1. GoughSC (2000) The genetics of Graves' disease. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 29: 255–266.
2. SimmondsMJ, GoughSC (2004) Unravelling the genetic complexity of autoimmune thyroid disease: HLA, CTLA-4 and beyond. Clin Exp Immunol 136: 1–10.
3. TunbridgeWM, EveredDC, HallR, AppletonD, BrewisM, et al. (1977) The spectrum of thyroid disease in a community: the Whickham survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 7: 481–493.
4. BiondiB (2012) Mechanisms in endocrinology: Heart failure and thyroid dysfunction. Eur J Endocrinol 167: 609–618.
5. ColletTH, GusseklooJ, BauerDC, den ElzenWP, CappolaAR, et al. (2012) Subclinical hyperthyroidism and the risk of coronary heart disease and mortality. Arch Intern Med 172: 799–809.
6. DavisJD, TremontG (2007) Neuropsychiatric aspects of hypothyroidism and treatment reversibility. Minerva Endocrinol 32: 49–65.
7. GencerB, ColletTH, VirginiV, BauerDC, GusseklooJ, et al. (2012) Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the risk of heart failure events: an individual participant data analysis from 6 prospective cohorts. Circulation 126: 1040–1049.
8. NichollsJJ, BrassillMJ, WilliamsGR, BassettJH (2012) The skeletal consequences of thyrotoxicosis. J Endocrinol 213: 209–221.
9. RodondiN, den ElzenWP, BauerDC, CappolaAR, RazviS, et al. ((201)) Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of coronary heart disease and mortality. Jama 304: 1365–1374.
10. RuhlaS, WeickertMO, ArafatAM, OsterhoffM, IskenF, et al. (2010) A high normal TSH is associated with the metabolic syndrome. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 72: 696–701.
11. SelmerC, OlesenJB, HansenML, LindhardsenJ, OlsenAM, et al. (2012) The spectrum of thyroid disease and risk of new onset atrial fibrillation: a large population cohort study. Bmj 345: e7895.
12. PearceEN, FarwellAP, BravermanLE (2003) Thyroiditis. N Engl J Med 348: 2646–2655.
13. SchweizerU, ChiuJ, KohrleJ (2008) Peroxides and peroxide-degrading enzymes in the thyroid. Antioxid Redox Signal 10: 1577–1592.
14. BrixTH, HegedusL, GardasA, BangaJP, NielsenCH (2011) Monozygotic twin pairs discordant for Hashimoto's thyroiditis share a high proportion of thyroid peroxidase autoantibodies to the immunodominant region A. Further evidence for genetic transmission of epitopic “fingerprints”. Autoimmunity 44: 188–194.
15. HuberG, StaubJJ, MeierC, MitracheC, GuglielmettiM, et al. (2002) Prospective study of the spontaneous course of subclinical hypothyroidism: prognostic value of thyrotropin, thyroid reserve, and thyroid antibodies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 3221–3226.
16. NielsenCH, BrixTH, LeslieRG, HegedusL (2009) A role for autoantibodies in enhancement of pro-inflammatory cytokine responses to a self-antigen, thyroid peroxidase. Clin Immunol 133: 218–227.
17. StriederTG, PrummelMF, TijssenJG, EndertE, WiersingaWM (2003) Risk factors for and prevalence of thyroid disorders in a cross-sectional study among healthy female relatives of patients with autoimmune thyroid disease. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 59: 396–401.
18. StriederTG, TijssenJG, WenzelBE, EndertE, WiersingaWM (2008) Prediction of progression to overt hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism in female relatives of patients with autoimmune thyroid disease using the Thyroid Events Amsterdam (THEA) score. Arch Intern Med 168: 1657–1663.
19. WeetmanAP (2000) Graves' disease. N Engl J Med 343: 1236–1248.
20. BrixTH, HegedusL (2011) Twins as a tool for evaluating the influence of genetic susceptibility in thyroid autoimmunity. Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 72: 103–107.
21. TomerY, DaviesTF (2003) Searching for the autoimmune thyroid disease susceptibility genes: from gene mapping to gene function. Endocr Rev 24: 694–717.
22. KordonouriO, DeissD, DanneT, DorowA, BassirC, et al. (2002) Predictivity of thyroid autoantibodies for the development of thyroid disorders in children and adolescents with Type 1 diabetes. Diabet Med 19: 518–521.
23. MediciM, de RijkeYB, PeetersRP, VisserW, de Muinck Keizer-SchramaSM, et al. (2012) Maternal early pregnancy and newborn thyroid hormone parameters: the Generation R study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97: 646–652.
24. NegroR, MestmanJH (2011) Thyroid disease in pregnancy. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 25: 927–943.
25. PoppeK, VelkeniersB, GlinoerD (2008) The role of thyroid autoimmunity in fertility and pregnancy. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 4: 394–405.
26. VanderpumpMP, TunbridgeWM, FrenchJM, AppletonD, BatesD, et al. (1995) The incidence of thyroid disorders in the community: a twenty-year follow-up of the Whickham Survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 43: 55–68.
