1. WHO (2013) Consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection. Available: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/arv2013/en/index.html. Accessed 16 May 2014.
2. Clayden P (2013) WHO 2013 guidelines: what about the missing formulations? Available: http://www.thebodypro.com/content/72353/who-2013-guidelines-what-about-the-missing-formula.html. Accessed 16 May 2014:
3. National AIDS Council of Zimbabwe (2013) Zimbabwe to adopt new World Health Organization antiretroviral therapy guidelines. Available: http://www.nac.org.zw/news/zimbabwe-adopt-new-world-health-organization-antiretroviral-therapy-guidelines. Accessed 16 May 2014.
4. The Office of the Global AIDS Coordinator (2012) PEPFAR blueprint: creating an AIDS-free generation. Washington (D.C.): The Office of the Global AIDS Coordinator.
5. NcNeil DG (2011 November 8) Clinton aims for “AIDS-free generation”. The New York Times: A16.
6. CohenMS, ChenYQ, McCauleyM, GambleT, HosseinipourMC, et al. (2011) Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 365: 493–505.
7. TanserF, BärnighausenT, GrapsaE, ZaidiJ, NewellML (2013) High coverage of ART associated with decline in risk of HIV acquisition in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Science 339: 966–971.
8. EatonJW, JohnsonLF, SalomonJA, BärnighausenT, BendavidE, et al. (2012) HIV treatment as prevention: systematic comparison of mathematical models of the potential impact of antiretroviral therapy on HIV incidence in South Africa. PLoS Med 9: e1001245.
9. GranichRM, GilksCF, DyeC, De CockKM, WilliamsBG (2009) Universal voluntary HIV testing with immediate antiretroviral therapy as a strategy for elimination of HIV transmission: a mathematical model. Lancet 373: 48–57.
10. HontelezJA, LurieMN, BärnighausenT, BakkerR, BaltussenR, et al. (2013) Elimination of HIV in South Africa through expanded access to antiretroviral therapy: a model comparison study. PLoS Med 10: e1001534.
11. IwujiCC, Orne-GliemannJ, TanserF, BoyerS, LessellsR, et al. (2013) Evaluation of the impact of immediate versus WHO recommendations-guided antiretroviral therapy initiation on HIV incidence: the ANRS 12249 TasP (Treatment as Prevention) trial in Hlabisa sub-district, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial. Trials 14: 230.
12. (2013) PopART. Available: http://www.lshtm.ac.uk/eph/ide/research/popart/. Accessed 16 May 2014.
13. (2011) Harvard School of Public Health award $20 million CDC grant to study HIV prevention in Botswana. Available: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/20-million-grant-hiv-botswana/. Accessed 16 May 2014.
14. World Medical Association (2013) Declaration of Helsinki—ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. Available: http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/b3/index.html. Accessed 16 May 2014.
15. MalazaA, MossongJ, BärnighausenT, ViljoenJ, NewellM-L (2013) Population-based CD4 counts in a rural area in South Africa with high HIV prevalence and high antiretroviral treatment coverage. PLoS ONE 8: e70126.
16. EyawoO, de WalqueD, FordN, GakiiG, LesterRT, et al. (2010) HIV status in discordant couples in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infectious Diseases 10: 770–777.
17. LingappaJR, LambdinB, BukusiEA, NgureK, KavumaL, et al. (2008) Regional differences in prevalence of HIV-1 discordance in Africa and enrollment of HIV-1 discordant couples into an HIV-1 prevention trial. PLoS ONE 3: e1411.
18. WHO HIV/AIDS Programme (2012) Guidance on couples HIV testing and counselling including antiretroviral therapy for treatment and prevention in serodiscordant couples. Geneva: WHO.
19. ChemaitellyH, CreminI, SheltonJ, HallettTB, Abu-RaddadLJ (2012) Distinct HIV discordancy patterns by epidemic size in stable sexual partnerships in sub-Saharan Africa. Sex Transm Infect 88: 51–57.
20. ThompsonMA, AbergJA, HoyJF, TelentiA, BensonC, et al. (2012) Antiretroviral treatment of adult HIV infection: 2012 recommendations of the International Antiviral Society-USA panel. JAMA 308: 387–402.
21. WHO (2013) Global update on HIV treatment 2013: results, impact and opportunities. Geneva: WHO/UNICEF/UNAIDS.
22. Stone P (2011) The luck of the draw. New York: Oxford University Press.
23. Frick J (2013) Uncertainty and justifiability to each person. Eyal N, Hurst SA, Norheim OF, Wikler D, editors. Inequalities in health: concepts, measures, and ethics. New York: Oxford University Press.
24. DanielsN (2012) Reasonable disagreement about identified vs. statistical victims. Hastings Cent Rep 42: 35–45.
25. BroomeJ (1990) Fairness. P? Aristotelian Soc 91: 87–101.
26. BaickerK, TaubmanSL, AllenHL, BernsteinM, GruberJH, et al. (2013) The Oregon experiment—effects of Medicaid on clinical outcomes. New Engl J Med 368: 1713–1722.