2. Nagtegaal I. D., Quirke P. Colorectal tumour deposits in the mesorectum and pericolon; a critical review. Histopathology, 2007, 51, 141–149.
3. Swedish Rectal Cancer Trial. Local recurrence rate in a randomised multicentre trial of preoperative radiotherapy compared with operation alone in resectable rectal carcinoma. Eur. J. Surg., 1996, 162, 397–402.
4. Gerald, A., Buyse, M., Norlinger, B., et al. Preoperative radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment in rectal cancer. Final results of a randomised study of the European Organisation for Research and regment of Cancer. Ann. Surg., 1988, 208, 606–614.
5. Goldstein, N. S., Turner, J. R. Pericolonic tumour deposits in patiens with T3N+M0 colon adenocarcinomas: markers of reduced disease free survival and intra-abdominal metastases and their implications for TNM classification. Cancer, 2000, 88, 2228–2238.
6. Wang, C, Zhou, Z. G., Wang, Z., et al. Mesorectal spread and micrometastasis of rectal cancer studied with large slice technice and tissue microarray. J. Surg. Oncol., 2005, 91, 167–172.
7. TNM classification of malignant tumours, 6th edn. New York: John Wiley 2002.
8. AJCC staging handbook, 6th edn. New York: Springer 2002.
9. Heald, R. J., Husband, E. M., Ryall, R. D. The mesorectum in rectal cancer surgery-the clue to pelvic recurrence? Br. J. Surg., 1982, 69, 613–616.
10. Harrison, J. C, Dean, P. J., el-Zeky, F., Vander, Z. R. From Dukes through Jass: pathological prognostic indicators in rectal cancer. Hum. Pathol., 1994, 25, 498–505.
11. Tateishi, S., Arima, S., Futami, K., et al. A clinicopathological investigation of ‘tumour nodules’ in colorectal cancer. Surg. Today, 2005, 35, 377–384.
12. Ratto, C., Ricci, R., Rossi, C., Morelli, U., Vecchio, F. M., Doglietto, G. B. Mesorectal microfoci adversely affect the prognosis of patiens with rectal cancer. Dis. Colon Rectum, 2002, 45, 733–742.
13. Ono, C., Yoshinaga, K., Enemoto, M., Sugihara, K. Disconti- nuous rectal cancer spread in the mesorectum and the optimal distal clearance margin in situ. Dis. Colon Rectum, 2002, 45, 744–749.
14. Tocchi, A., Mazzoni, G., Lepre, L., et al. Total mesorectal exci- sion and low rectal anastomosis for the treatment of rectal cancer and prevention of pelvic recurrences. Arch. Surg., 2001, 136, 216–220.
15. Singh, A. K., Myerson, R. J., Birnbaum, E. H., et al. Outcome of patiens with rectal adenocarcinoma and localized pelvic non-nodal metastatic foci. Dis. Colon Rectum, 2000, 43, 1217–1221.
16. Ueno, H., Mochizuki, H. Clinical significance of extrabowel skipped cancer infiltration in rectal cancer. Surg. Today, 1997, 27, 617–622.
17. Ueno, H., Mochizuki, H., Tamakuma, S. Prognostic significance of extranodal microscopic foci discontinuous with primary lesion in rectal cancer. Dis. Colon Rectum, 1998, 41, 55–61.
18. Allen, D. C, Fon, L. J., McAleer, J. J., Irwin, S. T. Pathology of rectal adenocarcinoma following preoperative adjuvant radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Ulster Med. J., 1999, 68, 17–21.
19. Kinoshita, H., Watanabe, T., Yanagisawa, A., Nagawa, H., Kato, Y., Muto, T. Pathological changes of advanced lower-rectal cancer by preoperative radiotherapy. Hepatogastroenterology, 2004, 51, 1362–1366.
20. Law W. L., Chu K. W. Anterior resection for rectal cancer with mesorectal excision: aprospective evaluation of 622 patients. Ann. Surg., 2004, 240, 260–268.
21. Fujita, S., Shimoda, T., Yoshimura, K., Yamamoto, S., Akasu, T., Moriya, Y. Prospective evaluation of prognostic factors in patients with colorectal cancer undergoing curative resection. J. Surg. Oncol., 2003, 84, 127–131.
22. Ueno, H., Hase, K., Mochizuki, H. Criteria for extramural perineural invasion as a prognostic factor in rectal cancer. Br. J. Surg., 2001, 88, 994–1000.
23. Heide, J., Krull, A., Berger, J. Extracapsular spread of nodal metastasis as a prognostic factor in rectal cancer. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 2004, 58, 773–778.