1. Fisher RS, Acevedo C, Arzimanoglou A, Bogacz A, Cross JH, Elger CE, et al. ILAE official report: a practical clinical definition of epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2014;55(4):475–82. doi: 10.1111/epi.12550 24730690
2. Organization WH. Atlas: epilepsy care in the world, 2005. Atlas: epilepsy care in the world, 2005. 2005.
3. Epilepsy key facts [Internet]. World health organization. 2018 [cited October/ 1/2018]. Available from: http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/epilepsy.
4. Ngugi AK, Bottomley C, Kleinschmidt I, Sander JW, Newton CR. Estimation of the burden of active and life-time epilepsy: a meta-analytic approach. Epilepsia. 2010;51(5):883–90. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02481.x 20067507
5. Singh A, Trevick S. The epidemiology of global epilepsy. Neurologic clinics. 2016;34(4):837–47. doi: 10.1016/j.ncl.2016.06.015 27719996
6. Espinosa-Jovel C, Toledano R, Aledo-Serrano Á, García-Morales I, Gil-Nagel A. Epidemiological profile of epilepsy in low income populations. Seizure. 2018;56:67–72. doi: 10.1016/j.seizure.2018.02.002 29453113
7. Hong Z, Qu B, Wu XT, Yang TH, Zhang Q, Zhou D. Economic burden of epilepsy in a developing country: a retrospective cost analysis in China. Epilepsia. 2009;50(10):2192–8. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02185.x 19583782
8. ATLAS epilepsy care in world 2005 [Internet]. 2005 [cited October/1/2018]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mental_health/neurology/Epilepsy_atlas_r1.pdf.
9. Newton CR, Garcia HH. Epilepsy in poor regions of the world. The Lancet. 2012;380(9848):1193–201.
10. Diop A, Hesdorffer D, Logroscino G, Hauser W. Epilepsy and mortality in Africa: a review of the literature. Epilepsia. 2005;46:33–5.
11. Annual Report 2003 for the Global Campaign against Epilepsy [Internet]. 2003 [cited October/1/2018]. Available from: http://www.globalcampaignagainstepilepsy.org/annual-report-2003/?d224=3.
12. Epilepsy in African region: Bridging the Gap [Internet]. ILAE. [cited October/ 01/2018]. Available from: https://www.ilae.org/files/dmfile/Declaration-English-reduced.pdf.
13. Worku DK. Review Article: Epilepsy in Ethiopia. American academy of neurology. 2013;80(7). doi: 10.1212/WNL.0b013e3182823361
14. Kinyanjui DW, Kathuku DM, Mburu JM. Quality of life among patients living with epilepsy attending the neurology clinic at Kenyatta National Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya: a comparative study. Health and quality of life outcomes. 2013;11(1):98.
15. Djibuti M, Shakarishvili R. Influence of clinical, demographic, and socioeconomic variables on quality of life in patients with epilepsy: findings from Georgian study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry. 2003;74(5):570–3.
16. Lim Y-J, Chan S-Y, Ko Y. Stigma and health-related quality of life in Asian adults with epilepsy. Epilepsy research. 2009;87(2–3):107–19. doi: 10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2009.08.014 19782536
17. Tegegne MT, Muluneh NY, Wochamo TT, Awoke AA, Mossie TB, Yesigat MA. Assessment of quality of life and associated factors among people with epilepsy attending at Amanuel Mental Specialized Hospital, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Science Journal of Public Health. 2014;2(5):378–83.
18. Rathor MY, Shahar MA, Omar AMB, Shah AS, Hasmoni MH, Draman CR, et al. Assessment of Knowledge, attitude and practices of Epilepsy Patients towards their illness and treatment in a tertiary care hospital in Kuantan Pahang Malaysia. Bangladesh Journal of Medical Science. 2017;16(4):545–53.
19. Shakir M, Al-Asadi JN. Quality of life and its determinants in people with epilepsy in Basrah, Iraq. Sultan Qaboos University medical journal. 2012;12(4):449. 23275841
20. Ashwin M, Rakesh P, Pricilla RA, Manjunath K, Jacob K, Prasad J. Determinants of quality of life among people with epilepsy attending a secondary care rural hospital in south India. Journal of neurosciences in rural practice. 2013;4(Suppl 1):S62. doi: 10.4103/0976-3147.116467 24174803
21. De Boer HM, Moshé SL, Korey SR, Purpura DP. ILAE/IBE/WHO Global Campaign Against Epilepsy: a partnership that works. Current opinion in neurology. 2013;26(2):219–25. doi: 10.1097/WCO.0b013e32835f2037 23449175
22. Alsaadi T, El Hammasi K, Shahrour TM, Shakra M, Turkawi L, Nasreddine W, et al. Depression and anxiety among patients with epilepsy and multiple sclerosis: UAE comparative study. Behavioural neurology. 2015;2015.
