1. Gawande AA, Zinner MJ, Studdert DM, Brennan TA. Analysis of errors reported by surgeons at three teaching hospitals. Surgery. 2003; 133:614–21. doi: 10.1067/msy.2003.169 12796727
2. Lingard L, Espin S, Whyte S, Regehr G, Baker G, Reznick R, et al. Communication failures in the operating room: an observational classification of recurrent types and effects. Qual Saf Health Care. 2004; 13:330–4. doi: 10.1136/qshc.2003.008425 15465935
3. Joint Commission. Sentinel event data: root causes by event type 2004–2Q 2015. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/18/Root_Causes_Event_Type_2004-2Q_2015.pdf. Accessed August 26, 2015.
4. Hull L, Arora S, Aggarwal R, Darzi A, Vincent C, Sevdalis N. The impact of nontechnical skills on technical performance in surgery: a systematic review. J Am Coll Surg. 2012; 214:214–30. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2011.10.016 22200377
5. Communication. Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary. 11th ed. Springfield, MA: Meriamm-Webster, Inc; 2003:251.
6. Webster JL, Cao CG. Lowering communication barriers in operating room technology. Hum Factors. 2006; 48:747–58. doi: 10.1518/001872006779166271 17240722
7. Nyssen A-S, Balvier A. Verbal communication as a sign of adaptation in socio-technical systems: the case of robotic surgery. Proceedings of the NDM9, 9th International Conference on Naturalistic Decision Making. London: British Computer Society; 2009:267–72.
8. Cao CGL, Taylor H. Effects of new technology on the operating room team. In: Khalid HM, Helander MG, Yeo AW, eds. Work with Computing Systems. Kuala Lumpur: Damai Sciences; 2004:309–12.
9. Kurmann A, Peter M, Tschan F, Muhlemann K, Candinas D, Beldi G. Adverse effect of noise in the operating theatre on surgical-site infection. Br J Surg. 2011; 98:1021–5. doi: 10.1002/bjs.7496 21618484
10. Engelmann CR, Neis JP, Kirschbaum C, Grote G, Ure BM. A noise-reduction program in a pediatric operation theatre is associated with surgeon's benefits and a reduced rate of complications: a prospective controlled clinical trial. Ann Surg. 2014; 259:1025–33. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000000253 24394594
11. Sexton JB, Helmreich RL, Neilands TB, Rowan K, Vella K, Boydan J, et al. The Safety Attitudes Questionnaire: psychometric properties, benchmarking data, and emerging research. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006; 6:44. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-6-44 16584553
12. Watts BV, Percarpio K, West P, Mills PD. Use of the Safety Attitudes Questionnaire as a measure in patient safety improvement. J Patient Saf. 2010; 6:206–9. doi: 10.1097/pts.0b013e3181fbbe86 21500606
13. Charlson ME, Pompei P, Ales KL, MacKenzie CR. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40:373–83. doi: 10.1016/0021-9681(87)90171-8 3558716
14. Dindo D, Demartines N, Clavien PA. Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey. Ann Surg. 2004; 240:205–13. doi: 10.1097/01.sla.0000133083.54934.ae 15273542
15. Lowrance WT, Eastham JA, Savage C, Maschino AC, Laudone VP, Christopher B, et al. Contemporary open and robotic radical prostatectomy practice patterns among urologists in the United States. J Urol. 2012; 187:2087–92. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2012.01.061 22498227
16. Smorgick N, As-Sanie S. The benefits and challenges of robotic-assisted hysterectomy. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 26:290–4. doi: 10.1097/GCO.0000000000000080 24914631
17. Anderson JE, Chang DC, Parsons JK, Talamini MA. The first national examination of outcomes and trends in robotic surgery in the United States. J Am Coll Surg. 2012; 215:107–14. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2012.02.005 22560318
18. Tsui C, Klein R, Garabrant M. Minimally invasive surgery: national trends in adoption and future directions for hospital strategy. Surg Endosc. 2013; 27:2253–7. doi: 10.1007/s00464-013-2973-9 23660720
19. Lee YL, Kilic GS, Phelps JY. Medicolegal review of liability risks for gynecologists stemming from lack of training in robot-assisted surgery. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2011; 18:512–5. doi: 10.1016/j.jmig.2011.04.002 21777841
20. Lenihan JP Jr. Navigating credentialing, privileging, and learning curves in robotics with an evidence and experienced-based approach. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 54:382–90. doi: 10.1097/GRF.0b013e31822b47e2 21857169
21. Murphy DG, Bjartell A, Ficarra V, Graefen M, Haese A, Montironi R, et al. Downsides of robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: limitations and complications. Eur Urol. 2010; 57:735–46. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2009.12.021 20036784
22. Wiegmann DA, ElBardissi AW, Dearani JA, Daly RC, Sundt TM 3rd. Disruptions in surgical flow and their relationship to surgical errors: an exploratory investigation. Surgery. 2007; 142:658–65. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2007.07.034 17981185
23. Sengpiel E. Decibel table, SPL, loudness comparison chart. Available at: www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSoundPressureLevels.htm. Accessed August 26, 2015.