1. Li R, Zhang P, Barker LE et al. Cost-effectiveness of interventions to prevent and control diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Diabetes Care 2010; 33: 1872–1894.
2. Keating CL, Dixon JB, Moodie ML et al. Cost-efficacy of surgically induced weight loss for the management of type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care 2009; 32: 580–584.
3. Hoerger TJ, Zhang P, Segel JE et al. Cost-effectiveness of bariatric surgery for severely obese adults with diabetes. Diabetes Care 2010; 33: 1933–1939.
4. Kremen AJ, Linner JH, Nelson CH. An experimental evaluation of the nutritional importance of proximal and distal small intestine. Am Surg 1954; 140: 439–448.
5. Buchwald H, Rucker RD. The history of metabolic surgery for morbid obesity and a commentary. World J Surg 1981; 5: 781–787.
6. Mason EE, Ito C. Gastric bypass in obesity. Surg Clin North Am 1967; 47: 1345–1351.
7. Pešková M, Šonka J, Sucharda P. Gastroplastika k redukci tělesné hmotnosti. Čas Lék Česk 1987; 126: 847–850.
8. Fried M. Moderní chirurgické metody léčby obezity. Praha: Grada Publishig 2005.
9. Scopinaro N, Gianetta E, Civalleri D et al. Two years of clinical experience with biliopancreatic bypass for obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 1980; 33 (2 Suppl): 506–514.
10. Baltasar A, Serra C, Pérez N et al. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a multi-purpose bariatric operation. Obes Surg 2005; 15: 1124–1128.
11. Ramos A, Galvao Neto M, Galvao M et al. Laparoscopic greater curvature plication: initial results of an alternative restrictive bariatric procedure. Obes Surg 2010; 20: 913–918.
12. Buchwald H. Lowering of cholesterol absorption and blood levels by ileal exclusion: experimental basis and preliminary clinical report. Circulation 1964; 29: 713–720.
13. Buchwald H, Varco RL (eds). Metabolic surgery. New York: Grune & Stratton 1978.
14. Scopinaro N, Papadia F, Marinari G et al. Long-term control of type 2 diabetes mellitus and the other major components of the metabolic syndrome after biliopancreatic diversion in patients with BMI < 35 kg/m2. Obes Surg 2007; 17: 185–192.
15. Fried M, Ribaric G, Buchwald JN et al. Metabolic surgery for the treatment of type 2 diabetes in patients with BMI < 35 kg/m2: an integrative review of early studies. Obes Surg 2010; 20: 776–790.
16. Ackerman NB. Observations on the improvements in carbohydrate metabolism in diabetic and other morbidly obese patients after jejunoileal bypass. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1981; 152: 581–586.
17. Pories WJ, Caro JF, Flickinger EG et al. The control of diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) in the morbidly obese with the Greenville Gastric Bypass. Ann Surg 1987; 206: 316–323.
18. Pories WJ, MacDonald KG Jr, Flickinger EG et al. Is type II diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) a surgical disease? Ann Surg 1992; 215: 633–642.
19. Pories WJ, Swanson MS, MacDonald KG et al. Who would have thought it? An operation proves to be the most effective therapy for adult-onset diabetes mellitus. Ann Surg 1995; 222: 339–350.
20. Sjöström L, Narbro K, Sjöström CD et al. Swedish Obese Subjects Study. Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 741–752.
21. Sjöström L, Lindroos AK, Peltonen M et al. Swedish Obese Subjects Study Scientific Group. Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 2683–2693.
22. Adams TD, Gress RE, Smith SC et al. Long-term mortality after gastric bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 753–761.
23. Adrian TE, Denham EW, Prystowsky JB. The gut hormones and their roles in obesity and gastric restrictive surgery. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes 2003; 10: 322–329.
24. Ashrafian H, le Roux CW. Metabolic surgery and gut hormones – A review of bariatric entero-humoral modulation. Physiol Behav 2009; 97: 620–631.
25. Knop FK, Vilsbøll T, Højberg PV et al. Reduced incretin effect in type 2 diabetes: cause or consequence of the diabetic state? Diabetes 2007; 56: 1951–1959.
26. Gault VA, Irwin N, Green BD et al. Chemical ablation of gastric inhibitory polypeptide receptor action by daily (Pro3)GIP administration improves glucose tolerance and ameliorates insulin resistance and abnormalities of islet structure in obesity-related diabetes. Diabetes 2005; 54: 2436–2446.
27. Irwin N, McClean PL, Patterson S et al. Active immunisation against gastric inhibitory polypeptide (GIP) improves blood glucose control in an animal model of obesity-diabetes. Biol Chem 2009; 390: 75–80.
