1. International Hypoglycaemia Study Group. Glucose concentrations of less than 3.0 mmol/L (54 mg/dL) should be reported in clinical trials: a joint position statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2017; 40(1): 155–157.
2. International Hypoglycemia Study Group: Minimizing hypoglycemia in diabetes. Diabetes Care 2015; 38: 1583–1591.
3. Rizza RA, Cryer PE, Gerich JE. Role of glucagon, catecholamines, and growth hormone in human glucose counterregulation. Effects of somatostatin and combined alpha- and beta-adrenergic blockade on plasma glucose recovery and glucose flux rates after insulin-induced hypoglycemia. J Clin Invest 1979; 64: 62–71.
4. McAulay V, Deary IJ, Frier BM. Symptoms of hypoglycaemia in people with diabetes. Diabet Med 2001; 18: 690–705.
5. de Galan BE, Schouwenberg BJ, Tack CJ, et al. Pathophysiology and management of recurrent hypoglycaemia and hypoglycaemia unawareness in diabetes. Neth J Med 2006; 64: 269–279.
6. Moghissi E, Ismail-Beigi F, Devine RC. Hypoglycemia: minimizing its impact in type 2 diabetes. Endocr Pract 2013; 19: 526–535.
7. Gerstein HC, Miller ME, Byington RP, et al. Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 2545–2559.
8. Cryer PE. The barrier of hypoglycemia in diabetes. Diabetes 2008; 57: 3169–3176.
9. Martín-Timón I, del Cañizo-Gómez FJ. Mechanisms of hypoglycemia unawareness and implications in diabetic patients. World J Diabetes 2015; 6: 912–926.
10. Gold AE, MacLeod KM, Frier BM. Frequency of severe hypoglycemia in patients with type 1 diabetes and impaired awareness of hypoglycemia. Diabetes Care 1994; 17: 697–703.
11. McCoy RG, Van Houten HK. Increased mortality of patients with diabetes reporting severe hypoglycemia. Diabetes Care 2012; 35: 1897–1900.
12. Hemmingsen B, Lund SS, Gluud C, et al. Intensive glycaemic control for patients with type 2 diabetes: systematic review with meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis of randomised clinical trials. BMJ 2011; 343: d6898.
13. Bolek T, Samoš M, Mokáň M, a kol. Akútne príčiny náhlych úmrtí u pacientov so závažnou hypoglykemiou. Vnitř. Lek. 2016; 62: 462–466.
14. Lee AK, Warren B, Lee CJ, et al. Association of severe hypoglycemia with cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in older adults with diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities (ARIC) study. Circulation 2017; 135: A4.
15. Marrett E, Radican L, Davies MJ, Zhang Q. Assessment of severity and frequency of self-reported hypoglycemia on quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with oral antihyperglycemic agents: a survey study. BMC Res Notes 2011; 4(1): 251.
16. McCoy R, Van Houten H, Ziegenfuss J, et al. Self-report of hypoglycemia and health-related quality of life in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Endocr Pract 2013; 19(5): 792–799.
17. Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes Study G, Gerstein HC, Miller ME, Byington RP, et al. Effects of intensive glucose lowering in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358(24): 2545–2559.
18. Aroup AC, Patel A, MacMahon S, et al. Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008; 358(24): 2560–2572.
19. Duckworth W, Abraira C, Moritz T, et al. Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2009; 360(2): 129–139.
20. Zoungas S, Patel A, Chalmers J, et al. Severe hypoglycemia and risks of vascular events and death. N Engl J Med 2010; 363(15): 1410–1418.
21. Bonds DE, Miller ME, Bergenstal RM, et al. The association between symptomatic, severe hypoglycaemia and mortality in type 2 diabetes: retrospective epidemiological analysis of the ACCORD study. BMJ 2010; 340: b4909.
22. UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) group. Intensive blood glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 33). Lancet 1998; 352: 837–843.
23. Wright AD, Cull CA, Macleod KM, et al. Hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetic patients randomized to and maintained on monotherapy with diet, sulfonylurea, metformin, or insulin for 6 years from diagnosis: UKPDS73. J Diabetes Complicat 2006; 20(6): 395–401.