27. HollowellJG, StaehlingNW, FlandersWD, HannonWH, GunterEW, et al. (2002) Serum TSH, T(4), and thyroid antibodies in the United States population (1988 to 1994): National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 489–499.
28. WeetmanAP (2011) Diseases associated with thyroid autoimmunity: explanations for the expanding spectrum. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 74: 411–418.
29. HansenPS, BrixTH, IachineI, KyvikKO, HegedusL (2006) The relative importance of genetic and environmental effects for the early stages of thyroid autoimmunity: a study of healthy Danish twins. Eur J Endocrinol 154: 29–38.
30. LinnikMD, HuJZ, HeilbrunnKR, StrandV, HurleyFL, et al. (2005) Relationship between anti-double-stranded DNA antibodies and exacerbation of renal disease in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 52: 1129–1137.
31. NielsenSF, BojesenSE, SchnohrP, NordestgaardBG (2012) Elevated rheumatoid factor and long term risk of rheumatoid arthritis: a prospective cohort study. Bmj 345: e5244.
32. RaychaudhuriS, PlengeRM, RossinEJ, NgAC, PurcellSM, et al. (2009) Identifying relationships among genomic disease regions: predicting genes at pathogenic SNP associations and rare deletions. PLoS Genet 5: e1000534.
33. RufJ, CarayonP (2006) Structural and functional aspects of thyroid peroxidase. Arch Biochem Biophys 445: 269–277.
34. BakkerB, BikkerH, VulsmaT, de RandamieJS, WiedijkBM, et al. (2000) Two decades of screening for congenital hypothyroidism in The Netherlands: TPO gene mutations in total iodide organification defects (an update). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 3708–3712.
35. BikkerH, BaasF, De VijlderJJ (1997) Molecular analysis of mutated thyroid peroxidase detected in patients with total iodide organification defects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82: 649–653.
36. DennyJC, CrawfordDC, RitchieMD, BielinskiSJ, BasfordMA, et al. (2011) Variants near FOXE1 are associated with hypothyroidism and other thyroid conditions: using electronic medical records for genome- and phenome-wide studies. Am J Hum Genet 89: 529–542.
37. ErikssonN, TungJY, KieferAK, HindsDA, FranckeU, et al. (2012) Novel associations for hypothyroidism include known autoimmune risk loci. PLoS One 7: e34442.
38. OrtizL, Aza-BlancP, ZanniniM, CatoAC, SantistebanP (1999) The interaction between the forkhead thyroid transcription factor TTF-2 and the constitutive factor CTF/NF-1 is required for efficient hormonal regulation of the thyroperoxidase gene transcription. J Biol Chem 274: 15213–15221.
39. SimmondsMJ (2013) GWAS in autoimmune thyroid disease: redefining our understanding of pathogenesis. Nat Rev Endocrinol 9: 277–287.
40. FaamB, DaneshpourMS, AziziF, SalehiM, HedayatiM (2012) Association between TPO gene polymorphisms and Anti-TPO level in Tehranian population: TLGS. Gene 498: 116–119.
41. GudmundssonJ, SulemP, GudbjartssonDF, JonassonJG, MassonG, et al. (2012) Discovery of common variants associated with low TSH levels and thyroid cancer risk. Nat Genet 44: 319–322.
42. PorcuE, MediciM, PistisG, VolpatoCB, WilsonSG, et al. (2013) A meta-analysis of thyroid-related traits reveals novel loci and gender-specific differences in the regulation of thyroid function. PLoS Genet 9: e1003266.
43. WuY, DowbenkoD, SpencerS, LauraR, LeeJ, et al. (2000) Interaction of the tumor suppressor PTEN/MMAC with a PDZ domain of MAGI3, a novel membrane-associated guanylate kinase. J Biol Chem 275: 21477–21485.
44. BossowskiA, CzarnockaB, BardadinK, Stasiak-BarmutaA, UrbanM, et al. (2008) Identification of apoptotic proteins in thyroid gland from patients with Graves' disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Autoimmunity 41: 163–173.
45. WangSH, BakerJR (2007) The role of apoptosis in thyroid autoimmunity. Thyroid 17: 975–979.
46. BarrettJC, ClaytonDG, ConcannonP, AkolkarB, CooperJD, et al. (2009) Genome-wide association study and meta-analysis find that over 40 loci affect risk of type 1 diabetes. Nat Genet 41: 703–707.
47. OrruV, TsaiSJ, RuedaB, FiorilloE, StanfordSM, et al. (2009) A loss-of-function variant of PTPN22 is associated with reduced risk of systemic lupus erythematosus. Hum Mol Genet 18: 569–579.
48. RaychaudhuriS, RemmersEF, LeeAT, HackettR, GuiducciC, et al. (2008) Common variants at CD40 and other loci confer risk of rheumatoid arthritis. Nat Genet 40: 1216–1223.
49. VelagaMR, WilsonV, JenningsCE, OwenCJ, HeringtonS, et al. (2004) The codon 620 tryptophan allele of the lymphoid tyrosine phosphatase (LYP) gene is a major determinant of Graves' disease. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 5862–5865.
