1. WHO | World Health Day 2013. World Health Organization Global Brief on Hypertension. Available from: http://www.who.int/campaigns/world-health-day/2013/en/ Cited 12 April 2016.
2. Institute for Public Health. National Health and Morbidity Survey (NHMS) 2015;2:17–9. Available from: http://www.iku.gov.my/index.php/research-eng/list-of-research-eng/iku-eng/nhms-eng/nhms-2015 Cited 4 September 2018.
3. Fan AZ, Mallawaarachchi DSV, Gilbertz D, Li Y, Mokdad AH. Lifestyle behaviors and receipt of preventive health care services among hypertensive Americans aged 45 years or older in 2007. Prev Med (Baltim). 2010;50(3):138–142.
4. Lin P-H, Appel LJ, Funk K, Craddick S, Chen C, Elmer P, et al. The PREMIER intervention helps participants follow the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension dietary pattern and the current Dietary Reference Intakes recommendations. J Am Diet Assoc. 2007;107(9):1541–1551. doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2007.06.019 17761231
5. Bodenheimer T. Patient Self-management of Chronic Disease in Primary Care. JAMA. American Medical Association. 2002;288(19):2469. doi: 10.1001/jama.288.19.2469 12435261
6. Orem DE. Concepts of practice. 3. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1985
7. Han H-R, Lee H, Commodore-Mensah Y, Kim M. Development and validation of the Hypertension Self-care Profile: a practical tool to measure hypertension self-care. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2014;29(3):E11–20. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182a3fd46 24088621
8. Hu H, Li G, Arao T. Prevalence rates of self-care behaviors and related factors in a rural hypertension population: a questionnaire survey. Int J Hypertens. 2013;2013:526949. doi: 10.1155/2013/526949 23819042
9. Neminqani DM, El-Shereef EAA, Thubiany MMAL. Hypertensive Patients: Self-Care Management Practices in Al-Taif, KSA. Int J Sci Res. 2013; 12(4): 1705–1714.
10. Schroeder K, Fahey T, Ebrahim S. How can we improve adherence to blood pressure-lowering medication in ambulatory care? Systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164(7):722–732. doi: 10.1001/archinte.164.7.722 15078641
11. Britt E, Hudson SM, Blampied NM. Motivational interviewing in health settings: a review. Patient Educ Couns. 2004;53(2):147–155. doi: 10.1016/S0738-3991(03)00141-1 15140454
12. Resnick B, Shaughnessy M, Galik E, Scheve A, Fitten R, Morrison T, et al. Pilot testing of the PRAISEDD intervention among African American and low-income older adults. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2009;24(5):352–61. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3181ac0301 19652618
13. Han H-R, Song H-J, Nguyen T, Kim MT. Measuring self-care in patients with hypertension: a systematic review of literature. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2014;29(1):55–67. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182775fd1 23348221
14. Dickinson HO, Mason JM, Nicolson DJ, Campbell F, Beyer FR, Cook J V, et al. Lifestyle interventions to reduce raised blood pressure: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. J Hypertens. 2006;24(2):215–233. doi: 10.1097/01.hjh.0000199800.72563.26 16508562
15. Warren-Findlow J, Seymour RB, Brunner Huber LR. The association between self-efficacy and hypertension self-care activities among African American adults. J Community Health. 2012;37(1):15–24. doi: 10.1007/s10900-011-9410-6 21547409
16. Koh YLE, Lua YHA, Hong L, Bong HSS, Yeo LSJ, Tsang LPM, et al. Using a Web-Based Approach to Assess Test-Retest Reliability of the “Hypertension Self-Care Profile” Tool in an Asian Population: A Validation Study. Medicine (Baltimore). Wolters Kluwer Health; 2016;95(9):e2955.
17. Seow KC, Mohamed Yusoff D, Koh YLE, Tan NC. What is the test-retest reliability of the Malay version of the Hypertension Self-Care Profile self efficacy assessment tool? A validation study in primary care. BMJ Open. 2017;7(9):e016152. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016152 28882912
18. Ngoh SHA, Lim HWL, Koh YLE, Tan NC. Test-retest reliability of the Mandarin versions of the Hypertension Self-Care Profile instrument. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96(45):e8568. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000008568 29137076
19. Lemeshow, Stanley, Hosmer, David W, Klar, Janelle, Lwanga et al. Adequacy of sample size in health studies 1990. Available from: http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/41607. Cited 4 April 2016
20. Clinical practice guidelines, Management of Diabetes Mellitus. Ministry of Health Malaysia; 2015. Available from: http://www.moh.gov.my/penerbitan/CPG/CPG%20T2DM%202015.pdf. Cited 4 April 2016.
