1. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Global trends: forced displacement in 2018. Geneva: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees; 2019 [Cited 2019 Sep 29] Available from: https://www.unhcr.org/globaltrends2018/
2. Lischer SK. Dangerous sanctuaries: refugee camps, civil war, and the dilemmas of humanitarian aid. Ithaca (NY): Cornell University Press; 2015.
3. Guttieri K. Humanitarian space in insecure environments: a shifting paradigm. Strategic Insights. 2005;6(11):1–7.
4. Mwaruvie J, Kirui P. The dilemma of hosting refugees: a focus on the insecurity in north-eastern Kenya. Int J Business Soc Sci. 2012;3(8):161–71.
5. Crisp J. A state of insecurity: the political economy of violence in Kenya’s refugee camps. Afr Aff (Lond). 2000;99(397):601–32.
6. Nilsson HM. Sudanese and South Sudanese refugee women’s sense of security in Kakuma refugee camp [thesis]. Uppsala: Uppsala University; 2013 [cited 2020 Feb 21]. Available from: http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-203455
7. Mwangi CW. Women refugees and sexual violence in Kakuma Camp, Kenya [thesis]. The Hague: International Institute of Social Studies; 2012.
8. Macassa G, Winersjö R, Wijk K, McGrath C, Ahmadi N, Soares J. Fear of crime and its relationship to self-reported health and stress among men. J Public Health Res. 2017;6(3):1010. doi: 10.4081/jphr.2017.1010 29441331
9. Bonomi AE, Anderson ML, Rivara FP, Thompson RS. Health outcomes in women with physical and sexual intimate partner violence exposure. J Womens Health. 2007;16(7):987–97.
10. Masterson AR, Usta J, Gupta J, Ettinger AS. Assessment of reproductive health and violence against women among displaced Syrians in Lebanon. BMC Womens Health. 2014;14(1):25. doi: 10.1186/1472-6874-14-25 24552142
11. Vemuru V, Oka R, Gengo R, Gettler L. Refugee impacts on Turkana hosts: a social impact analysis for Kakuma Town and Refugee Camp, Turkana County, Kenya. Washington (DC): World Bank; 2016. doi: 10.1596/25863
12. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Kakuma Camp & Kalobeyei Settlement: visitors guide. Geneva: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees; 2018 [cited 2020 Feb 2]. Available from: https://www.unhcr.org/ke/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/02/UNHCR-Sub-Office-Kakuma-Visitors-Guide.pdf
13. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Camp population statistics by country of origin, sex, and age group. Geneva: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees; 2017 [cited 2019 Sep 18]. Available from: https://data2.unhcr.org/en/documents/download/57210
14. Oka R. Unlikely cities in the desert: the informal economy as causal agent for permanent “urban” sustainability in Kakuma Refugee Camp, Kenya. Urban Anthropol Stud Cult Syst World Econ Dev. 2011;40(3/4):223–62.
15. Creswel JW. Research design: qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. 3rd edition. Thousand Oaks (CA): Sage Publications; 2009.
16. Corps Mercy. Analysis of host community–refugee tensions in Mafraq, Jordan. Portland (OR): Mercy Corps; 2012 [cited 2019 Sep 17]. Available from: https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/Mercy%20Corps_JordanSyriaRefugee_ConflictReport_0213.pdf
17. Search for Common Ground. A victory for coexistence. Washington (DC): Search for Common Ground; 2016 Jan 15 [cited 2020 Jan 1]. Available from: https://www.sfcg.org/victory-for-coexistence/
18. Felix Da Costa D. “You may think he is not a human being”: refugee and host community relations in and around Nduta and Mtendeli refugee camps, western Tanzania. Copenhagen: Danish Refugee Council; 2017 [cited 2019 Oct 3]. Available from: https://drc.ngo/media/4428144/drc-tanzania-relationships-between-refugees-and-host-communities-december-2017.pdf
19. Gengo RG, Oka RC, Vemuru V, Golitko M, Gettler LT. Positive effects of refugee presence on host community nutritional status in Turkana County, Kenya. Am J Hum Biol. 2018;30(1):e23060. doi: 10.1002/ajhb.23060 28976046
20. Jacobsen K. Livelihoods in conflict: the pursuit of livelihoods by refugees and the impact on the human security of host communities. Int Migr. 2002;40(5):95–123. doi: 10.1111/1468-2435.00213
21. Loescher G, Milner J. Protracted refugee situations and state and regional insecurity: analysis. Conflict Security Dev. 2004;4(1):3–20. doi: 10.1080/1467880042000206831
22. Brankamp H. ‘Occupied enclave’: policing and the underbelly of humanitarian governance in Kakuma refugee Camp, Kenya. Polit Geogr. 2019;71:67–77. doi: 10.1016/j.polgeo.2019.02.008
23. Wirtz E. The inhumanity of humanitarian aid: gender and violence in a Kenyan refugee camp [dissertation]. West Lafayette (IN): Purdue University; 2017.
24. Sakaria PA. Gendered approach to security and violence in refugee camps [undergraduate thesis]. New York: Pace University; 2017 [cited 2020 Feb 21]. Available from: http://digitlacommons.pace.edu/honorscollege_theses/162
25. Oluoch-Aridi J, Smith-Oka V, Milan E, Dowd R. Exploring mistreatment of women during childbirth in a peri-urban setting in Kenya: experiences and perceptions of women and healthcare providers. Reprod Health. 2018;15(1):209. doi: 10.1186/s12978-018-0643-z 30558618
26. Warren CE, Njue R, Ndwiga C, Abuya T. Manifestations and drivers of mistreatment of women during childbirth in Kenya: implications for measurement and developing interventions. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17(1):102. doi: 10.1186/s12884-017-1288-6 28351350
27. Gill O. Greek hospitals deepen trauma for refugee women giving birth. The Guardian. 2016 Dec 19. Available from: https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/dec/19/greek-hospitals-deepen-trauma-for-refugee-women-giving-birth
28. Clark C, Ryan L, Kawachi I, Canner MJ, Berkman L, Wright RJ. Witnessing community violence in residential neighborhoods: a mental health hazard for urban women. J Urban Health. 2008;85(1):22–38. doi: 10.1007/s11524-007-9229-8 17965940
29. Mansour H, Rees DI. Armed conflict and birth weight: evidence from the al-Aqsa Intifada. J Dev Econ. 2012;99(1):190–9. doi: 10.1016/j.jdeveco.2011.12.005
30. Rich-Edwards JW, Grizzard TA. Psychosocial stress and neuroendocrine mechanisms in preterm delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005;192(5):S30–5. doi: 10.1016/j-ajog.2005.01.072 15891710
31. Zapata BC, Rebolledo A, Atalah E, Newman B, King MC. The influence of social and political violence on the risk of pregnancy complications. Am J Public Health. 1992;82(5):685–90. doi: 10.2105/ajph.82.5.685 1566947
32. Oka RC. Coping with the refugee wait: the role of consumption, normalcy, and dignity in refugee lives at Kakuma Refugee Camp, Kenya. Am Anthropol. 2014;116(1):23–37. doi: 10.1111/aman.12076