28. Rubino F, Gagner M. Potential of surgery for curing type 2 diabetes mellitus. Ann Surg 2002; 236: 554–559.
29. Rubino F, Forgione A, Cummings DE et al. The mechanism of diabetes control after gastrointestinal bypass surgery reveals a role of the proximal small intestine in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes. Ann Surg 2006; 244: 741–749.
30. Rodriguez-Grunert L, Galvao Neto MP, Alamo M et al. First human experiance with endoscopically delivered and retrieved duodenal-jejunal bypass sleeve. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2008; 4: 55–59.
31. Schouten R, Rijs CS, Bouvy ND et al. A multicenter, randomized efficacy study of the EndoBarrier Gastrointestinal Liner for presurgical weight loss prior to bariatric surgery. Ann Surg 2010; 251: 236–243.
32. DePaula AL, Stival AR, Halpern A et al. Surgical treatment of morbid obesity: mid-term outcomes of the laparoscopic ileal interposition associated to a sleeve gastrectomy in 120 Patients. Obes Surg 2010 Jul 23. [Epub ahead of print].
33. Flatt PR. Effective surgical treatment of obesity may be mediated by ablation of the lipogenic gut hormone gastric inhibitory polypeptide (GIP): evidence and clinical opportunity for development of new obesity-diabetes drugs? Diab Vasc Dis Res 2007; 4: 151–153.
34. Flatt PR. Dorothy Hodgkin Lecture 2008. Gastric inhibitory polypeptide (GIP) revisited: a new therapeutic target for obesity-diabetes? Diabet Med 2008; 25: 759–764.
35. Knop FK. Resolution of type 2 diabetes following gastric bypass surgery: involvement of gut-derived glucagon and glucagonotropic signalling? Diabetologia 2009; 52: 2270–2276.
36. Buchwald H, Estok R, Fahrbach K et al. Weight and type 2 diabetes after bariatric surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med 2009; 122: 248–256.
37. Rubino F, Schauer PR, Kaplan LM et al. Metabolic surgery to treat type 2 diabetes: Clinical Outcomes and mechanisms of action. Annu Rev Med 2010; 61: 393–411.
38. Vetter ML, Cardillo S, Rickels MR et al. Narrative review: effect of bariatric surgery on type 2 diabetes mellitus. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150: 94–103.
39. Hussain A, Mahmood H, El-Hasani S. Can Roux-en-Y gastric bypass provide a lifelong solution for diabetes mellitus? Can J Surg 2009; 52: E269–E275.
40. Kashyap SR, Gatmaitan P, Brethauer S et al. Bariatric surgery for type 2 diabetes: weighing the impact for obese patients. Cleve Clin J Med 2010; 77: 468–476.
41. Gill RS, Birch DW, Shi X et al. Sleeve gastrectomy and type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2010; 6: 707–713.
42. Fried M, Hainer V, Basdevant A et al. Interdisciplinární evropská závazná doporučení pro chirurgickou léčbu těžké obezity. Vnitř Lék 2008; 54: 421–429.
43. American Diabetes Association. Executive summary: Standards of medical care in diabetes – 2010. Diabetes Care 2010; 33 (Suppl 1): S4–S10.
44. Daousi C, Casson IF, Gill GV et al. Prevalence of obesity in type 2 diabetes in secondary care: association with cardiovascular risk factors. Postgrad Med J 2006; 82: 280–284.
45. Schulman AP, Del Genio F, Sinha N et al. “Metabolic” surgery for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Endocr Pract 2009; 15: 624–631.
46. DePaula AL, Stival AR, DePaula CC et al. Impact on dyslipidemia of the laparoscopic ileal interposition associated to sleeve gastrectomy in type 2 diabetic patients. J Gastrointest Surg 2010; 14: 1319–1325.
47. DePaula AL, Macedo AL, Mota BR et al. Laparoscopic ileal interposition associated to a diverted sleeve gastrectomy is an effective operation for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus patients with BMI 21–29. Surg Endosc 2009; 23: 1313–1320.
48. Pinkney JH, Johnson AB, Gale EA. The big fat bariatric bandwagon. Diabetologia 2010; 53: 1815–1822.
49. DiGiorgi M, Rosen DJ, Choi JJ et al. Re-emergence of diabetes after gastric bypass in patients with mid- to long-term follow-up. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2010; 6: 249–253.
50. Hall TC, Pellen MG, Sedman PC et al. Preoperative factors predicting remission of type 2 diabetes mellitus after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery for obesity. Obes Surg 2010; 20: 1245–1250.