1. MartinM, Del CachoE, CodinaC, TusetM, De LazzariE, et al. (2008) Relationship between adherence level, type of the antiretroviral regimen, and plasma HIV type 1 RNA viral load: a prospective cohort study. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24: 1263–1268.
2. CohenMS, ChenYQ, McCauleyM, GambleT, HosseinipourMC, et al. (2011) Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 365: 493–505.
3. KitahataMM, GangeSJ, AbrahamAG, MerrimanB, SaagMS, et al. (2009) Effect of early versus deferred antiretroviral therapy for HIV on survival. N Engl J Med 360: 1815–1826.
4. International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (2008) World Disaster Report 2008: Focus on HIV and AIDS. Geneva: International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. pp. 118–141.
5. PorterM, HaslamN (2005) Predisplacement and postdisplacement factors associated with mental health of refugees and internally displaced persons - a meta-analysis. JAMA 294: 602–612.
6. World Bank (2013) Fragile and conflict-affected situations (FCS). Available: http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/NEWS/0,contentMDK:20042303~menuPK:34480~pagePK:64257043~piPK:437376~theSitePK:4607,00.html. Accessed 10 October 2012.
7. UNHCR (2012) Statistical Yearbook 2012. Geneva: UNHCR. Available: http://www.unhcr.org/statistics.
8. Lowicki-ZuccaM, SpiegelPB, KellyS, DehneKL, WalkerN, et al. (2008) Estimates of HIV burden in emergencies. Sex Transm Infect 84 Suppl 1i42–i48.
9. Uppsala University Department of Peace and Conflict Research (2012) Uppsala Conflict Data Program Conflict Encyclopedia. Available: http://www.pcr.uu.se/research/ucdp/definitions/#Active. Accessed 13 March 2012.
10. SpiegelPB, ChecchiF, ColomboS, PaikE (2010) Health-care needs of people affected by conflict: future trends and changing frameworks. Lancet 375: 341–345.
11. United Nations General Assembly (1951) Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, 28 July 1951, United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 189, p. 137. Available: http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/docid/3be01b964.html.
12. Inter-agency Standing Committee (2010) Handbook for the protection of internally displaced persons. Geneva: UNHCR. Available: http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/docid/4790cbc02.html.
13. UNHCR (2007) Handbook for emergencies (3rd edition). Geneva: UNHCR. Available: http://www.refworld.org/pdfid/46a9e29a2.pdf.
14. FordN (2009) Treating AIDS in complex emergencies: the need for clear policy consensus. Progress in Development Studies 9: 55–61.
15. NosykB, MontanerJS (2012) The evolving landscape of the economics of HIV treatment and prevention. PLoS Med 9: e1001174.
16. NachegaJB, MillsEJ, SchechterM (2010) Antiretroviral therapy adherence and retention in care in middle-income and low-income countries: current status of knowledge and research priorities. Curr Opin HIV AIDS 5: 70–77.
17. LeaningJ, SpiegelP, CrispJ (2011) Public health equity in refugee situations. Confl Health 5: 6.
18. PersadG, WertheimerA, EmanuelEJ (2009) Principles for allocation of scarce medical interventions. Lancet 373: 423–431.
19. PillayN (2008) Right to health and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Lancet 372: 2005–2006.
20. United Nations General Assembly (1966) International Covenant on Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights, 16 December 1966, United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 993, p. 3. New York. Available: http://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6b36c0.html.
21. United Nations Commission on Human Rights (2003) Commission on Human Rights Resolution 2003/29: Access to Medication in the Context of Pandemics Such as HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, 22 April 2003, E/CN.4/RES/2003/29. New York. Available: ttp://www.refworld.org/docid/43f3132ed1.html.
22. TrippayyaV (2005) Botswana: refugees not entitled to same services as citizens. HIV AIDS Policy Law Rev 10: 27–28.
23. PatelP, RobertsB, GuyS, Lee-JonesL, ContehL (2009) Tracking official development assistance for reproductive health in conflict-affected countries. PLoS Med 6: e1000090.
24. SpiegelPB, HeringH, PaikE, SchilperoordM (2010) Conflict-affected displaced persons need to benefit more from HIV and malaria national strategic plans and Global Fund grants. Confl Health 4: 2.
25. Burton A (2010) HIV, refugees and conflict-affected populations in Asia. Forced Migration Review Oct 2010 (Suppl.).
26. Mendelsohn JB, Schilperoord M, Spiegel P, Ross DA (2012) Adherence to antiretroviral therapy and treatment outcomes in conflict-affected and forcibly displaced populations: a systematic review. Confl Health 6: 9.
27. McCarthyK, ChersichMF, VeareyJ, Meyer-RathG, JafferA, et al. (2009) Good treatment outcomes among foreigners receiving antiretroviral therapy in Johannesburg, South Africa. Int J STD AIDS 20: 858–862.
28. Mendelsohn JB, Spiegel P, Schilperoord M, Balasundaram S, Radhakrishnan A, et al.. (2014) Is forced migration a barrier to treatment success? Similar HIV treatment outcomes among refugees and a surrounding host community in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. AIDS Behav 18: : 323–334.
29. Mendelsohn JB, Schilperoord M, Spiegel P, Burton JW, Okonji JA, et al.. (2012) Poor treatment outcomes among both refugees and host community accessing highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) from Kakuma refugee camp in northwestern Kenya (THPDD0102). In: Proceedings of the International AIDS Conference; 22–27 July 2012; Washington (D.C.), United States.
30. Pyne-MercierLD, John-StewartGC, RichardsonBA, KagonduNL, ThigaJ, et al. (2011) The consequences of post-election violence on antiretroviral HIV therapy in Kenya. AIDS Care 23: 562–568.
