1. Bandolier. Risk of death from shark attack. [cit. 2011-04-12]. Dostupné z: http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/shark.html.
2. Vondra V. Peče o nemocné s chronickou obstrukční plicní nemocí v České republice. Praha: Jalna 1996: 160.
3. Celli BR. Update on the management of COPD. Chest 2008; 133: 1451–1462.
4. Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (Updated 2010). c 2010, last revision 5th of January 2011. [cit. 2011-04-20]. Dostupné z: http://www.goldcopd.com/ Guidelineitem.asp?l1=2&l2=1&intId=989.
5. Barnes PJ. Why more research into molecular and cellular mechanisms of COPD is needed. In Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms. Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis Group 2005: 1–16.
6. Pauwels RA, Rabe KF. Burden and clinical features of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Lancet 2004; 364: 613–620.
7. Caballero A, Torres-Duque CA, Jaramillo C et al. Prevalence of COPD in five Colombian cities situated at low, medium, and high altitude (PREPOCOL study). Chest 2008; 133: 343–349.
8. Buist AS, Vollmer WM, McBurnie H et al. Worldwide burden of COPD in high- and low- income countries. Part I. The burden of obstructive lung disease (BOLD) initiative. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2008; 12: 703–708.
9. Halbert RJ, Natoli JL, Gano A et al. Global burden of COPD: systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Respir J 2006; 28: 523–532.
10. Musil J. Léčba chronické obstrukční plicní nemoci. Praha: Grada 1999.
11. Pauk N. Současné možnosti léčby CHOPN. Studia Pneumologica et Phtiseologica 2008; 68: 182–190.
12. Hansen JE, Sun XG, Wasserman K. Calculating gambling odds and lung ages for smokers. Eur Respir J 2010; 35: 776–780.
13. Kostekenvuo K, Broms U, Korhonen T et al. Smoking strongly predicts disability retirement due to COPD: the Finnish Twin Cohort Study. Eur Respir J 2011; 37: 26–31.
14. Tan WC, Lo C, Jong A et al. Vancouver Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease (BOLD) Research Group. Mariujana and chronic obstructive lung disease: a population – based study. CMAJ 2009; 180: 814–820.
15. Bridevaux PO, Probst-Hensch NM, Schindler C et al. Prevalence of airflow obstruction in smokers and never-smokers in Switzerland. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 1259–1269.
16. Klenha K, Koblizek V, Maly M. How far is it from the first admission for an exacerbation chronic obstructive pulmonary disease to death? Retrospective study from a rural region of the Czech Republic. Chest 2010; 138: 447A.
17. Etter JF. Short-term change in self-reported COPD symptoms after smoking cessation in an internet sample. Eur Respir J 2010; 35: 1249–1255.
18. Lamprecht B, McBurnie MA, Vollmer WM et al. BOLD Collaborative Research Group. COPD in never smokers: results from the population-based Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease study. Chest 2011; 139: 752–763.
19. Agusti A, Sobradillo P, Celli BR. Addressing the complexity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: from phenotypes and biomarkers to scale-free networks, systems biology, and P4 medicine. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; 183: 1129–1137.
20. Barnes PJ, Hansel TT. New treatments for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: molecular and cellular mechanisms. Eur Respir J 2003; 20: 672–688.
21. Schols AM, Broekhuizen R, Weling--Scheepers CA et al. Body composition and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 82: 53–59.
22. Schols AM, Slangen J, Volovics L et al. Weight loss is a reversible factor in the prognosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 157: 1791–1797.
23. Kim WJ, Hoffman E, Reilly J et al. Association of COPD candidate genes with computed tomography emphysema and airway phenotypes in severe COPD. Eur Respir J 2011; 37: 39–43.
24. Wagner PD. Possible mechanisms underlying the developement of cachexia in COPD. Eur Respir J 2008; 31: 492–501.
25. Schneider C, Bothner U, Jick SS et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Eur J Epidemiol 2010; 25: 253–260.
26. Curkendall SM, DeLuise C, Jones JK et al. Cardiovascular disease in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Saskatchewan Canada cardiovascular disease in COPD patients. Ann Epidemiol 2006; 16: 63–70.
27. Schneider C, Jick SS, Bothner U et al. Reflux disease, gastrointestinal ulcer or weight loss in patients with COPD. COPD 2010; 7: 172–178.
28. Schneider C, Jick SS, Bothner U et al. COPD and the risk of depression. Chest 2010; 137: 341–347.
29. Taylor AE, Finney-Hayward TK, Quint JK at el. Defective macrophage phagocytosis of bacteria in COPD. Eur Respir J 2010; 35: 1039–1047.
