1. Geerts WH, Pineo GF, Heit JA et al. Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism. Chest 2004; 126: 338S–400S.
2. Schindler OS, Dalziel R. Post‑thrombotic syndrome after total hip or knee arthroplasty: incidence in patients with asymptomatic deep venous thrombosis. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 2005; 13: 113–119.
3. Abelseth G, Buckley RE, Pineo GE et al. Incidence of deep-vein thrombosis in patients with fractures of the lower extremity distal to the hip. J Orthop Trauma 1996; 10: 230–235.
4. Lassen MR, Borris LC, Nakov RL. Use of the low-molecular-weight heparin reviparin to prevent deep-vein thrombosis after leg injury requiring immobilization. N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 726–730.
5. Testroote M, Stigter W, de Visser DC et al. Low molecular weight heparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism in patients with lower-leg immobilization. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008; 4: CD006681.
6. Geerts WH, Bergqvist D, Pineo GF et al.Prevention of venous thromboembolism:American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines (8th ed). American College of Chest Physicians. Chest 2008; 133 (6 Suppl): 381S–453S.
7. Demers C, Marcoux S, Ginsberg JS et al. Incidence of venographically proved deep vein thrombosis after knee arthroscopy. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 47–50.
8. Delis KT, Hunt N, Strachan RK et al. Incidence, natural history and risk factors of deep vein thrombosis in elective knee arthroscopy. Thromb Haemost 2001; 86: 817–821.
9. Pulmonary Embolism Prevention (PEP) Trial Collaborative Group. Prevention of pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis with low dose aspirin: Pulmonary Embolism Prevention (PEP) Trial. Lancet 2000; 355: 1295–1302.
10. Collins R, Scrimgeour A, Yusuf S et al. Reduction in fatal pulmonary embolism and venous thrombosis by perioperative administration of subcutaneous heparin: overview of results of randomized trials in general, orthopedic, and urologic surgery. N Engl J Med 1988; 318: 1162–1173.
11. Planes A, Vochelle N, Mazas F et al. Prevention of postoperative venous thrombosis: a randomized trial comparing unfractionated heparin with low molecular weight heparin in patients undergoing total hip replacement. Thromb Haemost 1988; 60: 407–410.
12. Freedman KB, Brookenthal KR, Fitzgerald RH et al. A meta‑analysis of thromboembolic prophylaxis following elective total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2000; 82: 929–938.
13. Kakkar VV, Howes J, Sharma V et al. A comparative, double-blind, randomised trial of a new second generation LMWH (bemiparin) and UFH in the prevention of post‑operative venous thromboembolism. Thromb Haemost 2000; 83: 523–529.
14. Eriksson BI, Ekman S, Lindbratt S et al. Prevention of thromboembolism with use of recombinant hirudin: results of a double-blind, multicenter trial comparing the efficacy of desirudin (Revasc) with that of unfractionated heparin in patients having a total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1997; 79: 326–333.
15. Amstutz HC, Friscia DA, Dorey F et al. Warfarin prophylaxis to prevent mortality from pulmonary embolism after total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1989; 71: 321–326.
16. Lieberman JR, Wollaeger J, Dorey F et al. The efficacy of prophylaxis with low‑dose warfarin for prevention of pulmonary embolism following total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1997; 79: 319–325.
17. Paiement GD, Wessinger SJ, Hughes R et al. Routine use of adjusted low‑dose warfarin to prevent venous thromboembolism after total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1993; 75: 893–898.
18. Colwell CW, Spiro TE, TrowbridgeAA et al. Use of enoxaparin, a low-molecular-weight heparin, and unfractionated heparin for the prevention of deep venous thrombosis after elective hip replacement: a clinical trial comparing efficacy and safety. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1994; 76: 3–14.
19. Koch A, Ziegler S, Breitschwerdt H et al. Low molecular weight heparin and unfractionated heparin in thrombosis prophylaxis: meta‑analysis based on original patient data. Thromb Res 2001; 102: 295–309.
20. Haas S, Breyer HG, Bacher HP et al. Prevention of major venous thromboembolism following total hip or knee replacement: a randomized comparison of low-molecular-weight heparin with unfractionated heparin (ECHOS Trial). Int Angiol 2006; 25: 335–342.
21. Abad JI, Gómez-Outes A, Martínez--González J. A prospective observational study on the effectiveness and safety of bemiparin, first dose administered 6 h after knee or hip replacement surgery. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2007; 127: 665–670.
22. RD Heparin Arthroplasty Group: RD heparin compared with warfarin for prevention of venous thromboembolic disease following total hip or knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1994; 76: 1174–1185.
23. Hull R, Raskob GE, Pineo G et al. A comparison of subcutaneous low--molecular-weight heparin with warfarin sodium for prophylaxis against deep-vein thrombosis after hip or knee implantation. N Engl J Med 1993; 329: 1370–1376.
