1. World Health Organization. Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents: recommendations for a public health approach. Geneva, Switzerland. 2010.
2. World Health Organization. Consolidated Guidelines on the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating and Preventing HIV Infection: Recommendations for a Public Health Approach. Geneva, Switzerland. 2013.
3. World Health Organization. Consolidated Guidelines on the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating and Preventing HIV Infection: Recommendations for a Public Health Approach. Geneva, Switzerland. 2016.
4. Doherty M, Beusemberg M, Vitoria M, Ford N, Low Beer D, Hirnschall G. Treat All: WHO policy adoption and implementation status in countries. 22nd International AIDS Conference. 2018. Amsterdam, Netherlands. Abstract THPED563.
5. Clinton Health Access Initiative. 2018 HIV Market Report. Accessed January 25, 2019: https://clintonhealthaccess.org/content/uploads/2018/09/2018-HIV-Market-Report_FINAL.pdf
6. World Health Organization. Guidelines for managing advanced HIV disease and rapid initiation of antiretroviral therapy. Geneva, Switzerland. 2017.
7. World Health Organization. What’s new in treatment monitoring: viral load and CD4 testing. Geneva, Switzerland. 2017.
8. Hakim J, Musiime V, Szubert AJ, Mallewa J, Siika A, Agutu C, et al. Enhanced prophylaxis plus antiretroviral therapy for advanced HIV infection in Africa. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:233–45. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1615822 28723333
9. Joint United National Programme on HIV/AIDS. Global AIDS Update: Miles to go, closing gaps, breaking barriers, righting injustices. Geneva. 2018.
10. Walker AS, Prendergast AJ, Mugyenyi P, Munderi P, Hakim J, Kekitiinwa A, et al. Mortality in the year following antiretroviral therapy initiation in HIV-infected adults and children in Uganda and Zimbabwe. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55:1707–18. doi: 10.1093/cid/cis797 22972859
11. Ford N, Shubber Z, Meintjes G, Grinsztejn B, Eholie S, Mills EJ, et al. Causes of hospital admission among people living with HIV worldwide: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet HIV. 2015;2:e438–44. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3018(15)00137-X 26423651
12. Low A, Gavriilidis G, Larke N, B-Lajoie MR, Drouin O, Stover J, et al. Incidence of opportunistic infections and the impact of antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected adults in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2016;62:1595–603. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciw125 26951573
13. Ford N, Meintjes G, Calmy A, Bygrave H, Migone C, Vitoria M, et al. Managing advanced HIV disease in a public health approach. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66(S2):S106–110.
14. Post FA, Szubert AJ, Prendergast AJ, Johnston V, Lyall H, Fitzgerald F, et al. Causes and timing of mortality and morbidity among late presenters starting antiretroviral therapy in the REALITY trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66(S2):S132–139.
15. Calmy A, Ford N, Meintjes G. The persistent challenge of advanced HIV disease and AIDS in the era of antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66(S2):S103–105.
16. Habiyambere V, Ford N, Low-Beer D, Nkengasong J, Sands A, Pérez González M, et al. Availability and Use of HIV Monitoring and Early Infant Diagnosis Technologies in WHO Member States in 2011–2013: Analysis of Annual Surveys at the Facility Level. PLoS Med. 2016;13(8): e1002088. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002088 27551917
17. Koenker R and Bassett G. Regression Quantiles. Econometrica. 1978;46(1):33–50.
18. Carmona S, Bor J, Nattey C, Maughan-Brown B, Maskew M, Fox MP, et al. Persistent high burden of advanced HIV disease among patients seeking care in South Africa’s national HIV program: data from a nationwide laboratory cohort. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66(S2):S111–S117.
19. The IeDEA and COHERE Cohort Collaborations. Global Trends in CD4 Cell Count at the Start of Antiretorviral Therapy: Collaborative Study of Treatment Programs. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66(6):893–903. doi: 10.1093/cid/cix915 29373672
20. Osler M, Hilderbrand K, Goemaere E, Ford N, Smith M, Meintjes G, et al. The continuing burden of advanced HIV disease over 10 years of increasing antiretroviral therapy coverage in South Africa. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66(S2):S118–125.
21. Ousley J, Niyibizi AA, Wanjala S, Vandenbulcke A, Kirubi B, Omwoyo W, et al. High proportions of patients with advanced HIV are antiretroviral therapy experienced: hospitalization outcomes from 2 sub-Saharan African sites. Clin Infect Dis. 2018;66(S2):S126–132.
22. Mfinanga S, Chanda D, Kivuyo SL, Guinness L, Bottomley C, Simms V, et al. Cryptococcal meningitis screening and community-based early adherence support in people with advanced HIV infection starting antiretroviral therapy in Tanzania and Zambia: an open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2015;385:2173–82. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60164-7 25765698
23. Unitaid. HIV/AIDS Diagnostics Landscape. Geneva, Switzerland. 2015.
24. World Health Organization. Updated recommendations on first-line and second-line antiretroviral regimens and post-exposure prophylaxis and recommendations on early infant diagnosis of HIV: interim guidelines. Supplement to the 2016 Consolidated Guidelines on the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs for Treating and Preventing HIV Infection. Geneva, Switzerland. 2018.