30. Wood AM, de Pablo P, Buckley CD et al. Smoke exposure as a determinant of autoantibody titre in α1-antitrypsin deficiency and COPD. Eur Respir J 2011; 37: 32–38.
31. Seymour JM, Spruit MA, Hopkinson NS et al. The prevalence of quadriceps weakness in COPD and the relationship with disease severity. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 81–88.
32. Hogg JC. Small airways disease in COPD. In: Barnes P (ed.). Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms. Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis Group 2005: 33–54.
33. Turato G, Baraldo S, Balestro E et al. Inflammation in lung parenchyma. In: Barnes P (ed.). Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms. Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis Group 2005: 17–32.
34. Kim JS, Rubin BK. Nasal and sinus inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. COPD 2007; 4: 163–166.
35. Kim J, Rubin B. Nasal and sinus involvement in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Curr Opin Pulm Med 2008; 14: 101–104.
36. Pistolesi M, Camiciottoli G, Paoletti M et al. Identification of a predominant COPD phenotype in clinical practice. Respir Med 2008; 102: 367–376.
37. Arrequi MA, Ezquerra KL, López FC et al. Hypercoagulability state and endotelial injury in stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients. An Sist Sanit Nevar 2010; 33: 43–50.
38. Guenette JA, Webb KA, Ofir D et al. Sex differences in exertional dyspnea in patients with mild COPD. Chest 2010; 138: 692 A.
39. Bestall JC, Paul EA, Garrod R et al. Usefulness of the Medical Research Council (MRC) dyspnoea scale as a measure of disability in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Thorax 1999; 54: 581–586.
40. Fletcher CM. The clinical diagnosis of pulmonary emphysema – an experimental study. Proc R Soc Med 1952; 45: 577–584.
41. Nishimura K, Izumi T, Tsukino M et al. Dyspnea is a better predictor of 5-year survival than airway obstruction in patients with COPD. Chest 2002; 121: 1434–1440.
42. Koblizek V, Tomsova M, Cermakova E et al. Impairment of nasal mucociliary clearance in former smokers with stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease relates to the presence of a chronic bronchitis phenotype. Rhinology 2011 [in press].
43. Hawkins NM, Petrie MC, MacDonald MR et al. Heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The quandary of beta-blockers and beta-agonists. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 57: 2127–2138.
44. Worth H, Chung KF, Felser JM et al. Cardio- and cerebrovascular safety of indacaterol vs formoterol, salmeterol, tiotropium and placebo in COPD. Respir Med 2011; 105: 571–579.
45. Prentice HA, Mannino DM, Caldwell GG et al. Significant bronchodilator responsiveness and „reversibility“ in a population sample. COPD 2010; 7: 323–330.
46. Schirnhofer L, Lamprecht B, Firlei N et al. Using targeted spirometry to reduce non-diagnosed chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respiration 2010; 81: 476–482.
47. Chlumský J, Fišerová J, Satinská J et al. Doporučený postup pro interpretaci základních vyšetření plicních funkcí [online]. c2007, poslední revize 9. 12. 2007 [cit. 2011-04-20]. Dostupné z: http://www.pneumologie.cz/odborne/doporucene-postupy.php.
48. Pellegrino RC, Antonelli A, Mondino M. Bronchodilator testing: an endless story. Eur Respir J 2010; 35: 952–954.
49. Pellegrino RC, Viegi G, Brusasco V et al. Interpretative strategies for lung function tests. Eur Respir J 2005; 26: 948–968.
50. Han MK, Wise R, Muford J et al. NETT Research Group. Prevalence and clinical correlates of bronchreversibility in severe emphysema. Eur Respir J 2010; 35: 1048–1056.
51. Vollmer WM, Gâslason T, Burney P et al. Comparison of spirometry criteria for the diagnosis of COPD: results from the BOLD study. Eur Respir J 2009; 34: 588–597.
52. Celli BR, Cote CG, Marin JM et al. The body-mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea and exercise capacity index in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 1005–1012.
53. Puhan MA, Garcia-Aymerich J, Frey M et al. Expansion of the prognostic assessment of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: the updated BODE index and the ADO index. Lancet 2009; 374: 704–711.
54. Koblížek V, Salajka F, Čermáková E et al. Vztah mezi kvalitou života a BODE indexem u bývalých kuřáků ve stabilní fázi chronické obstrukční plicní nemoci. Vnitř Lék 2009; 55: 940–947.
55. Partridge MR, Miravitlles M, Ståhl E et al. Development and validation of the Capacity of Daily Living during the Morning questionnaire and the Global Chest Symptoms Questionnaire in COPD. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 96–104.
56. Koblížek V, Prachařová Š. Co bychom měli vědět o CHOPN? Stud Pneumol Phthiseol 2011; 71: 51–53.
57. Decramer M, Celli BR, Kesten S et al. UPLIFT investigators. Effect of tiotropium on outcomes in patients with moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (UPLIFT): a prespecified subgroup analysis of a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009; 374: 1171–1178.
