1. Dispenzieri A. Castleman disease. Cancer Treat Res 2008;142:293–330.
2. Liu AY, Nabel CS, Finkelman BS, et al. Idiopathic multicentric Castleman‘s disease: a systematic literature review. Lancet Haematol 2016;3(4):e163–e175.
3. Chan Kah-Lok, Lade S, Prince HM, et al. Update and new approaches in the threatment of Castleman disease. J Blood Med 2016;7:145–158.
4. Fajgenbaum DC, Uldrick TS, Bagg A, et al. International evidence-based consensus diagnostic criteria for HHV-8-negative/idiopathic multicentric Castleman disease. Blood 2017;129(12):1646–1657.
5. Simpson D. Epidemiology of Castleman disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2018;32(1):1–10.
6. Castleman B, Towe VW. Case report of the Massachusetts General Hospital weekly clinicopathological exercises, fouded by Richard C Cabot. N Engl J Med 1954;251(10):396–400.
7. Keller AR, Hochholzer L, Castleman B. Hyaline-vascular and plasma-cell types of giant lymph node hyperplasia of the mediastinum and other localisation. Cancer 1972;29:670–683.
8. Gaba AR, Stein RS, Sweet DJ, et al. Multicentric giant node hyperplasia. Amer J Clin Pathol 1978;69(1):86–90.
9. Soulier J, Grollet L, Oksenhendler E, et al. Kaposi‘s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus-like DNA sequences in multicentric Castleman‘s di-sease. Blood 1995;86(4):1276–1280.
10. Chadbum A, Cesarman E, Nador RG, et al. Kaposi´s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus sequences in benign lymphoid prolifera-tions not associated with human immunodeficiency virus. Cancer 1997;80:788–797.
11. Riu P, Noesl LH, Droz D, et al. Glomerular involvement in lymfoproliferative disorders with hyperproduction of cytokines (Castleman, POEMS). Adv Nephrol Necke Hosp 2000;30:305–331.
12. Masaki Y, Nakajima A, Iwao H, et al. Japanese variant of multicentric Castleman‘s disease associated with serositis and thrombocytopenia – a report of two cases: is TAFRO syndrome (Castleman-Kojima disease) a distinct clinicopathological entity? J Clin Exp Hematop 2013;53(1):79–85.
13. Kawabata H, Takai K, Kojima M, et al. Castleman-Kojima disease (TAFRO syndrome): a novel systemic inflammatory disease characterized by a constellation of symptoms, namely, thrombocytopenia, ascites (anasarca), microcytic anemia, myelofibrosis, renal dysfunction, and organomegaly. J Clin Exp Hematop 2013;53(1):57–61.
14. Inoue M, Ankou M, Hua J, at al. Complete resolution of TAFRO syndrome (thrombocytopenia, anasarca, fever, reticulin fibrosis and organomegaly) after immunosuppressive therapies using corticosteroids and cyclosporin A: a case report. J Clin Exp Hematop 2013;53(1):95–99.
15. Tedesco S, Postacchini L, Manfredi L, et al. Successful treatment of a Caucasian case of multifocal Castleman´s disease with TAFRO syndrome with pathophysiology targeted therapy – case report. Exp Hematol Oncol 2015;4(1):3–10.
16. Robinson D Jr, Reynolds M, Casper C, et al. Clinical epidemiology and treatment patterns of patients with multicentric Castleman disease: results from two US treatment centres. Br J Haematol 2014;165(1):39–48.
17. Fajgenbaum DC, vanRhee F, Nabel ChS. HHV-8 negative idiopathic multicentric Castleman disease: novel insight into biology pathogenesis and therapy. Blood 2014;123(19):2924–2933.
18. Bower M, Pria AD, Coyle C, etl al. Diagnostic criteria schemes for multicentric Castleman disease in 75 cases. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2014;65(2):e80–e82.
19. Cronin DM, Warnke RA. Castleman disease: an update on classification and the spectrum of associated lesions. Adv Anat Pathol 2009;16:236–246.
20. Kawabata H, Kadowaki N, Nishikori M, et al. Clinical features and treatment of multicentric Castleman‘s disease: a retrospective study of 21 Japanese patients at a single institute. J Clin Exp Hematop 2013;53(1):69–77.
