1. Malcovati L, Hellström-Lindberg E, Bowen D, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of primary myelodysplastic syndromes in adults: recommendation from the European LeukemiaNet. Blood 2013; 122(17): 2943–2958.
2. Ria R, Moschetta M, Reale A, et al. Managing myelodysplastic symptoms in elderly patients. Clin Interv Aging 2009; 4: 413–423.
3. Mistrík M, Kubalová S, Masáková L, Bátorová A. Transplantácia krvotvorných buniek pre myelodysplastický syndróm. Onkológia 2014; 9(5): 320–322.
4. Greenberg P, Cox C, LeBeau MM, et al. International scoring system for evaluating prognosis in myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood 1997; 89(6): 2079–2088.
5. Cheson BD, Greenberg PL, Bennett JM, et al. Clinical application and proposal for modification of the International working group (IWG) response criteria in myelodysplasia. Blood 2006; 108(2): 419–425.
6. Malcovati L, Germing U, Kuendgen A, et al. Time-dependent prognostic scoring system for predicting survival and leukemic evolution in myelodysplastic syndromes. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25(23): 3503–3510.
7. List AF, Fenaux P, Mufti GJ, et al. Effect of azacitidine (AZA) on overall survival in higher-risk myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) without complete remission. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26(15): suppl 7006.
8. Lübbert M, Suciu S, Baila L, et al. Low-dose decitabine versus best supportive care in elderly patients with intermediate- or high-risk myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) ineligible for intensive chemotherapy: final results of the randomized phase III study of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Leukemia Group and the German MDS Study Group. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29(15): 1987–1996.
9. Hellström-Lindberg E, Gulbrandsen N, Lindberg G, et al. A validated decision model for treating the anaemia of myelodysplastic syndromes with erythropoietin + granulocyte colony-stimulating factor: significant effects on quality of life. Br J Haematol 2003; 120(6): 1037–1046.
10. Casadevall N, Durieux P, Dubois S, et al. Health, economic, and quality-of-life effects of erythropoietin and granulocyte colonystimulating factor for the treatment of myelodysplastic syndromes: a randomized, controlled trial. Blood 2004;104(2): 321–327.
11. Balleari E, Rossi E, Clavio M, et al. Erythropoietin plus granulocyte colonystimulating factor is better than erythropoietin alone to treat anemia in low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes: results from a randomized singlecentre study. Ann Hematol 2006;85(3): 174–180.
12. Malcovati L, Porta MG, Pascutto C, et al. Prognostic factors and life expectancy in myelodysplastic syndromes classified according to WHO criteria: a basis for clinical decision making. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23(30): 7594–7603.
13. Metzgeroth G, Dinter D, Schultheis B, et al. Deferasirox in MDS patients with transfusion-caused iron overload a-phase-II study. Ann Hematol 2009; 88(4): 301–310.
14. Pullarkat V. Objectives of iron chelation therapy in myelodysplastic syndromes: more than meets the eye? Blood 2009; 114(26): 5251–5255.
15. Bulen JJ, Rogers HJ, Spalding PB, et al. Natural resistance, iron and infection: a challenge for clinical medicine. J Med Microbiol 2006; 55(3): 251–258.
16. Lucioni C, Finelli C, Mazzi S, et al. Costs and quality of life in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Am J Blood Res 2013; 3(3): 246–259.
17. EORTC QLQ-C30. Available online: http://groups.eortc.be/qol/eortc-qlq-c30.
18. Caocci G, Baccoli R, Ledda A, et al. A mathematical model for the evaluation of amplitude of hemoglobin fluctuations in elderly anemic patients affected by myelodysplastic syndromes: correlation with quality of life and fatigue. Leuk Res 2007; 31: 249–252.
19. Goldberg SL, Chen E, Sasane M, Paley C, Guo A, Laouri M. Economic impact on US Medicare of a new diagnosis of myelodysplastic syndromes and the incremental costs associated with blood transfusion need. Tranfusion 2012; 52(10): 2131–2138.
20. Greenberg PL, Cosler LE, Ferro SA, Lyman GH. The costs of drugs used to treat myelodysplastic syndromes following National Comprehensive Cancer Network Guidelines. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2008;6: 942–953.
21. Brereton N, Nicklasson L, Mufti GJ. UK estimate of burden of disease associated with management of intermediate-2 or higher-risk myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood 2011; 118(21): Abstract 4749.
22. Santini V, Sanna A, Bosi A, et al. An observational multicenter study to assess the cost of illness and quality of life in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes in Italy. Blood 2011; 118(21): Abstract 1023.
23. Frytak JR, Henk HJ, De Castro CM, et al. Estimation of economic costs associated with transfusion dependence in adults with MDS. Curr Med Res Opin 2009; 25: 1941–1951.
24. Almyroudis N, Segal BH. Antibacterial prophylaxis in patients with cancer and neutropenia. N Engl J Med 2006;354(1): 90–94.
25. Baden L. Prophylactic antimicrobial agents and the importance of fitness. N Engl J Med 2005; 353(10): 1052–1054.
26. Alanio A, Cordonnier C, Bretagne S. Azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus – current epidemiology and future perspectives. Curr Fungal Infect Rep 2011; 5: 168–178.
27. Howard S, Cerar D, Anderson M, et al. Frequency and evolution of azole resistance in Aspergillus fumigatus associated with treatment failure. Emerg Infect Dis 2009; 15(7): 1068–1076.