1. World Health Organization. Safe abortion: technical and policy guidance for health systems, 2nd edition: World Health Organization; 2012.
2. Grimes DA, Benson J, Singh S, Romero M, Ganatra B, Okonofua FE, et al. Unsafe abortion: the preventable pandemic. The Lancet. 2006;368(9550):1908–19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69481-6.
3. Zane S, Creanga AA, Berg CJ, Pazol K, Suchdev DB, Jamieson DJ, et al. Abortion-Related Mortality in the United States 1998–2010. Obstetrics and gynecology. 2015;126(2):258. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000000945 26241413
4. Raymond EG, Grimes DA. The comparative safety of legal induced abortion and childbirth in the United States. Obstetrics and gynecology. 2012;119(2 Pt 1):215–9. Epub 2012/01/25. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0b013e31823fe923 22270271.
5. Upadhyay UD, Johns NE, Barron R, Cartwright AF, Tapé C, Mierjeski A, et al. Abortion-related emergency department visits in the United States: An analysis of a national emergency department sample. BMC medicine. 2018;16(1):88. doi: 10.1186/s12916-018-1072-0 29898742
6. Kassebaum NJ, Bertozzi-Villa A, Coggeshall MS, Shackelford KA, Steiner C, Heuton KR, et al. Global, regional, and national levels and causes of maternal mortality during 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet. 2014;384(9947):980–1004. Epub 2014/05/07. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60696-6 24797575; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4255481.
7. Say L, Chou D, Gemmill A, Tuncalp O, Moller AB, Daniels J, et al. Global causes of maternal death: a WHO systematic analysis. The Lancet Global health. 2014;2(6):e323–33. Epub 2014/08/12. doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(14)70227-X 25103301.
8. Juarez F, Singh S, Garcia SG, Olavarrieta CD. Estimates of induced abortion in Mexico: what's changed between 1990 and 2006? International Family Planning Perspectives. 2008:158–68.
9. Miller S, Lehman T, Campbell M, Hemmerling A, Brito Anderson S, Rodriguez H, et al. Misoprostol and declining abortion‐related morbidity in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: a temporal association. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2005;112(9):1291–6.
10. Faundes A, Santos L, Carvalho M, Gras C. Post-abortion complications after interruption of pregnancy with misoprostol. Advances in Contraception. 1996;12(1):1–9. 8739511
11. World Health Organization. Unsafe abortion incidence and mortality: global and regional levels in 2008 and trends during 1990–2008. World Health Organization, 2012.
12. Footman K, Keenan K, Reiss K, Reichwein B, Biswas P, Church K. Medical Abortion Provision by Pharmacies and Drug Sellers in Low‐and Middle‐Income Countries: A Systematic Review. Studies in family planning. 2018;49(1):57–70. doi: 10.1111/sifp.12049 29508948
13. Gerdts C, Hudaya I. Quality of Care in a Safe-Abortion Hotline in Indonesia: Beyond Harm Reduction. American journal of public health. 2016;106(11):2071–5. Epub 2016/09/16. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2016.303446 27631756; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5055796.
14. Gerdts C, Jayaweera RT, Baum SE, Hudaya I. Second-trimester medication abortion outside the clinic setting: an analysis of electronic client records from a safe abortion hotline in Indonesia. BMJ sexual & reproductive health. 2018. Epub 2018/07/20. doi: 10.1136/bmjsrh-2018-200102 30021794; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6225793.
15. Aiken AR, Digol I, Trussell J, Gomperts R. Self reported outcomes and adverse events after medical abortion through online telemedicine: population based study in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2017;357:j2011.
16. Jelinska K, Yanow S. Putting abortion pills into women's hands: realizing the full potential of medical abortion. Contraception. 2018;97(2):86–9. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2017.05.019 28780241
17. World Health Organization. Safe Abortion: Technical and Policy Guidance for Health Systems, 2nd Edition. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2012.
18. Sedgh G, Filippi V, Owolabi OO, Singh SD, Askew I, Bankole A, et al. Insights from an expert group meeting on the definition and measurement of unsafe abortion. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics. 2016;134(1):104–6.
19. Ganatra B, Gerdts C, Rossier C, Johnson BR Jr, Tunçalp Ö, Assifi A, et al. Global, regional, and subregional classification of abortions by safety, 2010–14: estimates from a Bayesian hierarchical model. The Lancet. 2017;390(10110):2372–81.
20. Zimmerman L, Olson H, Tsui A, Radloff S. PMA2020: Rapid Turn‐Around Survey Data to Monitor Family Planning Service and Practice in Ten Countries. Studies in Family Planning. 2017:1–11.
21. Bell SO, Shankar M, Omoluabi E, Khanna A, Hyacinthe A, OlaOlorun F, et al. Methodological Advances in Survey-Based Abortion Estimation: Promising Findings from Nigeria, India, and Cote d’Ivoire. Population Association of America Annual Meeting; Austin, Texas2019.
22. Sedgh G, Bearak J, Singh S, Bankole A, Popinchalk A, Ganatra B, et al. Abortion incidence between 1990 and 2014: global, regional, and subregional levels and trends. The Lancet. 2016;388(10041):258–67.
23. Darney BG, Powell B, Andersen K, Baum SE, Blanchard K, Gerdts C, et al. Quality of care and abortion: beyond safety. British Medical Journal Publishing Group; 2018.