1. Tunc Ӧ, Were W, Maclennan C, Oladapo O, Bahl R, Daelmans B, et al. Quality of care for pregnant women and newborns—the WHO vision. BJOG. 2015.
2. WHO. WHO recommendation on respectful maternity care during labour and childbirth. 2018:1–11.
3. Alliance WR. Respectful maternity care: the universal rights of childbearing women 2011 [cited 2019 25 Nov]. Available from: https://www.whiteribbonalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Final_RMC_Charter.pdf
4. Moindi RO, Ngari MM, Nyambati VCS, Mbakaya C. Why mothers still deliver at home: Understanding factors associated with home deliveries and cultural practices in rural coastal Kenya, a cross-section study Global health. BMC Public Health. 2016.
5. Bohren MA, Vogel JP, Tunçalp Ö, Fawole B, Titiloye MA, Olutayo AO, et al. Mistreatment of women during childbirth in Abuja, Nigeria: A qualitative study on perceptions and experiences of women and healthcare providers Prof. Suellen Miller. Reproductive Health. 2017.
6. Kumbani L, Bjune G, Chirwa E, Malata A, Odland JØ. Why some women fail to give birth at health facilities: A qualitative study of women's perceptions of perinatal care from rural Southern Malawi. Reproductive Health. 2013.
7. Oyerinde K, Amara P, Harding Y. Barriers to Uptake of Emergency Obstetric and Newborn Care Services in Sierra Leone: A Qualitative Study. Journal of Community Medicine & Health Education. 2014.
8. World Health Organization, editor WHO statement: The prevention and elimination of disrespect and abuse during facility-based childbirth. WHO press; 2015.
9. Mohale H, Sweet L, Graham K. Maternity health care: The experiences of Sub-Saharan African women in Sub-Saharan Africa and Australia. Women and Birth. 2017.
10. Gebrehiwot T, Goicolea I, Edin K, Sebastian MS. Making pragmatic choices: Women's experiences of delivery care in Northern Ethiopia. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2012.
11. Gebremichael MW, Worku A, Medhanyie AA, Edin K, Berhane Y. Women suffer more from disrespectful and abusive care than from the labour pain itself: A qualitative study from Women's perspective. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2018.
12. Abuya T, Warren CE, Miller N, Njuki R, Ndwiga C, Maranga A, et al. Exploring the prevalence of disrespect and abuse during childbirth in Kenya. PLoS ONE. 2015.
13. Okafor II, Ugwu EO, Obi SN. Disrespect and abuse during facility-based childbirth in a low-income country2015.
14. Namasivayam A, Osuorah DC, Syed R, Antai D. The role of gender inequities in women's access to reproductive health care: A population-level study of Namibia, Kenya, Nepal, and India. International Journal of Women's Health. 2012.
15. Singh K, Bloom S, Haney E, Olorunsaiye C, Brodish P. Gender equality and childbirth in a health facility: Nigeria and MDG5. African journal of reproductive health. 2012.
16. Banda PC, Odimegwu CO, Ntoimo LFC, Muchiri E. Women at risk: Gender inequality and maternal health. Women and Health. 2017.
17. Mmari K, Blum RW, Atnafou R, Chilet E, de Meyer S, El-Gibaly O, et al. Exploration of Gender Norms and Socialization Among Early Adolescents: The Use of Qualitative Methods for the Global Early Adolescent Study. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2017.
18. Gichuhi E, Lusambili A. iMedPub Journals Efficacy of Free Maternity Health Policy at Machakos Level 5 County Hospital (Kenya): An Exploratory Qualitative Study Keywords Beneficial changes observed after introduction. 2019:4–7.
19. Gitobu CM, Gichangi PB, Mwanda WO. The effect of Kenya's free maternal health care policy on the utilization of health facility delivery services and maternal and neonatal mortality in public health facilities. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018;18(1):77. doi: 10.1186/s12884-018-1708-2 29580207
20. Population Council. Heshima: Promoting Dignified and Respectful Care During Childbirth 2019 [cited 2019 25 November]. Available from: https://www.popcouncil.org/research/heshima-promoting-dignified-and-respectful-care-during-childbirth.
21. Aga Khan University. Integrated Primary Health Care (IPHC) program baseline survey and surveillance pilot report. 2014.
22. Kilifi county. County Government of Kilifi: Kilifi County Department of Health [cited 2019 25 Nov]. Available from: http://webz-kenya.com/khco/background/.
23. Kilifi County, editor Kaloleni/Rabai Sub-counties/Kilifi County, Annual Workplan.
24. Kenya National Bureau of statistics. POPULATION AND HOUSING CENSUS HIGHLIGHTS. 2010.
25. Kisii county, editor County Integrated Development Plan 2013–20172013.
26. Odallo B, Opondo E, Onyango M. Litigating to ensure access to quality maternal health care for women and girls in Kenya. Reproductive Health Matters. 2018.