1. NaritaM (2009) Pathogenesis of neurologic manifestations of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. Pediatr Neurol 41: 159–166.
2. FoyHM (1993) Infections caused by Mycoplasma pneumoniae and possible carrier state in different populations of patients. Clin Infect Dis 17 Suppl 1S37–S46.
3. LindK, BenzonMW, JensenJS, ClydeWAJr (1997) A seroepidemiological study of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections in Denmark over the 50-year period 1946–1995. Eur J Epidemiol 13: 581–586.
4. MichelowIC, OlsenK, LozanoJ, RollinsNK, DuffyLB, et al. (2004) Epidemiology and clinical characteristics of community-acquired pneumonia in hospitalized children. Pediatrics 113: 701–707.
5. BaerG, EngelckeG, Abele-HornM, SchaadUB, HeiningerU (2003) Role of Chlamydia pneumoniae and Mycoplasma pneumoniae as causative agents of community-acquired pneumonia in hospitalised children and adolescents. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22: 742–745.
6. PrincipiN, EspositoS, BlasiF, AllegraL (2001) Mowgli study group (2001) Role of Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydia pneumoniae in children with community-acquired lower respiratory tract infections. Clin Infect Dis 32: 1281–1289.
7. JuvenT, MertsolaJ, WarisM, LeinonenM, MeurmanO, et al. (2000) Etiology of community-acquired pneumonia in 254 hospitalized children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 19: 293–298.
8. NaritaM (2010) Pathogenesis of extrapulmonary manifestations of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection with special reference to pneumonia. J Infect Chemother 16: 162–169.
9. ChristieLJ, HonarmandS, TalkingtonDF, GavaliSS, PreasC, et al. (2007) Pediatric encephalitis: what is the role of Mycoplasma pneumoniae? Pediatrics 120: 305–313.
10. BitnunA, Ford-JonesEL, PetricM, MacGregorD, HeurterH, et al. (2001) Acute childhood encephalitis and Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Clin Infect Dis 32: 1674–1684.
11. BitnunA, Ford-JonesE, BlaserS, RichardsonS (2003) Mycoplasma pneumoniae encephalitis. Semin Pediatr Infect Dis 14: 96–107.
12. VenkatesanA, TunkelAR, BlochKC, LauringAS, SejvarJ, et al. (2013) Case Definitions, Diagnostic Algorithms, and Priorities in Encephalitis: Consensus Statement of the International Encephalitis Consortium. Clin Infect Dis 57: 1114–1128.
13. SpuesensEB, FraaijPL, VisserEG, HoogenboezemT, HopWC, et al. (2013) Carriage of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in the upper respiratory tract of symptomatic and asymptomatic children: an observational study. PLoS Med 10: e1001444.
14. WoodPR, HillVL, BurksML, PetersJI, SinghH, et al. (2013) Mycoplasma pneumoniae in children with acute and refractory asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 110: 328–334.e1.
15. JacobsE (1993) Serological diagnosis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections: a critical review of current procedures. Clin Infect Dis 17 Suppl 1S79–S82.
16. Waites KB, Talkington DF (2004) Mycoplasma pneumoniae and its role as a human pathogen. Clin Microbiol Rev 17: : 697–728, table of contents.
17. LoensK, GoossensH, IevenM (2010) Acute respiratory infection due to Mycoplasma pneumoniae: current status of diagnostic methods. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 29: 1055–1069.
18. NadalD, BossartW, ZucolF, SteinerF, BergerC, et al. (2001) Community-acquired pneumonia in children due to Mycoplasma pneumoniae: diagnostic performance of a seminested 16S rDNA-PCR. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 39: 15–19.
19. BeersmaMF, DirvenK, van DamAP, TempletonKE, ClaasEC, et al. (2005) Evaluation of 12 commercial tests and the complement fixation test for Mycoplasma pneumoniae-specific immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgM antibodies, with PCR used as the "gold standard". J Clin Microbiol 43: 2277–2285.
20. OzakiT, NishimuraN, AhnJ, WatanabeN, MutoT, et al. (2007) Utility of a rapid diagnosis kit for Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia in children, and the antimicrobial susceptibility of the isolates. J Infect Chemother 13: 204–207.
21. GavranichJB, ChangAB (2005) Antibiotics for community acquired lower respiratory tract infections (LRTI) secondary to Mycoplasma pneumoniae in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005: CD004875.
22. ReiberH (1994) Flow rate of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)— a concept common to normal blood-CSF barrier function and to dysfunction in neurological diseases. J Neurol Sci 122: 189–203.
23. JacobsE (2012) Mycoplasma pneumoniae: now in the focus of clinicians and epidemiologists. Euro Surveill 17: 1–3.
24. DumkeR, StrubelA, CyncynatusC, NuyttensH, HerrmannR, et al. (2012) Optimized serodiagnosis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 73: 200–203.
25. DaxboeckF, BlackyA, SeidlR, KrauseR, AssadianO (2004) Diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae childhood encephalitis: systematic review of 58 cases. J Child Neurol 19: 865–871.
26. DomenechC, LevequeN, LinaB, NajioullahF, FloretD (2009) Role of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in pediatric encephalitis. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28: 91–94.
