1. North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators.. Benefit of carotid endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic moderate or severe stenosis. N. Eng. J. Med., 1998; 339: 1415–1425.
2. European Carotid Surgery Trialists Collaborative Group. European carotid surgery trial: interim results for symptomatic patients with severe (70-99%) or with mild (0-29%) carotid stenosis. Lancet, 1991; 337: 1235–1243.
3. Asymptomatic Carotid Artery Atherosclerosis Study Group. Endarterectomy for Asymptomatic Carotid Artery Stenosis. JAMA, 1995; 273: 1421–1428.
4. MRC Asymptomatic Carotid Surgery Trial (ACST) Collaborative Group. Prevention of disabling and fatal strokes by succesfull carotid endarterectomy in patients without recent neurological symptoms: randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 2004; 363: 915–924.
5. AHA/ASA Guidelines. Guidelines for prevention of stroke in patients with ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack. Stroke, 2006; 37: 577–654.
6. Faggiolli, G. L., Curl, G. R., Ricotta, J. J. The role of carotid screening before coronary artery bypass. J. Vasc. Surg., 1990; 12: 722–729.
7. Reul, G. J., Cooley, D. A., Duncan, J. M. The effect of coronary artery bypass on the outcome of peripheral vascular operation in 1903 patients. J. Vasc. Surg., 1986; 3: 788–798.
8. Brener, B. J., Brief, D. K., Alpert, J., et al. A four-year experience with preoperative noninvasive carotid evaluation of two-thousand twenty-six patients undergoing cardiac surgery. J. Vasc. Surg., 1984; 1: 326–338.
9. Hertzer, N. R., Young, J. R., Breven, E. G., et al. Coronary angiography in 506 patients with extracranial cerebrovascular disease. Arch. Int. Med., 1985; 145: 849–851.
10. Hertzer, N. R., Loop, F. D., Beven, E. G., et al. Surgical staging for simultaneous coronary and carotid disease: a study including prospective randomization. J. Vasc. Surg., 1989: 455–463.
11. Ricotta, J. J., O‘Brien, M. S. Late cardiac event after carotid endarterectomy. Stroke, 1996; 27: 4.
12. Ricotta, J. J., Fagiolli, G. Management of concomintant coronary bypass and carotid reconstruction. In: Loftus, C. M., Kresowik, T. E. Carotid artery surgery. New York: 2000; Thieme Medical Publishers; p 137–146.
13. Berens, E. S., Kochoukos, N. T., Murphy, S. F., Wareing, T. H. Preoperative carotid artery screening in elderly patients undergoing cardiac surgery. J. Vasc. Surg., 1992; 15: 313–323.
14. Shaw, P. J., Bates, D., Cartlidge, D. E. F. Early neurological complications of coronary artery bypass surgery. Br. J. Med., 1985; 29: 1384–1387.
15. Likosky, D. S., Caplan, L. R., Weintraub, R. M., Hartman, G. S, Malenka, D. J., Ross, C. S., et al. Northern New England Cardiovascular Disease Study Group, Lebanon, New Hampshire. Intraoperative and postoperative variables associated with stroke following cardiac surgery. Heart Surg. Forum, 2004; 7: E 27l–276.
16. Hertzer, N. R. Basic data concerning associated coronary disease in peripheral vascular patients. Ann. Vasc. Surg., 1987; 1: 616–620.
17. Borger, M. A., Fremes, S. E. Management of patients with concomitant coronary and carotid vascular disease. Semin. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., 2001; 13: 192–198.
18. D‘Agostino, R. S., Svensson, L. G., Neumann, D. J. Screening carotid ultrasonography and risk factors for stroke in coronary artery patients. Ann. Thorac. Surg., 2001; 62: 1714–1723.
19. Brener, B. M., Hermans, H., Eisenbud, D., et al. The management of patients requiring coronary bypass and carotid endarterectomy. In: Moore, W. S, ed. Surgery for cerebrovascular disease. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders, 1996: p. 278–287.
20. Reule, G. J., Cooley, D. A., Duncan, J. M., et al. The effect of coronary bypass on the outcome of peripheral vascular operations in 1093 patients. J. Vasc. Surg., 1986; 3: 788–798.
21. Carrel, T., Stilhard, G., Turina, M. Combined carotid and coronary artery surgery: early and late results. Cardiology, 1992; 80: 118–125.
22. Hertzer, N. R., Loop, F. D., Beven, E. G., et al. Surgical staging for simultaneous coronary and carotid disease: a study including prospective randomization. J. Vasc. Surg., 1989; 9: 455–463.
23. Newman, D. C., Hicks, R., Horton, D. A. Coexisting carotid and coronary artery disease. J. Cardiovasc. Surg., 1987; 28: 599–606.
24. Rosenthal, D., Caudill, D. R., Lamis, P. A., et al. Carotid and coronary arteryy disease: a rational approach. Am. Surg., 1984; 50: 233–235.
25. Bernhard, V. M., Johnson, W. D., Peterson, J. J. Carotid artery stenosis. Association with surgery for coronary artery disease. Arch. Surg., 1972; 105: 837–840.
26. Trachiotis, G. D., Pfister, A. J. Management strategy for simultaneous carotid endarterectomy and coronary revascularization. Ann. Thorac. Surg., 1992; 64: 1113–1118.
27. Evangelopoulos, N., Trenz, M. T., Beckmann, A., Krian, T. Simultaneous carotid endarterectomy and coronary artery bypass grafting in 313 patients. Cardiovasc. Surg., 2000; 8: 31–40.
28. Rizzo, R. J., Whithemoore, A. D., Couper, G. S., et al. Combined carotid and coronary revascularization: the preferred approach to the severe vasculopathy. Ann. Thorac. Surg., 1992; 54: 1099–1109.
29. Kohl, P. H., Comte, L., Tchana-Sato, V., Honore, C., Kerzmann, A., Mauer, M., Limet, R. Concurrent coronary and carotid surgery: factors influencing perioperative outcome and long-term results. European Heart Journal, 2006; 27: 49–56.
30. Akins, C. A., Moncure, A. C., Daggett, W. M., et al. Safety and efficacy of concomitant carotid and coronary artery operations. Ann. Thorac. Surg., 1995; 60: 311–318.
31. Daily, P. O., Freeman, R. K., Dembitsky, W. P., et al. Cost reduction by combined carotid endarterectomy and coronary artery grafting. J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg., 1996; 111: 1185–1193.
32. Byrne, J., Darling, R. C., Roddy, S. P., Mehta, M., Patty, P. S. K., Kreienberg, P. B., Chang, B. B., et al. Combined carotid endarterectomy and coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with asymptomatic high-grade stenoses: An analysis of 758 patients. J. Vasc. Surg., 2006; 72: 67–72.
33. Naylor, R., Cuffe, R. L., Rothwell, P. M., Loftus, I. M., Bell, P. R. F. A systemic review of outcome following synchronous carotid endarterectomy and coronary artery bypass: influence of surgical and patients variables. Eur. J. Vasc. and Endovasc. Surg., 2003; 26: 230–241.