1. Paridaens R, Therasse P, Dirix L et al. First‑line hormonal treatment (HT) for metastatic breast cancer with exemestane or tamoxifen in postmenopausal patients – A randomized phase III trial of the EORTC Breast Group. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 14.
2. Mouridsen H, Sun Y, Gershanovich M et al. Superiority of letrozole to tamoxifen in the first‑line treatment of advanced breast cancer: evidence from metastatic subgroups and a test of functional ability. Oncologist 2004; 9: 489– 496.
3. Thürlimann B, Hess D, Koberle D et al. Anastrozole (‘Arimidex’) versus tamoxifen as first‑line therapy in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer: Results of the double‑blind cross‑ over SAKK trial 21/ 95 – a sub‑study of the TARGET (Tamoxifen or ‘Arimidex’ Randomized Group Efficacy and Tolerability) trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2004; 85: 247– 254.
4. Coombes RC, Hall E, Gibson LJ et al. A randomized trial of exemestane after two to three years of tamoxifen therapy in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 1081– 1092.
5. Thürlimann BJ, Keshaviah A, Mouridsen H et al. BIG 1– 98: randomized double‑blind phase III study to evaluate letrozole versus tamoxifen as adjuvant endocrine therapy for postmenopausal women with receptor‑ positive breast cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2005; 23: 16.
6. Baum M, Buzdar A, Cuzick J et al. Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early‑stage breast cancer: results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) trial efficacy and safety update analysis. Cancer 2003; 98: 1802– 1810.
7. Howell A, Cuzick J, Baum M et al. (ATAC Trialists’ Group). Results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) trial after completion of 5 years’ adjuvant treatment for breast cancer. Lancet 2005; 365: 60– 62.
8. Goss PE, Ingle JN, Martino S et al. Randomized trial of letrozole following tamoxifen as extended adjuvant therapy in receptor‑ positive breast cancer: updated findings from NCIC CTG MA.17. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97: 1262– 1271.
9. Santen RJ, Yue W, Naftolin F et al. The potential of aromatase inhibitors in breast cancer prevention. Endocr Rel Cancer 1999; 6: 235– 243.
10. Goss PE, Strasser K. Aromatase inhibitors in the treatment and prevention of breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 881– 894.
11. Freedman OC, Verma S, Clemons MJ. Pre‑menopusal breast cancer and aromatase inhibitors: treating a new generation of women. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2006; 99: 241– 247.
12. Santen RJ, Martel J, Hoagland F et al. Stromal spindle cells contain aromatase in human breast tumors. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994; 79: 627– 632.
13. Bernstein LM, Larionov AA, Kyshtoobaeva AS et al. Aromatase in breast cancer tissue localization and relationship with reproductive status of patients. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1996; 122: 495– 498.
14. Yue W, Wang JP, Hamilton CJ et al. In situ aromatization enhances breast tumor estradiol levels and cellular proliferation. Cancer Res 1998; 58: 927– 932.
15. Kubatka P, Sadloňová V, Kajo K et al. Preventive effects of letrozole in the model of premenopausal mammary carcinogenesis. Neoplasma 2008; 55: 42– 46.
16. Kubatka P, Sadloňová V, Kajo K et al. Chemopreventive effects of anastrozole in a premenopausal breast cancer model. Anticancer Res 2008; 28: 2819– 2823.
17. Santen RJ, Samojlik E, Wells SA. Resistance of the ovary to blockade of aromatization with aminoglutethimide. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1980; 51: 473– 477.
18. Bulun SE, Sharda G, Rink J et al. Distribution of aromatase P450 transcripts and adipose fibroblasts in the human breast. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996; 91: 1273– 1277.
19. Wysowski DK, Comstock GW, Helsing KJ et al. Sex hormone levels in serum in relation to the development of breast cancer. Am J Epidemiol 1987; 125: 791– 799.
20. Berrino F, Muti P, Micheli A et al. Serum sex hormone levels after menopause and subsequent breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1996; 88: 291– 296.
21. Roche HH, Thierry D, Chieze S et al. Anastrozole and goserelin combination as first treatment for premenopausal receptor positive advanced or metastatic breast cancer: A phase II trial. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27 (15 Suppl): 1079.
22. Li HZ, Chen XN, Qiao J. Letrozole as primary therapy for endometrial hyperplasia in young women. Int J Gyn Obst 2008; 100: 10– 12.
23. Attar E, Bulun SE. Aromatase inhibitors: the next generation of therapeutics for endometriosis? Fert Steril 2006; 85: 1307– 1318.
24. Cortinez A, De Carvalho I, Vantman D et al. Hormonal profile and endometrial morphology in letrozole‑ controlled ovarian hyperstimulation in ovulatory infertile patients. Fert Steril 2005; 83: 110– 115.
25. Fentiman IS. Optimising adjuvant endocrine treatment of breast cancer with aromatase inhibitors. Int J Clin Pract 2006; 60: 689– 693.
26. Geisler J. Breast cancer tissue estrogens and their manipulations with aromatase inhibitors and inactivators. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2003; 86: 245– 253.
27. Thijssen JH. Local biosynthesis and metabolism of oestrogens in the human breast. Maturitas 2004; 49: 25– 33.
28. Miller WR, Stuart M, Sahmoud T et al. Anastrozole (‘Arimidex’) blocks oestrogen synthesis both peripherally and within the breast in postmenopausal women with large operable breast cancer. Br J Cancer 2002; 87: 950– 955.
29. Geisler J, Detre S, Berntsen H et al. Influence of neoadjuvant anastrozole (Arimidex) on intratumoral estrogen levels and proliferation markers in patients with locally advanced breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7: 1230– 1236.
30. Esteban JM, Warsi Z, Haniu M et al. Detection of intratumoral aromatase in breast carcinomas. An immunohistochemical study with clinicopathologic correlation. Am J Pathol 1992; 140: 337– 343.
31. Sadloňova V, Kubatka P, Kajo K. Side effects of anastrozole in the experimental pre‑menopausal mammary carcinogenesis. Neoplasma 2009; 56: 124– 129.
32. Iino Y, Karakida T, Sugamata N et al. Antitumor effects of SEF19, a new nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitor, on 7,12- dimethylbenz(a)anthracene‑induced mammary tumors in rats. Anticancer Res 1998; 18: 171– 176.
33. Kumru S, Yildiz AA, Yilmaz B et al. Effects of aromatase inhibitors letrozole and anastrozole on bone metabolism and steroid hormone levels in intact female rats. Gyn Endocrinol 2007; 23: 556– 561.
34. Iveson TJ, Smith IE, Ahern J et al. 1993 Phase I study of the oral nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitor CGS 20267 in healthy postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1993; 77: 316– 318.
35. Dowsett M, Stein RC, Mehta A et al. Potency and selectivity of the non‑steroidal aromatase inhibitor CGS 16949A in postmenopausal breast cancer patients. Clin Endocrinol 1990; 32: 623– 634.
36. Kendall A, Dowsett M. Novel concepts for the chemoprevention of breast cancer through aromatase inhibition. End Rel Cancer 2006; 13: 827– 837.
37. Jannuzzo MG, Di Salle E, Spinelli R et al. Estrogen suppression in premenopausal women following 8 weeks of treatment with exemestane and triptorelin versus triptorelin alone. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2009; 113: 491– 499.
38. Dowsett M, Haynes BP. Hormonal effects of aromatase inhibitors: focus on premenopausal effects and interaction with tamoxifen. J Steroid Bioch Mol Biol 2003; 86: 255– 263.