27. NaritaM, YamadaS (2001) Two distinct patterns of central nervous system complications due to Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. Clin Infect Dis 33: 916–917.
28. BencinaD, DovcP, Mueller-PremruM, Avsic-ZupancT, SocanM, et al. (2000) Intrathecal synthesis of specific antibodies in patients with invasion of the central nervous system by Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 19: 521–530.
29. Meyer SauteurPM, RellyC, HackenbergA, StahrN, BergerC, et al. (2014) Mycoplasma pneumoniae Intrathecal Antibody Responses in Bickerstaff Brain Stem Encephalitis. Neuropediatrics 45: 61–63.
30. ChristieLJ, HonarmandS, YagiS, RuizS, GlaserCA (2007) Anti-galactocerebroside testing in Mycoplasma pneumoniae-associated encephalitis. J Neuroimmunol 189: 129–131.
31. JacobsE, BartlA, OberleK, SchiltzE (1995) Molecular mimicry by Mycoplasma pneumoniae to evade the induction of adherence inhibiting antibodies. J Med Microbiol 43: 422–429.
32. KusunokiS, ShiinaM, KanazawaI (2001) Anti-Gal-C antibodies in GBS subsequent to mycoplasma infection: evidence of molecular mimicry. Neurology 57: 736–738.
33. RottemS (2003) Interaction of mycoplasmas with host cells. Physiol Rev 83: 417–432.
34. WillisonHJ, YukiN (2002) Peripheral neuropathies and anti-glycolipid antibodies. Brain 125: 2591–2625.
35. AngCW, Tio-GillenAP, GroenJ, HerbrinkP, JacobsBC, et al. (2002) Cross-reactive anti-galactocerebroside antibodies and Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections in Guillain-Barré syndrome. J Neuroimmunol 130: 179–183.
36. SusukiK, OdakaM, MoriM, HirataK, YukiN (2004) Acute motor axonal neuropathy after Mycoplasma infection: Evidence of molecular mimicry. Neurology 62: 949–956.
37. ArakawaH, YuharaY, TodokoroM, KatoM, MochizukiH, et al. (2005) Immunoadsorption therapy for a child with Guillain-Barré syndrome subsequent to Mycoplasma infection: a case study. Brain Dev 27: 431–433.
38. SamukawaM, HamadaY, KuwaharaM, TakadaK, HiranoM, et al. (2013) Clinical features in Guillain-Barré syndrome with anti-Gal-C antibody. J Neurol Sci 337: 55–60.
39. van DoornPA, RutsL, JacobsBC (2008) Clinical features, pathogenesis, and treatment of Guillain-Barré syndrome. Lancet Neurol 7: 939–950.
40. SaidaT, SaidaK, DorfmanSH, SilberbergDH, SumnerAJ, et al. (1979) Experimental allergic neuritis induced by sensitization with galactocerebroside. Science 204: 1103–1106.
41. NishimuraM, SaidaT, KurokiS, KawabataT, ObayashiH, et al. (1996) Post-infectious encephalitis with anti-galactocerebroside antibody subsequent to Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. J Neurol Sci 140: 91–95.
42. KumadaS, KusakaH, OkaniwaM, KobayashiO, KusunokiS (1997) Encephalomyelitis subsequent to mycoplasma infection with elevated serum anti-Gal C antibody. Pediatr Neurol 16: 241–244.
43. SugenoN, KawaguchiN, HasegawaT, KurodaT, NakashimaI, et al. (2012) A case with anti-galactocerebroside antibody-positive Mycoplasma pneumoniae meningoencephalitis presenting secondary hypersomnia. Neurol Sci 33: 1473–1476.
44. KikuchiM, TagawaY, IwamotoH, HoshinoH, YukiN (1997) Bickerstaff's brainstem encephalitis associated with IgG anti-GQ1b antibody subsequent to Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection: favorable response to immunoadsorption therapy. J Child Neurol 12: 403–405.
45. SteerAC, StarrM, KornbergAJ (2006) Bickerstaff brainstem encephalitis associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. J Child Neurol 21: 533–534.
46. FuscoC, BoniniE, SonciniG, FrattiniD, GiovanniniS, et al. (2010) Transient basal ganglia and thalamic involvement following Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection associated with antiganglioside antibodies. J Child Neurol 25: 1029–1033.
47. OdakaM, YukiN, YamadaM, KogaM, TakemiT, et al. (2003) Bickerstaff's brainstem encephalitis: clinical features of 62 cases and a subgroup associated with Guillain-Barré syndrome. Brain 126: 2279–2290.
48. MonteyneP, AlbertF, WeissbrichB, ZardiniE, CiardiM, et al. (1997) The detection of intrathecal synthesis of anti-herpes simplex IgG antibodies: comparison between an antigen-mediated immunoblotting technique and antibody index calculations. European Union Concerted Action on Virus Meningitis and Encephalitis. J Med Virol 53: 324–331.
49. GranerodJ, CunninghamR, ZuckermanM, MuttonK, DaviesNW, et al. (2010) Causality in acute encephalitis: defining aetiologies. Epidemiol Infect 138: 783–800.