1. Gattiker HH, Wiltshaw E, Galton DA. Spontaneous regression in non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Cancer 1980; 45: 2627-32.
2. Tan D, Horning SJ. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2008; 22: 863-82.
3. Montoto S, Davies AJ, Matthews J, et al. Risk and clinical implications of transformation of follicular lymphoma to diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 2426-33.
4. Mandingers CM, Verdonck LF, Meijerink JP, et al. Graft-versus-lymphoma effect of donor lymphocyte infusion in indolent lymphomas relapsed after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant 2003; 32: 1159-63.
5. Janikova A, Mayer J, Kren L, et al. The persistence of t(14;18)-bearing cells in lymph nodes of patients with follicular lymphoma in complete remission: the evidence for ‚a lymphoma stem cell‘. Leuk Lymphoma 2009; 50: 1102-9.
6. Dave SS, Wright G, Tan B, et al. Prediction of survival in follicular lymphoma based on molecular features of tumor-infiltrating immune cells. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 2159-69.
7. Paraskevas F. Lymphocytes and lymphatic organs. In: Wintrobeęs Clinical Hematology – 12th ed./ Greer JP eds., Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia 2009.
8. Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Hartus NL, et al. Follicular lymphoma. In: WHO classification of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. International Agency for Research on Cancer: Lyon, 2008.
9. Bakhshi A, Wright JJ, Graninger W, et al. Mechanism of the t(14;18) chromosomal translocation: structural analysis of both derivative 14 and 18 reciprocal partners. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1987; 84: 2396-400.
10. Cleary ML, Sklar J. Nucleoside sequence of a t(14;18) chromosomal breakpoint in follicular lymphoma and demonstration of breakpoint-cluster region near a transcriptionally active locus on chromosome 18. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1985; 82: 7439-43.
11. Tsujimoto Y, Croce CM. Analysis of the structure, transcripts, and protein products of bcl-2, the gene involved in human follicular lymphoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1986; 83: 5214-18.
12. Limpens J, Stad R, Vos C, et al. Lymphoma-associated translocation t(14;18) in blood B-cells of normal individuals. Blood 1995; 85: 2528-36.
13. Meijerink JPP. t(14;18), a journey to eternity. Leukemia 1998; 11: 2175-87.
14. Papajík T, Jedličková K, Kriegová E, et al. Polymerase chain reaction detection of cells carrying t(14;18) in bone marrow of patients with follicular and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: the importance of analysis at diagnosis and significance of long term follow-up. Neoplasma 2001; 6: 501-5.
15. McDonnell TJ, Deane N, Platt FM, et al. Bcl-2-immunoglobulin transgenic mice demonstrate extended B cell survival and follicular lymphoproliferation. Cell 1989; 57: 79-88.
16. Roulland S, Navarro JM, Grenot P, et al. Follicular lymphoma-like B cells in healthy individuals: a novel intermediate step in early lymphomagenesis. J Exp Med 2006; 203: 2425-31.
17. Martinez-Climent JA, Alizadeh AA, Segraves R, et al. Transformation of follicular lymphoma to diffuse large cell lymphoma is associated with a heterogeneous set of DNA copy number and gene expression alterations. Blood 2003; 101: 3109-17.
18. Horsman DE, Connors JM, Pantzar T, et al. Analysis of secondary chromosomal alterations in 165 cases of follicular lymphoma with t(14;18). Gen Chrom Cancer 2001; 30: 375-82.
19. Yunis JJ, Frizzera G, Oken MM, et al. Multiple recurrent genomic defects in follicular lymphoma: a possible model for cancer. N Engl J Med 1987; 316: 79-84.
20. Jardin F, Gaulard P, Buchonnet G, et al. Follicular lymphoma without t(14;18) and with bcl-6 rearrangement: a lymphoma subtype with distinct pathological, molecular and clinical characteristics. Leukemia 2002; 16: 2309-17.
21. Katzenberger T, Kalla J, Leich E, et al. A distinctive subtype of t(14;18)-negative nodal follicular lymphoma non-Hodgkin lymphoma characterized by a predominantly diffuse growth pattern and deletions in the chromosomal region 1p36. Blood 2009; 113: 1053-61.
22. Goval JJ, Thielen C, Bourguignon C, et al. The prevention of spontaneous apoptosis of follicular lymphoma B cells by a follicular dendritic cell line: involvement of caspase-3, caspase-8 and c-FLIP. Haematologica 2008; 93: 1169-77.
23. Kagami Y, Jung J, Choi YS, et al. Establishment of a follicular lymphoma cell line (FLK-1) dependent on follicular dendritic cell-like cell line HK. Leukemia 2001; 15: 148-56.
24. Carbone A, Gloghini A, Gruss HJ, et al. CD40 ligand is constitutively expressed in a subset of T cell lymphomas and on the microenvironmental reactive T cells of follicular lymphomas and Hodgkinęs disease. Am J Pathol 1995; 147: 912-22.
25. Ray S, Craig FE, Swerdlow SH. Abnormal patterns of antigenic expression in follicular lymphoma: a flow cytometric study. Am J Clin Pathol 2005; 124: 576-83.
26. Hedvat CV, Hegde A, Chaganti RSK, et al. Application of tissue microarray technology to the study of Non-Hodgkinęs and Hodgkinęs lymphoma. Hum Pathol 2002; 33: 968-74.
27. Park CS, Choi YS. How do follicular dendritic cells interact intimately with B cells in the germinal centre? Immunology 2005; 114: 2-10.
28. Edwards JC, Szcepanski L, Szechinski J, et al. Efficacy of B-cell-targeted therapy with rituximab in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 2572-81.
