1. The cardiac Arrhythmias Suppression Trial (CAST) Investigators. Preliminary report: effect of encainide and flecainide on mortality in a randomized trial of arrhythmia suppression after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1989; 321: 406-412.
2. Randomized trial of effect of amiodarone on mortality in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after recent myocardial infarction: EMIAT. Lancet 1997; 349: 667-674.
3. Randomized trial of outcome after myocardial infarction in patients with frequent or repetitive ventricular premature depolarization: CAMIAT. Lancet 1997; 349: 675-682.
4. Moss AJ, Hall WJ, Cannon DS et al. Improved Survival with an implantable defibrillator in patients with coronary artery disease at high risk for ventricular arrhythmias. N Engl J Med 1996; 335: 1933-1940.
5. Moss AJ, Zareba W, Hall WJ et al. Prophylactic implantation of a defibrillator in patients with myocardial infarction and reduced ejection fraction. N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 877-883.
6. Hohnloser SH, Kuck KH, Dorian P et al. Prophylactic use of an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator after acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 2481-2488.
7. Solomon SD, Zelenkofske S, McMurray JJV et al. Sudden death in patients with myocardial infarction and left ventricular dysfunction, heart failure or both. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 2581-2588.
8. Holmes DR Jr, Davis KB, Mock MB et al. The effect of medical and surgical treatment on subsequent sudden cardiac death in patients with coronary artery disease: a report from the coronary artery surgery study. Circulation 1986; 73: 1254-1263.
9. Bigger JT for the coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) patch trial investigators. Prophylactic use of implanted cardiac defibrillators in patients at high risk for ventricular arrhythmias after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. N Engl J Med 1997; 337: 1569-1575.
10. Makikallio TH, Barthel P, Schneider R et al. Frequency of sudden cardiac death among acute myocardial survivors with optimized medical and revascularization therapy. Am J Cardiol 2006; 97: 480-484.
11. Olsson G, Wikstrand J, Warnold I et al. Metoprolol-induced reduction in postinfarction mortality: pooled results from five double-blind randomized trials. Eur Heart J 1992; 13: 28-32.
12. Hjalmarson A. Effect of beta blockade on sudden cardiac death during acute myocardial infarction and the postinfarction period. Am J Cardiol 1997; 80: 35J-39J.
13. COMMIT (Clopidrol and Metoprolol in myocardial infarction trial) collaborative group. Early intravenous then oral metoprolol in 45852 patients with acute myocardial infarction randomized placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 366; 1622-1632.
14. The CAPRICORN Investigators. Effects of carvedilol on outcome after myocardial infarction in patients with left ventricular dysfunction: the CAPRICORN randomized trial. Lancet 2001; 357: 1385-1390.
15. Domanski MJ, Exner DV, Borkowf CB et al. Effect of angiotensine converting enzyme inhibition on sudden cardiac death in patients following acute myocardial infarction. A meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Am Coll Cardiol 1999; 33: 598-604.
16. Pitt B, Remme W, Zannad F et al. Eplerenone, a selective aldosterone blocker, in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 1309-1321.
17. Abildstrom AZ, Rask-Madsen C, Ottsen MM et al on behalf of the TRACE study group. Impact of age and sex on sudden cardiovascular death following myocardial infarction. Heart 2002; 88: 573-578.
18. Wu AH, Parsons L, Every NR et al. Hospital outcomes in patients presenting with congestive heart failure complicating acute myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002; 40: 1389-1394.
19. Steg PG, Dabbous OH, Feldman LJ et al. Determinants and prognostic impact of heart failure complicating acute coronary syndrome; Observation from the global registry of acute coronary events (GRACE). Circulation 2004; 109: 494-499.
20. Yap YG, Duong T, Bland M et al. Temporal trend on the risk of arrhythmic vs. nonarhhytmic high-risk patients after myocardial infarction: a combined analysis of multicenter trial. Eur Heart J 2005; 26: 1385-1393.
