1. Burrows RF, Kelton JG. Incidentally detected thrombocytopenia in healthy mothers and their infants. N Engl J Med 1988; 319: 142–145.
2. Boehlen F, Hohlfeld P, Extermann P et al. Maternal antiplatelet antibodies in predicting risk of neonatal thrombocytopenia. Obstet Gynecol 1999; 93: 169–173.
3. Boehlen F, Hohlfeld P, Extermann P et al. Platelet count at term pregnancy: a reappraisal of the threshold. Obstet Gynecol 2000; 95: 29–33.
4. Sainio S, Kekomaki R, Riikonen S et al. Maternal thrombocytopenia at term: a population-based study. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2000; 79: 744–749.
5. McCrae KR, Bussel JB, Mannucci PM et al. Platelets: an update on diagnosis and management of thrombocytopenic disorders. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2001: 282–305.
6. Schwartz KA. Gestational thrombocytopenia and immune thrombocytopenias in pregnancy. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2000; 14: 1101–1116.
7. Verdy E, Bessous V, Dreyfus M et al. Longitudinal analysis of platelet count and volume in normal pregnancy. Thromb Haemost 1997; 77: 806–807.
8. McCrae KR. Thrombocytopenia in pregnancy: differential diagnosis, pathogenesis, and management. Blood Rev 2003; 17: 7–14.
9. Crowther MA, Burrows RF, Ginsberg J et al. Thrombocytopenia in pregnancy: diagnosis, pathogenesis and management. Blood Rev 1996; 10: 8–16.
10. Shehata N, Burrows R, Kelton JG. Gestational thrombocytopenia. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1999; 42: 327–334.
11. Rath W, Fischer T. The diagnosis and treatment of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: new findings for antenatal and inpatient care. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2009; 106: 733–738.
12. Report of the National High Blood Pressure Education Program Working Group on High Blood Pressure in Pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2000; 183: S1–S22.
13. McCrae KR, Samuels P, Schreiber AD. Pregnancy-associated thrombocytopenia: pathogenesis and management. Blood 1992; 80: 2697–2714.
14. Karumanchi SA, Lindheimer MD. Advances in the understanding of eclampsia. Curr Hypertens Rep 2008; 10: 305–312.
15. Allford SL, Hunt BJ, Rose P et al. Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of the thrombotic microangiopathic haemolytic anaemias. Br J Haematol 2003; 120: 556–573.
16. Sibai BM. The HELLP syndrome (hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelets): much ado about nothing? Am J Obstet Gynecol 1990; 162: 311–316.
17. Martin JN Jr, Files JC, Blake PG et al. Plasma exchange for preeclampsia. I. Postpartum use for persistently severe preeclampsia-eclampsia with HELLP syndrome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1990; 162: 126–137.
18. Sibai BM, Ramadan MK, Usta I et al. Maternal morbidity and mortality in 442 pregnancies with hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelets (HELLP syndrome). Am J Obstet Gynecol 1993; 169: 1000–1006.
19. Sibai BM, Ramadan MK, Chari RS et al. Pregnancies complicated by HELLP syndrome (hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelets): subsequent pregnancy outcome and long-term prognosis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1995; 172: 125–129.
20. Gill KK, Kelton JG. Management of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in pregnancy. Semin Hematol 2000; 37: 275–289.
21. Stavrou E, McCrae KR. Immune thrombocytopenia in pregnancy. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2009; 23: 1299–1316.
22. Heyns AP, Badenhorst PN, Lotter MG et al. Platelet turnover and kinetics in immune thrombocytopenic purpura: results with autologous 111In-labeled platelets and homologous 51Cr-labeled platelets differ. Blood 1986; 67: 86–92.
23. Kuwana M, Kaburaki J, Kitasato H et al. Immunodominant epitopes on glycoprotein IIb-IIIa recognized by autoreactive T cells in patients with immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2001; 98: 130–139.
24. Cines DB, Blanchette VS. Immune thrombocytopenic purpura. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 995–1008.
25. Cooper N, Bussel J. The pathogenesis of immune thrombocytopaenic purpura. Br J Haematol 2006; 133: 364–374.
26. Cines DB, Liebman HA. The immune thrombocytopenia syndrome: a disorder of diverse pathogenesis and clinical presentation. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2009; 23: 1155–1161.
27. Provan D, Stasi R, Newland AC et al. International consensus report on the investigation and management of primary immune thrombocytopenia. Blood 2010; 115: 168–186.
28. McMillan R. Antiplatelet antibodies in chronic immune thrombocytopenia and their role in platelet destruction and defective platelet production. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2009; 23: 1163–1175.
29. Levi M. Disseminated intravascular coagulation. Crit Care Med 2007; 35: 2191–2195.
30. Levi M, Toh CH, Thachil J et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of disseminated intravascular coagulation. British Committee for Standards in Haematology. Br J Haematol 2009; 145: 24–33.
31. Al-Mondhiry H. Disseminated intravascular coagulation: experience in a major cancer center. Thromb Diath Haemorrh 1975; 34: 181–193.
32. Siegal T, Seligsohn U, Aghai E et al. Clinical and laboratory aspects of disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC): a study of 118 cases. Thromb Haemost 1978; 39: 122–134.
33. Fourrier F, Chopin C, Goudemand J et al. Septic shock, multiple organ failure, and disseminated intravascular coagulation. Compared patterns of antithrombin III, protein C, and protein S deficiencies. Chest 1992; 101: 816–823.
34. Mesters RM, Mannucci PM, Coppola R et al. Factor VIIa and antithrombin III activity during severe sepsis and septic shock in neutropenic patients. Blood 1996; 88: 881–886.
35. Faust SN, Levin M, Harrison OB et al. Dysfunction of endothelial protein C activation in severe meningococcal sepsis. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 408–416.
