1. Vining DJ, Gelfand DW. Non-invasive colonoscopy using helical CT scanning, 3D reconstruction, and virtual reality. Hawaii, Maui: 23rd annual meeting, SGR Scientific Program 1994: Abstract 70.
2. Johnson CD, Hara AK, Reed JE. Computed tomographic colonography (Virtual colonoscopy): a new method for detecting colorectal neoplasms. Endoscopy 1997; 29(6): 454–461.
3. Fletcher JG, Johnson CD, Welch TJ et al. Optimization of CT colonography technique: prospective trial in 180 patients. Radiology 2000; 216(3): 704–711.
4. Royster AP, Fenlon HM, Clarke PD et al. CT colonoscopy of colorectal neoplasms: two-dimensional and three-dimensional virtual-reality techniques with colonoscopic correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1997; 169(5): 1237–1242.
5. Valev V, Wang G, Vannier MW. Techniques of CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy). Crit Rev Biomed Eng 1999; 27(1–2): 1–25.
6. Sonnenberg A, Delcò F, Bauerfeind P. Is virtual colonoscopy a cost-effective option to screen for colorectal cancer? Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94(8): 2268–2274.
7. McFarland EG, Brink JA. Helical CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy): the challenge that exists between advancing technology and generalizability. Am J Roentgenol 1999; 173(3): 549–559.
8. Liedenbaum MH, Denters MJ, de Vries AH et al. Low-fiber diet in limited bowel preparation for CT colonography: influence on image quality and patient acceptance. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2010; 195(1): W31–W37.
9. Mahgerefteh S, Fraifeld S, Blachar A et al. CT Colonography with decreased purgation: balancing preparation, performance, and patient acceptance. Am J Roentgenol 2009; 193(6): 1531–1539.
10. Church J, Delaney C. Randomized, controlled trial of carbon dioxide insufflation during colonoscopy. Dis Colon Rectum 2003; 46(3): 322–326.
11. Burling D, Taylor SA, Halligan S et al. Automated insufflation of carbon dioxide for MDCT colonography: distension and patient experience compared with manual insufflation. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2006; 186(1): 96–103.
12. Behrens C, Stevenson G, Eddy R et al. Effect of intravenous Buscopan on colonic distention during computed tomography colonography. Can Assoc Radiol J 2008; 59(4): 183–190.
13. Hirofuji Y, Aoyama T, Koyama S et al. Evaluation of patient dose for barium enemas and CT colonography in Japan. Br J Radiol 2009; 82(975): 219–227.
14. United Nations Scientific Committee on the Sources and Effects of Ionising Radiation. Report on the effects of atomic radiation to the general assembly, 2000. Medical radiation exposures. New York: UN 2001.
15. Flicek KT, Hara AK, Silva AC et al. Reducing the radiation dose for CT colonography using adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction: a pilot study. Am J Roentgenol 2010; 195(1): 126–131.
16. Dachman AH, Obuchowski NA, Hoffmeister JW et al. Effect of computer-aided detection for CT colonography in a multireader, multicase trial. Radiology 2010; 256(3): 827–835.
17. Robinson C, Halligan S, Iinuma G et al. CT colonography: computer-assisted detection of colorectal cancer. Br J Radiol 2011; 84(1001): 435–440.
18. de Vries AH, Jensch S, Liedenbaum MH et al. Does a computer-aided detection algorithm in a second read paradigm enhance the performance of experienced computed tomography colonography readers in a population of increased risk? Eur Radiol 2009; 19(4): 941–950.
19. Fisichella VA, Jäderling F, Horvath S et al. Computer-aided detection (CAD) as a second reader using perspective filet view at CT colonography: effect on performance of inexperienced readers. Clin Radiol 2009; 64(10): 972–982.
20. Robinson C, Halligan S, Taylor SA et al. CT colonography: a systematic review of standard of reporting for studies of computer-aided detection. Radiology 2008; 246(2): 426–433.
21. AGA Clinical Practice and Economics Committee. Position of the American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Institute on computed tomographic colonography. Gastroenterology 2006; 131(5): 1627–1628.
22. Iafrate F, Hassan C, Zullo A et al. CT colonography with reduced bowel preparation after incomplete colonoscopy in the elderly. Eur Radiol 2008; 18(7): 1385–1395.
23. Yucel C, Lev-Toaff AS, Moussa N et al. CT colonography for incomplete or contraindicated optical colonoscopy in older patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2008; 190(1): 145–150.
24. Sanford MF, Pickhardt PJ. Diagnostic performance of primary 3-dimensional computed tomography colonography in the setting of colonic diverticular disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2006; 4(8): 1039–1047.
25. Levin B, Lieberman DA, McFarland B et al. Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin 2008; 58(3): 130–160.
26. Laghi A, Iafrate F, Rengo M et al. Colorectal cancer screening: the role of CT colonography. World J Gastroenterol 2010; 16(32): 3987–3994.
27. Mitka M. Virtual colonoscopy dealt setback with rejection for coverage by Medicare. JAMA 2009; 301(13): 1327–1328.
28. Whitlock EP, Lin JS, Liles E et al. Screening for colorectal cancer: a targeted, updated systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2008; 149(9): 638–658.
29. Pickhardt PJ. Incidence of colonic perforation at CT colonography: review of existing data and implications for screening of asymptomatic adults. Radiology 2006; 239(2): 313–316.
30. Burling D, Halligan S, Slater A et al. Potentially serious adverse events at CT colonography in symptomatic patients: national survey of the United Kingdom. Radiology 2006; 239(2): 464–471.
31. Sosna J, Blachar A, Amitai M et al. Colonic perforation at CT colonography: assessment of risk in a multicenter large cohort. Radiology 2006; 239(2): 457–463.