1. ZhangM, ZhangX, QureshiA, EliassenH, HankinsonS, et al. (2014) Association between cutaneous nevi and breast cancer in the Nurses' Health Study: a prospective cohort study. PLoS Med 11: e1001659.
2. KvaskoffM, BijonA, MesrineS, VilierA, BagliettoL, et al. (2014) Association between melanocytic nevi and risk of breast diseases: the French E3N prospective cohort. PLoS Med 11: e1001660.
3. GreenA, SwerdlowAJ (1989) Epidemiology of melanocytic nevi. Epidemiol Rev 11: 204–221.
4. GandiniS, SeraF, CattaruzzaMS, PasquiniP, AbeniD, et al. (2005) Meta-analysis of risk factors for cutaneous melanoma: I. Common and atypical naevi. Eur J Cancer 41: 28–44.
5. GrichnikJM, RossAL, SchneiderSL, SanchezMI, EllerMS, et al. (2014) How, and from which cell sources, do nevi really develop? Exp Dermatol 23: 310–313.
6. BlanpainC (2013) Tracing the cellular origin of cancer. Nat Cell Biol 15: 126–134.
7. YagerJD, DavidsonNE (2006) Estrogen carcinogenesis in breast cancer. New Engl J Med 354: 270–282.
8. MacKieRM, EnglishJ, AitchisonTC, FitzsimonsCP, WilsonP (1985) The number and distribution of benign pigmented moles (melanocytic naevi) in a healthy British population. Brit J Dermatol 113: 167–174.
9. SanchezJL, FigueroaLD, RodriguezE (1984) Behavior of melanocytic nevi during pregnancy. The Am J Dermatopath 6: S89–S91.
10. ChaudhuriPK, WalkerMJ, BrieleHA, BeattieCW, GuptaTK (1980) Incidence of estrogen receptor in benign nevi and human malignant melanoma. JAMA 244: 791–793.
11. SnellRS, BischitzPG (1960) The effect of large doses of estrogen and estrogen and progesterone on melanin pigmentation. J Invest Dermatol 35: 73–82.
12. KvaskoffM, HanJ, QureshiAA, MissmerSA (2014) Pigmentary traits, family history of melanoma and the risk of endometriosis: a cohort study of US women. Int J Epidemiol 43: 255–263.
13. GorlinRJ, KoutlasIG (1998) Multiple schwannomas, multiple nevi, and multiple vaginal leiomyomas: a new dominant syndrome. Am J Med Genet 78: 76–81.
14. FreedmanAN, SeminaraD, GailMH, HartgeP, ColditzGA, et al. (2005) Cancer risk prediction models: a workshop on development, evaluation, and application. J Natl Cancer I 97: 715–723.
15. National Cancer Institute, DCCPS, Surveillance Research Program, Cancer Statistics Branch (2013) Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program (www.seer.cancer.gov) DevCan database: “SEER 18 Incidence and Mortality, 2000–2010, with Kaposi Sarcoma and Mesothelioma.” Based on the November 2012 submission. Underlying mortality data provided by NCHS (www.cdc.gov/nchs).
16. BuettnerPG, GarbeC (2000) Agreement between self-assessment of melanocytic nevi by patients and dermatologic examination. Am J Epidemiol 151: 72–77.