1. EdgarBA, ZielkeN, GutierrezC (2014) Endocycles: a recurrent evolutionary innovation for post-mitotic cell growth. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 15: 197–210.
2. HannibalRL, ChuongEB, Rivera-MuliaJC, GilbertDM, ValouevA, et al. (2014) Copy number variation is a fundamental aspect of the placental genome. PLoS Genet 10: e1004290 doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1004290
3. HuD, CrossJC (2010) Development and function of trophoblast giant cells in the rodent placenta. Int J Dev Biol 54: 341–354.
4. RaiA, CrossJC (2014) Development of the hemochorial maternal vascular spaces in the placenta through endothelial and vasculogenic mimicry. Dev Biol 387: 131–141.
5. GasperowiczM, Surmann-SchmittC, HamadaY, OttoF, CrossJC (2013) The transcriptional co-repressor TLE3 regulates development of trophoblast giant cells lining maternal blood spaces in the mouse placenta. Dev Biol 382: 1–14.
6. SimmonsDG, FortierAL, CrossJC (2007) Diverse subtypes and developmental origins of trophoblast giant cells in the mouse placenta. Dev Biol 304: 567–578.
7. PanditSK, WestendorpB, de BruinA (2013) Physiological significance of polyploidization in mammalian cells. Trends Cell Biol 23: 556–566.
8. FoxDT, DuronioRJ (2013) Endoreplication and polyploidy: insights into development and disease. Development 140: 3–12.
9. PanditSK, WestendorpB, NantasantiS, van LiereE, TootenPC, et al. (2012) E2F8 is essential for polyploidization in mammalian cells. Nat Cell Biol 14: 1181–1191.
10. OusephMM, LiJ, ChenHZ, PecotT, WenzelP, et al. (2012) Atypical E2F repressors and activators coordinate placental development. Dev Cell 22: 849–862.
11. ChenHZ, OusephMM, LiJ, PecotT, ChokshiV, et al. (2012) Canonical and atypical E2Fs regulate the mammalian endocycle. Nat Cell Biol 14: 1192–1202.
12. MacAuleyA, CrossJC, WerbZ (1998) Reprogramming the cell cycle for endoreduplication in rodent trophoblast cells. Mol Biol Cell 9: 795–807.
13. ZybinaTG, ZybinaEV, ShteinGI (1985) DNA content of the nuclei of secondary giant cells of the rat trophoblast at different phases of the polytene nucleus cycle. Tsitologiia 27: 957–960.
14. ZybinaEV, ZybinaTG (1996) Polytene chromosomes in mammalian cells. Int Rev Cytol 165: 53–119.
15. VarmuzaS, PrideauxV, KotharyR, RossantJ (1988) Polytene chromosomes in mouse trophoblast giant cells. Development 102: 127–134.
16. BowerDJ (1987) Chromosome organisation in polyploid mouse trophoblast nuclei. Chromosoma 95: 76–80.
17. KeighrenM, WestJD (1993) Analysis of cell ploidy in histological sections of mouse tissues by DNA-DNA in situ hybridization with digoxigenin-labelled probes. Histochem J 25: 30–44.
18. OhganeJ, AikawaJ, OguraA, HattoriN, OgawaT, et al. (1998) Analysis of CpG islands of trophoblast giant cells by restriction landmark genomic scanning. Dev Genet 22: 132–140.
19. SherN, Von StetinaJR, BellGW, MatsuuraS, RavidK, et al. (2013) Fundamental differences in endoreplication in mammals and Drosophila revealed by analysis of endocycling and endomitotic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110: 9368–9373.
20. HattoriN, DaviesTC, Anson-CartwrightL, CrossJC (2000) Periodic expression of the Cdk inhibitor p57Kip2 in trophoblast giant cells defines a G2-like gap phase of the endocycle. Mol Biol Cell 11: 1037–1045.
21. ParastMM, AederS, SutherlandAE (2001) Trophoblast giant-cell differentiation involves changes in cytoskeleton and cell motility. Dev Biol 230: 43–60.
22. WatsonED, HughesM, SimmonsDG, NataleDR, SutherlandAE, et al. (2011) Cell-cell adhesion defects in Mrj mutant trophoblast cells are associated with failure to pattern the chorion during early placental development. Dev Dyn 240: 2505–2519.
23. El-HashashAH, KimberSJ (2006) PTHrP induces changes in cell cytoskeleton and E-cadherin and regulates Eph/Ephrin kinases and RhoGTPases in murine secondary trophoblast cells. Dev Biol 290: 13–31.
24. LiaoWX, LaurentLC, AgentS, HodgesJ, ChenDB (2012) Human placental expression of SLIT/ROBO signaling cues: effects of preeclampsia and hypoxia. Biol Reprod 86: 111.