21. El Karoui K, Vuiblet V, Dion D, et al. Renal involvement in Castleman disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2011;26(2):599–609.
22. Sydor A, Madura M, Wagrowska-Danilewicz M. Amyloid a amyloidosis and renal failure in a course of Castleman disease. Nephrology (Carlton) 2007;12(6):620–621.
23. Leung KT, Wong KM, Choi KS, et al. Multiicentric Castleman‘s disease complicated by secondary renal amyloidosis. Nephrology (Carlton) 2004;9(6):392–393.
24. Dispenzieri A, Buadi FK. A review of POEMS syndrome. Oncology (Williston Park) 2013;27(12):1242–1250.
25. Dispenzieri A. POEMS syndrome: 2014 update on diagnosis, risk-stratification, and management. Am J Hematol 2014;89(2):214–223.
26. Fajgenbaum DC, Rosenbach M, van Rhee F, et al. Eruptive cherry hemangiomatosis associated with multicentric Castleman disease: a case report and diagnostic clue. JAMA Dermatol 2013;149(2):204–208.
27. Ruwan KP, Parakramawansha C, Wijeweera I, et al. A case of POEMS syndrome with mixed hyaline vascular and plasma cell type Castleman‘s disease. Ceylon Med J 2009;54(2):68–69.
28. Misri R, Kharkar V, Dandale A, et al. Multiple capillary hemangiomas: a distinctive lesion of multicentric Castleman‘s disease and POEMS syndrome. Indian J Dermatol Venerol Leprol 2008;74(4):364–366.
29. Garcia T, Dafer R, Hocker S, Schneck M, et al. Recurrent strokes in two patients with POEMS syndrome and Castleman‘s disease. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2007;16(6):278–284.
30. Owens CL, Weir EG, Ali SZ. Cytopathologic findings in „POEMS“ syndrome associated with Castleman disease. Diagn Cytopathol 2007;35(8):512–515.
31. Eisenbarth SC, Colegio OR, Iyer A, Cooper D, Bannykh S, Baehring J. Images in neuro-oncology: a case of POEMS (Polyneuropathy, Organomegaly, Endocrinopathy, Monoclonal protein and Skin changes) in a patient with multicentric Castleman‘s disease. J Neurooncol 2007;81(2):163–165.
32. Huang J, Wang L, Zhou W, Jin J. Hyaline vascular Castleman disease associated with POEMS syndrome and cerebral infarction. Ann Hematol 2007;86(1):59–61.
33. Iwaki N, Fajgenbaum DC, Nabel SCh, et al. Clinicopathological analysis of TAFRO syndrome demonstrates a distinct subtype of HHV-8 negative multicentric Castleman disease. Am J Hematol 2016;91:220–226.
34. Igawa T, Sato Y. TAFRO Syndrome. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2018;32(1):107–118.
35. Dispenzieri A, Armitage JO, Loes MJ, et al. The clinical spectrum of Castleman´s disease. Amer J Hematol 2012;87:997–1002.
36. Szalat R, Munshi NC. Diagnosis of Castleman disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2018;32(1):53–64.
37. van Rhee F, Greenway A, Stone K. Treatment of idiopathic Castleman disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2018;32(1):89–106.
38. Wolf M, Van Offel JF, Van de Velde A, et al. Multicentric plasma cell variant Castleman‘s disease presenting with cutaneous vasculitis and pulmonary parenchymal involvement in a patient with ankylosing spondylitis: case report and review of the literature. Acta Clin Belg 2011;66(4):305–310.
39. Dham A, Peterson BA. Castleman disease. Curr Opin Hematol 2007;14(4):354–359.
40. Peker D, Martinez AE, Schwartz MA, et al. Complete remission in 4 patients with human herpesvirus 8-associated multicentric Castleman disease using rituximab and liposomal doxorubicin, a novel chemotherapy combination. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 2012;10(3):204–206.
41. Hoffmann C, Schmid H, Müller M, et al. Improved outcome with rituximab in patients with HIV-associated multicentric Castleman disease. Blood 2011;118(13):3499–3503.
42. Fragasso A, Mannarella C, Ciancio A, et al. Complete remission and virologic response to combined chemoimmunotherapy (R-CVP) followed by rituximab maintenance in HIV-negative, HHV-8 positive patient with multicentric Castleman disease. Leuk Lymphoma 2008;49(11):2224–2226.
