Nurses Knowledge in Presure Ulcers Management Related to the Monitoring of the Incidence and Prevalence of Pressure Ulcers: a questionnaire survey
Simona Saibertová 1; Andrea Pokorná 1
Department of Nursing and Midwifery, Faculty of Medicine Department, Masaryk University, Brno
Vyšlo v časopise:
Prakt. Lék. 2021; 101(Suplementum 1, díl 2.): 27-31
Introduction: An effective monitoring of the incidence and prevalence of pressure ulcers necessitates a uniform data collection methodology based on nurses’ knowledge of pressure ulcers.
Aim: The aim of the study was to investigate the knowledge among general nurses in the management of pressure ulcers (prevention, identification and therapy) in connection with monitoring and recording the incidence and prevalence of pressure ulcers.
Method: Quantitative survey was done. The standardised questionnaire “Pressure Ulcer Knowledge Test – PUKT” has been used. Statistical analysis of the data was performed using the Spearman correlation coefficient and Mann-Whitney rank test at the statistical level < 0.05.
Results: General nurses (n=40) from three university hospitals in the Czech Republic involved in the project “Register of Pressure ulcers” undergoing special training, and general nurses (n = 194) not involved in the project activities. The cut-off point for PUKT questionnaire is 90% succesful rate. The overall success rate of correct answers in our sample was 75.5%. The lowest success rate of correct answers was in the category of knowledge related to nursing interventions (57.6% of correct answers). University educated nurses showed better knowledge compared to nurses with secondary education (p = 0.04). There was no significant difference in the level of knowledge between respondents with and without special training and education.
Conclusion: The data analysis showed insufficient respondents’ knowledge of pressure ulcers. The higher level of the undergraduate education the better results in the knowledge test. Nurses with special training were able to better differentiate PUs and IAD.
- Akese, M.I., Adejumo, P.O., Ilesanmi, R.E., Obilor, H.N., (2014). Assessment of nurses’ knowledge on evidence-based preventive practices for pressure ulcer risk reduction in patients with impaired mobility. African journal of medicine and medical sciences, 43(3), 51-258.
- Bååth, C., Engström, M., Gunningber, L., (2016). Prevention of heel pressure ulcers among older patients - from ambulance care to hospital discharge: A multi-centre randomized controlled trial. Applied Nursing Research, 30, 170-175.
- Beeckman, D. (2016). Incontinence-associated Dermatitis - Current Knowledge on Etiology, Diagnosis and Prevention. Czech and Slovak Neurology and Neurosurgery, 79 (112) (Suppl 1), 28-30.
- Bredesen, I.M., Bjør, K., Gunningberg, L., Hofoss, D. (2016). Effect of e-learning program on risk assessment and pressure ulcer classification - A randomized study. Nurse Education Today, 40, 191-197. Available at doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2016.03.008.
- Davies, P. (2014). Preventing the development of heel pressure ulcers.
- Nursing Standard, 33(7), 69-76. Available at doi:10.7748/ns. 2018. e11294.
- Dekubity.eu. (2019). Available at http://www.dekubity.eu/informace-pro-odbornou-verejnost/doporuceni/.
- Gleeson, D. (2016). Heel pressure ulcer prevention: A 5-year initiative using low-friction bootees in a hospital setting. Wounds UK, 12(4), 8087.
- Charalambous, Ch., Koulouri, A., Roupa, Z., Vasilopoulos, A., Kyriakou, M., Vasiliou, M. (2019). Knowledge and attitudes of nurses in a major public hospital in Cyprus towards pressure ulcer prevention. Journal of Tissue Viability, 28(1), 40-45.
- Chaudhary, S., Singh, N. (2018). Assessment of knowledge and practice & identification of barriers towards pressure ulcer care and prevention among nursing professional. In 12th World Congress of the International Society of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. Paris. 8-12 July 2018, Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, 61, 383. doi: 10.1016/j.rehab.2018.05.892.
- Iranmanesh, S., Rafie, H., Foroogh, G.A. (2011). Critical care nurses’ knowledge about pressure ulcer in southeast of Iran. International Wound Journal, 8(5), 459-464.
- Kielo, E., Salminen, L., Stolt, M., (2018). Graduating student nurses’ and student podiatrists’ wound care competence - An integrative literature review. Nurse Education in Practice, 29, 1-7.