21. Clinical practice guidelines, Management of Hypertension. Ministry of Health Malaysia; 2013.
22. Clinical practice guidelines, Management of Obesity. Ministry of Health Malaysia; 2004.
23. Institute for Public Health (IPH) 2015. National Health and Morbidity Survey 2015 (NHMS 2015). Ministry of Health, Malaysia.
24. Motlagh Sayed Fazel Zinat, Chaman Reza, Sadeghi Erfan, and Eslami Ahmad Ali. Self-Care Behaviors and Related Factors in Hypertensive Patients. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016; 18(6):e35805.
25. WHO. The men’s health gap: men must be included in the global health equity agenda. Available from: http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/92/8/13-132795/en/ Cited 4 September 2018.
26. Tan Andrew K.G., Dunn Richard A., and Yen Steven T. Ethnic Disparities in Metabolic Syndrome in Malaysia:An Analysis by Risk Factors. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2011;9(6):441–451 doi: 10.1089/met.2011.0031 21815810
27. Choong Y O, Tan C E, Lim Y H, Tan M Z & Liew C Y. Help seeking behaviour among secondary school students in Malaysia. E-Proceeding of the International Conference on Social Science Research, ICSSR 2015 (e-ISBN 978-967-0792-04-0). 8 & 9 June 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
28. Andrulis Dennis P. and Brach Cindy. Integrating Literacy, Culture, and Language to Improve Health Care Quality for Diverse Populations. Am J Health Behav. 2007; 31(Suppl 1): S122–S133. doi: 10.5555/ajhb.2007.31.supp.S122 17931131
29. Etesamifard Tahereh, Jouybari Touraj Ahmadi, Zinat-Motlagh Fazel, Mahbobi Mohammad, Aghaei Abba, Ataee Mari. Is the Health Belief Model as an Appropriate Predictor of the Self-Care Behaviors in Type II Diabetic Patients?Journal of Biology and today’s world 2014; 3 (12): 275–279.
30. Tol Azar, Shojaeezadeh Davoud, Sharifirad Golamreza, Eslami Ahmadali, Mohajeritehrani Mohamadreza, Abdolvahab Baghbanian Evaluation of self-care practices and relative components among type 2 diabetic patients. J Edu Health Promot. 2012:1:19.
31. Taylor SJC, Pinnock H, Epiphaniou E, Pearce G, Parke HL, Schwappach A, et al. A rapid synthesis of the evidence on interventions supporting self-management for people with long-term conditions: PRISMS–Practical systematic Review of Self-Management Support for long-term conditions. Southampton (UK): NIHR Journals Library; 2014 Dec.
32. Verberk WJ, Kessels AG, Thien T. Telecare is a valuable tool for hypertension management, a systematic review and meta-analysis. Blood Press Monit. 2011;16(3):149–55. doi: 10.1097/MBP.0b013e328346e092 21527847
33. McLean G, Band R, Saunderson K, Hanlon P, Murray E, Little P, et al. Digital interventions to promote self-management in adults with hypertension systematic review and meta-analysis. J Hypertens. 2016;34(4):600–12. doi: 10.1097/HJH.0000000000000859 26845284
34. Bosch-Capblanch X, Abba K, Prictor M, Garner P. Contracts between patients and healthcare practitioners for improving patients’ adherence to treatment, prevention and health promotion activities. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007;2:CD004808
35. Ebrahim S. Detection, adherence and control of hypertension for the prevention of stroke: a systematic review. Health Technol Assess 1998;2(11). 9789758
36. Glynn LG, Murphy AW, Smith SM, Schroeder K, Fahey T. Interventions used to improve control of blood pressure in patients with hypertension. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;3:CD005182.
37. Chodosh J, Morton SC, Mojica W, Maglione M, Suttorp MJ, Hilton L, et al. Improving patient care. Meta-analysis: chronic disease self-management programs for older adults. Ann Intern Med. 2005;143:427–440. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-143-6-200509200-00007 16172441
38. Hamilton DF, Ghert M, A. H. R. W. Simpson AHRW. Interpreting regression models in clinical outcome studies. Bone Joint Res. 2015; 4(9): 152–3. Published online 2015 Sep 1. doi: 10.1302/2046-3758.49.2000571 26392591