Color discrimination and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry fingerprint based on chemometrics analysis for the quality evaluation of Schizonepetae Spica
Xindan Liu aff001; Ying Zhang aff001; Menghua Wu aff001; Zhiguo Ma aff001; Hui Cao aff001
Působiště autorů: Research Center for Traditional Chinese Medicine of Lingnan, College of Pharmacy, Jinan University, Guangzhou, PR China aff001
Vyšlo v časopise: PLoS ONE 15(1)
Kategorie: Research Article
Schizonepetae Spica (SS), the dried spike of Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briq., is a traditional Chinese medicinal herb. According to the color of persistent calyx, SS is categorized into two classes: the yellowish-green-type and the brownish-type. Based on the chemometrics analysis of gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS), a novel model of identifying and evaluating the quality of SS in different colors was constructed for the first time in this work. 20 batches SS samples of different colors were collected and used to extract essential oils. The average essential oils yield of SS in yellowish-green color was significantly higher than that of SS in brownish color from the same origin (p<0.05). The GC-MS fingerprints of 20 batches SS samples whose correlation coefficients were over 0.964 demonstrated SS samples were consistent to some extent in spite of slightly different chemical indexes. A total of 39 common volatiles compounds were identified. Hierarchical clustering analysis (HCA), principal component analysis (PCA) and partial least-squares discriminate analysis (PLS-DA) were developed to distinguish SS samples characterized by different colors. Consistent results were obtained to show that SS samples could be successfully grouped according to their color. Finally, 4,5,6,7-tetrahydro-3,6-dimethyl-benzofuran and pulegone were detected as the key variables for discriminating SS samples of different colors and for quality control. The obtained results proved that SS of good quality were often yellowish-green and those of poor quality were often brownish.
Calyx – Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry – Hierarchical clustering – Chromatographic techniques – Oils – principal component analysis – Quality control – Traditional Chinese medicine
1. Zhao ZZ, Liang ZT, Guo P. Macroscopic identification of Chinese medicinal materials: traditional experiences and modern understanding. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;134(3):556–64. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2011.01.018 21251968
2. Shi DH, Long Y, Dai YM, Lu Q, Zhang J, Sun LL, et al. Scientific analysis of traditional identification experience of "redder is better" based on correlation between intrinsic quality and appearance color of Salviae miltiorrhizae radix et rhizoma. Chin J Exp Tradit Med Form. 2018;24(22):6–10.
3. Li ZL. Ben Cao Yuan Shi. Beijing: Xue Yuan Press; 2011.
4. State Commission of Chinese Pharmacopoeia. Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China 2015 edtion. Beijing: China Medical Science Press; 2015.
5. Fung D, Lau CBS. Schizonepeta tenuifolia: chemistry, pharmacology, and clinical applications. J Clin Pharmacol. 2002;42(1):30–6. doi: 10.1177/0091270002042001003 11817365
6. Su XJ. The best combination of medicine and food-Schizonepeta tenuifolia. Chin Wild Plant Resour. 2000;19(6):24–5.
7. Du CZ, Qin JP, Chen YP, Cai Y. GC-MS analysis of volatile oil components in Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briq. from various habitats. Hubei Agric Sci. 2014;53(1):188–90.
8. Hu J, Shi RB, Zhang YH. Content determination of luteolin and hesperidin in the effective fractions of Spica Schizonepeta by HPLC. Beijing Univ Tradit Chin Med. 2005;28(4):52–4.
9. Jiang YH, Jiang DQ, Wu KJ, Peng LL. Contents determination of ursolic acid and oleanolic acid in different parts of Jiangxi Herba Schizonepetae and carbonized Herba Schizonepetae. China J Tradit Chin Med Pharm. 2016;31(3):1068–70.
10. Shan MQ, Qian Y, Yu S, Guo SC, Zhang L, Ding AW, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of volatile oil from Schizonepeta tenuifolia on carrageenin-induced pleurisy in rats and its application to study of appropriate harvesting time coupled with multi-attribute comprehensive index method. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;194:580–6. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2016.10.045 27765609
11. Wang BS, Huang GJ, Tai HM, Huang MH. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of aqueous extracts of Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briq. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50(3–4):526–31. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2011.12.010 22198607
12. Yamahara J, Matsuda H, Watanabe H, Sawada T. Biologically active principles of crude drug, analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of "Keigai (Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briq.)". Yakugaku Zasshi. 1980;100:713–7. doi: 10.1248/yakushi1947.100.7_713 7205561
13. Fan JX, Wang S, Meng XS, Bao YR, Li TJ. Study of cancer cell apoptosis induced by Schizonepeta tenuifolia with microfluidic chip technology. Acta Pharm Sin. 2017;52(1):126–31.
14. Fan JX, Bao YR, Meng XS, Wang S, Li TJ. Study on relationship between efficacy against lung cancer and different parts of Schizonepeta tenuifolia based on microfluidic chip technology. China J Chin Mater Med. 2017;42(9):1717–21.
15. Chen SG, Cheng ML, Chen KH, Horng JT, Liu CC, Wang SM, et al. Antiviral activities of Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briq. against enterovirus 71 in vitro and in vivo. Sci Rep-Uk. 2017;7(935):1–15.
16. Ng YC, Kim YW, Lee JS, Lee SJ, Song MJ. Antiviral activity of Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briquet against noroviruses via induction of antiviral interferons. J Microbiol. 2018;56(9):683–9. doi: 10.1007/s12275-018-8228-7 30141161
17. State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Dictionary of Chinese Traditional Medicine. Shanghai: Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishers; 1999. p. 197.