58. Troosters T, Celli BR, Lystiq T et al. Tiotropium as a first maintenance drug in COPD: secondary analysis of the UPLIFT trial. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 65–73.
59. Loke YK, Kwok CS, Singh S. Risk of myocardial infarction and cardiovascular death associated with inhaled corticosteroids in COPD. Eur Respir J 2010; 35: 1003–1021.
60. Lehtimäki L, Kankaanranta H, Saarelainen S et al. Bronchial nitric oxide is related to symptom relief during fluticasone treatment in COPD. Eur Respir J 2010; 35: 72–78.
61. Rennard SI, Calverley PM, Goehring UM et al. Reduction of exacerbations by the PDE4 inhibitor roflumilast – the importace of defining different subsets of patients with COPD. Respir Res 2011; 27: 18.
62. Hodgkin JE, Celli BR, Connors GL (eds). Pulmonary rehabilitation – Guidelines to success. 4th ed. St. Louis, Missouri: Mosby Elsevier 2009.
63. Kotecha S, Westall GP, Holsworth L et al. Long-term outcomes from bronchoscopic lung volume reduction using a bronchial prosthesis. Respirology 2011; 16: 167–173.
64. Lahzami S, Bridevaux PO, Soccal PM et al. Survival impact of lung transplantation for COPD. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 74–80.
65. Criner GJ. Alternatives to lung transplantation: lung volume reduction for COPD. Clin Chest Med 2011; 32: 379–397.
66. Lange P, Mogelvang R, Marott JL et al. Cardiovascular morbidity in COPD: a study of the general population. COPD 2010; 7: 5–10.
67. Sin DD, Man SF. Why are patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at increased risk of cardiovascular disease? The potential role of systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Circulation 2003; 107: 1514–1519.
68. Dinh-Xuan AT, Higenbottam TW, Clelland CA et al. Impairment of endothelium dependent pulmonary artery relaxation in chronic obstructive lung disease. N Engl J Med 1991; 324: 1539–1547.
69. Howes TQ, Deane CR, Levin GE et al. The effects of oxygen and dopamine on renal and aortic blood flow in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with hypoxemia and hypercapnia. Am J Respir Crit Care 1995; 151: 378–383.
70. Baudouin SV, Bott J, Ward A et al. Short term effect of oxygen on renal haemodynamics in patients with hypoxaemic chronic obstructive airways disease. Thorax 1992; 47: 550–554.
71. Bassuk SS, Rifai N, Ridker PM. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein: clinical Importace. Curr Probl Cardiol 2004; 29: 439–493.
72. Celli BR, Decramer M, Leimer H et al. Cardiovascular safety of tiotropium in patients with COPD. Chest 2010; 137: 20–30.
73. Tashkin DP, Celli BR, Senn S et al. UPLIFT Study Investigators. A four year trial of tiotropium in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 1543–1554.
74. Kesten S, Jara M, Wentworth C et al. Pooled clinical trial analysis of tiotropium safety. Chest 2006; 130: 1695–1703.
75. Gershon AS, Wang L, To T et al. Survival with tiotropium compared to long-acting beta-2-agonists in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. COPD 2008; 5: 229–234.
76. Lee TA, Wilke C, Joo M et al. Outcomes associated with tiotropium use in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169: 1403–1410.
77. Rodrigo GJ, Castro-Rodriguez JA, Nannini LJ et al. Tiotropium and risk for fatal and nonfatal cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: Systematic review with meta-analysis. Respir Med 2009; 103: 1421–1429.
78. Salpeter SR. Do inhaled anticholinergics increase or decrease the risk of major cardiovascular events? A synthesis of the available evidence. Drugs 2009; 69: 2025–2033.
79. Singh S, Loke YK, Furberg CD. Inhaled anticholinergics and risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2008; 300: 1439–1450.
80. Wedzicha JA, Calverley PM, Seemungal TA et al. INSPIRE Investigators. The prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations by salmeterol/fluticasone propionate or tiotropium bromide. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2008; 177: 19–26.
81. Grosso A, Douglas I, Hingorani AD et al. Inhaled tiotropium bromide and risk of stroke. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2009; 68: 731–736.
82. Michele TM, Pinheiro S, Iyasu S. The safety of tiotropium – the FDA’s conclusions. N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 1097–1099.
83. Insulander P, Juhlin-Dannfelt A, Freyschuss U et al. Electrophysiologic effects of salbutamol, a beta2-selective agonist. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2004; 15: 316–322.
