1. Brummel-Ziedins K, Orfeo T, Swords JN et al. Blood coagulation and fibrinolysis. In: Greer JP, Foerster J, Rodgers JM et al (eds). Wintrobe’s Clinical Hematology. Baltimore: Lippincott Wiliams & Wilkins 2009: 528–619.
2. Schmitt M, Harbeck M, Thomssen C et al. Clinical impact of the plasminogen activation system in tumor invasion and metastasis: Prognostic relevance and target therapy. Thromb Haemost 1997; 78: 285–296.
3. Silverman GA, Bird PI, Carrell RW et al. The serpins are an expanding superfamily of structurally similar but functionally diverse proteins: evolution, mechanism of inhibition, novel functions, and a revised nomenclature. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 33293–33296.
4. De Bruin PA, Griffioen G, Verspaget HW et al. Plasminogen activators and tumor development in the human colon: activity levels in normal mucosa, adenomatous polyps, and adenocarcinomas. Cancer Res 1987; 47: 4654–4657.
5. Duffy MJ. The urokinase plasminogen activator system: role in malignancy. Curr Pharm Des 2004; 10: 39–49.
6. Pyke C, Kristensen P, Ralfkiaer E et al. The plasminogen activation system in human colon cancer: Messenger RNA for the inhibitor PAI-1 is located in endothelial cells in tumor stroma. Cancer Res 1991; 51: 4067–4071.
7. Fya WP, Shapiro AD, Shih JL et al. Brief report: Complete deficiency of plasminogen-activator inhibitor type 1 due to a frame-shift mutation. N Engl J Med 1992; 327: 1729–1733.
8. Carmeliet P, Stassen JM, Schoonjans L et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 gene-deficient mice. II. Effect on haemostasis, thrombosis and thrombolysis. J Clin Invest 1993; 92: 2756–2760.
9. Hill SA, Shaughnessy SG, Joshua P et al. Differential mechanisms targeting type 1 plasminogen activator inhibitor and vitronectin into the storage granules of a human megakaryocytic cell line. Blood 1996; 87: 5061–5073.
10. Stefansson S, Peticlerc E, Wong MK et al. Inhibition of angiogenesis in vivo by plasminogen activator inhibitor-1. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 8135–8141.
11. Stefansson S, Lawrence DA. The serpin PAI-1 inhibits cell migration by blocking integrin alpha V beta 3 binding to vitronectin. Nature 1996; 383: 441–443.
12. Sugiura Y, Ma L, Sun B et al. The plasminogen-plasminogen activator (PA) system in neuroblastoma: role of PA inhibitor-1 in metastasis. Cancer Res 1999; 59: 1327–1336.
13. Nykjaer A, Conese M, Christensen EI et al. Recycling of the urokinase receptor upon internalization of the uPA: serpin complexes. EMBO J 1997; 16: 2610–2620.
14. Chazaud B, Ricoux R, Christov C et al. Promigratory effect of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 on invasive breast cancer cell populations. Am J Pathol 2002; 160: 237–246.
15. Baker EA, Bergin FG, Leaper DJ et al. Plasminogen activator system, vascular endothelial growth factor and colorectal cancer progression. Mol Pathol 2000; 53: 307–312.
16. Schmitt M, Wilhelm O, Reuning U et al. The urokinase plasminogen activator system as a novel target for tumour therapy. Fibrinolysis Proteol 2000; 14: 114–132.
17. Meijers JC, Marquart JA, Bertina MR et al. Protein C inhibitor (plasminogen activator inhibitor-3) and the risk of venous thrombosis. Br J Haematol 2002; 118: 604–609.
18. Mignatti P, Rifkin DB. Plasminogen activators and matrix metalloproteinases in angiogenesis. Enzyme Prot 1996; 49: 117–137.
19. Pepper MS, Sappino AP, Stöcklin R et al. Up-regulation of urokinase receptor expression on migrating endotelial cells. J Cell Biol 1993; 122: 673–684.
20. Ploug M, Ronne E, Behrendt N et al. Cellular receptor for urokinase plasminogen activator. Carboxyl-terminal processing and membrane anchoring by glycosylphosphatidylinositol. J Biol Chem 1991; 266: 1926–1933.
21. Waltz DA, Natkin LR, Fujita RM et al. Plasmin and plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 promote cellular motility by regulating the interaction between the urokinase receptor and vitronectin. J Clin Invest 1997; 100: 58–67.
22. Resnati M, Guttinger M, Valcamonica S et al. Proteolytic cleavage of the urokinase receptor substitutes for the agonist-induced chemotactic effect. EMBO J 1996; 15: 1572–1582.
23. Busso N, Masur SK, Lazega D et al. Induction of cell migration by pro-urokinase binding to its receptor: possible mechanism for signal transduction in human epitelial cells. J Cell Biol 1994; 126: 259–270.
