1. Geriatric Assessment Methods for Clinical Decision making. NIH Consens Statement 1987 Oct 19–21; 6(13): 1–21. http://consensus.nih.gov/1987/1987geriatricassessment065html.htm
2. United Nations – World Population Ageing 1950–2050 – Changing Balance between Age Group. http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/worldageing19502050/pdf/81chapteriii.pdf
3. Warren CS et al. Demoghaphy. Remeasuring aging. Science 2010; 329: 1287–1288. http://www.sciencemag.org/content/329/5997/1287.summary
4. United Nations – World Population Ageing 1950–2050 – Conclusions: http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/worldageing19502050/pdf/92chaptervi.pdf
5. National Hospital discharge Survey: 2007 Summary: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr029.pdf
6. Creditor MC: Hazards of hospitalization of the elderly. Ann Intern Med 1993; 118: 219–223.
7. Palleschi L et al.: Functional recovery of elderly patients hospitalized in geriatric and general medicine units. The PROgetto DImissioni in GEriatria study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59: 193–199.
8. Rubenstein LZ et al.: Effectiveness of a geriatric evaluation unit. A randomized clinical trial. N Engl J Med 1984; 311: 1664–1670.
9. Landefeld CS et al.: A randomized trial of care in a hospital medical unit especially designed to improve the functional outcomes of acutely ill older patiens. N Engl J Med 1995; 332: 1338–1344.
10. Covinsky KE et al.: Do acute care for elders units increase hospital costs ? A cost analysis using the hospital perspective. J Am Geriatr Soc 1997; 45: 729–734.
11. Counsell SR et al.: Effects of a multicomponent intervention on functional outcomes and process of care in hospitalized older patients: a randomized controlled trial of Acute Care to Elders (ACE) in a community hospital. J Am Geriatr Soc 2000; 48: 1572–1581.
12. Saltvedt I et al.: Reduced mortality in treating acutely sick, frail older patients in a geriatric evaluation and management unit. A prospective randomized trial. J Am Geriatr Soc 2002; 50: 792–798.
13. Cohen HJ et al.: A controlled trial of inpatient and outpatient geriatric evaluation and management. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 905–912.
14. Saltvedt I et al.: Acute geriatric intervention increases the number of patients able to live at home. A prospective randomized study. Aging Clin Exp Res 2004; 16: 300–306.
15. Vidan M et al.: Efficacy of a comprehensive geriatric intervention in older patients hospitalized for hip fracture: a randomized, controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc 2005; 53: 1476–1482.
16. Baztan JJ et al.: Effectiveness of acute geriatric units on functional decline, living at home, and case fatality among older patients admitted to hospital for acute medical disorders: meta-analysis. BMJ 2009; 338: b50.
17. Van Craen K et al.: The effectiveness of inpatient geriatric evaluation and management units: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010; 58: 83–92.
18. Ellis G et al. Comprehensive geriatric assessment for older adults admitted to hospital. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011, Jul 6;(7): CD006211.
19. Ellis G et al.: Comprehensive geriatric assessment for older adults admitted to hospital: meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ 2011, Oct 27; 343:d6553. doi:10.1136/bmj.d6553.
20. Reuben DB et al.: A randomized trial of comprehensive geriatric assessment in the care of hospitalized patients. N Engl J Med 1995; 332: 1345–1350.
21. Cherubini A et al.: The persistent exclusion of older patients from ongoing clinical trials regarding heart failure. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171: 550–556.
22. Boyd CM et al.: Clinical practice guidelines and quality of care for older patients with multiple comorbid diseases: implications for pay for performance. JAMA 2005; 294: 716–724.
23. Sergi G et al.: Polypharmacy in the elderly: can comprehensive geriatric assessment reduce inappropriate medication use? Drugs Aging 2011; 28:509–518.
24. NCEPOD: National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death – http://www.ncepod.org.uk/2010report3/downloads/EESE_fullReport.pdf
25. Giusti A et al.: Optimal setting and care organization in the management of older adults with hip fracture. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 2011; 47: 281–296.
26. Friedman SM et al.: Geriatric Co-Management of Proximal Femur Fractures: Total Quality Management and Protocol-Driven Care Result in Better Outcomes for a Frail Patient Population. J Am Geriatr Soc 2008; 56: 1349–1356.
27. Kates SL et al.: The Value of an Organized Fracture Program for the Elderly: Early Results. J.Orthop Trauma 2011; 25: 233–237.
28. British Geriatrics Society. Peri-operative Care for Older Patients Undergoing Surgery. January 2013. http://www.bgs.org.uk/index.php/topresources/publicationfind/goodpractice/2402-bpg-pops
29. British Geriatrics Society. Acute Care of Elderly People, update December 2012. http://www.bgs.org.uk/index.php/topresources/publicationfind/goodpractice/44-gpgacutecare