84. Watz H, Waschki B, Meyer T et al. Decreasing cardiac chamber sizes and associated heart dysfunction in COPD – role of hyperinflation. Chest 2010; 138: 32–38.
85. Khindri S, Sabo R, Harris S et al. Cardiac safety of indacaterol in healthy subjects: a randomized, multidose, placebo and positive controlled, parallel group thorough QT study. BMC Pulm Med 2011; 11: 31.
86. Buhl R, Dunn LJ, Disdier C et al. INTENSITY study investigators. Blinded 12 week comparison of once-daily indacaterol and tiotropium in COPD. Eur Respir J 2011 [Epub akad of print].
87. Cazzola M, Matera MG, Donner CF. Inhaled beta2-adrenoreceptor agonists: Cardiovascular safety in patients with obstructive lung disease. Drugs 2005; 65: 1595–1610.
88. Nelson HS, Gross NJ, Levine B et al. Formoterol Study Group. Cardiac safety profile of nebulized formoterol in adults with COPD: a 12-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, placebo- and active-controlled trial. Clin Ther 2007; 29: 2167–2178.
89. Campbell SC, Criner GJ, Levine B et al. Cardiac safety of formoterol 12 microg twice daily in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2007; 20: 571–579.
90. Calverley PM, Anderson JA, Celli BR et al. TORCH Investigators. Cardiovascular events in patients with COPD: Torch study results. Thorax 2010; 65: 719–725.
91. Jara M, Lanes SF, Wentworth C 3rd et al. Comparative safety of long-acting inhaled bronchodilators: a cohort study using the UK THIN primary care database. Drug Saf 2007; 30: 1151–1160.
92. Vogelmeier C, Hederer B, Glaab T et al. POET-COPD Investigators. Tiotropium versus salmeterol for the prevention of exacerbation of COPD. N Engl J Med 2011; 364: 1093–1103.
93. Anthonisen NR, Connett JE, Enright PF et al. Lung Health Study Research Group. Hospitalization and mortality in the Lung Health Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 166: 333–339.
94. Hilleman DE, Malesker MA, Morrow LE et al. A systematic review of the cardiovascular risk of inhaled anticholinergics in patients with COPD. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2009; 4: 253–563.
95. Makino S, Adachi M, Ohta K et al. Safety of Sustained-Release Theophylline and Injectable Methylxanthines Committee; Asthma Prevention and Management Guidelines Committee. A prospective survey on safety of sustained-release theophylline in treatment of asthma and COPD. Allergol Int 2006; 55: 395–402.
96. Morfin M, Castillo M. Theophylline, a new look to an old drug. Rev Alerg Mex 2010; 57: 112–122.
97. Barnes PJ. Glucocorticosteroids: current and future directions. Br J Pharmacol 2011; 163: 29–43.
98. Ford PA, Durham AL, Russell RE et al. Treatment effects of low-dose theophylline combined with an inhaled corticosteroid in COPD. Chest 2010; 137: 1338–1344.
99. Singh S, Amin AV, Loke YK. Long-term use of inhaled corticosteroids and the risk of pneumonia in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease : a meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169: 219–229.
100. Rabe KF. Roflumilast for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Expert Rev Respir Med 2010; 4: 543–555.
101. Vignola AM. PDE4 inhibition in COPD – a more selective approach to treatment. Respir Med 2004; 98: 495–503.
102. de Mey C, Nassr N, Lahu G. No relevant cardiac, pharmacokinetic or safety interactions between roflumilast and inhaled formoterol in healthy subjects: an open-label, randomized, actively controlled study. BMC Clin Pharmacol 2011; 11: 7.
103. Rigotti NA, Thorndike AN, Regan S et al. Bupropion for smokers hospitalized with acute cardiovascular disease. Am J Med 2006; 119: 1080–1087.
104. Coe JW, Brooks PR, Veteline MG et al. Varenicline: an alpha4beta2 nicotinic receptor partial agonist for smoking cessation. J Med Chem 2005; 48: 3474–3477.
105. Yohannes AM, Willgoss TG, Vestbo J. Tiotropium for treatment of stable COPD: a meta-analysis of clinically relevant outcomes. Respir Care 2011 [Epub akad of print].
106. Keranis E, Makris D, Rodopoulou P et al. Impact of dietary shift to higher antioxidant fous in COPD: a randomized trial. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 774–780.
107. Shaheen SO, Jameson KA, Syddall HE et al. Hertfordshire Cohort Study Group. The relationship of dietary patterns with adult lung function and COPD. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 277–284.
108. Rutten EH, Zuithoff NP, Hak E et al. Beta-blockers may reduce mortality and risk of exacerbations in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170: 880–887.
109. Barnes PJ, Celli BR. Systemic manifestations and comorbidities of COPD. Eur Respir J 2009; 33: 1165–1185.