24. Misra-Hebert AD, Pantalone KM, Ji X, et al. Patient characteristics associated with severe hypoglycemia in a type 2 diabetes cohort in a large, integrated health care system from 2006 to 2015. Diabetes Care 2018; 41(6): 1164–1171.
25. Davis TM, Brown SG, Jacobs IG, et al. Determinants of severe hypoglycemia complicating type 2 diabetes: the Fremantle Diabetes Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95(5): 2240–2247.
26. Quilliam BJ, Simeone JC, Ozbay AB. Risk factors for hypoglycemia-related hospitalization in patients with type 2 diabetes: a nested case-control study. Clin Ther 2011; 33(11): 1781–1791.
27. Misra-Hebert AD, Pantalone KM, Ji X, et al. Patient characteristics associated with severe hypoglycemia in a type 2 diabetes cohort in a large, integrated health care system from 2006 to 2015. Diabetes Care 2018; 41(6): 1164–1171.
28. Davis TM, Brown SG, Jacobs IG, et al. Determinants of severe hypoglycemia complicating type 2 diabetes: the Fremantle Diabetes Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95(5): 2240–2247.
29. Investigators OT. Predictors of nonsevere and severe hypoglycemia during glucose-lowering treatment with insulin glargine or standard drugs in the ORIGIN trial. Diabetes Care 2015; 38(1): 22–28.
30. Rosenstock J, Dailey G, Massi-Benedetti M, et al. Reduced hypoglycaemia risk with insulin glargine: a meta-analysis comparing insulin glargine with human NPH insulin in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2005; 28: 950–955.
31. Horvath K, Jeitler K, Berghold A, et al. Long-acting insulin analogues versus NPH insulin (human isophane insulin) for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 2: CD 005613.
32. Monami M, Marchionni N, Mannucci E. Long-acting insulin analogues versus NPH human insulin in type 2 diabetes. A meta-analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2008; 81: 184–189.
33. Roussel R, Ritzel R, Boëlle-Le Corfec E, et al. Clinical perspectives from the BEGIN and EDITION programmes: Trial-level meta-analyses outcomes with either degludec or glargine 300 U/ml vs glargine 100 U/ml in T2DM. Diabetes Metab 2018; 44(5): 402–409.
34. Zinman B, Philis-Tsimikas A, Cariou B, et al. Insulin degludec versus insulin glargine in insulin-naive patients with type 2 diabetes: a 1-year, randomized, treat-to-target trial (BEGIN Once Long). Diabetes Care 2012; 35: 2464–2471.
35. Ritzel R, Roussel R, Giaccari A, et al. Better glycaemic control and less hypoglycaemia with insulin glargine 300 U/mL vs glargine 100 U/mL: 1-year patient-level meta-analysis of the EDITION clinical studies in people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab 2018; 20: 541–548.
36. Ritzel R, Roussel R, Bolli GB, et al. Patient-level meta-analysis of the EDITION 1, 2 and 3 studies: glycaemic control and hypoglycaemia with new insulin glargine 300 U/ml versus glargine 100 U/ml in people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab 2015; 17: 859–867.
37. Mauricio D, Hramiak I. Second-generation insulin analogues – a review of recent real-world data and forthcoming head-to-head comparisons. Eur Endocrinol 2018; 14(Suppl1): 2–9.
38. Evans Kreider K, Pereira K, Padilla BI. Practical approaches to diagnosing, treating and preventing hypoglycemia in diabetes. Diabetes Ther 2017; 8: 1427–1435.
39. McCoy RG, Lipska KJ, Yao X, et al. Intensive treatment and severe hypoglycemia among adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a population-based study. JAMA Intern Med 2016; 176(7): 969–978.
40. Lipska KJ, Warton EM, Huang ES, et al. HbA1c and risk of severe hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes and Aging Study. Diabetes Care 2013; 36(11): 3535–3542.
41. Mathur S, Zammitt NN, Frier BM. Optimal glycaemic control in elderly people with type 2 diabetes: what does the evidence say? Drug Saf 2015; 38(1): 17–32.
42. Frier BM. Hypoglycaemia in diabetes mellitus: epidemiology and clinical implications. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2014; 10: 711–722.
43. Villani M, de Courten B, Zoungas S. Emergency treatment of hypoglycaemia: a guideline and evidence review. Diabet Med 2017; 34(9): 1205–1211.