21. Chadda K, Goldstein S, Byington R et al. Effect of propranolol after acute myocardial infarction in patients with congestive heart failure. Circulation 1986; 73: 503-510.
22. McMurray J, Kober L, Robertson M et al. Antiarrhythmic effect of carvedilol after acute myocardial infarction; Results of the carvedilol post-infarct survival control in left ventricular dysfunction (CAPRICORN) trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45: 525-530.
23. Gottlieb SS, Carter RJ, Vogel RA. Effect of beta-blockade on mortality among high-risk and low risk patients after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 489-497.
24. Spargias KS, Hall AS, Greenwood DC et al. Beta blocker treatment and other prognostic variables in patients with clinical evidence of heart failure after acute myocardial infarction: evidence from the AIRE study. Heart 1999; 81: 25-32.
25. Ellis K, Tcheng JE, Sapp S et al. Mortality benefit of beta blockade in patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing coronary intervention: Pooled results from epic, epilog, capture and rapport trial. J Interven Cardiol 2003; 16: 299-305.
26. Kernis SJ, Harjai KJ, Stone GW et al. Does beta-blocker therapy improve clinical outcomes of acute myocardial infarction after successful primary angioplasty? J Am Coll Cardiol 2004; 43: 1773-1779.
27. Ellison KE, Hafley GE, Hickey K et al. Effect of beta-blocking therapy on outcome in the multicenter unsustained tachycardia trial (MUSTT). Circulation 2002; 106: 2694-2699.
28. Brodine WN, Tung RT, Lee JK et al. Effects of beta-blockers on implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy and survival in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy (from the multicenter automatic defibrillator implantation trial-II). Am J Cardiol 2005; 96: 691-695.
29. Pfeffer MA, Braunwald E, Moye LA et al. Effect of captopril on mortality and morbidity in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction: results of the Survival and ventricular Enlargement Trial. N Engl J Med 1992; 327: 669-677.
30. Kober L, Torp-Pedersen C, Carlsen JA et al. A clinical trial of the angiotensine-converting-enzyme inhibitor trandolapril in patients with left ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 1670-1676.
31. The acute infarction ramipril efficacy (AIRE) study investigators. Effect of ramipril on mortality and morbidity of survivors of acute myocardial infarction with clinical evidence of heart failure. Lancet 1993; 342: 821-828.
32. Ambrosioni E, Borghi C, Magnani B for the survival myocardial infarction long-term evaluation (SMILE) study investigators. N Engl J Med 1995; 332: 80-85.
33. Swedberg K, Held P, Kjekshus J et al. On behalf of the CONSENSUS II study group. N Engl J Med 1992; 327: 678-684.
34. Cleland JGF, Erhardt L, Murray G et al. Effect of ramipril on morbidity and mode of death among survivors of acute myocardial infarction with clinical evidence of heart failure: A report from the AIRE study investigators. Eur Heart J 1997; 18: 41-51.
35. Dickstein K, Kjekshus J and the OPTIMAL Steering Committee. Effects of losartan and captopril on mortality and morbidity in high-risk patients after acute myocardial infarction: the OPTIMAL randomized trial. Lancet 220; 360: 752-760.
36. Pfeffer MA, McMurray JJ, Veleazguez EJ et al. Valsartan in acute myocardial infarction trial investigators. Valsartan, captopril, or both in myocardial infarction complicated by heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction, or both. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 1893-1906.
37. John JN, Colucci W. Cardiovascular effects of aldosterone and post-acute myocardial infarction pathophysiology. Am J Cardiol 2006; 97(Suppl): 4F-12F.
38. Pitt B, White H, Nicolau J et al. Eplerenone reduces mortality 30 days after randomization following acute myocardial infarction in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction and heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 46: 425-431.
39. Perrier E, Kerfant BG, Lalevec N et al. Mineralcorticoid receptor antagonism prevents the electrical remodeling that precedes cellular hypertrophy after myocardial infarction. Circulation 2004; 110: 776-783.