23. Tiki T, Birhanu A, Mamo K. Assessment of the Prevalence and Factors Associated to Perceived Stigma among Epileptic Patient who are on Follow up at Hospitals in West Shewa Zone, Central Ethiopia, Institutional Based Cross-Sectional Study, 2017. J Neurol Neurobiol. 2018;4(2).
24. Rakesh P, Ramesh R, Rachel P, Chanda R, Satish N, Mohan V. Quality of life among people with epilepsy: a cross-sectional study from rural southern India. Natl Med J India. 2012;25(25):261–4.
25. Choi-Kwon S, Chung C, Kim H, Lee S, Yoon S, Kho H, et al. Factors affecting the quality of life in patients with epilepsy in Seoul, South Korea. Acta Neurol Scand. 2003;108(6):428–34. doi: 10.1046/j.1600-0404.2003.00151.x 14616296
26. Bautista RE, Glen ET. Seizure severity is associated with quality of life independent of seizure frequency. Epilepsy Behav. 2009;16(2):325–9. doi: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2009.07.037 19713158
27. Thomas SV, Koshy S, Nair CS, Sarma SP. Frequent seizures and polytherapy can impair quality of life in persons with epilepsy. Neurology India. 2005;53(1):46. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.15054 15805655
28. Gurshaw M, Agalu A, Chanie T. Anti-epileptic drug utilization and treatment outcome among epileptic patients on follow-up in a resource poor setting. Journal of Young Pharmacists. 2014;6(3):47.
29. MekonenTefera G, Woldehaimanot TE, Tarekegn M. Poor treatment outcomes and associated factors among epileptic patients at Ambo Hospital, Ethiopia. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF THERAPEUTICS. 2015;21(1):9–16.
30. Niriayo YL, Mamo A, Kassa TD, Asgedom SW, Atey TM, Gidey K, et al. Treatment outcome and associated factors among patients with epilepsy. Scientific reports. 2018;8(1):17354. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-35906-2 30478263
31. Chen Z, Brodie MJ, Liew D, Kwan P. Treatment outcomes in patients with newly diagnosed epilepsy treated with established and new antiepileptic drugs: a 30-year longitudinal cohort study. JAMA neurology. 2018;75(3):279–86. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2017.3949 29279892
32. Organization WH. WHOQOL-BREF: introduction, administration, scoring and generic version of the assessment: field trial version, December 1996. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1996.
33. Birbeck GL, Hays RD, Cui X, Vickrey BG. Seizure reduction and quality of life improvements in people with epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2002;43(5):535–8. doi: 10.1046/j.1528-1157.2002.32201.x 12027916
34. Yue L, Yu P-m, Zhao D-h, Wu D-y, Zhu G-x, Wu X-y, et al. Determinants of quality of life in people with epilepsy and their gender differences. Epilepsy & Behavior. 2011;22(4):692–6.
35. Santos JRA. Cronbach’s alpha: A tool for assessing the reliability of scales. Journal of extension. 1999;37(2):1–5.
36. Lin C-Y, Chen H, Pakpour AH. Correlation between adherence to antiepileptic drugs and quality of life in patients with epilepsy: a longitudinal study. Epilepsy & Behavior. 2016;63:103–8.
37. Lin C-Y, Burri A, Fridlund B, Pakpour AH. Female sexual function mediates the effects of medication adherence on quality of life in people with epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behavior. 2017;67:60–5.
38. Reba K, Birhane BW, Gutema H. Validity and Reliability of the Amharic Version of the World Health Organization’s Quality of Life Questionnaire (WHOQOL-BREF) in Patients with Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes in Felege Hiwot Referral Hospital, Ethiopia. Journal of diabetes research. 2019;2019.
39. O’brien RM. A caution regarding rules of thumb for variance inflation factors. Quality & quantity. 2007;41(5):673–90.
40. Taylor RS, Sander JW, Taylor RJ, Baker GA. Predictors of health‐related quality of life and costs in adults with epilepsy: A systematic review. Epilepsia. 2011;52(12):2168–80. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03213.x 21883177
41. Viteva E. Impact of social factors on the quality of life of patients with refractory epilepsy. Acta Neurol Taiwan. 2013;22(2):51–8. 24030036
42. Asadi-Pooya AA, Sperling MR. Depression and anxiety in patients with epilepsy, with or without other chronic disorders. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2011;13(2):112–6. 22737444
43. Alsaadi T, Kassie S, El Hammasi K, Shahrour TM, Shakra M, Turkawi L, et al. Potential factors impacting health-related quality of life among patients with epilepsy: Results from the United Arab Emirates. Seizure. 2017;53:13–7. doi: 10.1016/j.seizure.2017.10.017 29096164
44. Alexander HB, Broshek DK, Quigg M. Quality of life in adults with epilepsy is associated with anticonvulsant polypharmacy independent of seizure status. Epilepsy Behav. 2018;78:96–9. doi: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2017.11.006 29179106