24. Francis CW, Pellegrini VD, Totterman S et al. Prevention of deep-vein thrombosis after total hip arthroplasty: comparison of warfarin and dalteparin. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1997; 79: 1365–1372.
25. Lassen MR, Bauer KA, Eriksson BI et al. Postoperative fondaparinux versus preoperative enoxaparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism in elective hip-replacement surgery: a randomised double-blind comparison. Lancet 2002; 359: 1715–1720.
26. Turpie AGG, Bauer KA, Eriksson BI et al. Postoperative fondaparinux versus postoperative enoxaparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism after elective hip-replacement surgery: a randomised double-blind trial. Lancet 2002; 359: 1721–1726.
27. Eriksson BI, Dahl OE, Rosencher N et al. Dabigatran etexilate versus enoxaparin for prevention of venous thromboembolism after total hip replacement: a randomised, double-blind, non‑inferiority trial. Lancet 2007; 370: 949–956.
28. Eriksson BI, Borris LC, Friedman RJ et al. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after hip arthroplasty. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2765–2775.
29. Eriksson BI, Turpie AG, Lassen MR et al. A dose escalation study of YM150, an oral direct factor Xa inhibitor, in the prevention of venous thromboembolism in elective primary hip replacement surgery. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 1660–1665.
30. Lassen MR, Dahl O, Mismetti P et al. SR123781A: a new once-daily synthetic oligosaccharide anticoagulant for thromboprophylaxis after total hip replacement surgery: the DRIVE (Dose Ranging Study in Elective Total Hip Replacement Surgery) study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 1498–1504.
31. White RH, Romano PS, Zhou H et al. Incidence and time course of thromboembolic outcomes following total hip or knee arthroplasty. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 1525–1531.
32. Eriksson, BI, Lassen, MR. PENTasaccharide in HIp-FRActure Surgery Plus (PENTHIFRA Plus) Invetigators. Duration of prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism with fondaparinux after hip fracture surgery: a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Arch Intern Med 2003; 163: 1337–1342.
33. Dahl OE, Andreassen G, Aspelin T et al. Prolonged thromboprophylaxis following hip replacement surgery: results of a double-blind, prospective, randomised, placebo-controlled study with dalteparin (Fragmin). Thromb Haemost 1997; 77: 26–31.
34. Planes A, Vochelle N, Darmon JY et al. Risk of deep-venous thrombosis after hospital discharge in patients having undergone total hip replacement: double-blind randomised comparison of enoxaparin versus placebo. Lancet 1996; 348: 224–228.
35. Comp PC, Spiro TE, Friedman RJ et al. Prolonged enoxaparin therapy to prevent venous thromboembolism after primary hip or knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001; 83: 336–345.
36. Prandoni P, Bruchi O, Sabbion P, et al. Prolonged thromboprophylaxis with oral anticoagulants after total hip arthroplasty: a prospective controlled randomized study. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162; 1966–1971.
37. Westrich GH, Sculco TP. Prophylaxis against deep venous thrombosis after total knee arthroplasty: pneumatic planter compression and aspirin compared with aspirin alone. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1996; 78: 826–834.
38. Haas SB, Insall JN, Scuderi GR et al. Pneumatic sequential-compression boots compared with aspirin prophylaxis of deep-vein thrombosis after total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1990; 72: 27–31.
39. Colwell CW, Spiro TE, Trowbridge AA et al. Efficacy and safety of enoxaparin versus unfractionated heparin for prevention of deep venous thrombosis after elective knee arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 1995; 321: 19–27.
40. Kaempffe FA, Lifeso RM, Meinking C. Intermittent pneumatic compression versus Coumadin: prevention of deep vein thrombosis in low-extremity total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop 1991; 269: 89–97.
41. Lieberman JR, Sung R, Dorey F et al. Low‑dose warfarin prophylaxis to prevent symptomatic pulmonary embolism after total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 1997; 12: 180–184.
42. Robinson KS, Anderson DR, Gross M et al. Ultrasonographic screening before hospital discharge for deep venous thrombosis after arthroplasty: the Post‑Arthroplasty Screening Study; a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1997; 127: 439–445.
43. Ginsberg JS, Turkstra F, Buller HR et al. Postthrombotic syndrome after hip or knee arthroplasty: a cross-sectional study. Arch Intern Med 2000; 160: 669–672.
44. Leclerc JR, Geerts WH, Desjardins L et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism after knee arthroplasty: a randomized, double-blind trial comparing enoxaparin with warfarin. Ann Intern Med 1996; 124: 619–626.
45. Brookenthal KR, Freedman KB, Lotke PA et al. A meta‑analysis of thromboembolic prophylaxis in total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 2001; 16: 293–300.
46. Bauer KA, Eriksson BI, Lassen MR et al. Fondaparinux compared with enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after elective major knee surgery. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1305–1310.
