin Vitae. 2014; 44: 845–850.
5. National Bureau of Statistics of China. Planting area of major crops. 2019. http://data.stats.gov.cn/easyquery.htm?cn=C01.
6. Huang M, Ibrahim M, Xia B, Zou Y. Significance, progress and prospects for research in simplified cultivation technologies for rice in China. J Agr Sci. 2011; 149: 487–496.
7. Kung JK. Off-farm labor markets and the emergence of land rental markets in rural China. J Comp Econ. 2002; 30: 395–414.
8. Xia X, Xin X, Ma L. What are the determinants of large-scale farming in China? China World Econ. 2017; 25: 93–108.
9. Huang M, Zou Y. Integrating mechanization with agronomy and breeding to ensure food security in China. Field Crops Res. 2018; 224: 22–27.
10. Yoshida S. Fundamentals of rice crop science. International Rice Research Institute, Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines; 1981. p. 60–61.
11. Zhang Y, Tang Q, Zou Y, Li D, Qin J, Yang S, et al. Yield potential and radiation use efficiency of super hybrid rice grown under subtropical conditions. Field Crops Res. 2009; 114: 91–98.
12. Huang M, Zou Y, Jiang P, Xia B, Ibrahim M, Ao H. Relationship between grain yield and yield components in super hybrid rice. Agric Sci China. 2011; 10: 1537–1544.
13. Hongthong P, Huang M, Xia B, Cao F, Jiang P, Zou Y. Yield formation strategies of a loose-panicle super hybrid rice. Res Crops. 2012; 13: 781–789.
14. Jones DB, Peterson ML, Geng S. Association between grain filling rate and duration and yield components in rice. Crop Sci. 1979; 19: 641–644.
15. Huang M, Zou Y. Comparison of grain-filling characteristics between two super rice cultivars with remarkable difference in grain weight. World Appl Sci J. 2009; 6: 674–679.
16. Sikder HP, Gupta DKD. Physiology of grain in rice. Indian Agr. 1976; 20: 133–141.
17. Yang J, Peng S, Zhang Z, Wang Z, Visperas RM, Zhu Q. Grain and dry matter yields and partitioning of assimilates in Japonica/Indica hybrid rice. Crop Sci. 2002; 42: 766–772.
18. Liang J, Zhang J, Cao X. Grain sink strength may be related to the poor grain filling of indica-japonica rice (Oryza sativa) hybrids. Physiol Plant. 2001; 112: 470–477. 11473706
19. Yang J, Zhang J. Grain filling of cereals under soil drying. New Phytol. 2006; 169: 223–236. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01597.x 16411926
20. Huang M, Shan S, Xie X, Cao F, Zou Y. Why high grain yield can be achieved in single seedlings machine-transplanted hybrid rice under dense planting conditions? J Integr Agr. 2018; 17: 1299–1306.
21. Shi W, Muthurajan R, Rahman H, Selvam J, Peng S, Zou Y, et al. Source-sink dynamics and proteomic reprogramming under elevated night temperature and their impact on rice yield and grain quality. New Phytol. 2013; 197: 825–837. doi: 10.1111/nph.12088 23252708
22. Li Q, Wang H, Wang H, Li Y, Wang Z, Zhang X. Effect of arsenate on endogenous levels of cytokinins with different existing forms in two Pteris species. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2018; 132: 652–659. doi: 10.1016/j.plaphy.2018.10.009 30340177
23. Yang W, Peng S, Laza RC, Visperas RM, Dionisio-Sese ML. Yield gap analysis between dry and wet season rice crop grown under high-yield management conditions. Agron J. 2008; 100: 1390–1395.
24. Huang M, Fan L, Zou Y. Contrasting responses of grain yield to reducing nitrogen application rate in double- and single-season rice. Sci. Rep. 2019; 9: 92. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-36572-0 30643178
25. Huang M, Zhang H, Zhao C, Chen G, Zou Y. Amino acid content in rice grains is affected by high temperature during the early grain-filling period. Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 2700. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-38883-2 30804353
26. Huang M, Zhang R, Jiang P, Xie X, Zhou X, Cao F, et al. Temperature-related yield constraints of early-rice in south China: a cross-location analysis. PLoS ONE. 2016; 11(7): e0158601. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0158601 27366908
27. Yang J, Zhang J. Crop management techniques to enhance harvest index in rice. J Exp Bot. 2010; 61: 3177–3189. doi: 10.1093/jxb/erq112 20421195