18. Ye DJ, Yuan ST. Dictionary of Chinese Medicine Processing. Shanghai: Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishers; 2005. p. 411.
19. Ouyang Z, Yang L, Su SL, Feng X, Wang M. Fingerprint of volatile oil of Atractylodes lancea by GC-MS. Acta Pharm Sin. 2007;42(9):968–72.
20. Lv SD, Wu YS, Song YZ, Zhou JS, Lian M, Wang C, et al. Multivariate analysis based on GC-MS fingerprint and volatile composition for the quality evaluation of Pu-Erh green tea. Food Anal Method. 2015;8(2):321–33.
21. Liu QT, Kong DD, Luo JY, Kong WJ, Guo WY, Yang MH. Quantitative and fingerprinting analysis of Atractylodes rhizome based on gas chromatography with flame ionization detection combined with chemometrics. J Sep Sci. 2016;39(13):2517–26. doi: 10.1002/jssc.201501275 27133960
22. Chun MH, Kim EK, Lee KR, Jung JH, Hong J. Quality control of Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briq by solid-phase microextraction gas chromatography/mass spectrometry and principal component analysis. Microchem J. 2010;95(1):25–31.
23. Chun MH, Kim EK, Yu SM, Oh MS, Moon KY, Jung JH, et al. GC/MS combined with chemometrics methods for quality control of Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briq: determination of essential oils. Microchem J. 2011;97(2):274–81.
24. Wang JB, Zeng LN, Zang QC, Gong QF, Li BC, Zhang XR, et al. Colorimetric grading scale can promote the standardization of experiential and sensory evaluation in quality control of traditional Chinese medicines. Plos One. 2012;7(11):1–9.
25. Liu CC, Srividya N, Parrish AN, Yue W, Shan MQ, Wu QN, et al. Morphology of glandular trichomes of Japanese catnip (Schizonepeta tenuifolia Briquet) and developmental dynamics of their secretory activity. Phytochemistry. 2018;150:23–30. doi: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2018.02.018 29533838
26. Yu S, Chen YW, Zhang L, Shan MQ, Tang YP, Ding AW. Quantitative comparative analysis of the bio-active and toxic constituents of leaves and spikes of Schizonepeta tenuifolia at different harvesting times. Int J Mol Sci. 2011;12(10):6635–44. doi: 10.3390/ijms12106635 22072908
27. Duan SL, Zeng WX, Sun LL. Chemical constituents of volatile oils in drug pair of menthae Haplocalycis herba and Schizonepetae spica by GC-MS. Chin J Exp Tradit Med Form. 2015;21(11):50–4.
28. Hu YC, Kong WJ, Yang XH, Xie LW, Wen J, Yang MH. GC-MS combined with chemometric techniques for the quality control and original discrimination of Curcumae longae rhizome: Analysis of essential oils. J Sep Sci. 2014;37(4):404–11. doi: 10.1002/jssc.201301102 24311554
29. Zhang L, Shao X, Yu S, Bao BH, Ding AW. HSGC fingerprint of volatile oil in Schizonepetae Spica. Chin Tradit Herb Drugs. 2012;43(9):1767–9.
30. Wang Q, Wang LX, Wang XY, Wang YF. Chromatographic fingerprint for Schizonepeta tenuisfolia Briq. Chin Tradit Pat Med. 2007;29(7):941–5.
31. He T, Tang Q, Zeng N, Gong XP. Study on effect and mechanism of volatile oil of Schizonepetae Herba and its essential components against influenza virus. China J Chin Mater Med. 2013;38(11):1772–7.
32. Oliveira GLD, Machado KC, Machado KC, Da Silva APDCL, Feitosa CM, Almeida FRD. Non-clinical toxicity of beta-caryophyllene, a dietary cannabinoid: absence of adverse effects in female Swiss mice. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2018;92:338–46. doi: 10.1016/j.yrtph.2017.12.013 29258925
33. Wang Y, Zhang N. Review on the safety and fine processing technology of natural aromatic materials. Flavour Fragrance Cosmetics. 2016(4):53–8.
34. Liu YP, Luo JP, Feng YF, Guo XL, Cao H. DNA profiling of Pogostemon cablin chemotypes differing in essential oil composition. Acta Pharm Sin. 2002;37(4):304–8.
35. Chen Y, Wu YG, Xu Y, Zhang JF, Song XQ, Zhu GP, et al. Dynamic accumulation of sesquiterpenes in essential oil of Pogostemon cablin. Rev Bras Farmacogn. 2014;24(6):626–34.
36. Lassila T, Mattila S, Turpeinen M, Pelkonen O, Tolonen A. Tandem mass spectrometric analysis of S- and N-linked glutathione conjugates of pulegone and menthofuran and identification of P450 enzymes mediating their formation. Rapid Commun Mass Sp. 2016;30(7):917–26.
37. Bertea CM, Schalk M, Karp F, Maffei M, Croteau R. Demonstration that menthofuran synthase of mint (Mentha) is a cytochrome P450 monooxygenase: cloning, functional expression, and characterization of the responsible gene. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2001;390(2):279–86. doi: 10.1006/abbi.2001.2378 11396930
Článek vyšel v časopise
2020 Číslo 1
- Nový typ fixace umožňuje pravidelnou hygienu končetiny i pobyt ve vodě
- Metamizol jako analgetikum první volby: kdy, pro koho, jak a proč?
- Není statin jako statin aneb praktický přehled rozdílů jednotlivých molekul
- Pregabalin je účinné léčivo s příznivým bezpečnostním profilem pro pacienty s neuropatickou bolestí
- Nedostatek hořčíku se projevuje u stále více lidí