43. Casquero A, Barroso A, Fernández Guerrero ML. Use of rituximab as a salvage therapy for HIV-associated multicentric Castleman disease. Ann Hematol 2006;85(3):185–187.
44. Ide M, Kawachi Y, Izumi Y, et al. Long-term remission in HIV-negative patients with multicentric Castleman‘s disease using rituximab. Eur J Haematol 2006;76(2):119–123.
45. Powles T, Stebbing J, Montoto S, et al. Rituximab as retreatment for rituximab pretreated HIV-associated multicentric Castleman disease. Blood 2007;110(12):4132–4133.
46. Bestawros A, Michel R, Séguin C, Routy JP. Multicentric Castleman‘s disease treated with combination chemotherapy and rituximab in four HIV-positive men: a case series. Am J Hematol 2008;83(6):508–511.
47. Buchler T, Dubash S, Lee V, et al. Rituximab failure in fulminant multicentric HIV/human herpesvirus 8-associated Castleman‘s disease with multiorgan failure: report of two cases. AIDS 2008;22(13):1685–1687.
48.Bower M, Veraitch O, Szydlo R, et al. Cytokine changes during rituximab therapy in HIV-associated multicentric Castleman disease. Blood 2009;113(19):4521–454.
49. Mian H, Leber B. Mixed variant multicentric Castleman disease treated with rituximab: case report. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2010;32(8):622.
50. Lee JP, Kim DK, Oh DY. Successfully treated multicentric Castleman‘s disease with renal thrombotic microangiopathy using rituximab and corticosteroid. Clin Nephrol 2011;75(2):165–170.
51. Gérard L, Bérezné A, Galicier L, et al. Prospective study of rituximab in chemotherapy-dependent human immunodeficiency virus associated multicentric Castleman‘s disease: ANRS 117 CastlemaB Trial. J Clin Oncol 2007;25(22):3350–3356.
52. Gérard L, Michot JM, Burcheri S, et al. Rituximab decreases the risk of lymphoma in patients with HIV-associated multicentric Castleman disease. Blood 2012;119(10):2228–2233.
53. Ramasamy K, Gandhi S, Flowers MT, et al. Rituximab and thalidomide combination therapy for Castleman disease. Brit J Haematol 2012;158:415–429.
54. Stary G, Kohrgruber N, Herneth AM, et al. Complete regression of HIV-associated multicentric Castleman disease treated with rituximab and thalidomide. AIDS 2008;22(10):1232–1234.
55. Fishman SJ, Feins NR, D’Amato RJ, et al. Long-term remission of Crohn’s disease treated with thalidomide: a seminal case report. Angiogenesis 1999;3(3):201–204.
56. Lee FC, Merchant SH. Alleviation of systemic manifestations of multicentric Castleman‘s disease by thalidomide. Am J Hematol 2003;73:48–53.
57. Starkey CR, Joste NE, Lee FC. Near-total resolution of multicentric Castleman disease by prolonged treatment with thalidomide. Am J Hematol 2006;81:303–304.
58. Kim SY, Lee SA, Ryoo HM, et al. Thalidomide for POEMS syndrome. Ann Hematol 2006;85:545–546.
59. Wang X, Ye S, Xiong C, Gao J, Xiao C, Xing X. Successful treatment with bortezomib and thalidomide for POEMS syndrome associated with multicentric mixed-type Castleman‘s disease. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2011;41(10):1221–1224.
60. Menegato MA, Canelles MF, Tonutti E, et al. Remission of nephrotic syndrome after thalidomide therapy in a patient with Castleman‘s disease. Clin Nephrol 2004;61:352–356.
61. Miltenyi Z, Toth J, Gonda A, et al. Successful immunomodulatory therapy in Castleman disease with paraneoplastic pemphigus vulgaris. Pathol Oncol Res 2009;15:375–381.
62. Zhao X, Shi R, Jin X, Zheng J. Diffuse hyperpigmented plaques as cutaneous manifestation of multicentric Castleman disease and treatment with thalidomide: report of three cases. J Am Acad Dermatol 2011;65(2):430–432.