47. Turpie AGG, Bauer KA, Eriksson BI et al. Fondaparinux vs enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism in major orthopedic surgery: a meta‑analysis of 4 randomized double-blind studies. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162: 1833–1840.
48. Eriksson BI, Dahl OE, Rosencher N et al. Oral dabigatran etexilate vs. subcutaneous enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after total knee replacement: the RE-MODEL randomized trial. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 2178–2185.
49. Lassen MR, Ageno W, Borris LC et al. Rivaroxaban versus enoxaparin for thromboprophylaxis after total knee arthroplasty. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2776–2786.
50. Lassen MR, Davidson BL, Gallus A et al. The efficacy and safety of apixaban, an oral, direct factor Xa inhibitor, as thromboprophylaxis in patients following total knee replacement. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 2368–2375.
51. Eikelboom JW, Quinlan DJ, Douketis JD. Extended-duration prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism after total hip or knee replacement: a meta‑analysis of the randomised trials. Lancet 2001; 358: 9–15.
52. Fisher CG, Blachut PA, Salvian AJ et al. Effectiveness of leg compression devices for the prevention of thromboembolic disease in orthopaedic trauma patients: a prospective, randomized study of compression alone versus no prophylaxis. J Orthop Trauma 1995; 9: 1–7.
53. Eriksson, BI, Bauer, KA, Lassen, MR et al. Fondaparinux compared with enoxaparin for the prevention of venous thromboembolism after hip-fracture surgery. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1298–1304.
54. Powers PJ, Gent M, Jay RM et al. A randomized trial of less intense postoperative warfarin or aspirin therapy in the prevention of venous thromboembolism after surgery for fractured hip. Arch Intern Med 1989; 149: 771–774.
55. Small NC. Complications in arthroscopic surgery performed by experienced arthroscopists. Arthroscopy 1988; 4: 215–221.
56. Schippinger G, Wirnsberger GH, Obernosterer A et al. Thromboembolic complications after arthroscopic knee surgery: incidence and risk factors in 101 patients. Acta Orthop Scand 1998; 69: 144–146.
57. Wirth T, Schneider B, Misselwitz F et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism after knee arthroscopy with low-molecular weight heparin (reviparin): results of a randomized controlled trial. Arthroscopy 2001; 17: 393–399.
58. Michot M, Conen D, Holtz D et al. Prevention of deep-vein thrombosis in ambulatory arthroscopic knee surgery: a randomized trial of prophylaxis with low-molecular weight heparin. Arthroscopy 2002; 18: 257–263.
59. Camporese G, Bernardi E, Prandoni P et al. Low-molecular-weight heparin versus compression stockings for thromboprophylaxis after knee arthroscopy: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2008; 149: 73–82.
60. Marlovits S, Striessnig G, Schuster R et al. Extended-duration thromboprophylaxis with enoxaparin after arthroscopic surgery of the anterior cruciate ligament: a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Arthroscopy 2007; 23: 696–702.
61. Kujath P, Spannagel U, Habscheid W. Incidence and prophylaxis of deep venous thrombosis in outpatients with injury of the lower limb. Haemostasis 1993; 23 (Suppl): 20–26.
62. Kock HJ, Schmit-Neuerburg KP, Hanke J et al. Thromboprophylaxis with low-molecular-weight heparin in outpatients with plaster-cast immobilisation of the leg. Lancet 1995; 346: 459–461.
63. Jorgensen PS, Warming T, Hansen K et al. Low molecular weight heparin (Innohep) as thromboprophylaxis in outpatients with a plaster cast: a venografic controlled study. Thromb Res 2002; 105: 477–480.
64. Ettema HB, Kollen BJ, Verheyen CC et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism in patients with immobilization of the lower extremities: a meta‑analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1093–1098.
65. Bergqvist D, Lowe G. Venous thromboembolism in patients undergoing laparoscopic and arthroscopic surgery and in leg casts. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162: 2173–2176.
66. Geerts WH, Code KI, Jay RM et al. A prospective study of venous thromboembolism after major trauma. N Engl J Med 1994; 331: 1601–1606.
67. Nathens AB, McMurray MK, Cuschieri J et al. The practice of venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in the major trauma patient. J Trauma 2007; 62: 557–562.
68. Geerts WH, Code KI, Jay RM et al. A prospective study of venous thromboembolism after major trauma. N Engl J Med 1994; 331: 1601–1606.
69. Kurtoglu M, Yanar H, Bilsel Y et al. Venous thromboembolism prophylaxis after head and spinal trauma: intermittent pneumatic compression devices versus low molecular weight heparin. World J Surg 2004; 28: 807–811.
70. Stannard JP, Lopez-Ben RR, Volgas DA et al. Prophylaxis against deep-vein thrombosis following trauma: a prospective, randomized comparison of mechanical and pharmacologic prophylaxis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006; 88: 261–266.