1. Via MA, Gallagher EJ, Mechanick JI. Bone physiology and therapeutics in chronic critical illness. Ann N Y Acad Sci [Internet]. 2010 Nov [cited 2017 Jan 28];1211(1):85–94.
2. Lee P, Nair P, Eisman JA, Center JR. Bone Failure in Critical Illness. Crit Care Med [Internet]. 2016 Dec [cited 2017 Jan 29];44(12):2270–4.
3. Owen HC, Vanhees I, Solie L, Roberts SJ, Wauters A, Luyten FP, et al. Critical illness-related bone loss is associated with osteoclastic and angiogenic abnormalities. J Bone Miner Res [Internet]. 2012 Jul [cited 2017 Jan 28];27(7):1541–52.
4. Orford NR, Lane SE, Bailey M, Pasco JA, Cattigan C, Elderkin T, et al. Changes in Bone Mineral Density in the Year after Critical Illness. Am J Respir Crit Care Med [Internet]. 2016 Apr 1 [cited 2017 Jan 28];193(7):736–44.
5. Lee P, Ng C, Slattery A, Nair P, Eisman JA, Center JR. Preadmission Bisphosphonate and Mortality in Critically Ill Patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab [Internet]. 2016 May [cited 2017 Jan 28];101(5):1945–53.
6. Schulman RC, Moshier EL, Rho L, Casey MF, Godbold JH, Zaidi M, et al. Intravenous pamidronate is associated with reduced mortality in patients with chronic critical illness. Endocr Pract [Internet]. 2016 Jul [cited 2017 Jan 28];22(7):799–808.
7. Via MA, Potenza M V, Hollander J, Liu X, Peng Y, Li J, et al. Intravenous ibandronate acutely reduces bone hyperresorption in chronic critical illness. J Intensive Care Med [Internet]. 2012 Sep [cited 2017 Jan 28];27(5):312–8.
8. Amrein K, Schnedl C, Holl A, Riedl R, Christopher KB, Pachler C, et al. Effect of high-dose vitamin D3 on hospital length of stay in critically ill patients with vitamin D deficiency: the VITdAL-ICU randomized clinical trial. JAMA [Internet]. 2014 Oct 15 [cited 2017 Jan 29];312(15):1520–30.