63. Jung CP, Emmerich B, Goebel FD, et al. Successful treatment of a patient with HIV-associated multicentric Castleman disease (MCD) with thalidomide. Am J Hematol 2004;75:176–177.
64. Yoshizaki K, Murayama S, Ito H, et al. The role of interleukin-6 in Castleman disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2018;32(1):23–36.
65. Hess G, Wagner V, Kreft A, et al. Effects of bortezomib on proinflamatory cytokine levels and transfusion dependency in patient with multicentric Castleman disease. Br J Haematol 2006;134:602–605.
66. Sobas MA, Alonso Vence N, Diaz Arias J, et al. Efficacy of bortezomib in refractory form of multicentric Castleman disease associated to POEMS syndrome (MCD-POEMS variant). Ann Hematol 2010;89(2):217–219.
67. Galeotti C, Boucheron A, Guillaume S, et al. Sustained remission of multicentric Castleman disease in children treated with tocilizumab, an anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody. Mol Cancer Ther 2012;11(8):1623–1626.
68. Yuzuriha A, Saitoh T, Koiso H, Mitsui T, et al. Successful treatment of autoimmune hemolytic anemia associated with multicentric Castleman disease by anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody (tocilizumab) therapy. Acta Haematol 2011;126(3):147–150.
69. Higuchi T, Nakanishi T, Takada K, et al. A case of multicentric Castleman‘s disease having lung lesion successfully treated with humanized anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody, tocilizumab. J Korean Med Sci 2010;25(9):1364–1367.
70. Arita Y, Sakata Y, Sudo T, et al. The efficacy of tocilizumab in a patient with pulmonary arterial hypertension associated with Castleman‘s disease. Heart Vessels 2010;25(5):444–447.
71. Song SN, Tomosugi N, Kawabata H, et al. Down-regulation of hepcidin resulting from long-term treatment with an anti-IL-6 receptor antibody (tocilizumab) improves anemia of inflammation in multicentric Castleman disease. Blood 2010;116(18):3627–3634.
72. Nishimoto N, Terao K, Mima T, et al. Mechanisms and pathologic significances in increase in serum interleukin-6 (IL-6) and soluble IL-6 receptor after administration of an anti-IL-6 receptor antibody, tocilizumab, in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and Castleman disease. Blood 2008;112(10):3959–3964.
73. Williams SC. First IL-6-blocking drug nears approval for rare blood disorder. Nat Med 2013;19(10):1193.
74. Robey RC, Mletzko S, Colley C, et al. The use of monoclonal antibodies to treat Castleman‘s disease. Immunotherapy 2014;6(2):211–219.
75. Nagai K, Ueda A, Yamagata K. Successful use of tocilizumab in a case of multicentric Castleman‘s disease and end-stage renal disease. Ther Apher Dial 2014;18(2):210–211.
76. Man L, Goudar RK. Reversal of cardiomyopathy with tocilizumab in a case of HIV-negative Castleman‘s disease. Eur J Haematol 2013;91(3):273–276.
77. Fajgenbaum DC, Shilling D. Castleman disease pathogenesis. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2018;32(1):11–21.
78. Otani N, Morishita Y, Oh I, et al. Successful treatment of a mesangial proliferative glomerulonephritis with interstitial nephritis associated with Castleman‘s disease by an anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody (tocilizumab). Intern Med 2012;51(11):1375–1378.
79. Liu YC, Stone K, van Rhee F. Siltuximab for multicentric Castleman disease. Expert Rev Hematol 2014;9:1–13.
80. van Rhee F, Fayad L, Voorhees P, et al. Siltuximab, a novel anti-interleukin-6 monoclonal antibody, for Castleman‘s disease. J Clin Oncol 2010;28(23):3701–37028.
81. Kurzrock R, Voorhees PM, Casper C, et al. A phase I, open-label study of siltuximab, an anti-IL-6 monoclonal antibody, in patients with B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma, multiple myeloma, or Castleman disease. Clin Cancer Res 2013;19(13):3659–3670.
82. Van Rhee F, Wong RS, Munshi N, et al. Siltuximab for multicentric Castleman´s disease. A randomized double blind placebo controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 2014;15(9):966–974.