31. FeikinDR, AdazuK, OborD, OgwangS, VululeJ, et al. (2010) Mortality and health among internally displaced persons in western Kenya following post-election violence, 2008: novel use of demographic surveillance. Bull World Health Organ 88: 601–608.
32. The Sphere Project (2011) The Sphere Handbook: Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Humanitarian Response (3ed). Rugby, UK. Available: http://www.sphereproject.org/resources/download-publications/?search=1&keywords=&language=English&category=22.
33. The Sphere Project (2011) What is new in the Sphere Handbook 2011 edition. Available: http://www.sphereproject.org/silo/files/what-is-new-in-the-sphere-handbook-2011-edition.pdf. Accessed 16 April 2012.
34. Inter-agency Standing Working Group on Reproductive Health in Crises (2010) Inter-agency field manual on reproductive health in humanitarian settings - 2010 revision for field review. Geneva. Available: http://www.iawg.net/IAFM%202010.pdf.
35. Inter-agency Standing Committee (2010) Guidelines for addressing HIV in humanitarian settings. Geneva: UNAIDS. Available: http://www.humanitarianinfo.org/iasc/pageloader.aspx?page=content-products-products&productcatid=9.
36. World Health Organization (2013) Consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection: recommendations for a public health approach. Geneva. Available: http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/arv2013/en/index.html.
37. UNHCR (2013) Global strategy for four public health sectors: public health: a UNHCR strategy 2014–2018. Geneva: UNHCR. p. 33–43
38. GarnettGP, BeckerS, BertozziS (2012) Treatment as prevention: translating efficacy trial results to population effectiveness. Curr Opin HIV AIDS 7: 157–163.
39. ThompsonMA, MugaveroMJ, AmicoKR, CargillVA, ChangLW, et al. (2012) Guidelines for improving entry into and retention in care and antiretroviral adherence for persons with HIV: evidence-based recommendations from an International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care panel. Ann Intern Med 156: 817–833.
40. SimoniJM, KurthAE, PearsonCR, PantaloneDW, MerrillJO, et al. (2006) Self-report measures of antiretroviral therapy adherence: a review with recommendations for HIV research and clinical management. AIDS Behav 10: 227–245.
41. McMahonJH, JordanMR, KelleyK, BertagnolioS, HongSY, et al. (2011) Pharmacy adherence measures to assess adherence to antiretroviral therapy: review of the literature and implications for treatment monitoring. Clin Infect Dis 52: 493–506.
42. HorvathT, AzmanH, KennedyGE, RutherfordGW (2012) Mobile phone text messaging for promoting adherence to antiretroviral therapy in patients with HIV infection. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3: CD009756.
43. ChungMH, RichardsonBA, TapiaK, Benki-NugentS, KiarieJN, et al. (2011) A randomized controlled trial comparing the effects of counseling and alarm device on HAART adherence and virologic outcomes. PLoS Med 8: e1000422.
44. SimoniJM, NelsonKM, FranksJC, YardSS, LehavotK (2011) Are peer interventions for HIV efficacious? A systematic review. AIDS Behav 15: 1589–1595.
45. Olupot-OlupotP, KataweraA, CooperC, SmallW, AnemaA, et al. (2008) Adherence to antiretroviral therapy among a conflict-affected population in Northeastern Uganda: a qualitative study. AIDS 22: 1882–1884.
46. TullerDM, BangsbergDR, SenkunguJ, WareNC, EmenyonuN, et al. (2010) Transportation costs impede sustained adherence and access to HAART in a clinic population in southwestern Uganda: a qualitative study. AIDS Behav 14: 778–784.
47. KibonekaA, NyatiaRJ, NabiryoC, AnemaA, CooperCL, et al. (2009) Combination antiretroviral therapy in population affected by conflict: outcomes from large cohort in northern Uganda. BMJ 338: b201.
48. VeenstraN, WhitesideA, LallooD, GibbsA (2010) Unplanned antiretroviral treatment interruptions in southern Africa: how should we be managing these? Global Health 6: 4.
49. de WaalA (2010) Reframing governance, security and conflict in the light of HIV/AIDS: a synthesis of findings from the AIDS, security and conflict initiative. Soc Sci Med 70: 114–120.
50. KwanCK, ErnstJD (2011) HIV and tuberculosis: a deadly human syndemic. Clin Microbiol Rev 24: 351–376.
51. UNHCR (2006) Note on HIV/AIDS and the protection of refugees, IDPs and other persons of concern, 5 April 2006. Geneva: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. Available: http://www.refworld.org/docid/4444f0884.html.
52. UNAIDS UNHCR (2005) Strategies to support the HIV-related needs of refugees and host populations. Geneva. Available: http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/dataimport/publications/irc-pub06/jc1157-refugees_en.pdf.
53. VreemanRC, NyandikoWM, SangE, MusickBS, BraitsteinP, et al. (2009) Impact of the Kenya post-election crisis on clinic attendance and medication adherence for HIV-infected children in western Kenya. Confl Health 3: 5.
54. KibonekaA, NyatiaRJ, NabiryoC, Olupot-OlupotP, AnemaA, et al. (2008) Pediatric HIV therapy in armed conflict. AIDS 22: 1097–1098.
55. UNHCR, Southern African HIV Clinicians Society (2007) Clinical guidelines for antiretroviral therapy management for displaced populations. Geneva: UNHCR. Available: http://www.unhcr.org/4683b0522.html.
56. Médecins Sans Frontières (2012) Providing antiretroviral therapy for mobile populations: lessons learned from a cross border ARV program in Musina, South Africa. Cape Town: Médecins Sans Frontières. Available: http://www.msfaccess.org/sites/default/files/MSF_assets/HIV_AIDS/Docs/AIDS_report_ARTformobilepops_ENG_2012.pdf.