29. Shaw T, Juan J, Totoritis MC. B cell therapy for rheumatoid arthritis: the rituximab (anti-CD20) experience. Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62(Suppl 2): 55-9.
30. Glas AM, Knoops L, Delahaye L, et al. Gene-expression and Immunohistochemical Study of specific T-cell subsets and accessory cell types in the transformation and prognosis of follicular lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 390-8.
31. Klapper W, Hoster E, Rölver L, et al. Tumor sclerosis but not cell proliferation or malignancy grade is a prognostic marker in advanced-stage follicular lymphoma: the German Low Grade Lymphoma Study Group. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 3330-6.
32. De Jong D, Koster A, Hagenbeek A, et al. Impact of the tumor microenvironment on prognosis in follicular lymphoma is dependent on specific treatment protocols. Haematologica 2009; 94: 70-7.
33. Schmitter D, Koss M, Niederer E, et al. T-cell derived cytokines co-stimulate proliferation of CD40-activated germinal centre as well as follicular lymphoma cells. Hematol Oncol 1997; 15: 197-207.
34. Lee AM, Clear AJ, Calaminici M, et al. Number of CD4+ cells and location of Fork head Box Protein P3-positive cells in diagnostic follicular lymphoma tissue microarrays correlates with outcome. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 5052-9.
35. Alvaro T, Lejeune M, Salvado MT, et al. Immunohistochemical patterns of reactive microenvironment are associated with clinicobiologic behavior in follicular lymphoma patients. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 5350-7.
36. Carreras J, Lopez-Guillermo A, Fox BC, et al. High numbers of tumor-infiltrating FOXP3-positive regulatory T cells are associated with improved overall survival in follicular lymphoma. Blood 2006; 108: 2957-64.
37. Farinha P, Masoudi H, Skinnider BF, et al. Analysis of multiple biomarkers shows that lymphoma-associated macrophage (LAM) content is an independent predictor of survival in follicular lymphoma (FL). Blood 2005; 106: 2169-74.
38. Lee AM, Clear AJ, Morris KJ, et al. The impact of tumor microenvironment in diagnostic follicular lymphoma samples using tissue microarrays. Ann Oncol 2008; 19 (Suppl 4): 126 (abstr No 131).
39. Roncador G, Brown PJ, Maestre L, et al. Analysis of FOXP3 protein expression in human CD4_CD25_regulatory T cells at the single-cell level. Eur J Immunol 2005; 35: 1681-91.
40. Curiel TJ, Coukos G, Zou L, et al. Specific recruitment of regulatory T cells in ovarian carcinoma fosters immune privilege and predicts reduced survival. Nat Med 2004; 10: 942-9.
41. Tzankov A, Meier C, Hirschmann P, et al. Correlation of high numbers of intratumoral FOXP3+ regulatory T cells with improved survival in germinal center-like diffuse large B-cell lymphoma, follicular lymphoma and classical Hodgkinęs lymphoma. Haematologica 2008; 93: 193-200.
42. Kelley T, Beck R, Absi A, et al. Biologic predictors in follicular lymphoma: importance of markers of immune response. Leuk Lymphoma 2007; 48: 2403-11.
43. Delfs MW, Furukawa Y, Mitchel RN, et al. CD8+ T cell subsets TC1 and TC2 cause different histopathologic forms of murine cardiac allograft rejection. Transplantation 2001; 71: 606-10.
44. Zou W. Regulatory T cells, tumor immunity and immunotherapy. Nat Rev Immunol 2006; 6: 295-307.
45. Wahlin BE, Sander B, Christensson B, et al. CD8+ T-cell content in diagnostic lymph nodes measured by flow cytometry is a predictor of survival in follicular lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 388-97.
46. Alvaro T, Lejeune M, Camacho FI, et al. The presence of STAT1-positive tumor-associated macrophages and their relation to outcome in patients with follicular lymphoma. Haematologica 2006; 91: 1605-12.
47. Mantovani A, Sozzani S, Locati M, Allavena P, Sica A. Macrophage polarization: tumor-associated macrophages as a paradigm for polarized M2 mononuclear phagocytes. Trends Immunol 2002; 23: 549-55.
48. Canioni D, Salles G, Mounier N, et al. High numbers of tumor-associated macrophages have an adverse prognostic value that can be circumvented by rituximab in patients with follicular lymphoma enrolled onto the GELA-GOELAMS FL-2000 trial. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26: 440-6.
49. Taskinen M, Karjalainen-Lindsberg Ml, Nyman H, et al. A high tumor-associated macrophage content predicts favorable outcome in follicular lymphoma patients treated with rituximab and cyclophosphamide-doxorubicin-vincristin-prednisone. Clin Cancer Res 2007; 13: 5784-9.
50. Carreras J, Guillermo AL, Roncador G, et al. High numbers of tumor-infiltrating programmed cell death 1-positive regulatory lymphocytes are associated with improved overall survival in follicular lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27: 1470-6.
51. Taskinen M, Karjalainen-Lindsberg ML, Leppä S. Prognostic influence of tumor-infiltrating mast cells in patients with follicular lymphoma treated with rituximab and CHOP. Blood 2008; 111: 4664-7.
52. Hilchey SP, Hyrien O, Mosmann TR, et al. Rituximab immunotherapy results in the induction of a lymphoma idiotype-specific T-cell response in patients with follicular lymphoma: support for a „vaccinal effect“ of rituximab. Blood 2009; 113: 3809-12.
53. Knoops L, Haas R, de Kemp S, et al. In vivo p53 response and immune reaction underlie highly effective low-dose radiotherapy in follicular lymphoma.Blood 2007; 110: 1116-22.