83. Van Rhee F, Casper C, Voorhees PM, et al. Phase 2 open labaled multicenter study of long term safety of siltuximab in patients with multicentric Castleman´s disease. Oncotarget 2015;6(30):30408–30419.
84. Galeotti C, Tran TA, Franchi-Abella S, et al. IL-1RA agonist (anakinra) in the treatment of multifocal castleman disease: case report. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2008;30(12):920–924.
85. El-Osta H, Janku F, Kurzrock R. Successful treatment of Castleman‘s disease with interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (anakinra). Mol Cancer Ther 2010;9(6):1485–1488.
86. Jouvray M, Terriou L, Meignin V, et al. Pseudo-adult Still‘s disease, anasarca, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and dysautonomia: An atypical presentation of multicentric Castleman’s disease. Discussion of TAFRO syndrome. Rev Med Interne 2016;37(1):53–57.
87. Repetto L, Jaiprakash MP, Selby PJ, et al. Aggressive angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia (Castleman‘s disease) treated with high dose melphalan and autologous bone marrow transplantation. Hematol Oncol 1986;4(3):213–217.
88. Ganti AK, Pipinos I, Culcea E, et al. Successful hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation in multicentric Castleman disease complicated by POEMS syndrome. Am J Hematol 2005;79(3):206–210.
89. Tal Y, Haber G, Cohen MJ, et al. Autologous stem cell transplantation in a rare multicentric Castleman disease of the plasma cell variant. Int J Hematol 2011;93(5):677–680.
90. Bandera B, Ainsworth C, Shikle J, Rupard E, Roach M. Treatment of unicentric Castleman disease with neoadjuvant rituximab. Chest 2010;138(5):1239–1241.
91. Fitzpatrick PJ, Brown TC. Angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia. Can Med Assoc J 1968;99(25):1259–1262.
92. Nordstrom DG, Tewfik HH, Latourette HB. Plasma cell giant lymph node hyperplasia responding to radiation therapy. Am J Roentgenol 1978;130(1):169–171.
93. Stokes SH, Griffith RC, Thomas PR. Angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia (Castleman’s disease) associated with vertebral destruction. Cancer 1985;56(4):876–879.
94. Weisenburger DD, DeGowin RL, Gibson P, Armitage JO. Remission of giant lymph node hyperplasia with anemia after radiotherapy. Cancer 1979;44(2):457–462.
95. Massey GV, Kornstein MJ, Wahl D, Huang XL, McCrady CW, Carchman RA. Angiofollicular lymph node hyperplasia (Castleman’s disease) in an adolescent female. Clinical and immunologic findings. Cancer 1991;68(6):1365–1372.
96. Veldhuis GJ, van der Leest AH, de Wolf JT, de Vries EG, Vellenga E. A case of localized Castleman’s disease with systemic involvement: treatment and pathogenetic aspects. Ann Hematol 1996;73(1):47–50.
97. Bowne WB, Lewis JJ, Filippa DA, et al. The management of unicentric and multicentric Castleman’s disease: a report of 16 cases and a review of the literature. Cancer 1999;85(3):706–717.
98. Chronowski GM, Ha CS, Wilder RB, Cabanillas F, Manning J, Cox JD. Treatment of unicentric and multicentric Castleman disease and the role of radiotherapy. Cancer 2001;92(3):670–676.
99. Neuhof D, Debus J. Outcome and late complications of radiotherapy in patients with unicentric Castleman disease. Acta Oncol 2006;45(8):1126–1131.
100. Li YM, Liu PH, Zhang YH, et al. Radiotherapy of unicentric mediastinal Castleman’s disease. Chin J Cancer 2011;30(5):351–356.
101. Matthiesen C, Ramgopol R, Seavey J, et al. Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) for the treatment of unicentric Castlemans disease: a case report and review of the use of radiotherapy in the literature. Radiol Oncol 2012;46(3):265–270.
102. Miranda FA, Faria VH, Arruda GV, Silva LG. Radiation therapy in the treatment of unicentric Castleman’s disease. J Bras Pneumol 2013;39(1):116–118.
103. Wong RSM. Unicentric Castleman disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2018;32(1): 65–73.
104. Wu D, Lim MS, Jaffe ES. Pathology of Castleman disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2018;32(1):37–52.