1. Jemal A, Murray T, Ward E et al. Cancer Statistics 2005. CA Cancer Clin J 2005; 55: 10-30.
2. Huggins C, Hodges CV. Studies on prostate cancer: 1.The effect of castration, of estrogen and androgen injection on serum phosphatases in metastatic carcinoma of the prostate. Cancer Res 1941; 1: 293-97.
3. Veteran's Administration Cooperative Urologic Research Group. Carcinoma of the prostate: treatment comparisons. J Urol 1967; 98: 516-22.
4. Auclair C, Kelly PA, Coy DH et al. Potent Inhibitory Activity of [D-Leu-6, des-Gly-NH2 (10)] LHRH ethylarnide on LH/hCG and prolactin testicular receptors in the rat. Endocrinology 1977; 101: 1890-1893.
5. Labrie F, Dupont A, Belanger A et al. New approach in the treatment of prostate cancer: complete instead of partial withdrawal of androgens. Prostate 1983; 4: 579-594.
6. The Medical Research Council Prostate Cancer Working Party Investigators Group. Immediate versus deferred treatment for advanced prostatic cancer: initial results of the Medical Research Council Trial. Br J Urol 1997; 79: 235-246.
7. Scholz M, Jennrich R, Strum S et al. Long-term outcome for men with androgen independent prostate cancer treated with ketoconazole and hydrocortisone. J Urol 2005; 173: 1947-1952.
8. Glass TR, Tangen CM, Crawford ED et al. Metastatic carcinoma of the prostate: identifying prognostic groups using recursive partitioning. J Urol 2003; 169: 164-169.
9. Eisenberger MA, Simon R, O'Dwyer PJ et al. A reevaluation of nonhormonal cytotoxic chemotherapy in the treatment of prostatic carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 1985; 3: 827-841.
10. Bubley GJ, Carducci M, Dahut W et al. Eligibility and response guidelines for phase II clinical trials in androgen-independent prostate cancer: recommendations from the Prostate-Specific Antigen Working Group. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 3461-3467.
11. Verbel DA, Heller G, Kelly WK et al. Quantitaion of the amount of variaition of survival explained by prostate-specific antigen. Clin Cancer Res 2002; 8: 2576-2579.
12. Tannock IF, Osoba D, Stockler MR et al. Chemotherapy with mitoxantrone plus prednisone or prednisone alone for symptomatic hormone-resistant prostate cancer: a Canadian randomized trial with palliative end points. J Clin Oncol 1996; 14: 1756-1764.
13. Kantoff PW, Halabi S, Conaway M et al. Hydrocortisone with or without mitoxantrone in men with hormone-refractory prostate cancer: results of the cancer and acute leukemia group B 9182 study. J Clin Oncol 1999;17: 2506-2513.
14. Picus J, Schultz M. A phase II trial of docetaxelin patients with hormone refractory prostate cancer (HRPC): long term results. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1999; 18: 314a.
15. Berry W, Dahkil S, Gregurich MA et al. Phase II trial of single-agent weekly docetaxel in hormonerefractory, symptomatic, metastatic carcinoma of the prostate. Semin Oncol 2001; 28 (Suppl 15): 8-15.
16. Petrylak DP, Tangen CM, Hussain MH et al. Docetaxel and estramustine compared with mitoxantrone and prednisone for advanced refractory prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 1513-1520.
17. Tannock IF, de Wit R, Berry WR et al. Docetaxel plus prednisone or mitoxantrone plus prednisone for advanced prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 1502-1512.
18. Miglietta L, Cannobio L, Boccardo F. Assessmnet of response to carboplatin in patients with hormonerefractory prostate cancer: a critical analysis of drug activity. Anticancer Res 1995; 15: 2825-2828.
19. Beer TM, Ryan CW, Venner PM et al. Interim results from ASCENT: A double-blinded randomized study of DN-101 (high dose calcitriol) plus docetaxel vs. placebo plus docetaxel in androgen-independent prostate cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 382s.
20. Figg WD, Dahut W, Duray P et al. A randomized phase II trial of thalidomide, an angiogenesis inhibitor, in patients with androgen-independent prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 1888-1893.
21. Canil CM, Moore MJ, Winquist E et al. Randomized phase II study of two doses of gefitinib in hormonerefractory prostate cancer: a trial of the National Cancer Institute of Canada-Clinical Trials Group. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 455-460.
22. Mathew P, Thall PF, Jones D et al. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor inhibitor imatinib mesylate and docetaxel: a modular phase I trial in androgen-independent prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22(16): 3323-3329.
23. Picus J, Halabi S, Rini B et al. The use of bevacizumab with docetaxel and estramustine in hormone refractory prostate cancer: Initial results of CALGB 90006. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2003; 22: 393.
24. Lara PN Jr, Chee KG, Longmate J et al. Trastuzumab plus docetaxel in HER-2/neu positive prostate carcinoma: final results from the California Cancer Consortium Screening and Phase II Trial. Cancer 2004; 100: 2125-2131.
25. Nelson JB, Nabulsi AA, Vogelzang NJ et al. Suppression of prostate cancer induced bone remodeling by the endothelin receptor A antagonist atrasentan. J Urol 2003; 169: 1143-1149.
26. Dreicer, R, Roth B, Petrylak D et al. Bortezomib plus docetaxel in patients with advanced androgenindependent prostate cancer: A Phase 1/2 study. Paper presented at:2005 Multidisciplinary Prostate Cancer Symposium: Current status and future directions for prevention and management, Orlando, FL, USA; Abstract 250.
27. Kantoff P. Recent progress in management of advanced prostate cancer. Oncology (Williston Park, NY) 2005; 19: 631-636.
28. Sternberg CN, Whelan P, Hetherington J et al. Phase III trial of satraplatin, an oral platinum plus prednisone vs. prednisone alone in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer. Oncology 2005; 68: 2-9.
29. Galsky MD, Small EJ, Oh WK et al. Multi-institutional randomized phase II trial of the epothilone B analog ixabepilone (BMS-247550) with or without estramustine phosphate in patients with progressive castrate metastatic prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 1439-1446.
30. Nakabayashi M, Oh WK. Neoadjuvant and adjuvant chemotherapy for high-risk localized prostate cancer. Curr Treat Options Oncol 2004; 5: 349-355.
31. Messing EM, Manola J, Saosdy M et al. Immediate hormonal therapy compared with observation after radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy in men with node-positive prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 1781-1788.
32. D'Amico AV, Manola J, Loffredo M et al. 6-Month androgen suppression plus radiotherapy vs. radiotherapy alone for patients with clinically localized prostate cancer. JAMA 2004; 292: 821-827.