- Kielo E, Suhonen R, Ylönen M, Viljamaa J, Wahlroos N, Stolt M. (2020). A systematic and psychometric review of tests measuring nurses’ wound care knowledge International Wound Journal, 17:1209–1224. Available at doi: 10.1111/iwj.13417
- National pressure ulcer advisory panel. European pressure ulcer advisory panel and Pan pacific pressure injury alliance. Prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers: quick reference guide. Emily Haesler (Ed.).3rd edition. Cambridge Media: Osborne Park, Western Australia, (2019). National pressure ulcer. Available at https://www.epuap.org/ pu-guidelines/
- Nuru, N., Zewdu, F., Amsalu, S., Mehretie, Y. (2015). Knowledge and practice of nurses towards prevention of pressure ulcer and associated factors in Gondar university hospital, Northwest Ethiopia. BioMed Central Nursing, 14(1),1-8. Available at doi: 10.1186/s12912-015-0076-8. Okhovati, S., Shariat, E., Esmaeili, M. (2019). Effect of intensive care unit nurses’ empowerment program on ability in visual differential diagnosis of pressure ulcer classification. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, 42(1),89-95. Available at doi: 10.1097/CNQ.0000000000000242. Pieper, B., Zulkowski, K. (2014). The Pieper-Zulkowski pressure ulcer knowledge test. Advances in skin & wound care, 27 (9), Available at doi: 413-9. 10.1097/01.ASW.0000453210.21330.00
- Pieper, B., Mott M. (1995). Nurses knowledge of pressure ulcer prevention, staging and description. Advances in Wound Care: the Journal for Prevention and Healing, 8, 34-48.
- Pokorná, A., Jarkovský, J., Mužík, J., Vasmanská, S., Saibertová, S., Krejčiříková, P. (2016). A new online software tool for pressure ulcer monitoring as an educational instrument for unified nursing assessment in clinical settings. Mefanet Journal 4, (1), 26-32.
- Pokorná, A., Leaper, D. (2014). Assessment and documentation of non-healing, chronic wounds in inpatient health care facilities in the Czech Republic: an evaluation study. International Wound Journal, 12(2), 224-p231. Available at doi: 10.1111/iwj.12372
- Pokorná, A., Mužík, J., Búřilová, P., Saibertová, S., Kubátová, L., Kelbich, T., Koblihová, E., Müllerová, N., Camprová, P., Svobodová D. (2018). Pressure ulcer monitoring - data set validation after second pilot data collection. Czech and Slovak Neurology and Neurosurgery, 81 (Suppl. 1), 6-12. Rafiei, H., Abdar, M.E., Irnmanesh, S., Iranmanesh S., Lalegani H., Safdari,
- A., Dehkordi A.H., (2014). Knowledge about pressure ulcer prevention, classification and management: A survey of registered nurses working with trauma patients in the emergency department. International Journal of Orthopaedic and Trauma Nursing, 18 (3), 135-142. Available at doi: 10.1016/j.ijotn.2014.03.004.
- Saibertová S, Pokorná A. (2016). Evaluation of the assessment and documentation of chronic wounds in residential social care in the Czech Republic. Journal of Wound Care, 25 (11), 662-669. Available at doi:10.12968/jowc.2016.25.11.662.
- Saibertová, S., Pokorná, A., Mužík, J. (2018). First (Pilot) Validation of the Unified Dataset for Pressure Ulcers Monitoring. International Multidisciplinary Scientific Conference on Social Sciences & Arts SGEM 5, 233238. Available at doi: 10.5593/sgemsocial2018/3.3. Sharp, A.C., Schulz Moore, S.J., McLaws, M.L. (2016). Two-Hourly Repositioning for Prevention of Pressure Ulcers in the Elderly: Patient Safety or Elder Abuse? Journal of Bioethical Inquiry, 16 (1), 17-34.
- Stausberg, J., Kiefer, E. (2009). Classification of pressure ulcers: a systematic literature review. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 146, 511-515. Available at doi:10.3233/978-1-60750-024-7-511.
- Tallier, P.C, Reineke, P.R., Asadoorian, K. (2017). Perioperative registered nurses’ knowledge, attitudes, behaviors, and barriers regarding pressure ulcer prevention in perioperative patients. Applied Nursing Research 36, 106-110. Available at doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2017.06.009 Zaratkiewicz, S., Whitney, J.D., Lowe, J., Taylor, S., O’Donnell, F., Minton-Foltz, P. (2010). Development and Implementation of a Hospital-Acquired Pressure Ulcer Incidence Tracking System and Algorithm. Journal for Healthcare Quality, 32 (6), 44-51, Available at doi: 10.1111/ j.1945-1474.2010.00076. x.
Praktické lékařství pro děti a dorost
Praktické lékařství pro dospělé