24. Nguyen DH, Hussaini IM, Gonias SL. Binding of urokinase-type plasminogen activator to its receptor in MCF-7 cells activates extracellular signal regulated kinase 1 and 2 which is required for increased cellular motility. J Biol Chem 1998; 273: 8502–8507.
25. Dumler I, Weis A, Mayboroda OA et al. The Jak/Stat pathway and urokinase receptor signaling in human aortic vascular smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem 1998; 273: 315–321.
26. Durand MK, Bødker JS, Christensen A et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 and tumour growth, invasion and metastasis. Tromb Haemost 2004; 91: 439–449.
27. Prager GW, Breuss JM, Steurer S et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2-induced initial endothelial cell migration depends on the presence of the urokinase receptor. Circ Res 2004; 94: 1562–1570.
28. Brückner A, Filderman AE, Kirchheimer JC et al. Endogenous receptor-bound urokinase mediates tissue invasion of the human lung carcinoma cell lines A549 and Calu-1. Cancer Res 1992; 52: 3043–3047.
29. Kobayashi H, Moniwan N, Gotoh J et al. Role of activated protein C in faciliting basement membrane invasion by tumor cells. Cancer Res 1994; 54: 261–267.
30. Praus M, Collen D, Gerard RD. Both u-PA inhibition and vitronectin binding by plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 regulate HT1080 fibrosarcoma cell metastasis. Int J Cancer 2002; 102: 584–591.
31. Harbeck N, Schmitt M, Kates RE et al. Clinical utility of urokinase-type plasminogen activator and plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 determination in primary breast cancer tissue for individualized therapy concepts. Clin Breast Cancer 2002; 3: 196–200.
32. Taponeco F, Curcio C, Giuntini A et al. Expression and prognostic significance of urokinase and plasminogen activator inhibitor type-1 in endometrial hyperplazia and cancer. J Exp Clin Canc Res 2001; 20: 239–246.
33. Bajou K, Noël A, Gerard RD et al. Absence of host plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 prevents cancer invasion and vascularization. Nat Med 1998; 4: 923–928.
34. Rak J, Klement P, Yu J. Genetic determinats of cancer coagulopathy, angiogenesis an disease progression. Vnitř Lék 2006; 52 (Suppl 1): 135–138.
35. Penka M. Activation of blood coagulation in oncology patient. Vnitř Lék 1997; 43: 337–339.
36. Deng C, Cirriden SA, Wang S et al. Is plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 the molecular switch that governs urokinase receptor-mediated cell adhesion and release? J Cell Biol 1996; 134: 1563–1571.
37. Kanse SM, Kost C, Wilhelm OG et al. The urokinase receptor is a major vitronectin-binding protein on endothelial cells. Exp Cell Res 1996; 224: 344–353.
38. Abe J, Urano T, Konno H et al. Larger and more invasive colorectal carcinoma contains larger amounts of plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 and its relative ratio over urokinase receptor correlates well with tumor size. Cancer 1999; 86: 2602–2611.
39. Malý J, Blažek M, Bláha M et al. Changes in hemostasis in malignant diseases. Vnitř Lék 2002; 48: 614–618.
40. Rakic JM, Maillard C, Jost M et al. Role of plasminogen activator-plasmin system in tumor angiogenesis. Cell Mol Life Sci 2003; 60: 463–473.
41. Uchiyama T, Kurabayashi M, Ohyama Y et al. Hypoxia induced transcription of the plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 gene through genistein-sensitive tyrosine kinase pathways in vascular endothelial cells. Arterioscl Throm Vas 2000; 20: 1155–1161.
42. Premzl A, Turk V, Kos J. Intracellular proteolytic activity of cathepsin B is associated with capillary-like tube formation by endothelial cells in vitro. J Cell Biochem 2006; 97: 1230–1240.
43. Smith OP. Thrombotic complications in children with cancer. Vnitř Lék 2009; 55: 223–226.
44. Danø K, Behrendt N, Høyer-Hansen G et al. Plasminogen activations and cancer. Thromb Haemost 2005; 93: 676–681.
45. Krueger S, Kalinski T, Wolf H et al. Interactions between human colon carcinoma cells, fibroblasts and monocytic cells in coculture-regulation of cathepsin B expression and invasiveness. Cancer Lett 2005; 223: 313–322.
46. Kwaan HC, Wang J, Svoboda K et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 may promote tumour growth through inhibition of apoptosis. Br J Cancer 2000; 82: 1702–1708.
47. Balsara RD, Ploplis VA. Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1: the double-edged sword in apoptosis. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 1029–1036.
48. Schneider DJ, Chen Y, Sobel BE. The effect of plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 on apoptosis. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 1037–1040.
49. Clifton EE, Grossi CE. Effect of human plasmin on the toxic effects and growth of blood borne metastasis of the Brown-Pearce carcinoma and the V2 carcinoma of rabbit. Cancer 1956; 9: 1147–1152.
50. Leik CE, Su EJ, Nambi P et al. Effect of pharmacologic plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 inhibition on cell motility and tumor angiogenesis. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 2710–2715.