50. SteerS, AbkevichV, GutinA, CordellHJ, GendallKL, et al. (2007) Genomic DNA pooling for whole-genome association scans in complex disease: empirical demonstration of efficacy in rheumatoid arthritis. Genes Immun 8: 57–68.
51. DuboisPC, TrynkaG, FrankeL, HuntKA, RomanosJ, et al. (2010) Multiple common variants for celiac disease influencing immune gene expression. Nat Genet 42: 295–302.
52. FrankeA, McGovernDP, BarrettJC, WangK, Radford-SmithGL, et al. (2010) Genome-wide meta-analysis increases to 71 the number of confirmed Crohn's disease susceptibility loci. Nat Genet 42: 1118–1125.
53. JinY, BirleaSA, FainPR, FerraraTM, BenS, et al. (2012) Genome-wide association analyses identify 13 new susceptibility loci for generalized vitiligo. Nat Genet 44: 676–680.
54. SawcerS, HellenthalG, PirinenM, SpencerCC, PatsopoulosNA, et al. (2011) Genetic risk and a primary role for cell-mediated immune mechanisms in multiple sclerosis. Nature 476: 214–219.
55. CooperJD, SimmondsMJ, WalkerNM, BurrenO, BrandOJ, et al. (2012) Seven newly identified loci for autoimmune thyroid disease. Hum Mol Genet 21: 5202–5208.
56. MutoA, HoshinoH, MadisenL, YanaiN, ObinataM, et al. (1998) Identification of Bach2 as a B-cell-specific partner for small maf proteins that negatively regulate the immunoglobulin heavy chain gene 3' enhancer. Embo J 17: 5734–5743.
57. HouldenH, SingletonAB (2012) The genetics and neuropathology of Parkinson's disease. Acta Neuropathol 124: 325–338.
58. LiuX, LuM, TangL, ZhangN, ChuiD, et al. (2013) ATXN2 CAG repeat expansions increase the risk for Chinese patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurobiol Aging 34: 2236.e5–8.
59. MaganaJJ, Velazquez-PerezL, CisnerosB (2013) Spinocerebellar ataxia type 2: clinical presentation, molecular mechanisms, and therapeutic perspectives. Mol Neurobiol 47: 90–104.
60. BonuccelliU, NutiA, MonzaniF, De NegriF, MuratorioA (1991) Familial occurrence of hypothyroidism and cerebellar ataxia. Funct Neurol 6: 171–175.
61. TandeterH, LevyA, GutmanG, ShvartzmanP (2001) Subclinical thyroid disease in patients with Parkinson's disease. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 33: 295–300.
62. KottgenA, AlbrechtE, TeumerA, VitartV, KrumsiekJ, et al. (2013) Genome-wide association analyses identify 18 new loci associated with serum urate concentrations. Nat Genet 45: 145–154.
63. KottgenA, PattaroC, BogerCA, FuchsbergerC, OldenM, et al. (2010) New loci associated with kidney function and chronic kidney disease. Nat Genet 42: 376–384.
64. WainLV, VerwoertGC, O'ReillyPF, ShiG, JohnsonT, et al. (2011) Genome-wide association study identifies six new loci influencing pulse pressure and mean arterial pressure. Nat Genet 43: 1005–1011.
65. StahlEA, RaychaudhuriS, RemmersEF, XieG, EyreS, et al. (2010) Genome-wide association study meta-analysis identifies seven new rheumatoid arthritis risk loci. Nat Genet 42: 508–514.
66. PlagnolV, HowsonJM, SmythDJ, WalkerN, HaflerJP, et al. (2011) Genome-wide association analysis of autoantibody positivity in type 1 diabetes cases. PLoS Genet 7: e1002216.
67. GiegerC, RadhakrishnanA, CvejicA, TangW, PorcuE, et al. (2011) New gene functions in megakaryopoiesis and platelet formation. Nature 480: 201–208.
68. KnausUG (2000) Rho GTPase signaling in inflammation and transformation. Immunol Res 21: 103–109.
69. GramagliaI, WeinbergAD, LemonM, CroftM (1998) Ox-40 ligand: a potent costimulatory molecule for sustaining primary CD4 T cell responses. J Immunol 161: 6510–6517.
70. ThangaratinamS, TanA, KnoxE, KilbyMD, FranklynJ, et al. (2011) Association between thyroid autoantibodies and miscarriage and preterm birth: meta-analysis of evidence. Bmj 342: d2616.
71. WillerCJ, LiY, AbecasisGR (2010) METAL: fast and efficient meta-analysis of genomewide association scans. Bioinformatics 26: 2190–2191.
72. MilaniG, MasciulloC, SalaC, BellazziR, BuettiI, et al. (2011) Computer-based genealogy reconstruction in founder populations. J Biomed Inform 44: 997–1003.
73. PiliaG, ChenWM, ScuteriA, OrruM, AlbaiG, et al. (2006) Heritability of cardiovascular and personality traits in 6,148 Sardinians. PLoS Genet 2: e132.