36. Egi M, Morimatsu H, Wiedermann CJ et al. Non-overt disseminated intravascular coagulation scoring for critically ill patients: the impact of antithrombin levels. Thromb Haemost 2009; 101: 696–705.
37. Taylor FB Jr, Toh CH, Hoots WK et al. Towards definition, clinical and laboratory criteria, and a scoring system for disseminated intravascular coagulation. Thromb Haemost 2001; 86: 1327–1330.
38. Toh CH, Hoots WK. The scoring system of the Scientific and Standardisation Committee on Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis: a 5-year overview. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 604–606.
39. Wada H, Gabazza EC, Asakura H et al. Comparison of diagnostic criteria for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC): diagnostic criteria of the International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis and of the Japanese Ministry of Health and Welfare for overt DIC. Am J Hematol 2003; 74: 17–22.
40. Mayer SA, Aledort LM. Thrombotic microangiopathy: differential diagnosis, pathophysiology and therapeutic strategies. Mt Sinai J Med 2005; 72: 166–175.
41. Nguyen TC, Carcillo JA. Bench-to-bedside review: thrombocytopenia-associated multiple organ failure – a newly appreciated syndrome in the critically ill. Crit Care 2006; 10: 235.
42. Gando S. Microvascular thrombosis and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome. Crit Care Med 2010; 38: (2 Suppl): S35–S42.
43. Egerman RS, Witlin AG, Friedman SA et al. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome in pregnancy: review of 11 cases. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996; 175: 950–956.
44. Dashe JS, Ramin SM, Cunningham FG. The long-term consequences of thrombotic microangiopathy (thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome) in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1998; 91: 662–668.
45. McMinn JR, George JN. Evaluation of women with clinically suspected thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome during pregnancy. J Clin Apher 2001; 16: 202–209.
46. Chen YC, Chen HS, Shen CJ et al. Delayed postpartum hemorrhage – a rare clinical presentation of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: a case report. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2005; 21: 532–535.
47. Stella CL, Dacus J, Guzman E et al. The diagnostic dilemma of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura/hemolytic uremic syndrome in the obstetric triage and emergency department: lessons from 4 tertiary hospitals. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009; 200: 381.
48. Pereira A, Mazzara R, Monteagudo J et al. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura/hemolytic uremic syndrome: a multivariate analysis of factors predicting the response to plasma exchange. Ann Hematol 1995; 70: 319–323.
49. Crowther MA, George JN. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: 2008 update. Cleve Clin J Med 2008; 75: 369–375.
50. Esplin MS, Branch DW. Diagnosis and management of thrombotic microangiopathies during pregnancy. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1999; 42: 360–367.
51. Robson JS, Martin AM, Ruckley V et al. Irreversible post-partum renal failure. A new syndrome. Q J Med 1968; 37: 423–435.
52. Wagoner RD, Holley KE, Johnson WJ. Accelerated nephrosclerosis and postpartum acute renal failure in normotensive patients. Ann Intern Med 1968; 69: 237–248.
53. Ibdah JA. Acute fatty liver of pregnancy: an update on pathogenesis and clinical implications. World J Gastroenterol 2006; 12: 7397–7404.
54. Mackillop L, Williamson C. Liver disease in pregnancy. Postgrad Med J 2010; 86: 160–164.
55. Wilson WA, Gharavi AE, Koike T et al. International consensus statement on preliminary classification criteria for definite antiphospholipid syndrome: report of an international workshop. Arthritis Rheum 1999; 42: 1309–1311.
56. Finazzi G. The Italian Registry of Antiphospholipid Antibodies. Haematologica 1997; 82: 101–105.
57. Cuadrado MJ, Mujic F, Munoz E et al. Thrombocytopenia in the antiphospholipid syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis 1997; 56: 194–196.
58. Cervera R, Piette JC, Font J et al. Antiphospholipid syndrome: clinical and immunologic manifestations and patterns of disease expression in a cohort of 1,000 patients. Arthritis Rheum 2002; 46: 1019–1027.
59. Lim W. Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2009: 233–239.
60. Asherson RA, Cervera R, de Groot PG et al. Catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome: international consensus statement on classification criteria and treatment guidelines. Lupus 2003; 12: 530–534.
61. Cervera R, Font J, Gomez-Puerta JA et al. Validation of the preliminary criteria for the classification of catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis 2005; 64: 1205–1209.
62. Espinosa G, Bucciarelli S, Asherson RA et al. Morbidity and mortality in the catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome: pathophysiology, causes of death, and prognostic factors. Semin Thromb Hemost 2008; 34: 290–294.
63. George JN, Aster RH. Drug-induced thrombocytopenia: pathogenesis, evaluation, and management. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2009: 153–158.
64. Rice TW, Wheeler AP. Coagulopathy in critically ill patients: part 1: platelet disorders. Chest 2009; 136: 1622–1630.
65. Aster RH, Bougie DW. Drug-induced immune thrombocytopenia. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 580–587.
66. Aster RH, Curtis BR, McFarland JG et al. Drug-induced immune thrombocytopenia: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management. J Thromb Haemost 2009; 7: 911–918.
67. Berkman N, Michaeli Y, Or R et al. EDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia: a clinical study of 18 patients and a review of the literature. Am J Hematol 1991; 36: 195–201.
68. Payne BA, Pierre RV. Pseudothrombocytopenia: a laboratory artifact with potentially serious consequences. Mayo Clin Proc 1984; 59: 123–125.
69. Schrezenmeier H, Muller H, Gunsilius E et al. Anticoagulant-induced pseudothrombocytopenia and pseudoleucocytosis. Thromb Haemost 1995; 73: 506–513.